Sign in to follow this  

Scottish Independence Referendum

For those of you overseas who haven't heard, Scotland votes for it's independence for the rest of the UK tomorrow, which would end more than 300 years of union. Now, I'm not Scottish, but this decision could have a major impact on my life, and some people I know (imagine applying for Uni, getting an offer, and then it becomes a foreign country!). This is the largest political event in a long time, as its reaches are far beyond a stronger line on a map.

I don't know how many of us are Scottish, but those who are, it would be great to hear what you think/ why your making the decision you are, and if your not Scottish, what your views are.

Personally, I can't see why people would vote yes. It just doesn't add up to me.

Your views here 
  |
 V

I admit I haven't followed this since the start, why does Scotland want to be independent now?

Alex Salmond is just exploiting the nationalism of Scottish people to try and further his own ambitions. @Herby007, I respect that opinion, but now is not the time for Scotland to leave.

Firstly, Spain and other countries facing a break up will block your move to the EU, it could take years to get in despite what that lunatic Alex Salmond thinks. Becoming part of the EU will force you to take the Euro, the UK got a special deal, Scotland wont. Your finances will not be in your hands, your laws will be based on EU things wont they? 

You wont get the Pound, even if you do, England controls your money(Tax, budget etc.). 

You'll have little to no military, you'll have very few friends and your economy will be based on something which the world is running out of and is moving away from. And you'll be hit with a recession almost instantly apparently too. The UK is on the up right now. 

In short, how "Independent" will you actually be? And think about this, 70% of English people want you guys to stay.

Think very carefully before you vote "Yes" because there is a lot of unanswered questions and no guarantee of anything, Alex Salmond has consistently dismissed everything he doesn't like as fear mongering. 

We've had Scottish PM's recently anyway, Labour is what most Scots vote for is it not? Think about what happens to your NHS, tuition fees for Uni, think about how well you'll cope without any friends and part of no alliances. 

It just does not add up, to much uncertainty. They are giving Scotland lots more power if you vote "No". I would vote No too if England had one and it was this uncertain. It'd be cool to have an Independent England, but I like the UK anyway. British > English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish
And no one under 18 should be voting on anything ever. I can't imagine what would happen if we get an EU referendum and people under 18 get a vote.

With all due respect, if you become independent, you'll be just another small EU member state of 5 million people who gets told what to do by Germany or Brussels all the time.

AMS97KRR said:
With all due respect, if you become independent, you'll be just another small EU member state of 5 million people who gets told what to do by Germany or Brussels all the time.
Vote yes for the comedic value of this.

When is the right time to leave the union? Probably around 30 years ago, in all honesty, before the privatisation of much of the national services, before the refocusing of Britains focus from production to service.

Alex Salmond will be gone by the time of the first election for a Scottish Government. I fear more for Mr. Cameron. The Prime Minster who sat back and let the union die. Although, really, The Union is over no matter what the vote. Devolution Max won't go down well in England and it will only be a matter of time before the union dissolves.

I'm not saying that leaving the Union will be best for Scotland in the short term. But my vote in the General Elections has no influence on the result. The politicians I vote to elect either A.) Don't carry out their promises or B.) Are singing from the same Hymn sheet anyway. When the entire of Scotland has more pandas then Conservative MPs, and yet the Conservatives are in overall charge of running Britain? That makes no sense to me. Power in Scotland to govern itself thank you very much.

EDIT: Pains me to say it, but the bloody Germans do it right. Their economy, their workmanship, absolutely everything. Rather have them in charge of Scotland then London. Guess they won WW2 after all ha.

I don't think I've ever seen AMS speak so much sense :o I really don't get why kids (basically) get to vote when they won't really understand what voting yes means. In their heads it'll be "Yea we are Scottish, F off England" lol 
If yes is voted for and it all goes tits up at least the UK can laugh and say "we told you so"

Why change when there's so many unanswered question? Either way it doesn't really bother me what Scotland decides. Good luck to them.

Herby007 said:
When is the right time to leave the union? Probably around 30 years ago, in all honesty, before the privatisation of much of the national services, before the refocusing of Britains focus from production to service.

