Sign in to follow this  

Grid Autosport

its pretty simple why they arent doing next gen , hardly anybody has them compared to the huge numbers of 360 and ps3's  , youre mates may have shiny new ps4 and xbox one, but what happened to the 360 and ps3 they sold :-) , its all down to the money. codies wont make anywhere near as much if they released on next gen.

burgor57 said:
Got the news today and pre-ordered after seeing the preview video and from what I read. As a big motorsport racing game fan I loved GRID1 and was so looking forward to GRID2. But man was I disappointed with that game. Never bothered to finish it. Hate it. I want back to basics real track based racing. Realistic scenarios and realistic challenging AI. I HOPE this version brings that to life and is not another disappointment. Can't figure why they are releasing for PS3 and not PS4 however? Anyone at Codemasters got the answer to that?
Their official answer is that they are catering to their core audience who have told them that they are not moving to next-gen just yet. (Spin, as usual.)

The real reason, of course, is that they wanted to get this game out quick to capitalise on the disappointment of Grid 2, but they haven't had time to develop it for a new platform.

They know all the people that hated grid 2 are on last gen consoles. That is their market.

Goonertez said:
Balb0wa said:
who needs a demo, it will be out in 2 months, the fact that codies have said the handling will be a lot better, and more circuits is enough for me to buy it.
I do!

I read what ya sayin but i still need a demo.
Same here.  Or post-release feedback that is pro-handling .  What Loore is saying now about a GRID A demo is about what he was saying a year ago about a G2 demo.  Hasn't said anything about it being put into the hopper later for post-release or not.  Which would be better than nothing, but I'll probably be making a buy/or not decision pretty quickly after release.

Saying that the handling will be a lot better is fine, but doesn't really help much.  I have to play it, or read a positive report from someone whose judgment I trust.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

The eurogamer preview looks pretty promising, the gameplay resembles GRID 1 style handling without the 'floaty' feeling that was removed in GRID 2. The reviewer said that he wasn't a fan of the second game, but said that this feels much truer to the original. And the only time I've seen someone try and drift they crashed into a wall.

Just make a "simple" update of TOCA 2 with more modern graphics + sound and a little 2014 car handling editing, add some Racenet and you're ready to sell a new game - I would buy that imidiately, with or without more DLC.

Awong124 said:
@Loore

I just popped in GRID1 again last night and played for a few hours. One of the big things that bugged me that I don't believe has been discussed yet is that the races in career mode are too short. Most races being only a couple of laps long isn't realistic and really breaks the immersion. In my opinion, races need to be at least 10 laps long to be really engaging. I know that a lot of people don't want really long races, but can't you just have the option like in the F1 games where you can choose the race length? Then everybody will be happy. It isn't that difficult to implement something like that is it? I know it's been said that there aren't going to be pitstops, but tire wear can just be rescaled like in the F1 games.
In the career you'll be able to change the number of laps per race, up to a maximum of 20, or 40 minutes for an Endurance race.

Hear what you're saying about a demo guys, we're still looking at a few ways to get the game into the hands of you. At the very least you'll be able to have judgement from those whose word you trust, that much I'm sure.

Loore said:
Awong124 said:
@Loore

I just popped in GRID1 again last night and played for a few hours. One of the big things that bugged me that I don't believe has been discussed yet is that the races in career mode are too short. Most races being only a couple of laps long isn't realistic and really breaks the immersion. In my opinion, races need to be at least 10 laps long to be really engaging. I know that a lot of people don't want really long races, but can't you just have the option like in the F1 games where you can choose the race length? Then everybody will be happy. It isn't that difficult to implement something like that is it? I know it's been said that there aren't going to be pitstops, but tire wear can just be rescaled like in the F1 games.
In the career you'll be able to change the number of laps per race, up to a maximum of 20, or 40 minutes for an Endurance race.

Sweet! That's great to hear. That's been one of my biggest gripes with most racing games I've played. I'm glad you guys have addressed it.

ChokDK said:
Just make a "simple" update of TOCA 2 with more modern graphics + sound and a little 2014 car handling editing, add some Racenet and you're ready to sell a new game - I would buy that imidiately, with or without more DLC.
I’d guess there are probably so many licences in TOCA 2 that would need renewing, if they even still exist, that it’s probably a lot more effort than starting over.

ooh.. yeah that's possible.
I hope that GRID A will be "almost" close to TOCA 2 in all or at least most cars and tracks.

Or an option for modders to make it so.
With all that interest I've seen about TOCA lately I guess a "clever" modder would choose TOCA as a must-do.

VDG said:
So there are no pitstops.. how do we have to deal with damage then? Will be really frustrating especially in endurance races.
SP:  restart, restart, restart . . . pitstop?  What's that?

and something else about replays , plz we want grid 1 and formula series pure motorsport style replays , than Grid's 2 and Dirt's 3 cinematic style...lol
:-j
I'd disagree with GRID 1's replays being purely motorsport replays; there's a lot of 'zapping' and shots more typical to Days of Thunder or RUSH rather than a broadcast of a race on national television.

Otherwise I'm 100% with you here.
Way back in the wayback when I started playing GRID SP I thought the replays were kind of silly, but I got hooked on them pretty quick.  They may be kind of silly, but man they're so much fun.  Please keep them just like that in GRID A.

