Sign in to follow this  

No current gen version? Seriously?

well as I said considering the lack of competition I think there was an opportunity to get something out that doesn't have to be a next gen game per se but still make a bit of a slam dunk in terms of sales but then again I've no idea what it takes to even make a game accessible on 2 generation's of console, maybe even if your making a game that doesn't make use of any of the next gen features & just make it playable then maybe that alone takes resources that aren't available, it's a bit disappointing, but there you go we'll just have to wait until those resources are available 

@MasterSparky

Serious question.

Would you really want a next gen game that had been ported from the previous gen? It just seems a bit pointless.

I'm sure the next gen GRID or what ever it may be in a couple of years, will be fantastic! (although I know it's quite a long wait!)
Yes I would, The controller is much nicer, the extra features (xbox record that, better achievement system, of course more powerful)

If it was a simple port with slightly cleaner graphics Id have a pre-order in already.

I still don't understand the "well the previous gen are still the majority." By that logic, Code Masters should be making games for the previous gen for the next few years. Part of the reason Grid 2 didn't sell as well is because it was nearing the end of the previous gen's life cycle and the same thing happened to GT6. There is tons of money to be earned by making this for next gen, even as a straight port with no upgrades or bells and whistles. To not grab that opportunity is madness. 
100% Agree.

EA had no problems porting Need For Speed. Im just gutted that Ive supported codie for years and now cant. Chop Chop with Autosport 2 ;)

EA had no problems porting Need For Speed. Im just gutted that Ive supported codie for years and now cant. Chop Chop with Autosport 2 ;)
Don't forget how big of a company EA is.

Indeed. I've been in the (non-gaming) software industry for 20-odd years, and in my experience there is very rarely such a thing as a "simple port".

Indeed. I've been in the (non-gaming) software industry for 20-odd years, and in my experience there is very rarely such a thing as a "simple port".
Yeah I agree EA must have at least twice if not 3 times the money and resources CM do and some of EA's games have similar types of bugs as CM's as well as I've been hit by savegame bugs and what have you even in their gamers so it's pretty clear that it's not that straightforward

Yeah I agree EA must have at least twice if not 3 times the money and resources CM do and some of EA's games have similar types of bugs as CM's as well as I've been hit by savegame bugs and what have you even in their gamers so it's pretty clear that it's not that straightforward
Well if you look at what EA does, they literally build separate versions for each system. All we're asking for is a straight PC port. There's a big difference between building a game from the ground up for a new system and taking an existing game and simply making if function on another OS. All they have to do is take the PC version and make it compatible with the new console's operating systems (which is what the majority of game developers do for their games anyways). 

Well if you look at what EA does, they literally build separate versions for each system. All we're asking for is a straight PC port. There's a big difference between building a game from the ground up for a new system and taking an existing game and simply making if function on another OS. All they have to do is take the PC version and make it compatible with the new console's operating systems (which is what the majority of game developers do for their games anyways). 
maybe but it's also entirely possible that the Ego engine that CM use for their racing titles in it's current state isn't compatible with the Next gen systems after all CM have said whrn they're ready to go next gen with a game they'll let us know. They said they don't want to do a halfway job with next gen they said when they start putting together games for the new systems they will be fully focused on making things right on those systems.

Main points on here that Codies should listen to:
1. There are many of their fans that have upgraded to PS4/Xbone and traded in their old consoles for them and do not have the option to play the new grid.
-Same goes with people who's consoles broke down and have waiting for and paid for new tech.
2. There is not exactly any Racing games out for new tech. There is roughly 13,000,000 potential buyers for this game that do not have any other racing option to play on their shiney new consoles. The game should be ported and advertised at that. Codemaster fans will happily buy this game on PS4/Xbone over old tech - even if it runs and looks exactly the same.
-The point has proven that both versions can exist and customers are more than happy with games such as COD, BF4, Need for Speed, Tomb Raider, Lego game etc etc.. 

