Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

Fair enough, I don't think many people here defend CM any longer, maybe one of the people I don't really know, but fair enough.

Just played online for a good hour, random lobbies with my friend. Have to say for the majority of it everyone was clean and fair, had a couple of idiots but not many compared to other online racing games. Surprised me really.

Platy said:
Fair enough, I don't think many people here defend CM any longer, maybe one of the people I don't really know, but fair enough.

Just played online for a good hour, random lobbies with my friend. Have to say for the majority of it everyone was clean and fair, had a couple of idiots but not many compared to other online racing games. Surprised me really.
I echo that :p 

Platy said:

I echo that :p 
Agreed even I've grown tired of trying to efend them and tbh this decision they've made to drop the career mode for me in the latest F1 game really is the last straw

The one thing I will say about Pcars though, is the historic touring cars are complete trash. The way they react to even the slightest touch is preposterous. I hate racing the AI with them because it always results is some kind of absurd flip.

The one thing I will say about Pcars though, is the historic touring cars are complete trash. The way they react to even the slightest touch is preposterous. I hate racing the AI with them because it always results is some kind of absurd flip.
Well I haven't had any problems in the historic races I've done but then I think it seems with PCars everybody's experiences seem to be wildly different around here. At least based on comments here and on the F1 section

Well I haven't had any problems in the historic races I've done but then I think it seems with PCars everybody's experiences seem to be wildly different around here. At least based on comments here and on the F1 section
I have an even better one from earlier tonight. But I don't have time to upload it til atleast Friday.

The way the cars react to side contact is absurd. And the AI runs into all the time, causing little bunny hops that send you straight on. Which inevitably leads to them running into you and and you flipping In some absurd fashion.

https://youtu.be/LMgMJ-TgIvE

After having some more time to play it, I've actually quickly become fed up with this game. I went ahead and deleted it. I'll try again once it's been patched.

I have played almost every racing game since early nineties and without a shadow of a doubt Project CARS is the best I have ever played. The community forum is full of ideas that are being listened too. The guys who moderate the forum are real mods, not that im saying the kids in here aint. The head of studio is very vocal on the forums too. there is also a thing called community spirit, none of that here. mind you if SMS deleted there forum with no warning that might happen to them also but I don't think they'd be that dumb.

its been a while but I still hold a grudge about that forum closure! swines!

Operator1 said:

It's funny how some people stubbornly defend(ed) CodeMasters' (and other studios') games after years of defective releases, poor support, disappointing sequels, & awful community interaction - condescendingly telling others to "be patient, you bunch of entitled moaners" and "give them time to patch it" and "cut them some slack – they're not a big triple-A game company" ...but then some of those same folks are quick to condemn other games for the slightest imperfections.

I'm not defending Project CARS or Slightly Mad Studios. If a game is ready to be sold, then it should be ready to play (free of major show-stopping defects). At least, unlike some other games, Project CARS was actually playably functional on launch day for most customers. Project CARS has only been publicly available for about 2-&-a-half weeks & they've already supported it with a post-launch patch, while openly stating other issues they're actively working on. Slightly Mad Studios is not a big triple-A game company, but many of their actual development staff (not just a "community manager") are responding to customers daily on their official public forums. They may not have done everything perfectly so far, but they seem to be doing many of the fundamentally important things that a lot of other game companies can’t seem to be bothered with.

I hate to use the "f" word (no, not the 4-letter one - the one that rhymes with "vanpoy"), but the hypocrisy in praising & defending the repeated offenses of one game/company while condemning the lesser offenses of others is quite telling. I've seen heated criticism of Project CARS coming from fans of a number of incumbent (& far less than perfect) motorsport-related games & simulators. Why don't they hold their favorites to the same high standards? It's like nobody wants their cherished reigning champ to actually have to defend its title against any potential up-&-coming challengers.

