Jump to content Jump to content

Gear Ratio Tuning

Hey, guess what. After a quick test, I've noticed that tuning your gear ratios affects you car in ways that it shouldn't. Here's my example. The Koenigsegg Agera R has a 0-60 of about 2.23 seconds, 0-120 of about 5.14 seconds, and a 0-180 of about 10.84 seconds. Now, I set the ratio to -100. 0-60 dropped by 0.01 seconds, 0-120 dropped by 0.1 seconds, and the 0-180 by 0.07 seconds. Weird, right? Seeing as how close gear ratios are supposed to IMPROVE acceleration. But, there's more. Pushed the ratios to +100. All three times were almost identical to the unmodified run. Even the top speeds matched on the Yas Marina back straight (220, compared to the -100, which was 204).

Long story short, if you max out your top speed, your acceleration will be unaffected, and tuning for acceleration will only hurt the car. I don't know how this affects other cars, and I don't feel like doing any others......what? Get off my case.
Unfortunately you are right. Take the car to indy and try to max out on the straight. With +100 I reach 370kph (+-3, depending on corner exit) when hitting the wall. Im in 6th@7k rpm. With +-0 Ratio I reach 370 aswell, though my theoretical top speed is lower. I should be way faster.

Seems like they didn't bother to take the ratio into account for acceleration. This gets worse and worse. :D 
One thing it affects though is the handling on the car, as it behaves differently at certain revs. When doing the Intel challenge with the Ute, the car was easier to control for me, when having a higher gear ratio.
So I guess it's 'know the minimum ratio for a track and from there to the top it's tuning to the right feeling.
This is pretty nice to know, thanks for pointing that out. :D 
maybe the straight on yas marina isnt long enough too get faster.  
The Agera R could do 273 MPH in Grid 2

Can it do the same in Autosport.  Indy GP was where I could hit 273mph..............then crash into the wall.  
I don't think 270 in Autosport is possible. The Agera doesn't have the ridiculous power it did in Grid 2. The fastest I've gone so far is 255 in the Indycar, but that was without a draft. Maybe in a slipstream, you could hit 270.

@revesburger That should be true, in theory. But with max speed tuning, your acceleration shouldn't be the same as stock tuning. I don't remember what gear/revs I was at, though.

On another note, if you're in a playlist, and you're the only one who owns an Indycar, and an oval track comes up, you will not lose with max speed tuning. I started on pole yesterday, and at the launch, no one came close to passing me, so this goes for the Indycar as well.
Um sorry to put this out here and maybe squash your ideas about CM getting the gears wrong. If you shorten the Argeras gear ratio its acceleration gets slower but, if you shorten say The Migilia hears its acceleration will get faster. Comes down to one very important factor wheelspin nothing more nothing less.

Think about it this way if you take off from a standing stop in a high powered car when will it stop spinning the tires 3rd maybe even 4th gear?  I am not saying the fastest time will be the longest gear ratio either. The quickest acceleration will probably come from somewhere in the middle.

And yes having not as much wheel spin coming out of a corner will have a direct effect on how a car handles. For example a car on a snow covered road, will handle completely different. Than same car on the same road, only now the road is dry. It all comes down to grip.

Also a difference that folks do not take notice of is: for example you are at Mount Panorama and you are  going the  

This is also why.the top speed is effected down the Yas Marima straight too. And as far as the oval top speed? Well that is a science all of its own. Long story short if your wheels are spinning your not going nearly as fast as a car that is right the edge of spinning and grip. 
Sorry some service error forced me to post that unfinished post above.
My example: Going around Mount Panorama the proper way (counter-clockwise). And you are going down the backstretch and your car hits redline at say 200 and you need to slow down to 100 to make the 1st lefet handed corner you brake at a certain point for that to happen. Now same car & track except you lengthen your gears and now you hit 220 but you stiil need to get down to 100 to make the same corner well you are going to have to brake earlier to get down to 100. If you don't you end up in the gravel traps. The same thing happens when people are drafting they forget they are going faster and either run into the back of someone or miss them and go into the gravel trap.
TUSMBOX said:
maybe the straight on yas marina isnt long enough too get faster.  
The Agera R could do 273 MPH in Grid 2

Can it do the same in Autosport.  Indy GP was where I could hit 273mph..............then crash into the wall.  
I don't think 270 in Autosport is possible. The Agera doesn't have the ridiculous power it did in Grid 2. The fastest I've gone so far is 255 in the Indycar, but that was without a draft. Maybe in a slipstream, you could hit 270.

@revesburger That should be true, in theory. But with max speed tuning, your acceleration shouldn't be the same as stock tuning. I don't remember what gear/revs I was at, though.

On another note, if you're in a playlist, and you're the only one who owns an Indycar, and an oval track comes up, you will not lose with max speed tuning. I started on pole yesterday, and at the launch, no one came close to passing me, so this goes for the Indycar as well.
Just a quick side note IndyCar with draft I've gotten it to 278 on autosport backstretch. 
@V8R3L3NTL3SS1‌ I ran some online playlist Indycar one day under the everything playlist. And I own a Indycar and I passed this guy for the lead he was going 230mph he said & I passed him like he was sitting still! I think I was at 274 at the corner. He sent me a msg wondefing how the @$#& could I pass him like that? I told him because I used 7th gear of course! I used a default livery so he did not know it was my car. Poor guy probably kept trying 7th gear the next time Indy's came up >:). Sory off topic I know but it just reminded me of that race.

a race is never unfair if both have the same car (with same tunning, obvisouly). also, having a 7th gear means nothing if you can't draft as the wind in your face won't allow you to go super fast
The Indycars don't have a 7th gear. I was just messing with the person I beat. He did not know that I owned my car and was able to tune it. So yeah it is a bit unfair. But I can't help it he does not have a Indycar.