Sign in to follow this  

No current gen version? Seriously?

I'm also in the same boat. Just traded in my PS3 towards a PS4 last Sunday. No racers on PS4 currently. I'm positive the new GRID game would have sold well if it releasedon PS4 in June/July... Looks like I won't get to play the successor to the ToCA games. We'll see how my laptop does with tjebgame when it releases. Not ideal, especially on a 17" screen...

To be honest, last gen consoles are still selling extremely well, alongside that many people have chosen not to or simply cannot afford to move into this current gen. If the graphics really upset you that much you should be playing on PC instead as the PC version will look about as next-gen as it gets. 

To be honest, last gen consoles are still selling extremely well, alongside that many people have chosen not to or simply cannot afford to move into this current gen. If the graphics really upset you that much you should be playing on PC instead as the PC version will look about as next-gen as it gets. 
I upgraded to the PS4 for several reasons. Smoother interface. Proper social integration. PS Vita remote play. 1080p at 60fps on my TV in the living room. I could go on. Its not just about the graphics. The PS3 struggled to display 720p at 30 fps, which isn't a pleasant console experience. And the interface lagged hardcore. Thenupgrade has definitely been worth the investment, and apparenelty 7+ million other PS4 owners felt the same way...

SynGamer said:
I upgraded to the PS4 for several reasons. Smoother interface. Proper social integration. PS Vita remote play. 1080p at 60fps on my TV in the living room. I could go on. Its not just about the graphics. The PS3 struggled to display 720p at 30 fps, which isn't a pleasant console experience. And the interface lagged hardcore. Thenupgrade has definitely been worth the investment, and apparenelty 7+ million other PS4 owners felt the same way...
Doesn't stop the fact that the last-gen still holds a majority audience, most people aren't that bothered about the features you mentioned (they are great and all). A lot of people simply do not feel that investment is worth their money, they simply do not have £350 - 500 lying around.

If they started making it very soon after GRID 2 then fair enough but Im just praying they'll sort out a decent port at least.
I’d be amazed if they didn’t start making it immediately after GRID 2. That’s their job.

If they started making it very soon after GRID 2 then fair enough but Im just praying they'll sort out a decent port at least.
I’d be amazed if they didn’t start making it immediately after GRID 2. That’s their job.
indeed it is

laz1973 said:
Protip:
Dont buy a next gen console until games come to It, Im very ok with my xbox 360, there isn't a game that makes me buy a PS4 or XBone for now (Maybe Forza 5, but Im more excited for Project CARS, so I'll wait for It to buy a next gen console)
I have plenty of games for it. Between Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Resogun, Outlast, Tomb Raider (previous gen port, works great btw),Infamous, Don't Starve, Strider, Mercenary Kings, and soon to be Child of Light and MLB 14 The Show I have plenty of amazing content to play. 

There are 13 million+ people who have adopted the current generation of consoles already. You can't just blow off these people for any reason. It's insane.

And how many of those 13 million gamers have got rid of their old console not that many. You cant blame Codies for this they NEVER said their next game would be out on the new consoles and dont forget most of those other games you mention that where ported where done by other companies and not the main Dev company. Codemasters arent a massive company and want to be the only ones working on their games. Buy yourself a cheap ass 360 or PS3 and get the game then enjoy it like everyone else. 
I'm not going to go buy an old system for one game at this point. Besides, most people who have both systems would rather buy a game for the same price on their new hardware, I know I would. I keep old systems to play old games, nothing more. 

I got an X1 to be able to enjoy my favourite hobby to the full. I understand Codie's reasoning to a point but don't quite agree with the comments about previous gen being so important that current gen gets pushed aside. Yes, we're just into the console cycle, but Microsoft and Sony (and their gamers) won't be happy if devs pass up games for X1 and PS4 just to assuage the 360/PS3ers. Let's look at it another way: would you 360/PS3ers be happy if us X1/PS4ers said "tough" regarding our games which are exclusive to our gen but that you'd like on your systems?

I got an X1 to be able to enjoy my favourite hobby to the full. I understand Codie's reasoning to a point but don't quite agree with the comments about previous gen being so important that current gen gets pushed aside. Yes, we're just into the console cycle, but Microsoft and Sony (and their gamers) won't be happy if devs pass up games for X1 and PS4 just to assuage the 360/PS3ers. Let's look at it another way: would you 360/PS3ers be happy if us X1/PS4ers said "tough" regarding our games which are exclusive to our gen but that you'd like on your systems?
Not only that. I hope Sony haven't forgot about their ps2 being, precisely, biggest ps3 problem when It was released (not just ps3 tech issues, that of course were the biggest problem with this console).

Ps2 lasted too long and that affected ps3 irremediably, while M$ decided to focus on the new 360; the obvious way to go.

Both Ps3 and 360 must be dropped asap by the end of this year more or less If, at least Sony, don't want to repeat ps3 selling "problems"

I don't see why it can't be accessible to next gen users , to be honest it seems like a ridiculous thing not to do seeing as they have no competition (ps4 wise) in the market, I mean the community is crying out for a racer & they could just totally own it

not only that but the game itself dosn't need to be designed for next gen, it just needs to be accessible to it , if it was released saying it looks no different to the ps3 version you could still guarantee huge sales because there's 7million units of the ps4 alone sold & no racing game apart from nfs rivals ( which is about as close to a racing game as r-type is to a flight simulator) its a slam dunk in terms of sales surely?

