Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

Nope it's not that at all bud. They are slower because in real life lower tiers aren't all world champions, but in a game it doesn't make sense. Believe me when I say this, when the game comes out forums will be flooded with people moaning about it. On the private forum it's already a huge issue for many, it can't be hard to have an option to enable/disable it. I have more fun racing the lower tiers, so having the ai like this completly ruins it for me. The problem is as I've said before, the devs don't like criticism, and even though it's meant to be a "community develeoped game" they often don't listen to people. 

And hay presto, dev being a tad agressive and not taking onboard  criticism and going on the offensive..... You can see why I don't post there anymore...

3-4 seconds in a 1:30 lap is huge. Gotta agree with @Hughesy on this one. I don't want the AI to be dumbed down when I set them at a certain difficulty, I want them to be at the actual difficulty I set them at. It'd be like playing Codemasters F1 games and say at the start of career mode AI were at expert despite setting them at legend and the further the season went in they eventually changed to legend, then the devs saying they did it because drivers might be rusty and slower at the start of the season compared to the end of the season.

3-4 seconds in a 1:30 lap is huge. Gotta agree with @Hughesy on this one. I don't want the AI to be dumbed down when I set them at a certain difficulty, I want them to be at the actual difficulty I set them at. It'd be like playing Codemasters F1 games and say at the start of career mode AI were at expert despite setting them at legend and the further the season went in they eventually changed to legend, then the devs saying they did it because drivers might be rusty and slower at the start of the season compared to the end of the season.
Yeah I do agree on this as well as I said in my earlier post that's what the sliders and options are for so people can adjust things just as they want. I can understand there reasoning behind it as well but that's how it is I guess. Maybe they'll re-examine the decision before the game comes out but then again that would mean another delay to put up with. Hopefully they can get this thing out soon though as all these delays are starting to get ridiculous.

I've tried to push the issue, but I'm not hopeful they will listen. This is going to anger a lot of people. Seriously how hard can it be to give us the option to disable it. Although I kinda understand the thinking behind it, when I've watched these lower tier races in real life, the racing is often very close. There's a few of us trying to change the devs mind, but I won't push too far as I know they hate anything negitive. Still atleast when the game is out I won't have to worry about it, as many people will post about it.

It'll still be a great sim to race online, but this one thing lets the game down a lot. What's the point having a slider going from 0-100% if they aren't actually what you set it at.

Hughesy said:
I've tried to push the issue, but I'm not hopeful they will listen. This is going to anger a lot of people. Seriously how hard can it be to give us the option to disable it. Although I kinda understand the thinking behind it, when I've watched these lower tier races in real life, the racing is often very close. There's a few of us trying to change the devs mind, but I won't push too far as I know they hate anything negitive. Still atleast when the game is out I won't have to worry about it, as many people will post about it.

It'll still be a great sim to race online, but this one thing lets the game down a lot. What's the point having a slider going from 0-100% if they aren't actually what you set it at.
I suppose it comes down to how much the average player will notice though as well. Those that are not following the games development may not even know about this or even notice it while playing. Let's hope you're listened too though.

@RevolvingPrawn This proves my point. This is the world championship for formula rookie, which is the highest in this class (British champ,Euro champ,World Champ) and if you watch the video you'll see my problem. This is with ai set to 100% but they aren't actually racing at that, seems that only happens when you get to F1/Formula A. How can they think this is a good idea.

You might want to watch it on YouTube for the 720p version.

http://youtu.be/K-bnrxNOcKo

So, having played Driveclub for a few weeks now, I think I can safely (but begrudgingly) say I'm still picking up pCARS. DC is fun, but just too arcade-y for me. Half the cars drift the corners and the end result is a faster lap time than if I were to nail the apex...

That being said, bring on May, fingers are crossed the game releases.

Might do another Pcars video today. Think I'll use a car I haven't used in a video before.

Just a short one. Watch on YouTube if you want to watch it at 720p, as for me anyway it doesn't let me change res on here. Didn't realise I had MSI Afterburner onscreen, so sorry about that.
http://youtu.be/_THH0YXuV74

PC players fund the game, and come second to consoles, this is what I feared was happening. Before the game was being made for the new consoles, each build gave huge improvements. Also some things I've noticed for the last few months, some of the graphics have got worse, the main area being trees. They look bloody awful compared to what they once were. There's many 2D sprites, or like two parts slotted together. Ages ago the trees were fully 3D rendered.

Hughesy said:
PC players fund the game, and come second to consoles, this is what I feared was happening. Before the game was being made for the new consoles, each build gave huge improvements. Also some things I've noticed for the last few months, some of the graphics have got worse, the main area being trees. They look bloody awful compared to what they once were. There's many 2D sprites, or like two parts slotted together. Ages ago the trees were fully 3D rendered.

I'll take your word for it @Hughesy but based on your vids the game still looks pretty damn good though compared to racing games we have at the moment.

The graphics are good for a sim (campared to Rfactor or Race 07) but even at 2560x1440p it doesn't even use 2GB of Vram. The trees is just one thing, the other is the grass. I can't use it at the moment as it causes my GPU usage to go down and frame rate with it. But even when enabled it's not very dense, compare it to Grid Autosport and it looks awful. Autosport has the best looking grass Ive seen in a racing game.