Frank

Hoping for replays saved in a common type (MP4 etc) so it's easy to implement in video footage.

RubyRuby said:
Goonertez said:
Balb0wa said:
who needs a demo, it will be out in 2 months, the fact that codies have said the handling will be a lot better, and more circuits is enough for me to buy it.
I do!

I read what ya sayin but i still need a demo.
Same here.  Or post-release feedback that is pro-handling .  What Loore is saying now about a GRID A demo is about what he was saying a year ago about a G2 demo.  Hasn't said anything about it being put into the hopper later for post-release or not.  Which would be better than nothing, but I'll probably be making a buy/or not decision pretty quickly after release.

Saying that the handling will be a lot better is fine, but doesn't really help much.  I have to play it, or read a positive report from someone whose judgment I trust.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.
You said the same thing about Grid 2 yet despite all the negative feedback on the forums you still eventually bought the game. So why not save yourself some time and just buy the game on release, you know you'll eventually buy it anyway :D

Why not get the game out then release a demo? That way you can focus on finishing it first, then people who aren't sure can try the demo later. Just an idea!

@ Workhorse:

I haven't spent a nickel on G2.  It was gifted to me.  Spent about 30 hours on it, and that was enough for me.  I enjoy playing GRID too much to devote more racing time to G2.  I swore an oath to myself after playing DiRT3 that I wouldn't pre-order another Codies game without a demo.  So far I've kept it.

Frank

Not sure if this has been asked, I saw the corner cut penalty in action in one of the videos out there, is this still in use online? It caused the most ridiculous pileups in Grid 2, would rather the offender was ghosted when it happened.

I think they said that it is back online, but cars will be ghosted when they do
Something called Penalty Ghosting was mentioned by Loore in another thread which I'm guessing will apply to corner cutting penalties.

I'm hugely excited for this one. 

While I've enjoyed playing some sims in recent months the racing game I'm looking for now would allow me to jump in and experience authentic racing without too much hustle. It turns out I don't have time to pump in 100 laps in iRacing to be at all competitive.

The direction taken by the game clearly shows that Codies have listended, they care and they want the game to be complete and be to core gamer's liking.

The improvements in multiplayer options and collision dynamics will hopefully make this game ideal for fun and close league racing. One can never judge handling by watching videos, but the signs are that the handling has been over-turned (pun?) into a model, which would reward skill and clean driving.

I'm also enjoying how Codies are interacting on the new forum. I think @Loore needs to stop replying to questions at 10pm ! It's also great to have a friendly dev regularly reply to questions @Britpoint

Not sure if this has been asked, I saw the corner cut penalty in action in one of the videos out there, is this still in use online? It caused the most ridiculous pileups in Grid 2, would rather the offender was ghosted when it happened.
Cars ghost when they get the penalty :)

Loore said:
@Loore A 5 second penalty and slowed down to first gear like Shift if you cut a corner would be good

Loore said:
@Loore A 5 second penalty and slowed down to first gear like Shift if you cut a corner would be good
When you cut a corner you loose all power to the car and coast along as if in 1st gear. You'll also be ghosted. The more severe the penalty, the longer you'll be effected for.

As long as they're ghosted it's all good, should be more fun online looking at the way you're tackling dirty drivers.

While I've enjoyed playing some sims in recent months the racing game I'm looking for now would allow me to jump in and experience authentic racing without too much hustle. It turns out I don't have time to pump in 100 laps in iRacing to be at all competitive.

The direction taken by the game clearly shows that Codies have listended, they care and they want the game to be complete and be to core gamer's liking.

The improvements in multiplayer options and collision dynamics will hopefully make this game ideal for fun and close league racing. One can never judge handling by watching videos, but the signs are that the handling has been over-turned (pun?) into a model, which would reward skill and clean driving.

I'm also enjoying how Codies are interacting on the new forum. I think @Loore needs to stop replying to questions at 10pm ! It's also great to have a friendly dev regularly reply to questions @Britpoint
must admit I'm pretty excited for it too now

Hi mate. Thanks for the kind words :) I told @Loore to get some sleep the other night. He said he would but I caught him posting about an hour later. He just loves answering those questions! 

I'm hoping leagues will get on well with Autosport. We've had lots of close racing internally, and when the rest of the car handling team and I have a race it's generally very tight as we're of pretty similar skill levels. I'd be over the moon to watch some league highlights on YouTube!

As for the handling, we've already posted a bunch about what we're going for. I will say that part of what I and some other designers do involves balance checks on the cars. So we'll do lap after lap after lap in order to check times. If at any point I get into a drift, the lap's ruined because I know I've just thrown a tenth or so down the drain. That's a big part of what we mean by 'authenticity;' a car may not behave 100% as its real life counterpart would, but you have to drive according to the same principles of real cars in order to be quick.

Loore said:
Loore said:
When you cut a corner you loose all power to the car and coast along as if in 1st gear. You'll also be ghosted. The more severe the penalty, the longer you'll be effected for.
Problem with ghosting ive seen in other game is when someone is in front of a pack and gets the ghost penalty they normally reappear in front and cause a wreak from everyone else avoiding him, so how about making that car reappear in last place?