Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

Glad you enjoyed them, I'm new to making videos, didn't do them to get X amount of views as I couldn't care less. Just made them for you guys to hopefully enjoy, shame I don't have fibre broadband as I'd love to upload them at my native 1440p resolution and highest bitrate.

I have fixed the problems I was having. Before I struggled to get a consistent 60fps, and didn't know why as it was only using 60% of my GPU even with Vsync off. So late last night I decided to delete the game profile in the Nvidia driver. That fixed it and it's now using my 980 properly, with a single car on track and using a higher AA setting I'm now getting over 100fps. I then tested with 36 cars on track I think and was still getting well over 60fps.
This makes me think it was using my GPU as if it was my previous card (gtx 780) I wonder if I do that with other games if it'll do the same. Pcars might just be a special case, but there's no harm in trying.

Preparing myself for a lap around Nordschleife using the Formula A car in a sec. I did record a lap earlier, but I literally span on the final corner (which is the easiest corner, so decided to not upload it. I forget the tracks name but a few years back (the track had a different name) I held the 7th quickest time, and couldn't for the life of me work out how, as other tracks I was way down the order, so I might post a time on that first.

Yeah, thanks a whole heck of a lot @Hughesy. Because of you & your bloomin' Project CARS videos, I've been eye-balling specs on components to build a budget gaming PC.  :o

Of course the graphics in Project CARS look good, but that's not what impresses me the most - it's the variety of game modes in Project CARS that makes the game look very accessible & fun to me...

...Not everybody plays racing games the same way: some like quick hot-lap sessions, some like to follow an involved career/story path, some like long endurance sessions, some prefer online multiplayer, and some like to bounce around between modes depending on their mood...

...The fact that Project CARS accommodates all these play-styles, with everything open & unlocked from the beginning (no grinding to unlock), looks to add a lot of value & longevity to the game.

Plus, I would probably fall deep down the tuning rabbit-hole.

See what you've started @Hughesy? I hope you're satisfied with yourself. 
>:) 

Hmm that track I was on about was Watkins Glen, so far I've managed 24th in the world, thaf was after just a few laps so I could get higher. Also that's without using a special tuning setup. Anyway now to try and do a clean lap around Nordschleife. @Operator1 What country do you live in? You aren't the first person that wants to build a gaming PC because of me, somehow I draw people over to the dark side o:)

Well I gave myself a target of 6 minutes, and look at this :) That was some 20 seconds faster than this morning so not bad, and I was taking it easy through several corners for the perpose of the recording which I'm uploading now.

Here it is, my lap of Nordschleife with Formula A. Even though it has high downforce, it's one of the harder cars to control due to the bumps on the track. Enjoy :)

http://youtu.be/RliTM4e0OcA

Hughesy said:
...@Operator1 What country do you live in? You aren't the first person that wants to build a gaming PC because of me, somehow I draw people over to the dark side o:)
@Hughesy :

I live in the US, not far from the Circuit of the Americas.

I've assembled plenty of PCs from selected components, but mostly for work/business & home use. It's been many years since I built a PC for gaming.

What's your opinion on the stability & reliability of Project CARS so far? I know it's pre-release & still evolving, but how solidly has the software performed so far in regards to things like lock-ups/freezes/crashes-to-desktop, graphical stuttering, file management/corruption, memory management, incompatibilities with hardware drivers & operating system processes, online security, exploits/cheats/hacks, etc.?

...In other words: have you seen any indications in the pre-release version of Project CARS that might be cause for concern about major issues/defects at launch?

Operator1 said:

Hughesy said:
...@Operator1 What country do you live in? You aren't the first person that wants to build a gaming PC because of me, somehow I draw people over to the dark side o:)
@Hughesy :

I've assembled plenty of PCs from selected components, but mostly for work/business & home use. It's been many years since I built a PC for gaming.

What's your opinion on the stability & reliability of Project CARS so far? I know it's pre-release & still evolving, but how solidly has the software performed so far in regards to things like lock-ups/freezes/crashes-to-desktop, graphical stuttering, file management/corruption, memory management, incompatibilities with hardware drivers & operating system processes, online security, exploits/cheats/hacks, etc.?

