Jump to content Jump to content

[F1 2017 ps4 1.05] Overtaking under SC/yellow flags and Grid drop penalty bug

JK300602

Hello there, I had a couple of bugs while playing career mode:

Version:  PS4 (1.05)
Mode: Career
Car and race: McLaren, Round 2 - China
AI: 80%

I qualified 17 but changed gearbox after Qualifying and received a grid drop penalty.

Bug: I was placed on 20th position and started formation lap, but after finishing it, the car automatically went to 17th position on grid and started from there.

On 3rd lap there was a SC, where cars behind me overtook me without obeying yellow flags. Up to three cars passed me on different situations during SC and no position was given back, even if a car overtook me only by centimetres, I was asked to give back position.

Cheers

@F1Support
You can't be serious that you haven't confirmed the SC bug yet? Every SC instance I've had so far cars were overtaking me despite keeping a positive delta. And when I retake position, I get a penalty. Based on what I read on this forum many, many players experience the same thing.

Another very annoying bug is pit release. My pit crew will hold my car for any car that's somewhere in the pit lane, even if it's 4+ seconds from driving past me. 

Both issues have cost a lot of positions and that really sucks when you're fighting for every point in a low performance car. The gameplay is so severely affected that it takes out a lot of the fun this game is supposed to offer. I'm glad you're fixing things like the extreme engine wear  on 25% races, but I have to admit that I'm very frustrated playing a game that just isn't ready to offer a stable in-game experience. Feels like a gamble every time I start a race.

After all the buildup and the positive reviews, it's very disappointing that the game just isn't ready for career mode and I hope the gameplay issues are fixed soon.

(I'm on PS4 by the way, with patch 1.5)

I also suffer from this issue. AI is very aggressive under SC. They overtake me and when I try to take my position back the game warns me to give position back.

They can't ignore this bug. There was no such issue in F1 2016. I wrote to Lee Mather on Twitter about this issue and asked if they plan to make a fix on this. But there is no response. I also opened a topic on this same issue, but there is no confirmation from them on this issue.

We need to highlight this issue better.

• Codemasters Staff
If you want to help please tell me which platform you're on and which track you're seeing this issue on. What JK300602 posted at the top would be what I need.

e.g.
Car and race: McLaren, Round 2 - China
AI: 80%

I expect this is all tracks and difficulties but the more information I have the quicker I can get to the bottom of it.

• Codemasters Staff
To update you on this we've tried this in Grand Prix and Career modes and we've not seen the AI being aggressive and trying to overtake. Am I correct in thinking that sometimes they do behave themselves and drive correctly and other times they try to overtake like there are no yellow flags?

If that is the case does anyone have any ideas for what changes their behaviour? We've tried things like using flashbacks for example and didn't see the issue.

@F1Support
My guess is they only keep like one car length distance and when the human player brakes too hard or takes the corner a little wide (for avoiding collision or tyre temp) the car behind will get ahead for just a fraction and the game will consider this a fair position change (maybe because this is how it should work if you enter the pits during SC). The real problem isn't the cars behind getting in front or driving so close behind, but the game not understanding this is an invalid position change. 

There was a situation where the car behind me just ignored the flag and just raced me, overtaking me in the long straight (China), we were still chasing the SC queue.

In another situtation, the SC queue was very tight before the SC was going in and the car behind randomly pulled in front of me at a very slow pace. What I don't understand is why the car that overtakes doesn't take a warning or a penalty and let me overtake.

• Codemasters Staff
Having looked in to this we've found that when the player has front wing damage the AI will be much more aggressive in the queue and do sometimes try to overtake. When you saw this issue did you have any front wing damage?

@JK300602, @akinozdemir, @Worntoathread and @Kristiaan.

F1Support said:
Having looked in to this we've found that when the player has front wing damage the AI will be much more aggressive in the queue and do sometimes try to overtake. When you saw this issue did you have any front wing damage?

I think in season 1 I did, but not the second time when it happened round Monaco. I maybe used a flashback somewhere in the race after getting slight wing damage. I noticed how after using a flashback the MFD damage display stays open and Jeff sometimes still mentions the damage as well even if the flashback fixed it, possibly the AI still considers your wing to be damaged after flashbacks? 

I also haven't seen it happen at any other tracks than Monaco

F1Support said:

Atleast in one case, i had small damage taken to the left front wing. And i can also confirm what "Worntoathread" said, happened so far only in Monaco

@F1Support, not sure but to me it seems that one element is missing in this thread: "Ghosting". So far, I encountered the issue of being overtaken during safety car phase only when I had to slow down too much, e.g. because I was driving too close behind another car, especially right before the restart. In all cases, my car was ghosted like it happens when blocking the track or using "return on track" option - have you checked on this yet?
(In my opinion, cars should never be ghosted in single player mode anyway...)

Add. info: Playing on XBOX one, career mode 25%, problem appeared during China GP, with version 1.3 or 1.4.

F1Support said:

I had this experience in Australia, no there was no damage at my car.

Car and race: McLaren, Round 8 - Baku
AI: 60%

Same here. Whilst under SC conditions the AI ignored the flags and even if they only marginally got a nose in front I had to concede the position.  The AI cars almost drove threw me as if I wasnt there.  No recordings although I have managed to get a pic from the replay but you cant see the SC issue on the replay anyway.  I'm on the maclaren and the toro rosso is going right through.

Archived