Sign in to follow this  

Difficulty settings

Did they improve the options of F1 2013 any over 2012? I didn't get 13 because I couldn't find a physical copy anywhere. But in 2012, I had trouble getting a good balance. I am an F1 newb lol. If I ran pro, I didn't stand much of a chance on all but a select few tracks I was good at. And if I ran intermediate (I think that was the next one down) I would dominate every race.

I tested it at around a 4 second per lap difference for the AI for 1 difficulty level. That's way too much. I ran Pro in Ferrari, and couldn't seem to get higher than about 4th and the leader would be long gone, with the exception of a couple tracks where I excelled, or the AI sucked lol. But I could run Marussia on Inter. and win almost every race, and get podiums on the ones I didn't lol. I refuse to run assist, and I don't feel that would make much difference anyway (at least not on 2012). So more difficulty settings would be great, a 4 second difference is too much.

If they didn't change it, then I hope for 2014, they make a few more difficulty levels, or in a perfect world, a slider.

Did they improve the options of F1 2013 any over 2012? I didn't get 13 because I couldn't find a physical copy anywhere. But in 2012, I had trouble getting a good balance. I am an F1 newb lol. If I ran pro, I didn't stand much of a chance on all but a select few tracks I was good at. And if I ran intermediate (I think that was the next one down) I would dominate every race.

I tested it at around a 4 second per lap difference for the AI for 1 difficulty level. That's way too much. I ran Pro in Ferrari, and couldn't seem to get higher than about 4th and the leader would be long gone, with the exception of a couple tracks where I excelled, or the AI sucked lol. But I could run Marussia on Inter. and win almost every race, and get podiums on the ones I didn't lol. I refuse to run assist, and I don't feel that would make much difference anyway (at least not on 2012). So more difficulty settings would be great, a 4 second difference is too much.

If they didn't change it, then I hope for 2014, they make a few more difficulty levels, or in a perfect world, a slider.
I think you'd have preffered 2013 then as the levels were closer together and the AI was much more aggressive. A little too  aggressive for me personally so I'm hoping they add a new lower diddiculty or tweak the existing ones

I think you'd have preffered 2013 then as the levels were closer together and the AI was much more aggressive. A little too  aggressive for me personally so I'm hoping they add a new lower diddiculty or tweak the existing ones
That's good then, hopefully I'll be able to find F1 2014. There seems to be no physical copies on the east coast U.S. lol.

Highest difficult level on f12012 should have been renamed as "impossible". You even struggled on pro settings, specially with the underdogs. In f12013 happens exactly the same, but you had one extra intermediate difficulty level. Good thing about F12013 was that you could turn penalties off, helping this greatly to avoid retarded penalty system from 2012 caused by the also retarded AI and their invisible rails.

In short, if you combine the classic trilion bugs iconic to the series with the really difficult to beat AI, then F12013 is the way to go If you are looking for an authentic and bugged to the root challenge. You have also lolincreased tyre wear that can make things interesting as long as you play against humans (AI is also affect by this but..., it is the AI after all, and will smoke you even if their tyres are almost gone). Fuel management can be also interesting when playing vs other players only.

If you need lower difficulty, roll back to 2011 or 2010, and use mods to tune it. 2012 and '13 highest difficulty settings are very hard. For wheel users only, or no life freaks

hola said:
Highest difficult level on f12012 should have been renamed as "impossible". You even struggled on pro settings, specially with the underdogs. In f12013 happens exactly the same, but you had one extra intermediate difficulty level. Good thing about F12013 was that you could turn penalties off, helping this greatly to avoid retarded penalty system from 2012 caused by the also retarded AI and their invisible rails.

In short, if you combine the classic trilion bugs iconic to the series with the really difficult to beat AI, then F12013 is the way to go If you are looking for an authentic and bugged to the root challenge. You have also lolincreased tyre wear that can make things interesting as long as you play against humans (AI is also affect by this but..., it is the AI after all, and will smoke you even if their tyres are almost gone). Fuel management can be also interesting when playing vs other players only.

