Jump to content Jump to content

Gamma is too light or too dark especially in replays

dfg15

I have tried adjusting the gamma and when I get it correct for darker conditions it is too light for brighter conditions. I notice this was an issue remarked on the  'inside sim racing' review of the game. I have a calibrated 4k monitor and and a standard hdtv and it is the same on both and have tried on a friends tv and it is most definitely an issue with the gamma in the game. It is especially bad when watching replays of races, or using a brighter team car. I have noticed other people complain of the same issue on this forum. Is it possible for the developers and #F1Support to look into maybe giving more sliders or a fix for this issue.
It needs a fix. The game is too dark and the weather transitions are the same. Low sun is beyond blinding and then overcast conditions or rain make the game too dark and too suddenly.

The in-game gamma test when setting up initially is fine, spot on, but the game is not balanced throughout compared to that.
Yeah totally agree, I get the game looking like it will be great, the watch a replay and a Williams goes past and it is totally blown out white, ir I go up eau rouge at spa and cannot even remotely see the top of the hill just blinding tarmac. So I darken the gamma and then I go to an overcast race in the morning and I can't even see the inside of the wheels on the car or some corners coming up. I understand they have added dynamic lighting to make it real but it   needs a fix and some more adjustability etc.
F1Support said:
Hello dfg15, thank you for reporting this. Could you post screenshots of the issue please? Also can you confirm which platform you're on.
steviejay69 is on PC going by his signature.

@MachOne1 if you care to articulate your point I'll take a look in to it.
@F1Support I did, I posted it in another similar thread, in which I think you were mentioned by others, maybe you did not see my comments.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/57051/what-do-you-think-of-the-graphics-in-f1-2017/p1

Here is one of them:

For the PS4 the graphics are hit and miss in my opinion and experience so far, especially the replay graphics which mostly are terrible. In most replays i've seen so far you can see the pattern they have used to fill in the track, it's so large it looks ridiculous, like a game from the 80's or 90's lol. 
On top of  that the car doesn't look that good either with the glare on them that is just too much, don't get me wrong in some places the graphics look stunning but then in total contrast most other places it's a complete joke, and I have to say I'm really dissapointed. 
I've seen Youtube footage on other platforms and the graphics look great which is partly why I was so excited for the game so I think PS4 is coming off the worst for graphics. 2016 the graphics I think were great and it was consistent all round, but this 2017, is so far, for the PS4 a complete mess.
MachOne1 said:
Replays mostly are a joke on the PS4.    

Edit: No swearing please, and *s still count.
@F1Support  I apologise, I don't usually swear, but I'm furious with where the PS4 graphics are at the moment for which a game I know can potentially be great graphically, handling is so far very good.
@F1Support
I have attached some pictures of in game exposure/ gamma (the force India and cockpit cam) and the Ferrari on its own is a replay screenshot. I cannot get the exposure balanced correctly, I understand there is meant to be realism with the sunlight/shadows but it seems far too much in this game. It is not the monitor etc as these are screen shots directly from PS4 Pro console. There maybe needs some tweaking or addition of fine tuning tools/ Its spoiling the game for me to be honest 

@F1Support
I have uploaded more examples of the lighting being too dark and too light, especially in replays this definitely needs fixed on PS4/ PS4 Pro, its ruining the overall game for me and my friends. The first image here is a perfect example of what happens, also when the cars are moving they become blown out in light far too easily its unnatural

This is exactly it...

I can conform this.
https://youtu.be/K_KWA2aJ0fw

The 1st clip is in russia. As you can see it's way to bright even with gamma at 0.85. Turn 5 is a complete mess. When you are breaking you can't even see the corner until you turn in. Another point is that it's really exhausting for your eyes. If you drive 50% race your eyes are done for the rest of the day. If you turn the gamma down to much the hue gets very unnatural.
In the 2nd clip the mirros shouldn't be shining that much. You're in a tunnel. The lighting of the track is normal and the mirrors are shining as if they were reflecting the sun.

Yeah its really bad, the replays are unwatchable because of bright light.

The game and replays a night look AMAZING but during day they are horrendous washed out and too bright-

BUT during they day the are overblown it definitely is an issue to do with the way the game is rendering sunlight etc This is ruining my enjoyment of the game

Archived