Something that I havn't seen posted on here yet but the thing that makes this the worse decision they could make is this.
They told us this game is made for its fans. If that were true: It would be available to all of there fans. I have both the PS3 and PS4 left but I find it so very odd that a game can be announced and released 5-6 months after the next gen consoles have been released and for it not to be on these consoles, It just doesn't make logically sense to 95% of the population. You can try and spin it anyway you want, but it doesn't make it right.
I am a huge fan of Codemaster games, I buy them new without thought on release, I just can not bring myself into buying a PS3 game. It has no longevity and no replay value. Next gen is where any well established company should be.
To point out to PC Master Race guys: This is the same as Codemasters making this game only available to play on the Windows 2000 OS. You don't want build a pc with that on it, or find an old laptop you kept just in case the unthinkable happens,just for one game, you want to keep playing on your new rig for many many obvious reasons that should not need to be pointed out to programmers that know what's going on.

I refuse to buy this game on old gen consoles. Which sux, because the announcements on this game sounds like it will be amazing.
Its a huge disappointment that Codies are just ultimately out for a bigger cash grab and are beelining it as "something built for our fans"
With how much people despised Grid 2: The biggest cash grab yet: You think they would have actually listened to their fans.

brettzOr said:
To point out to PC Master Race guys: This is the same as Codemasters making this game only available to play on the Windows 2000 OS. 
Er, it’s nothing like that at all. WIndows 2000 is in no way still a common thing to find on PCs nowadays, but the vast majority of gamers out there today still have either a 360, a PS3 or a PC as their main gaming machine.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t have been great if Codies could have announced a next-gen racer already, but if we’re going to moan that they haven’t, let’s at least keep the scathing analogies credible :)

brettzOr said:
To point out to PC Master Race guys: This is the same as Codemasters making this game only available to play on the Windows 2000 OS. 
Er, it’s nothing like that at all. WIndows 2000 is in no way still a common thing to find on PCs nowadays, but the vast majority of gamers out there today still have either a 360, a PS3 or a PC as their main gaming machine.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t have been great if Codies could have announced a next-gen racer already, but if we’re going to moan that they haven’t, let’s at least keep the scathing analogies credible :)
Yeah 200 was0 a bit far fetched.
XP would be a good analogy. Still very common but its going out of date.

brettzOr said:

Agreed besides unlike the new consoles PC's are for the most part backwards compatible so wouldn't matter so much

fets81 said:
I don't see why it can't be accessible to next gen users , to be honest it seems like a ridiculous thing not to do seeing as they have no competition (ps4 wise) in the market, I mean the community is crying out for a racer & they could just totally own it

not only that but the game itself dosn't need to be designed for next gen, it just needs to be accessible to it , if it was released saying it looks no different to the ps3 version you could still guarantee huge sales because there's 7million units of the ps4 alone sold & no racing game apart from nfs rivals ( which is about as close to a racing game as r-type is to a flight simulator) its a slam dunk in terms of sales surely?

I am not expert but would it be that hard to port the pc version to the next gen consoles? & even if it is how many opportunities does a developer get to completely own a market ? 

I assume there must be a reason for giving up what looks like an amazing opportunity but can't help but think they are shooting themselves in the foot a bit
agree completly with you!!! The same thing a told loore on twitter!!! They are missing a huge opportunity specially on ps4 where there is no sim/arcade racing game right now!!!

tbh I blame Sony and Microsoft for arguments like this not CM as the makers they should have made their consoles backwards compatible then arguments like this wouldn't happen When they began  making Autosport CM probably didn't even know the specs for the new systems as they probably wouldn't have known till we did and every one of the Xboxes and Playstations until now has been compatible with older games.

maybe but it's also entirely possible that the Ego engine that CM use for their racing titles in it's current state isn't compatible with the Next gen systems after all CM have said whrn they're ready to go next gen with a game they'll let us know. They said they don't want to do a halfway job with next gen they said when they start putting together games for the new systems they will be fully focused on making things right on those systems.
I'd buy that if I haven't already seen straight ports with little to no difference between the previous gen version and what I played. Tomb Raider comes to mind, outside of a resolution boost and a few textures it's basically the same. Compatibility relies on the OS of the console, not the "technology" behind how they built the game. Anything can be tailored to be compatible with the new systems. 