If you need lower difficulty, roll back to 2011 or 2010, and use mods to tune it. 2012 and '13 highest difficulty settings are very hard. For wheel users only, or no life freaks

Actually 2012 wasn't too bad on the lower settings either it's just that in 2013 the pace of the driving aids doesn't match the AI at the bottom level like it does on the earlier games that's where CM screwed up. I'm hopeful they'll correct this in 2014 either by adding a new lower level art the same level as where Amateur wsa before or bring the driving aids and such up to speed with the rest of the game

hola said:

I use a wheel actually :P but I don't play on PC (My PC is a PoS, and I am not heavy into PC gaming anymore, because I don't feel like wasting time tweaking things lol). Using a wheel is actually a lot harder than a controller in this game. On some tracks it's not so bad, but others, esp any with S turns, you're at a disadvantage. But, I don't really race online anyway. Mainly because I have 0 patience for getting wrecked (and I do have mild anger problems lol). So at most I'll race with 3 of my friends, of which only 1 of them even has this game, and I can't keep up with him on most tracks unless I switch to controller. (although I have been improving as I learn the tracks better).

Also, I don't mind the highest difficulty being impossible, because I know there are people out there who are good enough, they need that difficulty level to have a good challenge. I just want more middle ground options is all, so I can continue to play multiple different racing games and play F1 when I am in the mood for it and not get dominated, or as with the inter. level, dominate too easily.

I'll most likely never be a heavy online racer, mostly because of the fact that humans are far worse than the worst A.I. I've ever played against 9/10 times.

I'm sure eventually, if the handling model doesn't change too much, I'll be able to race on pro or above no problem, as I have a few top 1000 times and top 10k on almost all other tracks I've set laps on, on Forza, without using leaderboard cars. So it really comes down to whether I put the time in or not. But until then, I just want more adjustability on the difficulty level without having to touch assist.

Btw, I don't get penalties too often offline, not since the last patch anyway, before that looking at my mirror the wrong way gave me a penalty.

Side note : Is it weird, that with my first F1 game, Monaco is one of my best tracks? lol

Getting the difficulty right for a game like F1 is so hard yet absolutely vital to the experience. Finish 5th in a Caterham? The illusion is broken straight away. Yet if you are too slow the game is just not fun. I've always felt that the F1 games need more difficulty levels, perhaps even a slider or a way of automating it to a players level. It really is vital to get a good experience if the Ai is way ahead or behind their level.

I think the truth is though the F1 games are not hard as such, just that they take time to get good at. Most of it just comes down to muscle memory and understanding the limit of the car. And to develop that is easy, you just have to put the laps in. I personally have no trouble beating legend ai (and I assure you there are people quicker than me), but this is not a magic trick just a case of enough laps over the years. I thought I was on the limit 5 years ago and I'm whole seconds faster despite seemingly doing the same thing. The more track time the faster you get, even if you don't realise it but there is no magic shortcut to improving.

Ultimately if you want to really enjoy these games you have to get somewhat good at them and that means building up your experience. You have to be able to lap consistently without major errors and know all the tracks well. I think Codemasters need to look at finding ways to develop the players driving skills and abilities otherwise a lot of the good stuff in the game means nothing to those players. The young drivers test is far, far too basic.

I can win on the full Legend setting in all the Codemasters F1 titles but I'd never run that setting for Career, what with the track evolution and the fact that the car is always under developed until the latter part of the season. For me Professional AI is too slow but the new for 2013 difficulty of Expert AI is a little too fast. I bridge the gap by having ABS and medium TC. The AI also gain the advantage when you switch the assists on and this way I feel competitive and have fun. Which is what it's all about.

As far as finding a hard copy (F1 2013 Ps3/X Box 360) in the U.S or Canada is impossible because it was NEVER released here in disk form... go figure, they also commented on Grid Autosport as it "should" be available in North America but don't hold your breath for a hard copy of F1 2014 in N.A... any comments Codies!

Magic01 said:

Getting the difficulty right for a game like F1 is so hard yet absolutely vital to the experience. Finish 5th in a Caterham? The illusion is broken straight away. Yet if you are too slow the game is just not fun. I've always felt that the F1 games need more difficulty levels, perhaps even a slider or a way of automating it to a players level. It really is vital to get a good experience if the Ai is way ahead or behind their level.

I think the truth is though the F1 games are not hard as such, just that they take time to get good at. Most of it just comes down to muscle memory and understanding the limit of the car. And to develop that is easy, you just have to put the laps in. I personally have no trouble beating legend ai (and I assure you there are people quicker than me), but this is not a magic trick just a case of enough laps over the years. I thought I was on the limit 5 years ago and I'm whole seconds faster despite seemingly doing the same thing. The more track time the faster you get, even if you don't realise it but there is no magic shortcut to improving.

Ultimately if you want to really enjoy these games you have to get somewhat good at them and that means building up your experience. You have to be able to lap consistently without major errors and know all the tracks well. I think Codemasters need to look at finding ways to develop the players driving skills and abilities otherwise a lot of the good stuff in the game means nothing to those players. The young drivers test is far, far too basic.

