Sign in to follow this  

GP2/GP3

I really like John Hindhaugh because he's from Sunderland, but I haven't heard him commentate that much to give a fair judgement. He's a very good motorsport reporter though and must be a better commentator than Bob Varsha!

As I predicted, it took all of 5 seconds for the safety car to come out :joy:

Utter, utter stupidity from Matsushita. Every single restart was poor, and dangerous. Completely deserves the ban.

But what about Pierre Gasly, by the time we get to Austria he will have gone over 1000 days without a race win. He's got many pole positions and has led many races but he just can't get that win.

Just when you thought no series could 1 up F1 stupidity, this penalty happens,  even though it clearly went off while driving as footage showed 

https://twitter.com/GP2_Official/status/759469301661372416?s=09

That's so ridiculous. Can you imagine if that happened in a title decider in Formula 1?

Imagine this scenario. It's the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi and Lewis Hamilton is on much fresher tyres than those in front of him with 5 laps to go. He's gained 2 places in that time, and with title rival Nico Rosberg about to win the race, Lewis needs to take one more spot to finish 3rd which will give him the title.

Rosberg wins the race (after a superb drive where he had to make an extra pitstop compared to his rivals), and Hamilton makes a last gasp move to overtake Ricciardo on the line to take the P3 he needs, and he is the world champion, by 0.05 of a second. It's probably the most tense end to a championship we've ever seen, even better than in 2008.

Aaaaaaaand then it's taken away a couple of hours later because his f*cking fire extinguisher had nothing left in it. There would be outrage.

I think the championship decider will be between my Prema boys Gio and Gasly and Gasly will win. I met him at goodwood and he definitely deserves to win after the bad luck he's had. Gio will win next year  ;)
I be watched him since his debut in F3 so I would love him to win Gp2 and graduate as an F1 driver.

I think Gasly needs to win this year to convince Red Bull that he's a better choice than Kvyat. It's his 2nd season in the series and you really need to win in one of those to have a proper chance at F1 (Palmer being the exception, winning in his 3rd season).

I think it'll come down to Gasly and Sirotkin. They've both had a couple of messy races this season and fingers crossed the rest will be a good clean fight with no issues.

Still sitting here hoping Alex Lynn will have a manic end of season winning all the remaining races. I can dream.

If Giovinazzi wins it in his debut season after jumping GP3, straight out of F3, he'd put a lot of drivers in the current field to shame. But I'd also expect him to not get a F1-seat out of it. Maybe it would be better to win it in his second season hypothetically, more spots avaliable then.

GP2 becomes Formula 2!

I think it's a good thing, and I expect GP3 will merge with FIA Formula 3 in 2 or 3 years time as well, so the route to F1 will be streamlined and clear. Karting > National F4 > F3 > F2 > F1.