Going back to the trees, around a year ago they used to move in the wind, and all of them were 3D models. Now they don't and aren't 3D. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow and show you, they really stand out even while racing, reminds me of the trees in GT6. Some tracks look worse than others. Also there were leaves blown on track that would get kicked up by cars, and now there doesn't seem to be any.

The cars and lighting are amazing, but track detail aren't that great. If the screenshots from F1 2015 are real, that could really outshine Pcars and put Codemasters back at the top in terms of graphics. I remember when the first Dirt and Grid games came out, they blew my mind, so I think F1 will look awesome. 

Personally, I hope to be going too fast to notice the trees. That being said, nothing can be worse than GT6 and their terrible alpha blending with smoke and rain. I would imagine pCARS is better than that so I'm not too concerned. Gress and trees look pretty good in the trailer below (apparently for the PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctAXOaHTykg

EDIT: here's a gameplay video from late March. The trees and grass don't look amazing, but they still look entirely fine for a racing game. I would rather that memory and processing power go to the cars/tracks/physics anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKyKwCzZPk

@Hughesy : Yeah, I'd be irritated too if I was a backer on the PC side & saw support going elsewhere.

You're obviously more involved than I am, and I don't have access to their pre-release forum like you do, but the posts you screen-captured there sound to me like they're currently just rushing to wrap up the console builds to ship off to the console makers - and then possibly shifting back to polishing the PC build more during the window between sending off the console builds & the multi-platform launch. But you're certainly more in-the-loop than I am on this & maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Hughesy said:
...Autosport has the best looking grass Ive seen in a racing game... 

I didn't buy it for the grass. ;) ...With Grid AutoSport's other problems, I wouldn't call the game a success for its grass. :pensive: 

As long as pCARS functionally works (without significant game-impacting issues) at launch & delivers the features they've said it will, what I've seen of it looks plenty good. But I might be in the minority since graphics don't matter to me nearly as much as game-play & quality.

I heard that one of the reasons for the continued delays was "optimisation" on certain hardware types.

If they are going to achieve locked 60fps @ 1080p on all platforms then they are going to achieve something that a lot of others have struggled with. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-15-project-cars-technical-details-confirmed

tech specs confirmed.

Oh yeah, 60fps @ 900p on XB1 cf. 60fps @ 1080p on PS4.

dirt3joe said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-15-project-cars-technical-details-confirmed

tech specs confirmed.

Oh yeah, 60fps @ 900p on XB1 cf. 60fps @ 1080p on PS4.
Indeed fortunately I don't think it'll be too much longer before this is released to us though as it's starting to sound like they've started to sound like they've settled now on how they're going to deliver this based on this and the forum posts @Hughesy posted up on the last 2 pages. It certainly looks like that May is going to be the month we finally see this beast of a game.

lol :smile: 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-16-project-cars-gets-a-new-final-release-date

8th May. 16th April to 8th May feels like an awfully short announcement to release time. Maybe it was prompted by something ?

Probably a bit of swearing in the office this morning.

dirt3joe said:
lol :smile: 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-16-project-cars-gets-a-new-final-release-date

8th May. 16th April to 8th May feels like an awfully short announcement to release time. Maybe it was prompted by something ?

Probably a bit of swearing in the office this morning.

Not really as Shopto sent me an advertising email about 2 days ago and Amazon were saying on their site were saying 8th/15th May as well recently too.  I'd say that's a good release time for me as it's around my birthday given my birthday's the 10th. Might mean I can get someone to pay for it and give it to me as a birthday present. Perfect timing really assuming it stays at that date this time. I have ordered it from Amazon anyway plus I get some free DLC codes if I buy it from them as well which was kind of why I chose to get it from them. As I said above in my last post I had a feeling based on what was in @Hughesy's posts and the article you posted up that they were nearing completion of this project.

I don't know whether @Hughesy wants to add anything to this as he knows more about these things than I but I'll leave that to him.

Edit just got an e-mail from Amazon confirming May 8th as the release date.

Sadly for me this is looking poor on console.

Couple of weeks ago I got an XB1, mainly because of FH2 and this. I beginning to regret my decision. I think that Pcars is just too ambitious for console, and that a better choice would have been a gaming PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-project-cars-performance-analysis

dirt3joe said:
Sadly for me this is looking poor on console.

Couple of weeks ago I got an XB1, mainly because of FH2 and this. I beginning to regret my decision. I think that Pcars is just too ambitious for console, and that a better choice would have been a gaming PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-project-cars-performance-analysis

I thnk it is a bit unfair to analyse game's performance on a build from February... Apparently, the developer is rather unhappy about DF being allowed to perform this analysis so early on - Namco Bandai allowed too much bearing in mind the unfinished development.

I'd probably reserve judgement until the game gets analysed post-release, but I would not be surprised if it struggles for frame rate with 40+ cars on track, damage, rain and fancy graphics.

@dirt3joe you should consider getting a gaming PC regardless :)