Different things annoy different people. For example some people go postal when a car doesn't have the correct red strip on the side, or the track doesn't model some minor detail. People on wheels are obviously interested in good wheel support, people on controllers probably don't care so much about this. In fact games are so huge these days that it's possible to spend your time in one entire mode and never encounter bugs that make others rage.

For me though PCars has made one error that is about as fundamental as it gets (ok maybe there is one greater which is the game not starting up in the first place) and that is the fact that the controller is awful on XBone. No matter what mode you use the game in (apart freom wheel users) this is going to affect you, so it's not surprising a large section of the community are going to be hacked off with it.

I won't be going on to the Pcars website and complain endlessly. I simply won't buy it until it's fixed. As for responses, I'm not impressed with talk, which is cheap. Action is more important. Codies and the Pcars guys both get asked the same questions time and time again on sites about certain things, such as when will teaser videos be released, when will the game get patched, what is in the patch etc. They can only answer the same question so many times. For my preference I would rather they implemented a good voting system to find out what the majority want, a good bug registering system and a simple way of displaying whats in the pipeline and when it will be ready, and a FAQ note. Dev teams shouldnn't be spending hours on forums IMO. That's not a good use of their time. There's a fine line between being unresponsive to your customer base and the opposite where you let the customers design everything, the result being you get a complete mess of a product that gets pulled in 40 different directions at once. It's difficult to condense forum posts into a coherent product direction. I respect the Pcars boss for going on the forums, but I think he is there too much. Debates with low level trolls shou;dn't be what his job is about. It should be about getting licensing deals and more global company objectives. If your head is down in the trenches how can you plan the strategy for the battle ? That said, it would be nice to see the creative directors of CM on here occasionally rationalising their decisions and explaining what their vision of the product is.

I have an even better one from earlier tonight. But I don't have time to upload it til atleast Friday.

The way the cars react to side contact is absurd. And the AI runs into all the time, causing little bunny hops that send you straight on. Which inevitably leads to them running into you and and you flipping In some absurd fashion.

https://youtu.be/LMgMJ-TgIvE

After having some more time to play it, I've actually quickly become fed up with this game. I went ahead and deleted it. I'll try again once it's been patched.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen all I was saying is that that hasn't happened to me as yet

I have played almost every racing game since early nineties and without a shadow of a doubt Project CARS is the best I have ever played. The community forum is full of ideas that are being listened too. The guys who moderate the forum are real mods, not that im saying the kids in here aint. The head of studio is very vocal on the forums too. there is also a thing called community spirit, none of that here. mind you if SMS deleted there forum with no warning that might happen to them also but I don't think they'd be that dumb.

its been a while but I still hold a grudge about that forum closure! swines!

Banned. Permanently.

Jokinnnng.

But yeah, I try to do my best moderating the forums, obviously. You lot in off-topic and motorsport don't need much moderating at all.

I look at all the different parts of the forums but as the DiRT section is covered well by Lee and Skiddy, I don't really moderate much there. I try and keep the F1 bit in order where possible in particular. I think the reason there's not much of a 'community spirit' as you say, is because a lot of people are disappointed with the massive lack of information and video of F1 2015 (I'm one of them, I think it's crazy how little we've seen with such little time left before release).

They were hinted that there would be a lot of behind the scenes stuff they'd be able to get an insight into, but this hasn't really happened. There's been a lot of questions on the game and other stuff said on the forum, but there hasn't been much said in response by the Codemasters peeps, and as a result of this they're now asking why there's been such a lack of interaction.

I do post there but some people get confused and assume I work at Codemasters, so I have to tell them I don't, I'm just a community moderator.

@PeteTheDuck is this your way of telling us we're well behaved when it comes to posting :tongue:

Juice29 said:
@PeteTheDuck is this your way of telling us we're well behaved when it comes to posting :tongue:
Pretty much! Now don't go start posting a load of dodgy stuff because then I'll change my mind :p

Shall be giving it another go tomorrow then. Hopefully some of the issues have been fully sorted. 