When they began  making Autosport CM probably didn't even know the specs for the new systems as they probably wouldn't have known till we did and every one of the Xboxes and Playstations until now has been compatible with older games.
That doesn't make sense. They began work on this right after Grid 2, and the next gen tech has been out to developers for longer than that. 

I'd buy that if I haven't already seen straight ports with little to no difference between the previous gen version and what I played. Tomb Raider comes to mind, outside of a resolution boost and a few textures it's basically the same. Compatibility relies on the OS of the console, not the "technology" behind how they built the game. Anything can be tailored to be compatible with the new systems. 

something tells me with regards Tomb Raider though that that game was partially built with next gen systems in mind though given it did have things like Tress FX and new graphics systems in it given CM's Ego engine has been around essentially I believe since Grid 1 which was way back near the start of the PS3/360 cycle  so it wouldn't have been built with the new gen in mind. You're right in that the compatibility relies on the OS but the OS of the new systems are not backwards compatible like the PS3/360 are they? So therefore the game and game engine would have to be altered to make it compatible it's not as simple as just porting it over

grid autosport is just going to be a polished version of grid 2.

I'm sure codies are working on Grid 4 for next/current gen consoles and that will be a truly new game.

grid autosport is just going to be a polished version of grid 2.

I'm sure codies are working on Grid 4 for next/current gen consoles and that will be a truly new game.
yeah I think so too

brettzOr said:
1. There are many of their fans that have upgraded to PS4/Xbone and traded in their old consoles for them and do not have the option to play the new grid.
-Same goes with people who's consoles broke down and have waiting for and paid for new tech.
2. There is not exactly any Racing games out for new tech. There is roughly 13,000,000 potential buyers for this game that do not have any other racing option to play on their shiney new consoles. The game should be ported and advertised at that. Codemaster fans will happily buy this game on PS4/Xbone over old tech - even if it runs and looks exactly the same.
-The point has proven that both versions can exist and customers are more than happy with games such as COD, BF4, Need for Speed, Tomb Raider, Lego game etc etc.. 

Something that I havn't seen posted on here yet but the thing that makes this the worse decision they could make is this.
They told us this game is made for its fans. If that were true: It would be available to all of there fans. I have both the PS3 and PS4 left but I find it so very odd that a game can be announced and released 5-6 months after the next gen consoles have been released and for it not to be on these consoles, It just doesn't make logically sense to 95% of the population. You can try and spin it anyway you want, but it doesn't make it right.
I am a huge fan of Codemaster games, I buy them new without thought on release, I just can not bring myself into buying a PS3 game. It has no longevity and no replay value. Next gen is where any well established company should be.
To point out to PC Master Race guys: This is the same as Codemasters making this game only available to play on the Windows 2000 OS. You don't want build a pc with that on it, or find an old laptop you kept just in case the unthinkable happens,just for one game, you want to keep playing on your new rig for many many obvious reasons that should not need to be pointed out to programmers that know what's going on.

I refuse to buy this game on old gen consoles. Which sux, because the announcements on this game sounds like it will be amazing.
Its a huge disappointment that Codies are just ultimately out for a bigger cash grab and are beelining it as "something built for our fans"
With how much people despised Grid 2: The biggest cash grab yet: You think they would have actually listened to their fans.
So in no way at all is it Sony and Microsoft's fault for preventing their consoles to be backwards compatible? All you guys want is a simple port... had the new consoles been backwards compatible, this would of effectively been achieved. It's also interesting how quite a few of you are saying that Codies are losing millions upon millions of potential sales, yet then claim that they are just in it for the cash? Sorry, but they counteract each other. And as they said, there is no 'magic' button that instantly ports the PC version to PS4/XboxeOne. Don't forget Codies aren't some super massive company will plenty of resources to throw away - instead they have to use their resources in the most efficient manner, something that they have been doing since 1986. They know what they are doing. 

