Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

dirt3joe said:
Sadly for me this is looking poor on console.

Couple of weeks ago I got an XB1, mainly because of FH2 and this. I beginning to regret my decision. I think that Pcars is just too ambitious for console, and that a better choice would have been a gaming PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-project-cars-performance-analysis

I thnk it is a bit unfair to analyse game's performance on a build from February... Apparently, the developer is rather unhappy about DF being allowed to perform this analysis so early on - Namco Bandai allowed too much bearing in mind the unfinished development.

I'd probably reserve judgement until the game gets analysed post-release, but I would not be surprised if it struggles for frame rate with 40+ cars on track, damage, rain and fancy graphics.

@dirt3joe you should consider getting a gaming PC regardless :)
I struggle to see why they feel the need to have 40+ cars on track in the first place.

To be fair, I am not too worried about the game in the respect that normally tt is my mode, so this is one of the less demanding modes and will probably achieve good performance on XB1.

I struggle to see why on earth anyone would give an unoptimised pre-release version of a game to a reviewer less than a month before actual release and expect them not to review it ?

Were they supposed to use the DVD as a coffee coaster or something ?

dirt3joe said:
I struggle to see why they feel the need to have 40+ cars on track in the first place.

To be fair, I am not too worried about the game in the respect that normally tt is my mode, so this is one of the less demanding modes and will probably achieve good performance on XB1.

I struggle to see why on earth anyone would give an unoptimised pre-release version of a game to a reviewer less than a month before actual release and expect them not to review it ?

Were they supposed to use the DVD as a coffee coaster or something ?

If there's one reviewer you shouldn't give an unfinished build to, it is the Digital Foundry, as they will analyse every single pixel...

I wasn't that excited about this game overall, but after seeing the extensive track list, career mode features and some positive comments I do look forward to its release next month. I think I even pre-ordered a special boxed edition in November last year... ;]

They did this because they didn't want to water it down, console players would've moaned otherwise. The results aren't great, but the average player won't notice too much. I have done maybe two races with that many cars, it's not something you will do every race. Career races have a lot less cars on track, although multi class will have more (I'm yet to do them) I say good on them, letting the player choose how they want to play the game. GT6 has a horrible framerate, but was still enjoyable. Forza is very flat as they want a rock solid 60fps, but the actual gameplay suffers. 

You don't make sense though Joe, you say you bought Xbox One to play Horizon 2? Well that is only running at 30fps, so what's the problem? I'm not having a go as I know framerates fluctuating is annoying, but these were very specific stress tests, it won't be as bad as that while playing yourself. ;)

Maybe they could add an option for a locked 30fps, for people who can't deal with it and want to race every race with that many cars.

Have to agree with @Hughesy here this is a PC centered game not really one built around consoles to be fair. However for the console because generally they have less processing power and memory available to them those things will have to be watered down otherwise you get results like this. They just wanted to show the games potential of what it could be even though the consoles are struggling with it somewhat. |That's why in games for the consoles and things aer slightly weaker fror the console because they can't quite handle it.

Hughesy said:
They did this because they didn't want to water it down, console players would've moaned otherwise. The results aren't great, but the average player won't notice too much. I have done maybe two races with that many cars, it's not something you will do every race. Career races have a lot less cars on track, although multi class will have more (I'm yet to do them) I say good on them, letting the player choose how they want to play the game. GT6 has a horrible framerate, but was still enjoyable. Forza is very flat as they want a rock solid 60fps, but the actual gameplay suffers. 

You don't make sense though Joe, you say you bought Xbox One to play Horizon 2? Well that is only running at 30fps, so what's the problem? I'm not having a go as I know framerates fluctuating is annoying, but these were very specific stress tests, it won't be as bad as that while playing yourself. ;)

Maybe they could add an option for a locked 30fps, for people who can't deal with it and want to race every race with that many cars.
It's a valid point. I don't have too many issues with Horizon. It looks great at 30fps.

I guess what annoys me a bit more is that Project Cars has always been hailed as this amazing game, that's going to achieve wonders whereas the reality is somewhat different.

Have a read of this for example -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-28-project-cars-shooting-for-1080p-60fps-on-both-xbox-one-and-ps4

TBH I really don't know whether I will detect the 60fps or not. Maybe on track racing I will. Tearing is something I do detect and would/will be disappointed with. I think I would prefer 30fps locked than variable. However recent articles indicate the game might not even make that at 900p on XB1.

I think (and hope) that Pcars will be a great game. It certainly looks that way on PC and I hope they manage to bump up the console performance somewhat over what I'm currently expecting.

Have to say though I'm looking forward to my birthday now after hearing the may release date I just hope it doesn't get another cancellation.

Eurogamer.net's update to their previous analysis of pCars...

"UPDATE: It's come to our attention that the build of Project Cars used as the basis for this article was not intended by the developer Slightly Mad Studios for technical analysis. We weren't aware of this, which was the unfortunate result of some miscommunication on our part with the game's publisher. It was an honest mistake and it is not our intention to misrepresent the game, so we've unpublished the videos that form the basis of the article.

