Sign in to follow this  

Future of DiRT 4 - The road ahead?

So, I'm somewhere in the middle with D4 at the moment; it doesn't excite me like DR and the locations/tiles are way too few for my liking, but I felt like it was a really strong base to build something bigger and better from. However, my biggest disappointment has been the disappearance of the visibility and clarity over the future. After the excellent experience as a customer of DR, I was hoping for something similar here (I realise that's partially my fault for treating Early Access and full game release in the same way).

Pretty much everything I've bought in the last few years (Football Manager, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, Total War) has had strong ongoing support and communication whereas it basically seems to have disappeared immediately after launch with this title.

I realise this is unlikely the dev team's choice and no doubt corporate has dragged them onto something else, but this is the best place for me to get that off my chest. Hope to see this change for this purchase or for any future titles (which I almost certainly won't pre-order again without a 'road map').

So, now that F1 2017 is out in the open, all the manpower is back at D4. (Does this sentence need a questionmark?)

Can we expect
- Communication / Road Books?
- Bugfixes?
- Odd-feature corrections (more than 4 setup slots, getting the chief engineer meds for his volatile mood, being able to use >85 setups in Dirtfish, etc...)?
- The big physics update?
- Leagues?
- Revealing plans for future DLCs (cars, stages, locations, RX tracks, patterns)?

While I realise that this isn't shedding too much light on the situation, we can definitely say yes to some of these. Once we're in a position to talk about things a bit more, we will - but we'll be ticking at least a few off this list. I know it's frustrating to not hear from us over the last few weeks, but there are things going on behind the scenes - so thanks for being patient with us.
@ChristinaMc any chance to shed some light about Nvidia SLI issues please?

I posted this on reddit, but I feel like posting here as well. I think you are too hard on Dirt 4.
I'm a big fan of Rally games, have put many hours into Dirt Rally and I felt really reluctant to buy Dirt 4 after hearing about the screwed handling, repetitive tracks etc. When I finally bought it, I got surprised how much it improved over Dirt Rally in some areas!
  • the atmosphere of rallying: weather changes, broken cars on the side of the road, co-pilots comments before and after the stage, stopping the car yourself at the end of the stage.. it all reminds me of another great rally game, namely WRC Rally Evolved on PS2.
  • rich management options and livery customisation, together with improved service area. You can now wash the car and inspect it, decide on the number of spare tires, choose a quick fix instead of standard... so cool.
  • sound and music are improved throughout the game. The crashes, suspension and brakes sound great from the cockpit camera.
  • this is apparently debatable, but I like the graphics better. The different weather conditions can make replays very beautiful. The tracks do feel slightly repetitive after some time, but thanks to the your stage system it's closer to a real rally than circuit racing, where you memorise the track perfectly (as it inevitably happens in every other rally game). Ideally, we should have both made tracks, as well as randomly generated ones..

As far as handling is concerned, I think it's a mixed bag. While it's true that rwd and some 4wd cars behave wierd, the kit car and R5 classes (and Subaru in N4 class) feel really, really good when you get in the rhythm. The aerodynamics and car weight are perfect for me.

All I'm saying is, maybe it's not an instant legend like Richard Burns Rally, but all things considered it's a very good game nonetheless. It just needs a few tweaks in the physics department, maybe some real world tracks or more tiles in the future. Come on Codemasters, I believe in you!

ShodanCat said:
Marshymaller said:
I think it's really a question of whether or not Codies sees this game as one they can still get more profit out of or if they're just going to dump support and move on. The radio silence is a pretty good sign that they honestly aren't sure whether to continue supporting the game, and with F1 2017 just coming out it's entirely possible they might decide to focus on building content for that, finish up clubs for D4 and call it a day. Still, nothing gained by worrying about possible futures, we just have to see what happens.
I agree, I think it comes down to a business decision now. They put a certain investment into Dirt 4, they either got what they hoped for or didn't, and now they did (or are doing) analysis on whether any further investment will pay off. It sucks, but that's the way business works, even video game development. However, I would say that they should probably factor in that if they decide that it's not worth any further development/updates, it'll leave quite a bitter taste in peoples' mouths for whatever they put out next.

