Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strict Corner Cutting Needs To Be Looked At

FRACTURED said:
FRACTURED said:
FRACTURED said:
There should be some accounting for the fact the cars are much wider this season also, but consistency is the real goal
How does a car being wider affect if it goes off track? The wheels are either on the track or not. The tracks are the same.
If you are serious I can give you some examples.

This should be fun.
Missed this after it was buried for a bit.
Simple one: with just two wheels kept on track, this year versus last year there would be 20cm more car off track which might trigger a false 'cut' warning - corner cutting 'hitboxes' or whatever they are naming them could flag something that to a lot of racers might look legit.
More complicated one: two cars going side by side through a left right 'S' whilst leaving each other space. One might take a little inside kerb 1st and a little of the outside in the next turn and the other might take a little of the outside 1st and a little bit of the inside on next turn so they both get through clean and fair without colliding - Game could throw a false positive at both if the code for corner cutting hasn't taken account of new car widths, or the fact two guys are trying to race clean and fair.

Either way whichever setting people use that setting needs to be consistent and it sounds like its far from that anyways!
You don't detect a car by hitting off track triggers or zones, you detect the car position relative to the track. If no part of the car touches the track, it is a cut. Doesn't matter how big the car is.

In fact the wheel objects have a dimension that is measured in x,y(,z) coordinates (a reference plane) and the track has x,y(,z) coordinates (it's own reference plane). If the track reference plane does not intersect with any of the wheel object offsets for the car origin (x,y,z) in that reference plane, then it is not on track.

FRACTURED said:
So whats the craic for illegitimate cuts, what is happening for those, just crap coding on their part?  
They might be doing as you suggest, detecting collisions with invisible objects instead of not detecting a permanent collision with the track. In that scenario all the invisible objects won't be endless they'll be zonal.

Hence being able to drive the final corner at Spain instead of the artificial infield section.

I remember on '11 maybe at Sao Paolo you could use the huge runoff on that last left hander before the run up the hill and the line (as well as being strangely able to see turn 2 and 3 on the other side which was mind boggling.)

People made a second gear turn a 4th gear turn. Was wiped out so many times just taking the normal line.

I agreed this NEEDS to be fixed as me and my friend race online and if I'm ahead he just cuts some corners he knows he won't get pentalized and gets ahead of me. That's cheating.....Bugger....:)

Has this not being looked into @F1Support @CmRachel? I heard that one of the esports finale races will be Canada. You do realise that if you go into that race with the current strict settings then there is going to be a severe amount of corner cutting around that track, all broadcasted live? What incentive do the drivers not have for cutting if the biggest prize yet is on offer? Surely it will look bad to see everyone mincing the track limits in front of thousand of viewers?