We'll be able to bring you a full analysis of a more advanced build of the game in the coming weeks.

We'd like to apologise to our readers and to Slightly Mad Studios for this unintentional misrepresentation."

Just wait for the final version everyone...not much longer now.

KCSmoke said:
Also...sjsharp2010...I can't wait for your birthday.
Indeed neither can I as mum's going to pay for my copy as my birthday present almost like someone somewhere had it all planned :D I just hope it doesn't end up with any last minute screw ups. Looking forward to starting racing on it

softy94 said:
hopefully its awesome
It is awesome :) On a side note, I've just had an 11GB patch download for it. Haven't looked at the notes yet but I will later.

Also some big news on the private forum. 

-----------------
A very short update for now as I'm jet-lagged to hell and back but the good news is that we will be continuing the WMD setup for pCARS2. 

We will open new forum sections when the game (pCARS1) ships to support the new users and you WMD experts will all have access and we'd greatly appreciate your assistance advising new users.

I'll be implementing a new non-profit return form of WMD for pCARS2 (to avoid the FSA hassle) and will set a purchase time limit of 2-3 months for those who want to take part. Following this, involvement will be closed. The tiers won't have the higher cost options that we currently have (probably capped at 100 pounds with excellent benefits) and those who want to approach me personally to invest in the new game can do so providing it's at or above 50k. 

I planned to release the above information with a new web page explaining the details of each purchase tier but we're insanely busy and haven't found the time. I'm aware though that I promised an update so here it is.

In short, we want to continue and extend the community involvement in the pCARS brand which has proven to be so very effective and we want to ensure this great community lives on and thrives into the future.

-------------

I think I might pick up PCars as it has possibilities to provide some good league racing.

Hughesy said:
softy94 said:
hopefully its awesome
It is awesome :) On a side note, I've just had an 11GB patch download for it. Haven't looked at the notes yet but I will later.

Also some big news on the private forum. 

-----------------
A very short update for now as I'm jet-lagged to hell and back but the good news is that we will be continuing the WMD setup for pCARS2. 

We will open new forum sections when the game (pCARS1) ships to support the new users and you WMD experts will all have access and we'd greatly appreciate your assistance advising new users.

I'll be implementing a new non-profit return form of WMD for pCARS2 (to avoid the FSA hassle) and will set a purchase time limit of 2-3 months for those who want to take part. Following this, involvement will be closed. The tiers won't have the higher cost options that we currently have (probably capped at 100 pounds with excellent benefits) and those who want to approach me personally to invest in the new game can do so providing it's at or above 50k. 

I planned to release the above information with a new web page explaining the details of each purchase tier but we're insanely busy and haven't found the time. I'm aware though that I promised an update so here it is.

In short, we want to continue and extend the community involvement in the pCARS brand which has proven to be so very effective and we want to ensure this great community lives on and thrives into the future.

-------------
Yeah it all sounds and looks pretty good only a couple of weeks to go

I aint been this excited about a racing game since nigel mansells world championship racing game on the super nes 1993 :-)  mind you I was quite excited about the teenage mutant ninja turtles and bart simpson that year too lol

I aint been this excited about a racing game since nigel mansells world championship racing game on the super nes 1993 :-)  mind you I was quite excited about the teenage mutant ninja turtles and bart simpson that year too lol

yeah that was good think I had the Amiga version of the Mansell game or something though as I never had the Snes although my brother had one I think he preferred the console though whereas I preferred a proper computer to game on although I don't think he had that game I do think he had a couple of the Mario games at the time.

It's the only game I've got flagged as one I'm interested atm. I know there's an new ME coming but that's not until next year. Aside from P cars and ME4 right now there aren't really any games that are catching my eye

wow back then an amiga was like a government super computer lol, I remember my dad got one so I got to keep the "vic20" and the "64" but they worked with cassettes and I wanted discs like my dad, floppys lol. my favourite game on the old comps was sensible soccer and I liked kickstart too (motorbike stunt game)

what about battlefront shep? that's got my interest this year along with PC

wow back then an amiga was like a government super computer lol, I remember my dad got one so I got to keep the "vic20" and the "64" but they worked with cassettes and I wanted discs like my dad, floppys lol. my favourite game on the old comps was sensible soccer and I liked kickstart too (motorbike stunt game)

what about battlefront shep? that's got my interest this year along with PC

yeah I had sensible soccer as well my brother was quite good at that I struggled with it so I used to just stick with the manager mode. I heard Battlefrront doesn't have a single player campaign so not sure about that. I think if it had one I'd jump on it as graphically it's looking awesome. |For me though single player experiences are important as I only use those modes that's one of the main reasons why I'm thinking of holding out on F1 2015 as well. Striker was a good football game I used to play and like at the time got quite good at it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZp35bEcScc

But this was back in the day before anyone had ever heard of Fifa and PES though Have to admit I do sometimes miss playing some of those older games My old Amstrad that I had before the Amiga had cassettes 10 minute loading times  I'm just happy that these days we barely have to wait 10 seconds for a game to load at least once it's installed anyway.

