Sign in to follow this  

R&D Progression for McLaren Honda engine

Question

Is the game meant to facilitate the Honda engine becoming competitive with the field? I am currently pumping every resource point in to engine performance and can see that at the end of season 1 that I won't even get close to the 2016 Ferrari engine that Sauber run. Now that is fine but in season 2 will the R&D tree reset allowing another set of development? Also can Codemasters consider having some realistic "break through" moments for teams that really suck in certain areas; ie the team finds the dev path that leads to a significant gain in a short time to allow them to move up the order? I don't know how I will ever get the Mclaren on the podium with the linear development path that an otherwise very good career mode has.

Spoiler, you won't, I'm currently in season 3 with McLaren and, having done all the minor upgrades to the engine I'm still behind the Sauber, in  my opinion, the R and D is relatively ineffective and feels like a farce made to look like it works, when in reality it does nothing, I may be wrong about this but it would be great to see something from codi8es clarifying that it is indeed possible to take a McLaren to the front etc, wether this is done by a change to RP requirements per team e.g. McLaren needs 500 pts for a minor where as Mercedes needs 1500 pts, just an idea. Either way, hopefully, some change is implemented as the RnD seems to be a bit of a waste of time.

I think it does something, but you can't turn McLaren into Mercedes with it. You are supposed to jump between teams. It is possible to overtake teams though. As Sauber I overtook McLaren after enough chassis- and aerodynamics development.

I'm getting closer to the end of my 1st season with McLaren, i did mostly engine upgrades and allthough i'm still the slowest on the straights, i can now keep the Saubers behind me (first part of the season i didn't stand a chance) and i'm able to follow the pace of the midfield in the first 10/12 laps.

So the progression is definetily there, it just goes really slow :)

Yes of course i understand everyones wish to take McLaren back to the top, but for me personally i just want to be able to fight for regular points finishes. That would be awesome already. :)

Hello all, we've done some investigation in to this and found a bug superficially with McLaren engine upgrades. In the short term you might be better putting your R&D in to other areas so you get some gain.

We're working on a fix and we'll try to get it out as quickly as we can.

Thnx F1Support. Does this confirm it is possible to take every team to the top? Especially McLaren and Sauber. Currently on the 13th race in season 1 with McLaren. 

F1Support said:
Hello all, we've done some investigation in to this and found a bug superficially with McLaren engine upgrades. In the short term you might be better putting your R&D in to other areas so you get some gain.

Thanks for this update. I reported this issue in another thread and thought I was going crazy! Had updated all but 2 of the "engine power" upgrades, including a Major one, and haven't noticed a single improvement in engine performance, straight line speed, etc. Alonso, my teammate, still struggling to qualify 17th in season 2. In F1 2016, you would immediately notice the difference with just one engine upgrade.

Thanks for getting issues like this fixed. :)

I have a question. I am near the end of season 1 and I only have bought 6 engine upgrades and no other ones. 

So when this is patched, will I get the power that I should have? Or will my power only be improved after I buy further upgrades?

If I only receive more power from this point onwards, it would be a real shame as I will have wasted a whole season of resource points and I will have no chance to rebuy the upgrades, so I cannot maximise the power.

Just blame honda even their game engines dont work lol

Does this mean we can get merc like performance eventually then or will the mercedes be able to upgrade so really we never really close the gap?

F1Support said:

Thanks for the update! Really hope the fix works retroactively in career. 

F1Support said:

Really? Just my luck...

Well this is annoying..... I have only put upgrades on the engine. I have basically been running with a stock McLaren for an entire season. :s  

s00zster said:
F1Support said:

Thanks for this update. I reported this issue in another thread and thought I was going crazy! Had updated all but 2 of the "engine power" upgrades, including a Major one, and haven't noticed a single improvement in engine performance, straight line speed, etc. Alonso, my teammate, still struggling to qualify 17th in season 2. In F1 2016, you would immediately notice the difference with just one engine upgrade.

Thanks for getting issues like this fixed. :)
Really, I've only done engine upgrades and I'm at Brazil now. Codemasters trolling Honda, well I guess it's realistic :joy: I hope this is fixed fast and applied to current unlocked upgrades.

I have a question. I am near the end of season 1 and I only have bought 6 engine upgrades and no other ones. 

So when this is patched, will I get the power that I should have? Or will my power only be improved after I buy further upgrades?

If I only receive more power from this point onwards, it would be a real shame as I will have wasted a whole season of resource points and I will have no chance to rebuy the upgrades, so I cannot maximise the power.

Wish there could be an answer to this, otherwise A LOT of people that started with McLaren will end up frustrated after spending so many hours trying to improve the engine...

Cool, this will be the 3rd time my career season will be in the dumpster because of game breaking bugs. I don't think I even will want to start over again when this is fixed. Congrats codemasters, you got my $60 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nxWId3sHQ
Skip to 3:00 and watch ... laugh... and cry if you're a diehard mclaren fan

no amount of magic will make the honda engine not suck.

This is a very important question! Devs? 

Also, will the bug fix also make the factory better? Every. Single. Update. from the McLaren factory fails the first time for me. In other words: I have to spend twice as much "points" than the actual cost for each update.

Will the honda beable to catch up with the other engines in game then.
The game needs some sort if diminishing returns aspect other wise its 2016 all over again but worse since on that game upgrades worked better for the smaller teams.
Think aero upgrades last year big teams costed more and had less improvement than manors cheaper aero path.

I hope Codemasters will explain to us the way R & D works in F1 2017. There are a lot of questions in different threads. The one about diminishing returns is one of the most interesting questions. So codemasters please explain what van expect of we play careermode. Then people van decide for themselves if it is worth it to invest time in playing careermode.

Just blame honda even their game engines dont work lol
That's awesome. I guess CM got it right for Honda! maybe F1 2018 will allow you to change engine suppliers at the end of a season.