Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

No, by my own words the car behind is the one who has the responsibility to avoid contact, I was ahead going into the corner despite a small stretch where my left wheels were on grass. Therefore the hit through Brundle, the left hander, is the fault of the AI.

Definitely the curb though bud, the contact itself wasn't a problem, and like I said I kinda enjoy it because it makes the AI feel more lifelike and that's never a bad thing :) But if they aren't affected by stuff like the curb in the same way the player is then that's what I call cheating ;)

No, by my own words the car behind is the one who has the responsibility to avoid contact, I was ahead going into the corner despite a small stretch where my left wheels were on grass. Therefore the hit through Brundle, the left hander, is the fault of the AI.

Definitely the curb though bud, the contact itself wasn't a problem, and like I said I kinda enjoy it because it makes the AI feel more lifelike and that's never a bad thing :) But if they aren't affected by stuff like the curb in the same way the player is then that's what I call cheating ;)
It may just be an issue with open wheel cars or platform specific. 

Idk if this will be watchable, but same spot on ps4 version.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1597773863812350&id=100007392543816&ref=m_notif&notif_t=video_wall_create

AI hits the kerb and bounces into me pushing me off.

In fairness to the AI, I crowded him, as you did.

It was indeed watchable, and again I'd say you were right to take the line that you did. The AI just straightlined the curb and mashed into you. You'd already won the corner, you were ahead through both, you braked at the right point for the right hander, and it's as if the AI didn't and used you as his brake instead. And he barely seemed effected by the curb, had that been you or I hitting it we'd have been well off into the grass on the left. Yet his car touches back down instantly and doesn't lose traction or grip at all. 

If I'd seen that from 2 players and was stewarding over it, I'd have given him a penalty for not taking care to avoid a collision ;)

Well, to be fair, he probably didn't go into the grass because he drove through me lol.

It was the AIs fault but, I still call it more of a racing incident. The type I wouldn't give a penalty for unless the person did it more than once.

Annoying? Sure. But racing is annoying sometimes. 

That said, the AI definitely needs some tweaks. From curbs not effecting them enough, to rain having little effect on their pace. To some tracks where they just drive through you.

"Some" tracks where they drive straight through you? I'm honestly having trouble differentiating between online and offline play the amount of times I've been rammed in both modes.
The AI don't need tweaks, they need fixing to gain awareness that the player car is actually a solid object and well.... there.

@Wynterdust I have had a lot of good races with the AI.

This one for example, where I completely over drove several times but the AI actually avoided contact better than most people I've played with. (esp the I had the line type who don't give an inch lol) If we had hit, it would have been my fault, but instead it was just a good race.

https://youtu.be/5omQE0rp-RQ

I really wish I had more time to play the game. Only had a few days with it and I'm leaving again tomorrow. 

Played online with my friend last night in a private lobby vs AI. It was good fun in the GT cars. Done 15 laps at Spa with random weather plus accelerated time. Weather is a good challenge, although I dislike how the track seems to dry instantly. Pit stops are a bit of a mess, but we're working through that. Seems like the tyre model works well, I tried to put on dry tyres but because of the pit system ended up with wets again I think which burnt out after half a lap. Slicks dont work in rain, which is a good thing.

Other than the faults, this is a fun game.

Just had a race ruined by a backmarker, I will upload the video tomorrow.

AI isn't effected by tyre wear either it seems, or at least effected way less than a human. Find it funny how this game has very similar problems to a Codemasters game.

Speaking of tire wear, is there any hud element that.shows it? Or do you just gotta pit whenever you feel the loss of grip

Just gotta pit whenever you feel it go. I think I read on the forums they were looking at adding something to the HUD for it though.

The red car is a lapped car, that had just had a close run with the leader into turn 1.

https://youtu.be/JELhsZJYhAY

Now even if it wasn't a backmarker the driving is still awful.

Some good stuff about tyre wear and the like in this thread.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27185-GOOD-INFO-INSIDE!-tyre-wear

The best thing about this game is that it'll give me a bonus £10 voucher as well as its trade-in value when I trade it in next time I'm in town. I've given up trying. Everytime I've played it I've just ended up getting angry at it. (Which is a first for me since I never get angry at games). The AI are just...there's no words.
Maybe I'll try it again a few months down the line after the patches and if it's cheap to buy again. But right now, this is by far the biggest disappointment I've played since I started gaming.

The best thing about this game is that it'll give me a bonus £10 voucher as well as its trade-in value when I trade it in next time I'm in town. I've given up trying. Everytime I've played it I've just ended up getting angry at it. (Which is a first for me since I never get angry at games). The AI are just...there's no words.
Maybe I'll try it again a few months down the line after the patches and if it's cheap to buy again. But right now, this is by far the biggest disappointment I've played since I started gaming.
Nebver mind I suppose it's one of those games that suits some people better than others as I've quite enjoyed playing it so far I've only done the one season so far but I do plan on going in and doing a few more eventually

Probably yeah. The thing is, to drive it's actually very very good. I want to like it but the AI do not react to the player, or other AI cars for that matter, as they should be and that for me is completely ruining the game. It probably isn't as much a problem in GT, Le Mans etc but in open wheelers it's just abysmal that they keep driving into the player and refuse to come off their railroad in corners (either overtaking or being overtaken by the player). That and all their other issues with weather, fuel, tyre wear and temp makes it feel like the game isn't finished. 