...In other words: have you seen any indications in the pre-release version of Project CARS that might be cause for concern about major issues/defects at launch?

Well it's been a surprisingly  stable game. I've used three different GPUs throughout development, 670, 780 and now 980. There have been a few crashes but very rare. I've really learnt that people are far too quick to blame games when there's a problem, just because another game works fine.

Just a few days back I was having major problems, it would on use 60% of my GPU even without using Vsync. Once I deleted the game profile in the Nvidia driver it started working properly. I think it's working very well. Even maxed out at a really high res (2560x1440) and 30+ cars on track it doesn't use more than 2GB of Vram, which is amazing considering the graphics and texture quality.

Obviously it uses the CPU heavily due to it being a sim (CPU is the brains, GPU is the muscle) so you'd want a good quadcore cpu atleast I'd say.

Hughesy said:
Operator1 said:

Hughesy said:
@Hughesy :

Well it's been a surprisingly  stable game. I've used three different GPUs throughout development, 670, 780 and now 980. There have been a few crashes but very rare. I've really learnt that people are far too quick to blame games when there's a problem, just because another game works fine.

Just a few days back I was having major problems, it would on use 60% of my GPU even without using Vsync. Once I deleted the game profile in the Nvidia driver it started working properly. I think it's working very well. Even maxed out at a really high res (2560x1440) and 30+ cars on track it doesn't use more than 2GB of Vram, which is amazing considering the graphics and texture quality.

Obviously it uses the CPU heavily due to it being a sim (CPU is the brains, GPU is the muscle) so you'd want a good quadcore cpu atleast I'd say.
Agreed but a good quadcore processor should be standard for most modern day games anyway so it shouldn't be to bad but you have the experience here with the game. I was just saying it sounds like that's the standard for most modern games atm.

Hughesy said:
Operator1 said:

Hughesy said:
@Hughesy :

Thanks for the info @Hughesy. I didn't want to start work on building a budget gaming PC for Project CARS if the game wasn't shaping up well. Sounds like it's a safe bet - especially with additional free cars coming after launch.

No worries. It's such good fun, it's not so hard to do a clean lap, but once you start pushing it becomes harder and so rewarding. A lot of people seem to think sim=very hard to drive, but anyone who drives in real life knows it's not the case, it only becomes that when you push the limits. A lot of cars aren't hard to drive fast in real life, the difference is having the balls to actually do it, whereas in a game there's no chance of killing yourself, and no gforces to contend with. :)

Ok that sucks balls, with the latest build all saved games are deleted :( Started a new career with Formula Rookie this morning, soo have to start again.

Hughesy said:
Ok that sucks balls, with the latest build all saved games are deleted :( Started a new career with Formula Rookie this morning, soo have to start again.
well hopefully we're clo0se now maybe this is the final build.

And now I'm having that problem with it not using my GPU properly. Just trying all the things I tried before.

Nothing seems to help.... Getting slightly annoyed now after I got it working better than it ever had before. Also I've been awake for 30+ hours now so maybe shouldn't be doing this (I'm suffering from insomnia at the moment, happens every now and again due to my condition)

yea been suffering a little with insomnia of late myself that's why I'm thinking of going back to my sports games in particular motor racing as they do tire me out more than games like ME/DA

yea been suffering a little with insomnia of late myself that's why I'm thinking of going back to my sports games in particular motor racing as they do tire me out more than games like ME/DA
Think I've actually been up for closer to 40 hours now :s My head is pounding, not helped with the current problem with Pcars.
I've actually braved it and posted on the private forum to see if anyone can help. I just don't get it, when not using Vsync it should be pushing the GPU fully and fps. Like it will be 100fps and then suddenly usage will drop and with it the frame rate which goes below 60fps with just a single car on track.

Really want to fix it, as like you said playing a racing game can tire you out, especially when using a ffb wheel like I do.

