Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 2017 - PC - Random Crashes to desktop

When racing in any mode I randomly get a crash to desktop without any error message. It happens in various modes, but I play mostly carreer mode. I haven't been able to get past practise 1 Australia before it crashes. I play on all assist off, 100% length everything.

I have reinstalled the game, I have done a clean install of windows, I have tried several versions of gfxcard drivers, including the latest. I don't know what to try next.

PC specs:
i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz
32GB DDR4
GTX 980Ti
TM T500 RS
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

You have to remember this game is a busted up mess.  Our biggest mistake was buying it assuming it functioned correctly.  What you have to do is turn down your detail settings because the game does not recognize hardware/CPU correctly.  It erroneously believes your video card has less memory than it does.  You'll notice this after you run a benchmark.  For example, I have a 1080ti which has 11GB of video memory, but what you see in the benchmark results xml:  gpu_name="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti" gpu_memory="2.9 Gb"

In addition, I have a 6950X processor which is 10 core/20 thread.  What you see in the benchmark xml:  cpu name="Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz" processors="8"

So I had a similar issue to you, and you need to pretend you have much worse video card than you do and turn down the detail accordingly.  Start with disabling SSRT shadows and turning down the shadow quality as well.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give that a try tonight and report back. 

What worries me is the fact this issue is not listed anywhere. I hope this gets reported and fixed accordingly.

...  because the game does not recognize hardware/CPU correctly.  It erroneously believes your video card has less memory than it does.  You'll notice this after you run a benchmark.  For example, I have a 1080ti which has 11GB of video memory, but what you see in the benchmark results xml:  gpu_name="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti" gpu_memory="2.9 Gb"

I don't agree with the "this game is a total mess" - theroy, cause I played the game for the first time yesterday evening and I had no issues at all, running smooth with 60-90 fps. 
Nevertheless you are right in your quote above. I have a msi notebook with gtx1070 8GB and the game only shows 4GB in the benchmark. Wondering if it really only recognizes half of the gfx cards RAM  or if it's just a "text error". Would be great if anybody @F1Support could clarify that. 

heideldrum said:

Wondering if it really only recognizes half of the gfx cards RAM  or if it's just a "text error".
While that is a bug in itself, for me the real issue is the CTD without any error message or logs (if someone knows the location of log files, please tell me). This makes it hard to find a work around and results in taking overkill measures like doing a full reinstall of the system.

But yes, we can all agree, reproducable fatal errors should be fixed ASAP.

Instructions to find crash dumps can be found here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/294776/#Comment_294776

PM them to me please.

@F1Support, do you have some further information regarding the fact, that after the benchmark the program only shows half the available RAM of my gtx1070? Thank you! 

Turning my GFX settings has not helped, it still crashed to desktop. However, I did find something interesting in the crash dump. The error stated was a "Exception_Access_Violation", which makes me think the game tries to write to a file or location it is not allowed to. So I ran the game as administrator and I have not seen a crash yet, currently in free practise 3. While I would love for this to be a work around, it seems strange, because a lot of other people should be affected by this issue if it were the case. Anyway, I will keep on testing in admin mode and see if it really does not crash anymore. Will update later.

Hi, I have very similar issue on my pc: I first installed F1 2017 (1.5, PC), played once some training laps in Austria. after ~10 laps, the desktop and sound was frozen. only after ~ 1 min, the Win10 Desktop apeared again, but game was not startable anymore.
A try to start the game without a reboot, steam informs that game will start, but desktop gets black and stays so - again for ~ 1min, then standard Win10 DT appears.)  after reboot of the pc, the game is at least startable, I can start training laps but the crash will for sure come, now much early . already within one lap. soo each gametry is crashing !!
I tried also with other countries, cars, .. all the same, no difference.

PLEASE SUPPORT (... what shall I do with all the freetime, which my childs are out at grandma .. ok joking ..)

I did look for a crashdump and found one (only 1, Iam sure I have had already ~10 crashes .. does it save only the last?)
.. and I saw alsothe error "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION".

