Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strict Corner Cutting Needs To Be Looked At

Strict corner cutting (at least online), heavily needs to be revised if we are to have a fair platform for league races. There's too much inconsistency going on at the moment to the point where some tracks are almost unplayable for league racing. For e.g. Canada is an a horrendous state atm where you cut the final chicane massively without having the kerbs upset your momentum at all. The same goes for the chicane before the hairpin. Monaco is also very poor on limits at turn 1 and the chicane. Australia is also very poor in detecting cuts for the right hander at the fast left-right. Abu Dhabi also has some kerbs that can be cut without warning + the sausage kerbs not affecting the momentum. Russia is also just as bad as last year. Austria turn 1 as well. The final chicane at Spain. Silverstone Stowe can be extended. The final corner at China is also in a bad state. Plus many other tracks which aren't coming to my head at the moment. 

The limits are worse than 2016 at the moment and they need to be rectified. Especially considering that the competitive side of the game is creeping more into the public eye with esports on the horizon. Having these fixed would be highly appreciated by all league racers.

@F1Support

There are also some issues where they are too strict. In time trial on Monza the detection for the start of Ascari is ridiculous, take any curb at all, even a cm and you get an invalid lap. Ruins the whole lap as it makes it difficult to hit all 3 apex's on that chicane

@F1Support I’ve noticed invalid lap times at Hungary as well for touching the kerbs with just a single wheel. This happens at multiple corners. Hungary isn’t the only track. According to FIA rules, it’s only invalid/penalty if all 4 wheels leave the track and an advantage is gained. If no advantage is gained there should be no penalties or invalid laps.

In Monza at Turn 6 (Lesmo 1) exit I just touch the kurbs with 2 wheels and my time gets invalidated in Time Trial. 

Hello all, we'll take a look in to this but videos would be very helpful when trying to assess the scale of the problem.

F1Support said:
Hello all, we'll take a look in to this but videos would be very helpful when trying to assess the scale of the problem.
I’ll see what I can muster up, but it’ll take a while to check each corner on each track. Wouldn’t it be easier to build in a tolerance at each track and invalidate time that clearly show an advantage was gained? Or if a slow down wasn’t observed? @F1Support

There should be some accounting for the fact the cars are much wider this season also, but consistency is the real goal

F1Support said:
I'll try and go through each track tonight, record, and make a video of the worst corner cutting situations on the game.

FRACTURED said:
There should be some accounting for the fact the cars are much wider this season also, but consistency is the real goal
How does a car being wider affect if it goes off track? The wheels are either on the track or not. The tracks are the same.

FRACTURED said:
How does a car being wider affect if it goes off track? The wheels are either on the track or not. The tracks are the same.
If you are serious I can give you some examples.

FRACTURED said:
You should be allowed to use the kerbs as long as all 4 wheels do not leave the track. That’s how it is in real life. They only penalize you after multiple infractions, the game does it immediately for just a single wheel and that’s not realistic.

Assetto Corsa, PCars and Forza all have this in effect. Your given a warning if an advantage is gained and then your lap is invalidated after a couple offenses or if there’s blatant corner cutting to gain an advantage. There’s an easy solution here without going corner by corner of each track. If your car goes on the other side of the kerbing you get penalized, shouldn’t be difficult to implement that. It’s a fair balance and the more realistic option/compromise. @F1Support

FRACTURED said:
FRACTURED said:

This should be fun.

Look at what they do irl. They are pushing all the time. You can't push like hell and not have a cut or extend somewhere. The rule's in the game is what ruin's it. If we had the same rule's irl nobody would finish the damn race. It really sucks those strict shit, just make it like the real thing

Okay I recorded plenty cuts but I'm too busy to edit them all down into a short video. However I'll give you a few clips of my friend who helped me do some recording of strict rules cuts. We made sure that we done races as we know that if you get a warning in qualy, the cuts on the rest of the lap may not register as a warning when they usually would have. These are some of the worst cuts that are possible on strict and promise me, this is 100% on strict rules. We were certain of this as we done 5 laps and checked the settings in between races.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36073330

-Easily gaining time with this massive cut despite the kerb jump at the first part. There's no way that kerb jump is slowing him down enough to be a disadvantage. You can also cut the last part of the chicane without cutting the first part and it still won't give you a warning. There's absolutely no question that the surface is deterring the speed at the 2nd part, if there is any question that there is a disadvantage at the first part (absolutely not imo). Turn 8 is also a problem around here.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36073730

-4 wheels off, no warning and the kerbs are not slowing his momentum enough. 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36073896

-No punishment for slightly missing apex. Cut still possible without warning even if first apex is hit.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36073983

-Such short period on grass and astro doesn't affect the momentum on this game. 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36074085

-Once again, kerb does not affect the momentum. 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/JACK%20575/video/36074187

-Wouldn't say turn 2 was advantageous, but turn 4 definitely was. Turn 6 can also be cut by a big amount around this track. As well as the corner after the back straight, and the 2nd to last and final corner.

Okay, that's just about the amount of cuts he recorded. Note that there was more around these tracks that he didn't record that I managed to record but can't provide the footage as it's on a game capture and I'm too busy to edit and upload. Notable cuts missing are turn 1 and 8 at Austria (3rd last corner)

So it is clear to me that this heavily needs to be looked into if competitive racing is fair. It also isn't just an issue around these tracks above. We stopped at Austria out of boredom. Strict corner cutting is essentially an issue at 95% of the tracks. Brazil is the only consistent one I've saw at the moment. Every track needs to be looked into. I personally believe a lot of these corner cuts go without warning because you guys believe that astro, grass and kerbs are causing no advantage. But trust me, the majority of cases, there is an advantage gained. Warnings simply need to be dished out on these cases. League racers just can't stand another year of poor track limits. It needs to start going back more towards F1 2015. Most league racers I know agree with that opinion. 