Probably yeah. The thing is, to drive it's actually very very good. I want to like it but the AI do not react to the player, or other AI cars for that matter, as they should be and that for me is completely ruining the game. It probably isn't as much a problem in GT, Le Mans etc but in open wheelers it's just abysmal that they keep driving into the player and refuse to come off their railroad in corners (either overtaking or being overtaken by the player). That and all their other issues with weather, fuel, tyre wear and temp makes it feel like the game isn't finished. 
Yeah I had 1 or 2 moments in the formula rookie cars where the AI did bump me a bout a bit but seeing as I don't play with damage on or anything like that it didn't really affect me too much. Although I'm racing the Ginetta cars for my second season. I've done a few practice laps around Hockenheim in them and they felt good so looking forward to that.

This is why I tell people not to get hyped. A perfect game can be ruined by overhype.

I wasnt even hyped about it and im disappointed. Unfinished is the best word to describe it.

The denial on the forums about the AI is pretty funny though, even from the head of studio but at least it looks like he's willing to change things.

I have to say that atm its no better than the F1 games.

Platy said:
I wasnt even hyped about it and im disappointed. Unfinished is the best word to describe it.

The denial on the forums about the AI is pretty funny though, even from the head of studio but at least it looks like he's willing to change things.

If you look at my posts before release I talked about the head of studio. He won't listen to players and never admits to problems, and people that spoke up about issues ended up getting banned, so much for a community game. They can't take criticism at all, I love the physics but the AI has been an issue since day 1. Online is fine, but now you guys can see why for 90% of pre release I was just hot lapping.

I don't have a problem with the ai, but that's because I know how to deal with them. I think they should've kept all the sliders that were in pre release as you could change loads of things like aggressiveness, intelligence and how they defend.

Hughesy said:
Platy said:

If you look at my posts before release I talked about the head of studio. He won't listen to players and never admits to problems, and people that spoke up about issues ended up getting banned, so much for a community game. They can't take criticism at all, I love the physics but the AI has been an issue since day 1. Online is fine, but now you guys can see why for 90% of pre release I was just hot lapping.

I don't have a problem with the ai, but that's because I know how to deal with them. I think they should've kept all the sliders that were in pre release as you could change loads of things like aggressiveness, intelligence and how they defend.

Yeah I agree they should have especially as some people like a more gentle more forgiving slower AI like myself which we got in the earlier CM games up until 2012 and some like a fast aggressive AI like we got with F1 2013 for example. I'm not saying that the AI in that game was bad for everyone but it was bad for the kind of racing that I prefer. Because I find myself having to race a lot like Pastor Maldonado in order to compete with it. That was even after I downloaded and applied a grip mod to the game to stop the cars being so twitchy.

Still although I agree it's not perfect I will say I have raced what I would consider worse AI. But it seems to me that that is an area that a lot of racing games tend to struggle with in terms of getting things right. Although I do think that if they did do what you suggested @Hughesy and left the intelligence and aggression bars in like EA's F1 challenge had on that game that would have been better

I gave it another chance today with a different approach and found the AI better to deal with in a race (despite a few restarts due to their lack of sight). But then they didn't pit and their complete lack of tyre wear again ruined the race. 
I'm on the same boat as Platy, the disappointment is more from the fact it could and should have been a step up from F1 and Forza 5 and it's no better.

It's funny how some people stubbornly defend(ed) CodeMasters' (and other studios') games after years of defective releases, poor support, disappointing sequels, & awful community interaction - condescendingly telling others to "be patient, you bunch of entitled moaners" and "give them time to patch it" and "cut them some slack – they're not a big triple-A game company" ...but then some of those same folks are quick to condemn other games for the slightest imperfections.

I'm not defending Project CARS or Slightly Mad Studios. If a game is ready to be sold, then it should be ready to play (free of major show-stopping defects). At least, unlike some other games, Project CARS was actually playably functional on launch day for most customers. Project CARS has only been publicly available for about 2-&-a-half weeks & they've already supported it with a post-launch patch, while openly stating other issues they're actively working on. Slightly Mad Studios is not a big triple-A game company, but many of their actual development staff (not just a "community manager") are responding to customers daily on their official public forums. They may not have done everything perfectly so far, but they seem to be doing many of the fundamentally important things that a lot of other game companies can’t seem to be bothered with.

I hate to use the "f" word (no, not the 4-letter one - the one that rhymes with "vanpoy"), but the hypocrisy in praising & defending the repeated offenses of one game/company while condemning the lesser offenses of others is quite telling. I've seen heated criticism of Project CARS coming from fans of a number of incumbent (& far less than perfect) motorsport-related games & simulators. 
Why don't they hold their favorites to the same high standards? It's like nobody wants their cherished reigning champ to actually have to defend its title against any potential up-&-coming challengers.

Platy said:
Who's doing that? Or are you just venting?
(If that question was in response to my prior post...)  I'm not going to "name-&-shame" by pointing out specific individuals & starting flame wars. I was just stating some general observations.