brettzOr said:

So in no way at all is it Sony and Microsoft's fault for preventing their consoles to be backwards compatible? All you guys want is a simple port... had the new consoles been backwards compatible, this would of effectively been achieved. It's also interesting how quite a few of you are saying that Codies are losing millions upon millions of potential sales, yet then claim that they are just in it for the cash? Sorry, but they counteract each other. And as they said, there is no 'magic' button that instantly ports the PC version to PS4/XboxeOne. Don't forget Codies aren't some super massive company will plenty of resources to throw away - instead they have to use their resources in the most efficient manner, something that they have been doing since 1986. They know what they are doing. 
100% agree with this

This must have been a difficult decision. For me personally :

i) Grid 2 is unfinished business. Sure some people liked it, but some didn't. There's lots of opportunity to get more stuff out quickly on Grid 2 with different cars handling at a low dev cost. Not only that but it will be stuff people will really like if the forum is anything to go by.

ii) Moving to next gen is a bummer all round. A bummer for us who have to wait for the games, and a bummer for the devs who have to invest massive cost in developing new engines. And here is the real rub. While they are pouring resource into engines they ARE NOT building content. Now my bet is that if you asked most race game fans what they would like to see from codemasters games they would say things like more tracks, more cars, different handling, features like telemetry, less bugs other stuff. My guess is that relatively few would say better graphics, which is mostly what next gen is about. Until the devs get a better handle on next gen and while there are people still willing to pay for extra content at the level of grid 2 (autosport), F1 2013 (more classic tracks, cars) and Dirt 3 (more tracks and cars) it makes little sense to move to next gen quickly.

iii) Finally for me if you ask me what I like about Codemasters games so much I would say the thing they are best at by far is the graphics. I still think that Grid graphics **** all over GT6, a game which came out how much later ? (allright, this is subjective). I don't want codemasters to spend all their time getting graphics better, because currently they are OK. I want more content and more cars with the current graphics levels of F1 2013, Dirt 3 and Grid 2. The other thing is because codemasters games are defined so much by the graphics quality it is really important that when they move to next gen they do something spectacular and not also ran. This isn't going to happen quickly.

So overall, yes, I understand its a pain if you went for next gen, but I think it is understandable why they have decided to stay on the last gen platform for this game.

I also agree that the PS4 is a massive opportunity. Whoever gets there first is going to make a packet because of the lack of racing games out there for it and people wanting to have a racing game to play. 

Well I doubt they'll throw out a next gen version because few guys on the forum would like one but it still niggles at me...I mean there are very few next gen exclusives..take your fifa's..cod..bf4..ac:bf there are plenty of cross gen games and that don't really exploit next gen but have made themselves accessible to the next gen consumers...yet grid can run at 1080p & 60fps but the techs not ready? I assume that is the tech to make the game physically playable on a next gen console rather than just to make a game that's 'worthy' of the title of being a next gen game or something because by the looks of it, it's further than some have got

fets81 said:
Well I doubt they'll throw out a next gen version because few guys on the forum would like one but it still niggles at me...I mean there are very few next gen exclusives..take your fifa's..cod..bf4..ac:bf there are plenty of cross gen games and that don't really exploit next gen but have made themselves accessible to the next gen consumers...yet grid can run at 1080p & 60fps but the techs not ready? I assume that is the tech to make the game physically playable on a next gen console rather than just to make a game that's 'worthy' of the title of being a next gen game or something because by the looks of it, it's further than some have got
I was hoping that instead of taking into account a few forum posts they would consider the 13 million plus who already own an Xbox One or PS4. 

dirt3joe said:

I also agree that the PS4 is a massive opportunity. Whoever gets there first is going to make a packet because of the lack of racing games out there for it and people wanting to have a racing game to play. 

That's the big thing for me. As a business opportunity there is a HUGE cash cow waiting to happen and it seems like a bad oversight to miss that.