As for some corners being too strict, I don't really care about them. There's too many corners atm that aren't strict enough. I'd much prefer all corners adhered to the 4 wheels over white line rule, with a few corners being overly strict and giving warnings when you didn't leave the track. At least in those cases, most drivers who regularly race the tracks will learn the limits of that corner and know not to get too close to the limit before it gives you a warning. If you get a warning for not cutting, sure it's a bit unfair and frustrating but the most important thing is that there is no advantage gained in that scenario. However corners that are too lenient, there is always someone being disadvantaged when they take it clean and others don't and get away with it. That always makes a sour league racing community. Let's just make it clean and fair throughout and get these warnings fixed!

@F1Support

Video credits: @JACK575

I think some tracks could be stricter (Canada, Monaco), however, on the whole, it's fine.

In real life, they don't worry about them too much so let's not go ultra-unrealistic with extra-strict track limits.

7thGearRL said:
I think some tracks could be stricter (Canada, Monaco), however, on the whole, it's fine.

In real life, they don't worry about them too much so let's not go ultra-unrealistic with extra-strict track limits.
It is absolutely NOT fine. How can you look at the video I linked of the corner cuts at Spain chicane and Canada and say it's fine?! Every track has at least 1 cuttable corner and there's plenty of major cuts that can be done without warning as well. League racers prefer to have the limits adhere to what the rules say. I haven't heard a single league racer say that the state of corner cutting is fine. At the end of the day, if people think it's too strict, then they can use regular. Surely that's what the strict setting was brought in for? For people who want to go simulation and get penalised for disrespecting the track limits rules which is all 4 wheels outside the white lines. 

And btw, I hate it when people say what you just said. You can't compare the corner cuts in this game to real life. Sure they let a few extends pass by (they were actually deleting laps at eau rouge for going 4 off this year) but the overwhelming majority of the corners that can be cut on this game, are simply not cuttable in real life because the kerbing, astro or grass won't allow them to do that advantageously. I mean, can you honestly admit to seeing a real life driver going all 4 wheels off on the inside at Australia's left-right chicane and gaining an advantage? Have you seen an irl driver cut China's final corner and gained an advantage? Have you seen an irl driver cut the final chicane at Spain and gained an advantage? How about Austria turn 1? All of Canada's chicanes? I could go on and on. The way the car reacts to hard kerbs, grass and astro is completely different in real life to the game. You can cut these corners on the game that you can't cut irl because they are not slowing the car down enough when you use it. Therefore if all that can't be implemented into the game, then warnings need to happen when all 4 wheels exit the white lines. Just like they do on advantageous corner cuts in real life (e.g. eau rouge). If you could cut so much irl that you can do in this game, they would be far more stricter than what they are. It's only a few corners you can exceed advantageously irl.

And I'm also pretty sure codies didn't make it so lenient because it's realistic. If that was the case, why will it give a warning as soon as you leave the white lines around the likes of t2 Brazil or t1 exit at Austria? I just think they thought that the kerbs, astro or grass is making these above extensions disadvantageous. But they just aren't on this game. They simply do not kill the momentum enough. 

Strict rules should be for the experienced league racers that want to be penalised for exceeding track limits and gaining advantage. It just isn't at the moment and in my opinion, needs to be addressed. 

On a side note, racing around tracks in its current state for esports will NOT go down well if the drivers are taking the cars to the games limits. I've seen enough AOR streams to know that once someone starts exceeding track limits on the regular, the chat will go ballistic. It will only be worse for the bigger audience that esports will bring and it will surely give the game a bad image if all the drivers start abusing track limits.

Looks like @F1Support could may well be sweeping this under the carpet, what a shame. Even though I'd prefer all corners to be perfect in giving out warnings, major or minor, surely the likes of Austria T1, the Spain chicanes and Canada's chicanes can't be overlooked? You can just do way too big of a cut. And then you get Brazil t2 giving you a warning as soon as you go all four wheels off. It shouldn't be this inconsistent and the major cuts surely need to be rectified if not the minor ones?

F1Support said:
stop asking people to do your job

@Stuart949 Many thanks for the videos you have provided us with, they are very helpful. We are currently investigating ways to improve this.

F1Support said:
@Stuart949 Many thanks for the videos you have provided us with, they are very helpful. We are currently investigating ways to improve this.
That's good to hear. I hope to see it improved in a future patch :smile:

Stuart949 said:
F1Support said:
That's good to hear. I hope to see it improved in a future patch :smile:
Good luck with that.

FRACTURED said:
FRACTURED said:

This should be fun.
Missed this after it was buried for a bit.
Simple one: with just two wheels kept on track, this year versus last year there would be 20cm more car off track which might trigger a false 'cut' warning - corner cutting 'hitboxes' or whatever they are naming them could flag something that to a lot of racers might look legit.
More complicated one: two cars going side by side through a left right 'S' whilst leaving each other space. One might take a little inside kerb 1st and a little of the outside in the next turn and the other might take a little of the outside 1st and a little bit of the inside on next turn so they both get through clean and fair without colliding - Game could throw a false positive at both if the code for corner cutting hasn't taken account of new car widths, or the fact two guys are trying to race clean and fair.

Either way whichever setting people use that setting needs to be consistent and it sounds like its far from that anyways!