Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

Platy said:
Seems like a fun game. Something feels missing from the FFB to me, might just be my wheel though.
There are many settings for FFB in the same part you tune cars. Can make a huge difference to the feel of each car, don't ask me what they all do though :joy: There is a small description of what they do, But I mainly just guessed what they did, and did get some good results. Haven't tweaked them in the release version as I haven't felt the need, but they might help your wheel.

To those who have played Pcars, are there any differences in the Formula A teams or are they all equal?

coolieboy said:
To those who have played Pcars, are there any differences in the Formula A teams or are they all equal?
I think their pretty much equal but not sure as I'm not driving the Formula A's atm My first season was at Formula Rookie level and I'm racing in the Ginetta Junior championship in my next season.

Pcars is probably one of the best games to date for me. I hesitate to really call anything a sim that get released on a console, but I mean I did iRacing for years and the physics feel pretty darn good and the tuning is on par. It lacks the penalty and rank system of iRacing, but it's not meant to be iRacing either. It does allow penalties in the races just not the same strictness as iRacing.

Lukedfrt said:
Had my first go earlier, love it! 
Bloody hard to control though haha
Yeah it's a bit tough at first I felt that too but after a while I figured it out. The key thing to do is make sure you don't push too hard to early and allow your tyres to warm up then it really starts coming to you then

Honestly, it's a bit underwhelming. It's an excellent game and the career mode looks like what every racing game should have but I don't know, I don't find it as good as a lot of people are saying and for me it's down to one thing: The AI is horrific. Everything else is fantastic, but it is let down by the AI which is why I cannot stress enough that AI should always be one of the key focuses before anything else. Hopefully patches will sort it out but at the moment I honestly prefer Forza 5 over it and the AI is bad enough in that.

The AI really do need some work. I got some good advice from @Hughesy on how to deal with them though, treat every car as if Maldonado is driving it and you'll be fine :p Worked for me lol.

Yea like I've been saying for months, the ai is the weakest point. You guys should thank your lucky stars you didn't play against the ai months and years back, you'd think the current ai is the best ever now :joy:  It's not really just the ai though, it's the collision detection, we've had a lot of problems with that, but it has got better. I still prefer crazy ai over what F1 has had, as they didn't fight you at all. For hot lapping and online this game is great. Career is lame as the ai scale, so selecting 100% in the lower formulas isn't actually 100%. We had a long winded response as to why, but many of us pleaded for an option to disable it, but they didn't listen (yea community game) lol

Just done my first race in the Clio Cup. The AI isn't very good, as in they don't seem to drive like a person would. They seem to have a fast-in, slow-out approach to corners; unless things are different higher up. The game also suffers from the simulation bug that the F1 games has, AI makes up random lap times during qualifying if you skip to the end. Its fun though, hopefully they work hard on the AI because it takes a lot of fun out of the game.

Also not being in control in the pits? Pretty lame. Weather looks nice though.

To that last point Platy, they couldn't let us control it in the end as people could crash into the pit crew, which would've meant reclassification. Maybe it'll change, as we did have control at one point. There was a key to override it before release, but I don't think it works now. 

Platy said:
Just done my first race in the Clio Cup. The AI isn't very good, as in they don't seem to drive like a person would. They seem to have a fast-in, slow-out approach to corners; unless things are different higher up. The game also suffers from the simulation bug that the F1 games has, AI makes up random lap times during qualifying if you skip to the end. Its fun though, hopefully they work hard on the AI because it takes a lot of fun out of the game.

Not so sure about that :p This is the ending of a race I did 2 or 3 nights ago, I was flabbergasted by the blatant cheating and the fact that if I'd pulled the same move I'd have been given no chance to recover before flying well off circuit, but also impressed because I didn't think an AI would drive like that lol. Loved how close it was across the line, 0.030.

Though this doesn't happen often, seems like certain track and car combinations give you better AI racing than others do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEG4UH6LJw

Platy said:

Not so sure about that :p This is the ending of a race I did 2 or 3 nights ago, I was flabbergasted by the blatant cheating and the fact that if I'd pulled the same move I'd have been given no chance to recover before flying well off circuit, but also impressed because I didn't think an AI would drive like that lol. Loved how close it was across the line, 0.030.

Though this doesn't happen often, seems like certain track and car combinations give you better AI racing than others do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEG4UH6LJw

Agreed plus with all the various different cars each handling differently too means that every race you do is a different challenge. I haven't played the game today but that's what I've felt about the game so far based on the practice races and first season that I have done. I have enjoyed it and intend on doing more but so far it's been great fun. I've not found too many bugs in it other than sometimes on the replays where al the cars don't take off the same time as you and stay on the grid. So far though that's the only real annoying bug I've found. This only happens sometimes though

Spent some solid hours on it today, still struggling to master the kart aha  :p

Lukedfrt said:
Spent some solid hours on it today, still struggling to master the kart aha  :p
yeah the karts are hard. Gave up on them in the end and decided to start at Formula Rookie level instead. I will come back and have another go eventually as I want to do a career where I go from the bottom to the top for the Zero to Hero part of career. I'll be worrying about that later though