Juice29 said:
Pretty much! Now don't go start posting a load of dodgy stuff because then I'll change my mind :p
Best to not look what I posted in the football thread then o:) Don't kill me, you can delete it if you want but I thought it was rather good considering what's going on with FIFA, also funny.

Hughesy said:
Juice29 said:
Best to not look what I posted in the football thread then o:) Don't kill me, you can delete it if you want but I thought it was rather good considering what's going on with FIFA, also funny.
Well, um, yeah, I edited the link so it's not embedded. I've kept it as a link but it's probably best you don't post something like that again, just for the future, sorry :/

You actually changed it to another video. I know it's against the rules but with the current thing going on between USA and Blatter and AMS post, it was the first thing to come to mind. I did try finding a bleeped version but couldn't, plus most of the video would be bleeped out :joy:  I won't post it again ;)

Operator1 said:

dirt3joe said:

...the controller is awful on XBone....

They're currently saying that an Xbox One patch to address controller issues (among other things) will be available May 28th (or 29th?):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27074-Coming-May-28th-Project-CARS-Xbox-One-Upcoming-Patch-1-3-Release-notes

Good luck. I hope the patch works for you & others.

Ta. There's a patch out now that most people seem to be saying has fixed some of the more glaring issues with the controller on xbone.

Now the question is whether to buy now or wait for the addition patch on June 5th.

The wonderful Empty Box talks about why Project Cars may be a disappointment to some of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eD7o_f7s0Y

Juice29 said:
The wonderful Empty Box talks about why Project Cars may be a disappointment to some of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eD7o_f7s0Y

LOL. Personally, I have yet to see an Empty Box video that I liked or agreed with. Even if he may be a somewhat informed & experienced sim racer, I find him to be an annoying speaker/presenter in his videos ...& full of feces. :)

The only pre-release "hype" (if it could even be called such) that I saw for Project CARS was simple user-created content, like YouTube videos (including ones good ol' @Hughesy has shared here). It's not like Slighly Mad Studios ever aired Super Bowl commercials with fireworks & bikini models & heavily doctored game footage that bore no resemblance to the actual game.

I don't recall any of the user-created pre-launch videos I saw ever hyping up wild claims about all the unbelievably amazing things in the game. Most of the videos I saw had little or no speech ("hype") at all - only game-play footage.

The videos' contents - the game's actual game-play, available features, visuals, & audio - spoke for themselves. No hype necessary. Nobody had to "sell" me on Project CARS because it sold itself when I saw it in action. (...That's a lesson other game companies could learn a lot from.)

Fundamentally, the core features & game-play offered by Project CARS are what make it a solid motorsport experience. It has a lot of things that fans of other motorsport-related games & sims have long been asking for - things like: qualifying, night racing, weather, pit stops, long real-world track list, detailed tuning, detailed cockpits, numerous driving camera perspectives, extensive customization of game config settings, no grinding/unlocking, etc.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the game so far. It's not "perfect" & it still has some technical issues (nothing that has rendered the game dysfunctionally unplayable for me) that will reportedly be patched, but it's been more than enough to hold my attention & keep me going back for more.

You can't really call the mess they have in game right now a "pit stop". I know they have plans to add the animated pit crew back into the game, not that it's something I care for as I'd rather drive to the pitbox myself, etc. The pit strategy menu is one of the worst things I've come across in a racing game, it makes zero sense and is barely a working system. They really need to change the whole strategy menu and give us an ability to change things on the fly without pausing the game.

Other than the weather looking good, the game doesn't bring many new things to the table. Its fun but nothing out of this world.

Platy said:
You can't really call the mess they have in game right now a "pit stop"...

LOL. Very true. The pit stops need work.

Platy said:
...the game doesn't bring many new things to the table...

Indeed, it doesn't deliver many things that we haven't already seen in other games, but it does combine many of the things we've seen separately scattered across different games into one package.