Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Singapore Grand Prix

Hamilton takes the lead, would have never seen that coming despite what Sky were telling me!

Hamilton not mentioning Rosbergs bad luck, would have thought he would have said tough luck for Rosberg we could have had a good battle and a possible 1 2.

great race got to say I enjoyed that one. According to Toto Wolff after the race there wsa abroken wire in Rosberg's steering column and that was what caused his problem.

Finally Hamilton and Rosberg are back on a level playing field. A shame Rosberg wasn't there to contribute to a fight, but I'm very happy with the result today. Good job by Vettel to get second but I'm honestly surprised he didn't finish further up ahead of Ricciardo considering Dan was carrying some problems today. Alonso, solid but shame he didn't get a podium.

Really good job by Vergne today. He was very quick in practice as well, so a very well deserved 6th place ahead of some superior cars. And he finished well ahead of Kvyat too. What a time for Vergne to get a result like that in too, without a drive currently. If I were a team principal looking around, I'd want him in my car I think.

Shame for Bottas with the tyres at the end. I've never seen a car squirm around like that ever!

Ericsson was a bit of a joke in places today. When he was going into that corner after the long bridge straight, he just let Kvyat and Perez through, even though he was actually racing them for position!

The safety car procedure needs a re-think too. We had about three laps if I remember correctly where the track was clear, but we had to wait for the backmarkers to come through. Why can they not just fall to the back of the grid and remain a lap behind? Then they'll be out of the way of the leaders. they stay a lap behind (where they should be), and we don't waste time behind the safety car. If they did that then the race would have run the full 61 lap distance.

Eddie Jordan on the podium, again. Yeah he's enthusiastic but he was on the podium just two races ago in Belgium. Of all the people in the F1 paddock surely they could have got someone else. Sir Stirling would have been great, wouldn't he.

As Platy was saying, Sky didn't half dramatise the whole Hamilton pit gap situation today.  When they were saying he had to have a 27 second gap to get in the lead. NO HE DIDN'T! It was flippin' obvious he was gonna get them anyway as he would have been on 20 lap newer tyres or something, and in the beast that is the Mercedes. 

I think Sky's coverage is fantastic, but so often I find myself correcting the commentary, or adding obvious comments. I wish I could get in the commentary box!

I think Sky's coverage is fantastic, but so often I find myself correcting the commentary, or adding obvious comments. I wish I could get in the commentary box!
I really don't know how they both missed Rosberg skipping gears on the first onboard.

fIsince08 said:
I really don't know how they both missed Rosberg skipping gears on the first onboard.
Nothing beats the greek commentary though, when they told the Marussia he had a puncture, the commentator heard front brake puncture :smiley: 

Bit of a dull race overall, it only got exciting in the last 10 or so laps, but I can't be displeased with the result. 

Finally Hamilton and Rosberg are back on a level playing field. A shame Rosberg wasn't there to contribute to a fight, but I'm very happy with the result today. Good job by Vettel to get second but I'm honestly surprised he didn't finish further up ahead of Ricciardo considering Dan was carrying some problems today. Alonso, solid but shame he didn't get a podium.

Really good job by Vergne today. He was very quick in practice as well, so a very well deserved 6th place ahead of some superior cars. And he finished well ahead of Kvyat too. What a time for Vergne to get a result like that in too, without a drive currently. If I were a team principal looking around, I'd want him in my car I think.

Shame for Bottas with the tyres at the end. I've never seen a car squirm around like that ever!

Ericsson was a bit of a joke in places today. When he was going into that corner after the long bridge straight, he just let Kvyat and Perez through, even though he was actually racing them for position!

The safety car procedure needs a re-think too. We had about three laps if I remember correctly where the track was clear, but we had to wait for the backmarkers to come through. Why can they not just fall to the back of the grid and remain a lap behind? Then they'll be out of the way of the leaders. they stay a lap behind (where they should be), and we don't waste time behind the safety car. If they did that then the race would have run the full 61 lap distance.

Eddie Jordan on the podium, again. Yeah he's enthusiastic but he was on the podium just two races ago in Belgium. Of all the people in the F1 paddock surely they could have got someone else. Sir Stirling would have been great, wouldn't he.

As Platy was saying, Sky didn't half dramatise the whole Hamilton pit gap situation today.  When they were saying he had to have a 27 second gap to get in the lead. NO HE DIDN'T! It was flippin' obvious he was gonna get them anyway as he would have been on 20 lap newer tyres or something, and in the beast that is the Mercedes. 

I think you're overlooking something regarding HAM winning the race anyway, 27 second gap or not: What if there was another SC, which then lasted until the very end of the race? Or what if the SC came in again, with only 2 laps to go with DRS being activated 3 laps after a SC comes in again?

I agree, Lewis chances were very good with or without a 27second-lead, but there were a few possibilites left which could have ruined his race, so staying ahead would have been the best thing anyway.

I think you're overlooking something regarding HAM winning the race anyway, 27 second gap or not: What if there was another SC, which then lasted until the very end of the race? Or what if the SC came in again, with only 2 laps to go with DRS being activated 3 laps after a SC comes in again?

I agree, Lewis chances were very good with or without a 27second-lead, but there were a few possibilites left which could have ruined his race, so staying ahead would have been the best thing anyway.
That is a really good point actually about the SC, but in the heat of the moment I was just thinking 'pit him now so he has the fresh rubber and then he can get past them.'

That is a really good point actually about the SC, but in the heat of the moment I was just thinking 'pit him now so he has the fresh rubber and then he can get past them.'
I thought so too during the race, it just occured to me afterwards.
Gotta admit I was cursing at my TV screen when they didn't want to pit him despite his pleas.

I thought so too during the race, it just occured to me afterwards.
Gotta admit I was cursing at my TV screen when they didn't want to pit him despite his pleas.
Yeah, I was doing the same, haha. I was with my Dad just going 'oh my god, just pit him!!'

@Goldencolt I wasn't cursing, but I was saying keep him out longer! If there had been a safety car he would have pitted under that and still had a good chance of holding the lead. Depending on where he was on circuit when it came out of course :p 
In the end I think they pitted him at the right time though, mainly because instead of having to pass 3 cars, he only had to do 1. Less risk of a collision.

I was being really sceptical and thinking the race would be red flagged, cancelled and Hamilton would have a 30 second penalty for not running both compounds :p 

Seems like most of us are happy here for once! 
The reason it seems that way is because it's Hamilton fans doing the majority of the posting. Which I can understand, just to clarify. I know the feeling of a similar scenario: Suzuka 2012. 

What's appearing to be increasingly obvious now though is that the title is going to be decided by reliability. As the season goes on the car components are becoming more and more stressed, even the bulletproof Ferrari's have cracked recently. A Mercedes car is going to break down at least once again between now and Abu Dhabi, maybe even a few times. Question is for which car and at which race.