I said this in another thread, but I'm so curious to know what the heck happened "behind the scenes" as it were. Given the total radio silence from the developers for 3 months, my guess is drama ensued over the tepid reception resulting in a "hands off" approach from the entire team. Bummer, they had such huge potential if they had committed but that's all in the trash now.
if you look at what most people say and reviews its not great or as good as dirt rally.while it may not net much more money the whole thing is the sour recption of the game.look at what Dirt rally did it put codemasters back in the driving seat for rally and even people who wernt rally applauded it.

that should of been built on and the thing is the dev team might not of even wanted to do Dirt 4 like its turned out.we would all like to know why Dirt 4 has turned out like it has but obviously thats not going to happen. i cant see much being done to Dirt 4 maybe few tweaks.

hopefuly the next game is the true successor to Dirt rally but better.

Considering that months after release the game can't properly generate ai times or consistently give calls for a corner before you've driven through it, I don't hold out much hope for it being improved significantly. I stopped playing ages ago and occasionally check here to see if the game I payed for works properly now, but all I ever find is infrequent vague comments that read like crowdfunding scam backer updates.

Honestly even if the next game is a true DR2, I probably won't be buying it. Feeling too burned by D4 to buy any more codemasters games any time soon.

• You can now wash the car and inspect it, decide on the number of spare tires, choose a quick fix instead of standard... so cool.
I agree that this is cool. I feel they really got the balance of damage right were you actually have to make decisions about what repairs you can fit into the allowed repair time

I bought SLRE in December to fill the DR-D4 gap and love it. I'm guilty of being one of those who didn't buy it on release because DR looked better. I was aware it had some issues and that the PC port had been pretty poor (I'm on PS4) but the game gets so much bad press. Only when I started searching forums to see if anyone had managed to map a controller as a handbrake did I see Milestone only fixed the big issues in October - 9 months after release! By then it was too late. People had given up with it and were declaring they'd never buy another Milestone game.
 If Codies aren't careful D4 go the same way.
I now check for news of progress more often than I play the game. I can switch between DR and SLRE easily - just have to remember to watch out for jumps when going SLRE-DR and to set the car up before the corner when going DR-SLRE. If I play D4 I struggle to go back to the others because the physics have messed up my head. In the DR and SLRE stamping on the accelerator pedal does not instantly recover a slide.

I wonder what the guys they took on from Evolution think. Driveclub may not have ben the best sim but it received regular fixes, improvements and even whole new locations for 2 years.

• You can now wash the car and inspect it, decide on the number of spare tires, choose a quick fix instead of standard... so cool.
I agree that this is cool. I feel they really got the balance of damage right were you actually have to make decisions about what repairs you can fit into the allowed repair time
I like the concept but I've never once had more damage than I could fully repair in a single service. And I've hit trees and rolled cars in that time too.

I bought SLRE in December to fill the DR-D4 gap and love it. I'm guilty of being one of those who didn't buy it on release because DR looked better. I was aware it had some issues and that the PC port had been pretty poor (I'm on PS4) but the game gets so much bad press. Only when I started searching forums to see if anyone had managed to map a controller as a handbrake did I see Milestone only fixed the big issues in October - 9 months after release! By then it was too late. People had given up with it and were declaring they'd never buy another Milestone game.
 If Codies aren't careful D4 go the same way.
I now check for news of progress more often than I play the game. I can switch between DR and SLRE easily - just have to remember to watch out for jumps when going SLRE-DR and to set the car up before the corner when going DR-SLRE. If I play D4 I struggle to go back to the others because the physics have messed up my head. In the DR and SLRE stamping on the accelerator pedal does not instantly recover a slide.

