Sign in to follow this  

Screwed By 2013 Again!

Well this damn game did it to me again.  This time, at India, I could only make it around 1 lap before my tires were complete crap, so I had to pit at the end of lap 1, then pit again around lap 10 in a 25 lap race.  The best I could pull out with one more pit stop than everyone else was 5th place.  What bogus BS.  I can only assume the tire wear from Qualifying carried over to the race, but what idiot team would start on worn tires?  Where does it say in any rules that the tires you qualify on have to be the ones you start on?  As I said, total BS.

Scrench

Scrench said:
 Where does it say in any rules that the tires you qualify on have to be the ones you start on?  As I said, total BS.
If you get into Q3, you have to start the Race on the tyres that you did your Q3 lap on.

Not so pointless because nowhere is it explained that you start a race on the tires you qualified on.  Thank you Skiddyboy13.  Lets say that I'm able to turn in the fastest qualifying lap in my first couple of laps that will hold up for pole position.  Would it be prudent then to just go to the garage and let time expire without putting anymore wear on the tires?

Scrench said:
Not so pointless because nowhere is it explained that you start a race on the tires you qualified on.  Thank you Skiddyboy13.  Lets say that I'm able to turn in the fastest qualifying lap in my first couple of laps that will hold up for pole position.  Would it be prudent then to just go to the garage and let time expire without putting anymore wear on the tires?
Typically, in Q3 you would do 2 runs. So after doing 1/2 proper laps, you'd come into the pits and select a new set of tyres for a second run. If you're totally confident with the first run that you've secured pole, you can stay in and keep another set of brand new tyres for the race.

This thread is dangerous, a dev might see it and think that casual players don't understand parc fermé rules, thus removing yet another F1 quirk from the game!

OK.  I understand the onus of this is on me for not understanding the rules completely, but at the least, for new players like me, it would help if Codemasters would include a brief statement saying that since this game is so realistic, the rules of F1 should be reviewed before attempting to play this game, and suggest a link to go to to do that.  Speaking of which, so I don't sound like a ranting child again, or make another idiotic mistake, or inadvertently cause a developer to remove an important feature of the game for those who enjoy as much realism as possible, can someone please direct me to a website that will have all of the pertinent rules I need to review?  Thank you all for your honest replies.  I wrote the original rant right after spending 5 hours trying to run a perfect race and having to restart whenever I had major screwups, to catch back up to P1.  Flashback does not work with my wheel, like some other features.  I had a streak of 3 poles, 3 fastest laps, and 3 first place finishes going, and I just had to sit in absolute frustration with being unable to change the situation of this race.  I guess I should be thankful for the P5 finish (and read all of the rules).

Would it be foolish to end Qualifying a lap early so I could get back to the garage and put on a set of new tires for the race, or would that effect the number of spare tires I have in the pit for the race?

OGFedfan, I already made that mistake too.   F1 cars do not get refueled during a race.  That is why you can pick a fuel strategy at the beginning of your race, and why you may have to manage it during the race.  Check out some of the videos on Youtube and you will see guys calling up the fuel menu and adjusting it while driving.  I am by no means an expert, but I've found that the Cautious setting makes the car too heavy to keep up with race pace, and Aggressive requires fuel management during the race.  I use Normal setting which has gotten me to the end of every race except one without management.  Hope this helps.

Scrench said:

Would it be foolish to end Qualifying a lap early so I could get back to the garage and put on a set of new tires for the race, or would that effect the number of spare tires I have in the pit for the race?

The rule is that you have to start the race on the tyres you set your Q3 qualifying time on, not the tyres you finsihed the session with. So unless you don’t do a qualifying lap at all, you’re always going to have to start on a slightly worn set.

I do agree that CM could do a better job of explaining some of the F1 rules in-game if they’re not going to give us a proper instruction manual though… much as we don’t really like the race engineer’s mostly-vacuous comments, this is one case where he could usefully remind/teach the player about this particular rule.

Thanks for that explanation.  Now I know I need to set the fastest lap in Q3 I can, as fast as I can, then wait out the clock in the garage to save the tyres.  Perhaps in the future Codemasters could add if not link to the actual rules, a short video to the game that explains the rules we need to know.  I fully admit I had no idea there was so much going on behind the actual racing itself, and as a result, I am now a F1 fan, get up extra early on Sundays to watch streamed broadcasts of races (just finished watching Singapore), and absolutely love this game, which is why my passion sometimes overrides my good sense.  All in all though, thanks to Codemasters for making such a wonderful game.

Scrench

Scrench said:
Thanks for that explanation.  Now I know I need to set the fastest lap in Q3 I can, as fast as I can, then wait out the clock in the garage to save the tyres.  Perhaps in the future Codemasters could add if not link to the actual rules, a short video to the game that explains the rules we need to know.  I fully admit I had no idea there was so much going on behind the actual racing itself, and as a result, I am now a F1 fan, get up extra early on Sundays to watch streamed broadcasts of races (just finished watching Singapore), and absolutely love this game, which is why my passion sometimes overrides my good sense.  All in all though, thanks to Codemasters for making such a wonderful game.

Scrench

well the rules can change from season to season sometimes for example this year it'll  be the fastest time in Q2 that you'll be starting with. Assuming you make Q3 that is.

The best bet I can suggest is lookup the basic rules on the F1 website.

http://www.formula1.com/

lol wow. 2013 is last year's game which abides by last year's rules. If you're in Q3 or qualifying in the 15 minute "short qualifying session" then whichever set of tyres you set your best lap with will be the set of tyres you have to start the race with, as per the rules. This is why Q3 rules have changed this year: you get one free set of tyres to use in Q3 and must forfeit those tyres once time has expired in Q3 as opposed to last year's rule of setting one or two laps in Q3 to preserve the tyres for the race.

Great.  So they can't make up their minds on the rules.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the AI pay no penalty at all with their tires from Q to the race.  I've never seen one of them have to pit before the predicted time.  And it makes no sense to me at all that racers wouldn't be allowed to start a race with fresh tires.  They go to many lengths and extremes to keep the cars somewhat equal in all respects, then you have to start on worn tires?  How is that fair?  Just saying...

Scrench said:
Great.  So they can't make up their minds on the rules.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the AI pay no penalty at all with their tires from Q to the race.  I've never seen one of them have to pit before the predicted time.  And it makes no sense to me at all that racers wouldn't be allowed to start a race with fresh tires.  They go to many lengths and extremes to keep the cars somewhat equal in all respects, then you have to start on worn tires?  How is that fair?  Just saying...
that is one of 2013's downfalls I'm afraid nothing we can really do about the AI. All we can do is hope 2014 plays fairer I suspect it will do given tyres aren't so much an issue this year.

Scrench said:
Have you tried turning Tyre wear off? there is the option too, and maybe play on amateur AI as well until you get better at the game...

Scrench said:
Have you tried turning Tyre wear off? there is the option too, and maybe play on amateur AI as well until you get better at the game...
Unfortunately you can't in 2013. The best you can do is turn rules and Parc ferme off and drive like Maldonado in order to try to win on the thing at least that's the only way I've found so far to be competitive.