Hmm So it's linked to detailed grass being enabled. Doesn't make sense to me still though, but it causes GPU usage to go down... Not really huge, but having flat grass areas is like going back to 2000. When racing you aren't focussed on it, but I hope they fix it as it does add to the beauty. I've seen console builds have detailed grass so I hope it's not going to be left like this for PC. Little things like this are why they delayed the game, and also because of the new consoles. If they were only working on a PC version, it would've came out last year.

Ok so I just figured out something about career mode which is rather annoying. I select the hardest ai, but I'm nearly a second a lap quicker, and as far as I can work out the ai get quicker the further you progress in career mode. This is really annoying as I love racing Formula Rookie, and I'm into the euro league, but these races are boring due to me being so fast.

I don't understand why they've done this, what's the point having the ai set to 100% but not get to race them until a lot later. I'm pretty sure this is going to annoy the quick drivers like @RevolvingPrawn out there. I think I've done 6 or 7 races now, the only way to make it exciting is to not do qualifying. The ai is awesome to race against in quick race, although for some I think the ai will still be too slow. I think they need an option to go upto 120% or something.

Hughesy said:
Ok so I just figured out something about career mode which is rather annoying. I select the hardest ai, but I'm nearly a second a lap quicker, and as far as I can work out the ai get quicker the further you progress in career mode. This is really annoying as I love racing Formula Rookie, and I'm into the euro league, but these races are boring due to me being so fast.

I don't understand why they've done this, what's the point having the ai set to 100% but not get to race them until a lot later. I'm pretty sure this is going to annoy the quick drivers like @RevolvingPrawn out there. I think I've done 6 or 7 races now, the only way to make it exciting is to not do qualifying. The ai is awesome to race against in quick race, although for some I think the ai will still be too slow. I think they need an option to go upto 120% or something.
maybe they'll add one. On the other hand that sounds good for me given I'm not the quickest of drivers and I know I'm slower than the 2 of you and it's likely that when the game finally does get unleashed on us that that's going to be an area I'll likely be spending a lot of time in.

My point is you can select how fast you want the ai upto 100%, but in career 100% isn't 100% until a lot later on. So the slower formulas are pointless really. Say you only set it to 50%, the ai will only be racing at 20-30% to start with. It's a horrible system no matter how fast or slow you are, it's going to turn a lot of people off the game. I might post in the private forum later and see if I can get a firm answer, as this is really stupid...

Hughesy said:
My point is you can select how fast you want the ai upto 100%, but in career 100% isn't 100% until a lot later on. So the slower formulas are pointless really. Say you only set it to 50%, the ai will only be racing at 20-30% to start with. It's a horrible system no matter how fast or slow you are, it's going to turn a lot of people off the game. I might post in the private forum later and see if I can get a firm answer, as this is really stupid...
ah right maybe there is a bug in the system somewhere or maybe they just want people to use the early part of the career mode to learn and adjust to it by making it a little easier to start off with. I don't know I'm just speculating on why. You're the expert on the game around here we're relying on you for the answers. :p

Yea but that makes most of the races pointless, and the lower formulas boring. I hope it doesn't stay like this, as the lower formulas are great fun to drive. Anyway I'll try and find out later.

Edit: Just asked the question on the private forum, I'll let you know what is said.

Ok, got my answer and I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm not happy with it. Here's screenshots as I can't be bothered to type it out. I'm not the only one that doesn't like it, and when the game comes out, it's going to get a lot of criticism. In that first screenshot the person asking the question wants the same as me, for an option to turn it off, so the ai are set what we want it to be.

Hughesy said:
Ok, got my answer and I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm not happy with it. Here's screenshots as I can't be bothered to type it out. I'm not the only one that doesn't like it, and when the game comes out, it's going to get a lot of criticism. In that first screenshot the person asking the question wants the same as me, for an option to turn it off, so the ai are set what we want it to be.

Judging by this it looks like my instincts were right then. They want the lower tiers to be easier to make it easier to adapt to the game. Fair enough I suppose. I do agree with you though @Hughesy as people can turn things down a bit if they're finding things too hard. I know I'll probably have things turned pretty low until I get used to the game anyway no matter what happens and I'll adjust accordingly when I need to.