I am not expert but would it be that hard to port the pc version to the next gen consoles? & even if it is how many opportunities does a developer get to completely own a market ? 

I assume there must be a reason for giving up what looks like an amazing opportunity but can't help but think they are shooting themselves in the foot a bit

I still don't understand the "well the previous gen are still the majority." By that logic, Code Masters should be making games for the previous gen for the next few years. Part of the reason Grid 2 didn't sell as well is because it was nearing the end of the previous gen's life cycle and the same thing happened to GT6. There is tons of money to be earned by making this for next gen, even as a straight port with no upgrades or bells and whistles. To not grab that opportunity is madness. 

If the reasoning behind it is them feeling like we're ripped off then just bloody release it anyway, most of the PS4 titles right now are dodgy ports from current gen (Fifa, CoD, Madden etc). Frankly I'd be happy to buy this for my PS4 especially since the only racing game available at this point is Need For Speed which isn't the type of racing game I want to play at all.

I wish my 360 hadn't broke when it did otherwise I would've bought it, but it's still stupid that so many developers are taking this route (even £A decided not to port the world cup game onto NG). It's early in the lifespan, it's fine if your game doesn't use the console's potential.

I still don't understand the "well the previous gen are still the majority." By that logic, Code Masters should be making games for the previous gen for the next few years.
So they should, and if resources allow, I'll be surprised if they and others aren't still making 360/PS3 games for the next year or two alongside their next gen releases.

scottishwildcat said: alongside their next gen releases.
Which is what we are missing for some reason right now. 
at the moment it would appear they don't yet have the resources to do it right now or if they do they're not quite ready yet

It's simple, if everything was ready then of course we'd be doing it. To think we'd leave out an entire set of platforms, for no reason is absolute madness.

Ultimately, we're still working on our tech, James talks about it somewhat in this interview:

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/grid_autosport/news/grid_autosport_interview_when_we_do_make_a_next-gen_game_it_wont_be_a_current-gen_port.html

I can appreciate wanting to make something a "true" next gen game but considering the lack of options in the racing genre for next gen consoles, from my point of view whether it was optimised for it or not I'd rather take something than nothing & I could imagine that a large portion of the multi million next gen console owners would probably feel the same & I'd think if your going to design something specifically for next gen then by the time thats arrived so has all your competition, project c.a.r.s., driveclub..., rumours of GT7, I just think it's maybe a bit of a missed opportunity to get yourself a big piece of that pie whilst there's no one else around 

Conversely, if we released something that wasn't that well optimised (maybe it wasn't 1080/60 for example) we'd get absolutely crucified, of that I have no doubt :)

Catch 22 sadly. End of the day though, if the tech isn't ready, not much we can do.

That's way too much PR bull crap. Other companies have given us excellent ports that we were happy to take so far. The PC port would be welcomed with open arms. The whole "next gen tech" is the biggest pile of you know what I've ever heard. I mean seriously, the PC market has better hardware than the "new" consoles at this point and you had no problem putting on PC. Not all of your customers are that stupid to accept that answer. 

scottishwildcat said: alongside their next gen releases.
Which is what we are missing for some reason right now. 
at the moment it would appear they don't yet have the resources to do it right now or if they do they're not quite ready yet
That's their own fault for screwing up Grid 2 at the end of a console generation's life cycle and then trying to fix it after the new systems are already on the market. 

Loore said:
Conversely, if we released something that wasn't that well optimised (maybe it wasn't 1080/60 for example) we'd get absolutely crucified, of that I have no doubt :)

Catch 22 sadly. End of the day though, if the tech isn't ready, not much we can do.
yes granted if there's a flaw or flaws then there would no doubt be endless threads about it but i genuinely think you could get away with stating from the off its a "last gen /current gen whatever" game simply made accessible to next gen owners because of the lack of games in the racing genre, I mean considering what alternatives are available I would think that would be acceptable 

fets81 said:
Loore said:

yes granted if there's a flaw or flaws then there would no doubt be endless threads about it but i genuinely think you could get away with stating from the off its a "last gen /current gen whatever" game simply made accessible to next gen owners because of the lack of games in the racing genre, I mean considering what alternatives are available I would think that would be acceptable 
Exactly. And if they can make it for the more advanced PC specs, they can make it for the new consoles as well. Just needs to run on the PS4/XB1 OS that's all. 

fets81 said:
I can appreciate wanting to make something a "true" next gen game but considering the lack of options in the racing genre for next gen consoles, from my point of view whether it was optimised for it or not I'd rather take something than nothing & I could imagine that a large portion of the multi million next gen console owners would probably feel the same & I'd think if your going to design something specifically for next gen then by the time thats arrived so has all your competition, project c.a.r.s., driveclub..., rumours of GT7, I just think it's maybe a bit of a missed opportunity to get yourself a big piece of that pie whilst there's no one else around 
Well said. Drive Club and Project CARS alone are going to be very steep competition, let alone with GT7 rolls along. 

I don't do consoles, but I can just imagine that if a new game was released for next gen but without last gen compatibility there would be plenty of hollering.  I can think of at least one racing game coming out later this year where that will probably be the case.

Frank

RubyRuby said:
I don't do consoles, but I can just imagine that if a new game was released for next gen but without last gen compatibility there would be plenty of hollering.  I can think of at least one racing game coming out later this year where that will probably be the case.

Frank
There are plenty of games that already did this and there was no uproar. The early adoption rate of the new consoles is higher than it's ever been in history.