I know, I've improved already. There are some tracks, like Monaco for example, where I was running race laps on par with what the Pro AI did when I raced on that, in my Marussia last night lol. While others, like Canada for some reason, where I've yet to finish top 5 after 2 races there (running the 3rd today) with it being the ONLY track on the schedule I haven't gotten at least a podium at, even after the difficulty drop I did late season 1.

I won a race on pro, before turning it down. So it's not like it's impossible, nor do I think I'll race below pro forever. But during the summer months esp, I travel a lot. I was in Cali for a month just a couple weeks ago, and I'll be headed out to Florida tomorrow. (I'm from Maryland). I simply don't always have the time to "put the laps in" I also play other racing games, and that sometimes throws me off. By the time I get the next F1 game released in America lol, I'll probably be able to race on pro NP. But that doesn't change the fact that I feel the difficulties were too spread out in F1 2012. desperately needs one between inter and pro. I got a pass through penalty early in my race at Monaco, and still won the race with a Marussia on inter with a damaged front wing lol.
likewise said:
As far as finding a hard copy (F1 2013 Ps3/X Box 360) in the U.S or Canada is impossible because it was NEVER released here in disk form... go figure, they also commented on Grid Autosport as it "should" be available in North America but don't hold your breath for a hard copy of F1 2014 in N.A... any comments Codies!
I hope so, I don't buy digital games. And when I do, it's only ones I've tried at a max of $15 or ones I haven't for a max of .99 cents. I'm not for digital, as I consider it a disposable commodity, and lacking of long term value of any sort. I still have my NES hooked up, so longevity is important to me.

Lack of physical is also one of the main reasons I moved away from PC gaming.

The cars in 2013 annoyed me when I had the game. I love racing in legendary difficultly and I did for 2010,2011 and 2012, even in the slower teams as it wasn't impossible. 2013 was impossible. I was nowhere near the pace in the slower teams and even in a Lotus I couldn't compete unless the track was Melborne and Montreal. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a pad user (currently) or it legendary on 2013 was impossible

and22rew said:
The cars in 2013 annoyed me when I had the game. I love racing in legendary difficultly and I did for 2010,2011 and 2012, even in the slower teams as it wasn't impossible. 2013 was impossible. I was nowhere near the pace in the slower teams and even in a Lotus I couldn't compete unless the track was Melborne and Montreal. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a pad user (currently) or it legendary on 2013 was impossible
Maybe cause you use a pad. I use a wheel and legendary was too easy I thought, I qualify on pole usually at least 1 second ahead of the next car on every track in a good car.  If I choose a slower car its more realistic, but I'm stuck competing for a top 5 instead of wins. I have to find just the right car to balance it where its even, which isn't easy when the cars change every year in career, plus it just feels weird winning the championship in a Sauber or Force India haha.  It'd be nice if you could have like a Ferrari vs Red Bull battle instead of Torro Rosso vs Red Bull.

I used to love driving on legendary difficulty on F1 2012. It was very realistic driving from the AI but not too hard or impossible. But 2013 legendary difficulty is ridiculous. I can't get inside top 5 in a Ferrari or a Red Bull. Some might say that I'm a bad driver. But how did I manage to get consistant podiums and wins on 2012 and not on 2013. And also tyre wear on legendary for me is so bad it makes me sick.

I used to love driving on legendary difficulty on F1 2012. It was very realistic driving from the AI but not too hard or impossible. But 2013 legendary difficulty is ridiculous. I can't get inside top 5 in a Ferrari or a Red Bull. Some might say that I'm a bad driver. But how did I manage to get consistant podiums and wins on 2012 and not on 2013. And also tyre wear on legendary for me is so bad it makes me sick.
Do you use a wheel?  Tire wear is bad, but it was bad in real life last year so it's realistic.  In 2012 there was hardly any tire wear if I remember right, so you might have gotten used to that driving style and it doesn't work in 2013.  Play around with the setups, there are ways to make your car easier on the tires just by changing the setup. Plus you'll get some practice in and get a better feel for the car and end up being easier on your tires in the race.

Use no assists. Dry Qualy - Legend, Wet Qualy - Expert, Dry Race - Expert, Wet Race - Professional, Really annoying having to adjust difficulty settings because the AI tyre wear and race pace and wet pace don't match with my abilities. Im trying harder to get faster in the wet though. DFGT peddles make it hard.