Back on topic though P cars is the only thing though that's immediately on my radar right now there may be 1 or 2 other sbut right now I don't think so. Will probably start with the open wheelers till I get used to the handling and do a few laps around tracks I'm familiar with until I get used to the feel of the game before I attempt to start really racing but I'm looking forward to it.

Project CARS so far looks far and away the best game of the ones I am interested in this year, but there are a few things I'm worried about. (Bear in mind I have never played the game so could be completely wrong about some things, this is just from videos I've watched)

1. The relatively small car list. I know a big car list wasn't ever a plan for the game, and the number of different types of car was more the focus, but that exact same thing is one of the main reasons I stayed way clear of GAS last year. I quite like the car list, but feel like there is some missing. Hopefully the DLC they have planned will make up for that. (the track list on the other hand is phenomenal)  

2. AI. From what I have seen from the most recent builds the AI aren't groundbreaking, even on the hardest setting.  They're not too bad at avoiding you although still have a passion for contact, and they vary in terms of speed from track to track or even corner to corner massively. They're very fast into corners and very slow out in most cases. I've seen people capable of comfortably beating the AI on 100% difficulty, and while they were good players it looked as much because the AI were slow rather than purely the player was fast.

Also by the looks of it the AI have the same problem the ones in Codies F1 games have had with simmed times. I've seen a few videos where the AI go considerably faster when the session is skipped/fast forward etc. One video in particular the practice session the AI did a 1:01 as the fastest time of the session (skipped session) then qualy and race the fastest times were 3-4 seconds slower when the player played the session out. And that wasn't just one video. There are others where the same has happened. 

I'm concerned the AI issues will massively spoil what should be a great game for me. The issues are apparent in the most recent build available. Not knowing enough about how final the final builds that people are playing are compared to what SMS have obviously means there is no guarantee these issues are in the final game. Lack of funds mean I can't get an Xone and PCARS until later in the year anyway so if they are in the final game I hope they're ironed out before I can get it

1.  Most sims don't have 100s of cars, as they focus on making each car and class as realistic as possible unlike say Forza and GT which are driving sims not racing. I find myself using the same car for hours, and each car feels completely different including the FFB. There is going to be DLC though every month as has been posted here, you also get a free car each month I think.
  2. The ai are awesome doing normal races, but in career mode they start off really slow which is bloody annoying me. I'm hoping the add an option to turn the crappy scaling off, as it makes the lower formulas pointless. The lower tier open wheel cars are awesome to drive, but in career it's boring due to what I just said.  :)

Hughesy said:
  1.  Most sims don't have 100s of cars, as they focus on making each car and class as realistic as possible unlike say Forza and GT which are driving sims not racing. I find myself using the same car for hours, and each car feels completely different including the FFB. There is going to be DLC though every month as has been posted here, you also get a free car each month I think.
  2. The ai are awesome doing normal races, but in career mode they start off really slow which is bloody annoying me. I'm hoping the add an option to turn the crappy scaling off, as it makes the lower formulas pointless. The lower tier open wheel cars are awesome to drive, but in career it's boring due to what I just said.  :)
I know what its aimed at being and why there aren't a massive amount of cars, but with it being started like 5 years ago its still a little disappointing. As I said though the range of car types is fantastic, and the DLC should make that even better.

I'm glad there is a reason that the AI seem a little easy in career mode. In a way I quite like the idea of it getting more difficult as career goes on, although in reality I didn't like it on Forza 4. It was confusing me why I was watching some races in career where the player would win by miles, some in career where they would struggle and others in different game modes where they would be miles behind on the same car/track combo running similar times. 

I'm still worried about the lap time simming problems though with the AI

APR193 said:
Hughesy said:
I know what its aimed at being and why there aren't a massive amount of cars, but with it being started like 5 years ago its still a little disappointing. As I said though the range of car types is fantastic, and the DLC should make that even better.

I'm glad there is a reason that the AI seem a little easy in career mode. In a way I quite like the idea of it getting more difficult as career goes on, although in reality I didn't like it on Forza 4. It was confusing me why I was watching some races in career where the player would win by miles, some in career where they would struggle and others in different game modes where they would be miles behind on the same car/track combo running similar times. 

I'm still worried about the lap time simming problems though with the AI

As am I tbh as it'll make it easier tofind a level that I enjoy racing at although I do hope I can get comfortable and reasonably competitive at a level in all the cars. I can understand what @Hughesy is saying though it should be up to us to adjust it manually if we want to  with an on/off switch for tweaking things how those that play at the top end want things.

I'm not an experienced sim plasyer or the quickest of drivers so it being a little easier in the lower formulas will definitely suit me I think. I can definitely understand @Hughesy's concerns though