Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Future of DiRT 4 - The road ahead?

bj75 said:
"WRC 7 (the surprise of the year)" got an immediate refund request, but this is not the right place to discuss about it.
Dirt 4 only need some more love from the coders: better and more tracks, a little physics tweaking and a faster loading.
If they can fix these "little" things this game have all the chances to be a best seller.
I think it's too late for it to be a best seller. We're already 3.5 months after release and not even basic bugs that crash the game on console have been addressed. So I am deleting it. At this point I don't even care if they tweak anything or not. The way they have treated us since release is appalling. With so many games to play there is no way I am going to sit around waiting anymore with a broken, rushed, unfinished, thin-content game like D4.

I think something big is about to happen with the Paul Coleman team. Let's hope DiRT Rally 2 is coming!

[EDIT] A thread on the future of a game that has gotten no attention from the devs since launch will inevitably start people talking about alternatives so you can't make me or anyone else feel bad for mentioning WRC, DR, SLRE, AC, PC and GTS. [/EDIT]

It was not my intent, sorry, simply I do not want write here about a game of another publisher.
...And I still have the hope for not have spent 55 bucks for a thin-content game!

bj75 said:
It was not my intent, sorry, simply I do not want write here about a game of another publisher.
...And I still have the hope for not have spent 55 bucks for a thin-content game!
I hear you, man. I feel the same way.

Sorry, I got the wrong idea of your intent. That's the problem with forums sometimes. The written word can often be interpreted totally out of the context of the author's intent.

I'll be honest, I'm running low on hard drive space and may need to uninstall stuff soon, and Dirt 4 is on the chopping block. :(
The launch experience of Dirt Rally had me thinking that Codemasters was on track to really change the way they make games, but Dirt 4 squandered that for me. Feels like corners were cut to meet a deadline, little to no communication from the devs after launch, bugs and issues being left untouched, etc. - pretty much what Codemasters games typically end up like. I'm more disappointed in that than the game itself honestly.

BadD0g said:
I'll be honest, I'm running low on hard drive space and may need to uninstall stuff soon, and Dirt 4 is on the chopping block. :(
The launch experience of Dirt Rally had me thinking that Codemasters was on track to really change the way they make games, but Dirt 4 squandered that for me. Feels like corners were cut to meet a deadline, little to no communication from the devs after launch, bugs and issues being left untouched, etc. - pretty much what Codemasters games typically end up like. I'm more disappointed in that than the game itself honestly.
That's really the kicker for me... I felt 100% confident in Codies after Dirt Rally. When you compare to DR at its Early Access launch (which I got in on day 1 because I'm a rally nut) to DR when it "officially" launched, it's night and day in many aspects. The devs were constantly engaged with the community and the game improved immensely because of that. So I preordered Dirt 4 with zero qualms or concerns, but now here we are - Codies pulled a total about-face from DR.

Ultimately it's just frustrating to me, not just for what feels like wasted money, but because they were *so close* to the true evolution of rally sims with the stage generator, car selection, and physics. The fact that mediocre games like WRC 7 and SLRE are the topic of discussion now says it all.

Im pretty disappointed by the lack of communication from the devs after release. We had weekly roadbooks and constant hype leading up to the release only to have silence since then. 
It's not a good sign when you feel abandoned so quickly. 

Idea of DR 2 being announced soon was posted a while ago by me as a joke, but now I don't know :smile:

Anyways I strongly suggest to contain enthusiasm for a next Dirt game. We already paid full price for D4 and we didn't get what was promised. Also don't forget to never preorder from Codies again (and most other devs too btw). I must admit I got on D4's hype train myself and I choose to be blind myself before release and soon after I got the game, but now we all know what happened to this game.

I am glad WRC 7 caused such a stir (I am not a fan of lastest WRC games, especially given paid user ads on Polish rally forums acting like a usual new forum user), maybe Codies will realise they are not the only studio that can produce a quality simcade rally game.

Yes, the Rally genre needs some serious competition with a strong PC development bias, one familiar with Simulation and advanced hardware.  I don't think the console developers take it too serious and I'm getting really put off by all the disappointing issues with Rally titles.

I admire your optimism. I fear that someone on CM's board is sat there thinking "hmm, why isn't D4 selling as well as we hoped? I know! It's too difficult and there aren't enough Monster Trucks!"

I admire your optimism. I fear that someone on CM's board is sat there thinking "hmm, why isn't D4 selling as well as we hoped? I know! It's too difficult and there aren't enough Monster Trucks!"
We don't know the real sales figures so maybe D4 was a success für CM.
Nevertheless the absolute missing feedback even in their own forums is the most negative point, that's a clear indication that D4 is already abandoned. So maybe they are focusing only on the  F1 yearly release. 
What I was asking me is what they have done with the knowledge from Evolution / Driveclub, I was hoping at least for some nice weather effects.

Dirt rally just over 700,000 . cant see how dirt 4 will over take that. even if its done well early on. some games dont so well at launch but catch up during its sales life time.can you seriously see 2x who brought it already buying Dirt 4 now ?

atleast it may convince the money men the future for Dirt is more sim side than arcade.

dgeesi0 said:
Dirt rally just over 700,000 . cant see how dirt 4 will over take that. even if its done well early on. some games dont so well at launch but catch up during its sales life time.can you seriously see 2x who brought it already buying Dirt 4 now ?

atleast it may convince the money men the future for Dirt is more sim side than arcade.
That is what keeps me hopeful. We know what made DiRT Rally great. Codies know it. Maybe it will take some time but I'm sure they'll get it right

Exactly. They are delusioned enough to call D4 a SIM, and since it is far from being one it doesn't appeal to a sim crowd. At the same time I can imagine it not being very popular among casual players who expected a return of Dudebro stuff. I don't care anymore, but maybe they regret a decision to dumb down rally physics after all and some updates are incoming. Who knows. Not sure if Codies do either.

i hope we get a Roadbook,with something tangible soon.I was shocked how great Dirt Rally felt last night,with the daily Subaru in Sweden.So intuitive and fun at the same time