Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2017 PS4/PS4 Pro Tearing

Me and some others went on and on on this matter already over F1 2016 and at one point someone of Codemasters admitted that its below their standard and something that was going to be looked into. Well now its got even worse instead of better is my feeling and i doubt something will be done this time, too.

I don't expect fully locked 60 FPS in all conditions etc on console but it should be much better than its current shape.

Took a spin at Monza in project cars last night. Day and night difference. Wish we could just marry F1 2017 with that graphics engine ;-)

Me and some others went on and on on this matter already over F1 2016 and at one point someone of Codemasters admitted that its below their standard and something that was going to be looked into. Well now its got even worse instead of better is my feeling and i doubt something will be done this time, too.

I don't expect fully locked 60 FPS in all conditions etc on console but it should be much better than its current shape.

Took a spin at Monza in project cars last night. Day and night difference. Wish we could just marry F1 2017 with that graphics engine ;-)
Yeah it's night and day. Overall graphics and performance. What angers me is that the pro is as worse as the normal ps4. I mean come on, it should run better and smoother.

So the game is unplayable. I was talking about this since day 1 of the release and I only got the reply that they are looking into it and that there might be an improvement. Based on what @Rillelives wrote he got the same reply last year. Maybe more people should comment on this thread so that codies and the @F1Support recognize how serious and gamebreaking this issue is.

Digital foundry noticed issues in their play of the xbox x version they say due to adaptive vsync!
Basically the game cannot keep to 60fps on any machine so tearing will happen.
You would understand if the graphics were pushed to the limit but clearly that cant be the case. They are well behind in this regard compared to other racing games.
Never noticed issues last gen was they on 30 fps

Probably going to get shot down for saying this but even F1 2013 looks better than the current games. Okay maybe a slight exaggeration but for the ps3 the graphics look stunning and still hold up very very well even today. Even back then it seems there were a few issues with the screen tearing as it still does now, but was nowhere near as bad and intrusive when actually driving the circuits. I still think the pit crew animations on 2013 look stunning.

Think I just assumed that the tearing at the time that I did see was down to the limitations of the ps3 hardware being pushed to its limits graphically, but to see the same thing on the next gen with the issue now a lot worse I do think it's more a case of the optimisation than the graphics being too good for the hardware.

I hope CM can work at improving it in the updates this year as it is a huge shame that it wasn't ironed out in previous versions before it became as distracting as it is now. 

Each year F1 series is more game broken than the precedent and they never corrected it...

I also highly doubt that something will improve on the graphical side. It's a shame, that's what it is...

Screen tearing, frames drops, minecraft textures and aliasing are unacceptable... but I really doubt they will fix it... what a pity. Performances are wort years after years...

1.6 according to the release notes will fix some texturing problems. I'm not sure if that includes screen tearing. 

PS4 update 1.6 should be available today or tomorrow and is waiting on Sony approving the patch. 

I am being patient and hoping CM will fix the PS4 graphical problems. I tried to get a refund from Sony but my preorder is outside their normal refund time limit. So I'm stuck with no options other than waiting. 

We've got a small improvement lined up for a future patch but it won't be in 1.6 because that's already locked down. Beyond that we need to optimise code and that's very time consuming and fraught with risk so any other improvements are very likely to take a while to be forthcoming.

F1Support said:
We've got a small improvement lined up for a future patch but it won't be in 1.6 because that's already locked down. Beyond that we need to optimise code and that's very time consuming and fraught with risk so any other improvements are very likely to take a while to be forthcoming.
We were pointing these issues out during 2016 Beta, and '15 before that - it may be time consuming but there is no avoiding the fact that there has been 3 years to work on it and very little improvement. 

Good luck anyways.

I totally agree with you @FRACTURED, screen tearing a well known issue since F1 2015 getting worse years after years. Minecraft textures were also present on F1 2016 but it's geting worse on F1 2017. Frightening...

Is this the price we pay for 60fps? If so, would 30fps be the way to go for racing games this current gen of consoles? I can't tell the difference anyway frame rate wise, but I realise some people are sensitive to it.

If i was Sony id be giving codemasters a complete a$se reaming. While, yes people do understand that its codemasters fault, sony would still want the ps4 and the pro pushed to their limits for every game. If i was looking at buying a pro and saw these reviews on a game that had pro support id be thinking "is it really worth it?" 

Frustrating thing is that you can see that this is potentially the best F1 Game ever, the handling is great and the sound - especially of some of the classic cars is so realistic - but the graphics in many parts of the game are just unacceptable for the current gen of Consoles (not to mention many other bugs reported) (in my experience I can only talk of the PS4). About this time last year many of us were complaining of the graphics of F1 2016 after an update but now 2016 seems really really good. When you notice the graphics of F1 2017 at its best parts in the game they seem more clearer and crisper than last year, but it's no where near as consistent enough, this adds to the frustration because it shows how excellent it could be.

I think the mistake was attempting 4K and 60fps on consoles. It turns out they downscale 4K 60fps for 1080P displays. 

I've asked @F1Support to see if they can disable 4K downscaling for 1080P displays. I think that would be the biggest quick win for fans, players, and the franchise. 

gimmick73 said:
I think the mistake was attempting 4K and 60fps on consoles. It turns out they downscale 4K 60fps for 1080P displays. 

I've asked @F1Support to see if they can disable 4K downscaling for 1080P displays. I think that would be the biggest quick win for fans, players, and the franchise. 
Interesting, so are you saying that those that have like older 1080p TV's (not the 4K Smart TV's) end up having worse graphics because of the downscaling? Sorry I don't know much about this lol.

First, do we know if it is native 4k on pro or if it is upscaled from somewhere in between 1080p and 4k?

For 1080p TVs downscaling a higher resolution image should be good news and as far I know is good news for all pro games on the market, as that gives a very high quality anti aliasing 'for free'...

Let's see the verdict when Digital Foundry analyses this one.....

fifi25 said:
downscaling makes a very very very good and clean image.

Did you try something for F1 2017 or is this the experience from other games?

f1 2017 and uncharted 4. Downsampling is a very good news for players. F1 2017 needs optimisation and to fix issues not to abandonned downsampling.