I wonder what the guys they took on from Evolution think. Driveclub may not have ben the best sim but it received regular fixes, improvements and even whole new locations for 2 years.
I picked up SLRE the other day via DD on the PS store for $9.  After 20 minutes of gameplay I wouldn't continue playing it even if I got it for free.  Not sure what I'm missing when I read rave reviews.  If SLRE is the competition then CM has nothing to worry about.  Immediately muted the awful menu music. Then I gave up hope on any sense of quality when the menu voiceover mispronounced 'livery'.  Next up are the absolutely horrid car sounds, followed by the gift Peugeot physics that were were sloppy at best and didn't give me much to look forward to, the co-driver is an idiot that gives you the countdown in the form of a question (3, 2, 1, go?), but I can probably deal with lackluster graphics if I didn't immediately get a poor first impression of everything else.

I *might* go back and give SLRE another chance, but I don't have enough time to waste on rubbish when there are so many better options out there.  And with even more games on the horizon this game will likely be deleted from my PS4.  I'm just irritated I bought a digital copy which I won't ever do again regardless of the price or game title. 

I like the concept but I've never once had more damage than I could fully repair in a single service. And I've hit trees and rolled cars in that time too.
An event with multiple 10km+ stages is where you start to see the need for better engineers – at that point you'll be wearing your car out no matter how carefully you drive.

cjr3559 said:
I picked up SLRE the other day via DD on the PS store for $9.  After 20 minutes of gameplay I wouldn't continue playing it even if I got it for free.  Not sure what I'm missing when I read rave reviews.  If SLRE is the competition then CM has nothing to worry about.  Immediately muted the awful menu music. Then I gave up hope on any sense of quality when the menu voiceover mispronounced 'livery'.  Next up are the absolutely horrid car sounds, followed by the gift Peugeot physics that were were sloppy at best and didn't give me much to look forward to, the co-driver is an idiot that gives you the countdown in the form of a question (3, 2, 1, go?), but I can probably deal with lackluster graphics if I didn't immediately get a poor first impression of everything else.

I *might* go back and give SLRE another chance, but I don't have enough time to waste on rubbish when there are so many better options out there.  And with even more games on the horizon this game will likely be deleted from my PS4.  I'm just irritated I bought a digital copy which I won't ever do again regardless of the price or game title. 

SLRE is really fantastic though and largely underrated. I have a blast with it on a PC + G27 in 1440p @ 60fps. Might be different on a console with the pad (if you used that). The amount of hand crafted stages is great and some of them are truly terrifying. Physics are excellent as well as FFB. Sound is very passable but still convey properly what the car is doing, and after a while you don't notice anymore. SLRE is typically a game where you have to spend some time with it before making a final judgement. It might not click immediately.

Did you manage to map a controller as a handbrake? I play on ps4 with the wheel, but I haven't got a handbrake and the fact that you cannot map it to a controller in SLRE is the game's biggest flaw. I can't drive effectively with the handbrake mapped to a wheel button, so it's pointless to even start the game.

So, now that F1 2017 is out in the open, all the manpower is back at D4. (Does this sentence need a questionmark?)

Can we expect
- Communication / Road Books?
- Bugfixes?
- Odd-feature corrections (more than 4 setup slots, getting the chief engineer meds for his volatile mood, being able to use >85 setups in Dirtfish, etc...)?
- The big physics update?
- Leagues?
- Revealing plans for future DLCs (cars, stages, locations, RX tracks, patterns)?

I'm glad you posted this. I've been wondering the same. I know Christina replied above but based on how CM has handled this game till now, the only thing I'm expecting is another lack luster showing from them. Btw, add problematic pace notes and unrealistic AI times to your list.

In the beginning I was certain of CM's dedication to the game. I gave that up over a month ago. And I'm not even referring to the physics debate/debacle. Just simple things that have not been addressed. Release is well behind us, vacations, holidays and other title releases taken care of. <insert sound of crickets>

If a DLC is released for D4 (and I'd really be surprised) I'd buy it as I enjoy D4 for the most part. But I will not pre-order the next CM title and may even wait for it to go to the bargain bin which can happen quickly.

Still not even a roadbook about what is comming or planned next.