Alex Salmond will be gone by the time of the first election for a Scottish Government. I fear more for Mr. Cameron. The Prime Minster who sat back and let the union die. Although, really, The Union is over no matter what the vote. Devolution Max won't go down well in England and it will only be a matter of time before the union dissolves.

I'm not saying that leaving the Union will be best for Scotland in the short term. But my vote in the General Elections has no influence on the result. The politicians I vote to elect either A.) Don't carry out their promises or B.) Are singing from the same Hymn sheet anyway. When the entire of Scotland has more pandas then Conservative MPs, and yet the Conservatives are in overall charge of running Britain? That makes no sense to me. Power in Scotland to govern itself thank you very much.

EDIT: Pains me to say it, but the bloody Germans do it right. Their economy, their workmanship, absolutely everything. Rather have them in charge of Scotland then London. Guess they won WW2 after all ha.
When you sit back and look at what you have right now, do you want to risk it all just because you fancy being independent? You are a part of a very influential and powerful country right now, there as so many things that could go wrong with this and I've seen no evidence that you'll be better off. 
When/if you leave in March 2016, you will not be part of the EU, you wont have the pound etc. etc.

You are being blindly led into it by a guy who has watched too much Braveheart. If you really want the best for Scotland, you should be voting No. So many "Don't knows" and "Hopefully's" being thrown around. 

Look, I am sure it is annoying that it is the way it is right now with the Government, but remember, English people hate the government too. As a whole we want you guys to stay. The UK is on the up as I said, it has already been predicted that it will have the best economy in Europe within 30 years, is that something you want to be a part of?

I hope you guys decide No tomorrow, and I hope you the Scottish government get the appropriate powers too. Why fix what isn't broken? 

Maybe you will realise what you've lost in 2016 if you do become independent, and wish you'd voted no. Maybe it will work out great after a decade or two. We don't know, but Scotland wont be in a great state in 2016 I wouldn't have thought based on the stuff that is being said by many important foreign and British people.

Also, the UK means almost nothing if Scotland leaves. The original Union incorporated England (Inc. Wales) and Scotland. Without Scotland, we'd just have England, a country that got forced into it and a part of Ireland which we probably shouldn't even have (Although I don't know how popular the UK is in N.I).  

Well, your wasting your breath with me. I've already voted, as has my partner and my parents.  Maybe you can save Jordie (think hes the only other Scottish guy here?). 

I'm being a polling clerk tomorrow so need to go read up on the material and then hit the hay; long day tomorrow. Interesting times. 

Herby007 said:
Well, your wasting your breath with me. I've already voted, as has my partner and my parents.  Maybe you can save Jordie (think hes the only other Scottish guy here?). 

I'm being a polling clerk tomorrow so need to go read up on the material and then hit the hay; long day tomorrow. Interesting times. 
I thought the vote was tomorrow?

Anyway, I agree with AMS. There are so many unknowns that could damage not only Scotland but Northern England too.

If Scotland aren't in Europe, they can't have the Euro or bailouts, if they aren't in the UK they can't have the pound. No currency and not any real economy considering nowadays we are moving away from oil.

You'd have no defence, the nuclear subs will probably leave and that will cause a Dunnoon MkII.

But everything's been said by AMS anyway. The fact that all 3 party English leaders say vote no kinda says it all...

Herby007 said:

There's barely any Torries in my region, yet they govern us. Sadly we can't go independent.

If we had a currency, some sort of military and the EU, then it would be a 100% yes....

Unfortunately none of those have been answered and i'm still stuck between yes and no......

By the time Russia gets to over here I think the world would have noticed. Invest the money saved in IrnBru and kilts.

Yes has picked up another 1% of the vote in the last day. It's now 49% yes - 51% no, excluding undecided voters. It really is down to people like Jordie, deciding the future.

@JordieDAFC No pressure, seriously...

Platy said:
By the time Russia gets to over here I think the world would have noticed. Invest the money saved in IrnBru and kilts.
I'd love to invade Scotland to get all the IrnBru, love the stuff! o:)