@F1Support : the crash-dump, I have sent directly to you via PN

info.txt is this:

{
  "EXE": "F1_2017.exe",
  "Version": 362691,
  "Exception": "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00000000408BEFA0",
  "System": {
    "ProcessMask": "3F",
    "SystemMask": "3F",
    "Memory": {
      "Resident": {
        "Current": 2933137408,
        "Peak": 3015221248
      },
      "PagedAllocation": {
        "Current": 5626036224,
        "Peak": 5736189952
      }
    }
  },
  "Session": {
    "GameMode": "gm_custom_2017",
    "Ruleset": "practice",
    "ID": "practice_s",
    "Track": "austria",
    "AssetGroup": "asset_groups/environment_package/tracks/austria/wep/austria.assetgroup",
    "Driver": 1,
    "Errors": 0
  },
  "FlowState": {
    "Previous": "OSQSyncReady",
    "Current": "InGame"
  },
  "FlowTransition": {
    "Previous": 1,
    "Current": 2
  },
  "Graphics": {
    "Vendor": "0x10DE",
    "Device": "0x1C82",
    "Driver": "NVIDIA 38541, r385_40",
    "AvailableVRAM": 0,
    "TotalVRAM": 4110336
  },
  "SystemInfo": {
    "ProcessorName": "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor",
    "ProcessorArchitecture": "x64 (AMD or Intel)",
    "NumberOfProcessors": "6",
    "TotalMemory:": "8187MB"

have some addons: by accident, I identified : when the game is frozen and I deplug the usb-wheel, immediately the game comes back. I then need to push ESC (otherwhile the car is crashing without control ..) , plug in again the wheel. and then "normal" play is possible again - for some time.
but as more time I play, the more often this issue is coming earlier. 
so I dealed to drive ~ 15 laps (de-/plug) - then it finally crashed completely, to get back to normal Win10 Desktop.

So this finally is no workaround, but maybe interesting for finding the issue for you, dear CM :)
crash-dump info.txt for this:

{
  "Version": 362691,
  "Exception": "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 000000009E112456",
    "ProcessMask": "3F",
    "SystemMask": "3F",
        "Current": 2458484736,
        "Peak": 3477807104
      },
        "Current": 5857513472,
        "Peak": 6243139584
      }
    }
  },
    "GameMode": "gm_Championship_Season",
    "Ruleset": "race",
    "ID": "race",
    "Track": "melbourne",
    "AssetGroup": "asset_groups/environment_package/tracks/melbourne/wep/melbourne.assetgroup",
    "Driver": 4,
  },
    "Previous": "BeginGameplay",
  },
  },
    "Device": "0x1C82",
    "Driver": "NVIDIA 38541, r385_40",
    "TotalVRAM": 4110336
  },
    "ProcessorName": "AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor",
    "NumberOfProcessors": "6",
    "TotalMemory:": "8187MB"
  },
  "OperatingSystem": {
    "MajorVersion": "10",
    "MinorVersion": "0",
    "Version": "Windows 10",
    "ServicePack": ""
  },
  "DisplayInfo": {
    "Display_0": {
      "Name": "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti",
    },
  },
}

Alas, the admin mode is not a work around. It still crashes to desktop. (would have been weird if that was the cause anyway). Please let me (or us, sure there are more people with this issue) know what to do so the game is playable.

An update, I have been able to finish a full 58 lap Melborne race by tuning the graphics way down to Medium. This might be a workaround until the graphic driver error is fixed.

Hi...

I also have an identical issue in the game but a different GPU than the one you have. I rolled back my drivers. Not fixed it. I have the newest update and this crash occurred all but 20 minutes ago halfway through my race. Amount of VRAM = 0.....however, I have an 8GB card.

The game is stuttering along, no matter what driver I use with my GPU, old or new. Then it will stutter hard, freeze and then CTD with no win 10 error at all.  3 races in a row now, with the new patch installed 1.6 and 1.5...Very frustrating to want to keep playing it now if I can't even finish a race.

I will PM my crash dump.