It's like even after 3 month past release they still have to debate where to go next.
Or even if there is anywhere to go at all.

i just really wonder what happened. Just remember how they handled Dirt Rally, update wise as well as keeping us posted on what's gunna come. Now, not even 4 months after they released Dirt 4, they already seem to have lost interest in it and US, the ones who threw our cash at them.

I payed full price for that game because i thought it would be what they promised, a game with improved dirt rally physics and more content. Then when it became appearant that it wasn't quite what they promised, i still didn't get a refund hoping they'd improve the flaws like they did with Dirt Rally. Now that they stopped interacting with us and updating the game, i am really losing my faith in them.

I was expecting exactly the same, but what did I get:
1. Again a issues with wrong pacenotes (wrong direction, no direction, inconsistent distance - some are so late that you can't break although I set them to 'early' they are too late), but now it's more than 1 per stage as a wrong one occurs several times in a stage due to the small pieces thst are used to build a stage - already in DR lots of people, including myself, complained about the codriver issues and now they make the same mistake again
2. Joker issues - yesterday I did a custom RX event in 4 of the 6 parts of the event I was told by the spotter that I missed the entry of the Joker, in the first 3 occurences I had enough time to go for a second one - of course I got the comment that it wasn't needed to do a second joker. For the forth time I only used the green joker symbol as indicator that I didn't fail and I was right to do so - how many times people complained about that in the last weeks ..
3. How many unique kilometers of stages were designed for Dirt 4 ... I think far less than for Dirt Rally. In DR we finally had six locations with two comepletely different stages each (length app. 10km) + Pikes Peak app. 20km = 140km without any repetition. Now we have lots of repetitions even in the shortest stages and I fear when we analyze in detail there are even portions that are simply the mirrored pieces (driven backward) so I think overall we have <3km unique stage portions in D4 per rally, so overall I would say we are at a <15km indivual stages portions - WHAt A SHAME!

I have no problem to spend money for games but it needs to be worth it, but in this case it was wasted money and I'm not willing to buy any of your games in the future and I hope many people will behave the same way.
Any chance for a refund when we bought this game via steam. Imho I was screwed over, as the game is more an early beta than something I would call final, even the first early adaptor version of DR I played had more content and the same amount of errors, but I paid less than 1/2 of the money.

I have no problem to spend money for games but it needs to be worth it, but in this case it was wasted money and I'm not willing to buy any of your games in the future and I hope many people will behave the same way.
Any chance for a refund when we bought this game via steam. Imho I was screwed over, as the game is more an early beta than something I would call final, even the first early adaptor version of DR I played had more content and the same amount of errors, but I paid less than 1/2 of the money.

QFT !
The thing that adds to my personal disappointment is that they released D4 without one of the key features that gave DR it's longevity, leagues/clubs! I am one of the fools that bought D4 for a multiplayer expirience in the rally world, and 3 months after release they still have not provided the MAIN feature for that. After the vague statements we have gotten recently, we might get to 4 months after realease until clubs make it into the game, by that time even more people will have abandoned the game's MP part, and if that patch only adds clubs without fixing major issues I won't even install the game again to see if it's finally worth it.

I enjoyed my D4 experience a lot more than I initially expected I would, mainly down to the way in which the 'same but different' career mode was put together and the fact fearless mode offered a genuine challenge when attempting the gold star trophies.
For me personally D4 was always going to be a throwaway game because as a multi-discipline title it's content is shared within categories I have no particular interest in, with the sum total of what I primarilly bought the game for being way too small to warrant any long term appeal. In an ideal world Codemasters would have built on what they have by maybe adding a few more rally locations or even upgrading the five templates they are currently using to make things feel a lot more varied but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world and things have remained kinda static
The big problem now is that all those who chose to hang around in the vain hope that things would change no longer have to do so because choice is now the order of the day and playing D4 just for the sake of it doesn't have to be one of those choices.

So taking that into consideration the (XB1) road ahead for pretty much everyone will be a combination of WRC 7, Nascar Heat 2, Project Cars 2 and Forza 7.   

PS4 Pro here. I'm skipping PCARS 2 for now and going for GT Sport because of the online focus and the spectacular optimization for the console: 3K + HDR + 60fps. D4 has terrible optimization. It just doesn't look good at all on the PS4 Pro. Ditto on WRC 7 with its 30fps but at least the game is good. I also skipped F1 2017 after reading the forums here. Not much of an open wheel fan anyway even though I love Formula 1 as a sport.

So I am jumping between DiRT Rally (still have an active league), SLRE (sublime physics and great content), WRC 7 (the surprise of the year) and AC (still can't get enough of Assetto - will be buying the new DLC pack). I am deleting PCARS 1 and D4 today (haven't touched them in months).

Did you manage to map a controller as a handbrake? I play on ps4 with the wheel, but I haven't got a handbrake and the fact that you cannot map it to a controller in SLRE is the game's biggest flaw. I can't drive effectively with the handbrake mapped to a wheel button, so it's pointless to even start the game.
No, but it's not too bad because the weight transfer works so well I can usually scandy flick into hairpins and with RWD a bit of clutch kick can get me out of trouble. If I'm driving a modern car I'll map 4th on the H-Shifter as handbrake but have to remember before starting a stage as no way to access wheel settings once started. I can't cope with using a button on the wheel, especially for something like the 131 which uses full 900 degrees. I was planning to modify my G29 but thought I'd stop playing SLRE once D4 came out so wouldn't be worth it. Looks like I'll be needing that soldering iron after all!
 WRC7 doesn't support controller as handbrake either but I don't mind because all cars have sequential boxes.

cjr3559 said:

SLRE is really fantastic though and largely underrated. I have a blast with it on a PC + G27 in 1440p @ 60fps. Might be different on a console with the pad (if you used that). The amount of hand crafted stages is great and some of them are truly terrifying. Physics are excellent as well as FFB. Sound is very passable but still convey properly what the car is doing, and after a while you don't notice anymore. SLRE is typically a game where you have to spend some time with it before making a final judgement. It might not click immediately.
I too abandoned it after about half an hour at first, but determined to give it another go I went back and after a couple of hours I was hooked. You really need to put the effort in. Try different cars too, I think some have bad setups but there are so many it's easy to find something you like. Also, if you're coming from DR or especially D4 you need to learn to set the corners up - you can't just throw the car into the bend at full speed and expect to control it. For me, this was the key to enjoying the game. I find this game so immersive that  it seems more realistic to me than DR. I wouldn't say it's better or worse than DR but these are the only 2 rally sims we have at present so unless you really only have time to play one they should both be in your collection. 
 I stuck with D4 for a while. Every time I wanted to give up I had to remind myself how glad I was I stuck with SLRE but the final nail came when I tried going back to the older games and had to learn again because they drive so differently. I can switch between DR, SLRE and even WRC7 quite easily but D4 handling is too far out for me. Pity, because it looks and sounds fantastic.

So does Mario Cart.

"WRC 7 (the surprise of the year)" got an immediate refund request, but this is not the right place to discuss about it.
Dirt 4 only need some more love from the coders: better and more tracks, a little physics tweaking and a faster loading.
If they can fix these "little" things this game have all the chances to be a best seller.

No, but it's not too bad because the weight transfer works so well I can usually scandy flick into hairpins and with RWD a bit of clutch kick can get me out of trouble. If I'm driving a modern car I'll map 4th on the H-Shifter as handbrake but have to remember before starting a stage as no way to access wheel settings once started. I can't cope with using a button on the wheel, especially for something like the 131 which uses full 900 degrees. I was planning to modify my G29 but thought I'd stop playing SLRE once D4 came out so wouldn't be worth it. Looks like I'll be needing that soldering iron after all!
 WRC7 doesn't support controller as handbrake either but I don't mind because all cars have sequential boxes.
Well, for me it was a game breaker, so I took an effort and made a custom handbrake with my friend: https://ibb.co/dDdj8k
It works like magic and I agree that if you give SLRE enough time and attention, it will reward you with the most immersive rally experience since RBR.

If you'd like to make a custom handbrake, here is a very simple and effective way. I based mine on this: https://m.imgur.com/a/5A2Gq