"Version": 363253,
"Exception": "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00000000408CB470",
"ProcessMask": "FF",
"SystemMask": "FF",
"Current": 3403444224,
"Peak": 3748880384
},
"Current": 6759346176,
"Peak": 7081668608
}
}
},
"GameMode": "gm_career_2017",
"Ruleset": "race",
"ID": "race",
"Track": "montreal",
"AssetGroup": "asset_groups/environment_package/tracks/montreal/wep/montreal.assetgroup",
"Driver": 20,
},
"Previous": "BeginGameplay",
},
},
"Device": "0x1B81",
"Driver": "NVIDIA 38476, r384_71",
"TotalVRAM": 4080640
},
"ProcessorName": "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz",
"NumberOfProcessors": "8",
"TotalMemory:": "16277MB"
},
"OperatingSystem": {
"MajorVersion": "10",
"MinorVersion": "0",
"Version": "Windows 10",
"ServicePack": ""
},
"DisplayInfo": {
"Display_0": {
"Name": "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070",
},

I am currently in process of testing graphics settings, one by one. It is tedious and a lot of work. As it is looking now, setting Post Process to High makes the game CTD. Anyone with the same problem can verify this? (See if the game crashes with Post Pro to Medium, if it doesnt see if it CTD again when putting it back on High). Thanks in advance.

I am currently in process of testing graphics settings, one by one. It is tedious and a lot of work. As it is looking now, setting Post Process to High makes the game CTD. Anyone with the same problem can verify this? (See if the game crashes with Post Pro to Medium, if it doesnt see if it CTD again when putting it back on High). Thanks in advance.
I have the same issue with a 780Ti, I can do a couple of laps fine and then once I am in the garage the game will crash. I have tried setting Post Process to Medium from High and I still get the crash.

@MusashiRyu

This is what I've tried so far 

Lowering all graphic settings to Ultra Low - Same error
Reinstalling graphics drivers - Same error
Removing all Nvidia software and only installing Graphics driver and PhysX - same error
Removing graphics driver and letting Windows updates install it - same error
Reverting back to driver 384.76 - same error.

Seems to be a problem with the game that only Codies can fix I'm getting the feeling now

My 780Ti has 3GB of memory, but when on the ultra low settings it has 1.4GB free and still crashes saying to lower my graphics as vmem usage is high or something along them lines, which obviously isn't correct.

My crash dump also says EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00000000408BEFA0

Windows 10 64bit Pro  build 15063 
16GB RAM
i7 4770K 3.5GHz

My game is also on a secondary hard drive and not on the C:\ drive if that makes a difference, I may try installing on C:\ to see 

Change the install directory to C:\ doesn't help 

Done 8 laps on Melbourne, paused, go back to garage looking through times and crash.

I sent my crash dump via PM, they have informed me that what is actually happening is the game is forcing itself to crash/shutdown for whatever reason.  They didn't really give me one on that, I would hope they are investigating the issue. The game is unplayable for me currently.  My hardware, i7 4770k no oc on that, 16gb ram, GTX 1070 and win 10.

I was thinking this may be processor related but I can also see that someone is using AMD's processor. So it isn't that at all.  

Are any of you running an overlay? Shadowplay? MSI afterburner?  I am using both while playing. I'm going to test run without both of those running, so disable MSI's overlay then shadowplay.  

To try to clarify what I said to @racingAlan via PM. We have a thread that watches the game and if it freezes for more than 30 seconds it kills the game and creates a crash dump so that we can try to figure out what was going on. This is very helpful for us in certain cases but I suspect in this one that it's actually a false positive and that it's causing the game to suddenly crash from your point of view.

So, to help me clarify this when this issue occurs does the game freeze and then crash ~30 seconds later or are you playing and then it instantly crashes?

F1Support said:
To try to clarify what I said to @racingAlan via PM. We have a thread that watches the game and if it freezes for more than 30 seconds it kills the game and creates a crash dump so that we can try to figure out what was going on. This is very helpful for us in certain cases but I suspect in this one that it's actually a false positive and that it's causing the game to suddenly crash from your point of view.

So, to help me clarify this when this issue occurs does the game freeze and then crash ~30 seconds later or are you playing and then it instantly crashes?
For me, I will be playing the game for some time before a crash occurs. Gaming with an unlocked framerate, no vsync. 144hz.  I have had crashes on all of my last 3 50% races.  Right towards the end, practice fully completed along with qualifying.  Usually stuttering starts occurring more than it does before a crash. 

F1Support said:

Hi Support, my issue may be the false positive, I now get a crash when I go into the garage via the pause menu. I have sent you the crash dumps via PM linking my thread.