Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

dirt3joe said:
Formula A are pretty much F1 cars AFAIKT. When I played them straight off I found them very hard. There is also a lot of screen judder/camera shake. I can't figure out whether that's because the track is bumpy and it's really like that or it's frame stuttering.
you know you can change that in the display settings? plenty advice about that on the official forum.
Thanks.

Yeah - it's a complex game and I'm sure there are loads of things on their that I could alter that would make me happier with it - I will check out the forum. I did try to turn it off, but it wasn't obvious where to do it from the huge array of settings.

I'm not sure whether I like camera shake or not. To me it makes the races more exhausting, but my guess is that that is how it is in real life. Clearly there are different levels of realism that people want - after all no-one wants someone storming into their house and breaking their legs with a cricket bat every time they go into a barrier.

I think re things like the camera shake, this is where they maybe screwed up on the default settings for console. I think it may have been you who suggested that a game should have all the sophistication in, and options for people to reduce those settings if they find it too challenging. That makes sense to me. But where they seem to have failed is making it easy for people to find the simpler settings and have global configurations that meet the more casual users requirements. it would be a shame if they lost all the revenue available from the casual user base because of some relatively simple coding that wasn't done in the UI.

dirt3joe said:.
...I've heard the settings on PCars affect the car perfomance more, and that the default settings are far from the best. So maybe there is some tinkering to be done. That said, your average casual racer doesn't want to spend hours arsing around with car settings and controller settings...

Project CARS isn't for the "average casual racer." It's for motorsport enthusiasts. Just like the F1 games & DiRT Rally aren't for "75% of console owners," but for enthusiasts of those genres.

Project CARS has extensive customization options.  The game definitely leans more strongly towards the "sim" side than the "arcade/casual" side, but it has the ability to accommodate various play styles through a variety of in-game configuration settings.

There's no way to know "one" setup that suits everyone, so the defaults may not feel the greatest to each & every person the first time they pick it up. It's better that the game has the ability to be configured & adapted for individual preferences instead of only having one immutable configuration.

Take a look at these threads for more info on customizing Project CARS controller settings:

With regards to the lap times & sector times you mentioned, you can map a controller button to "Cycle Lap Info" (I have it mapped to the up D-Pad direction), which will cycle through various on-screen timing charts while you're driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the game if you haven't further explored how much you can tailor it to suit your preferences.

dirt3joe said:
...I wouldn't recommend it to other console owners unless they were really into virtual racing.

Neither would I, because its target audience is those who are really into virtual racing.

Operator1 said:

dirt3joe said:.
...I've heard the settings on PCars affect the car perfomance more, and that the default settings are far from the best. So maybe there is some tinkering to be done. That said, your average casual racer doesn't want to spend hours arsing around with car settings and controller settings...

Project CARS isn't for the "average casual racer." It's for motorsport enthusiasts. Just like the F1 games & DiRT Rally aren't for "75% of console owners," but for enthusiasts of those genres.

Project CARS has extensive customization options.  The game definitely leans more strongly towards the "sim" side than the "arcade/casual" side, but it has the ability to accommodate various play styles through a variety of in-game configuration settings.

There's no way to know "one" setup that suits everyone, so the defaults may not feel the greatest to each & every person the first time they pick it up. It's better that the game has the ability to be configured & adapted for individual preferences instead of only having one immutable configuration.

Take a look at these threads for more info on customizing Project CARS controller settings:

With regards to the lap times & sector times you mentioned, you can map a controller button to "Cycle Lap Info" (I have it mapped to the up D-Pad direction), which will cycle through various on-screen timing charts while you're driving.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the game if you haven't further explored how much you can tailor it to suit your preferences.

Well I did say that here :smile: 

"Had only about 10 hours worth of play so far, so too early to make too many statements."

So they are my initial impressions. Probably more time than quite a few reviewers put into the game.

I don't think my impressions are particularly negative so far, it's a good game, it's just that the game is not the eighth wonder of the world that some seem to claim it is. It has quite a few issues beyond what I've already stated.

And if the game is aimed at the sim racing enthusiast, then I think there is a big questionmark over whether releasing it on console is that smart a move. Most sim racers are on PC's with wheels. Most console players are likely to be casuals with controllers. If you look on Amazon it's taken a heavy bashing on the review side because it seems like this wasn't anticipated (schoolboy error if you ask me).

Platy said:
Platy said:
The Formula A are pretty awful tbh. Haven't tried them on a wheel, but on a controller they're ridiculous. Struggle with understeer when turning then oversteer when touching the accelerator. 
if as you say you are not bothered about setups then why say the cars are ridiculous, a few simple changes and you could solve those problems easily.

Because I pretty much only play online and setups don't save at the moment (another issue with the game). I'll stick to all the other cars for now, just avoid Formula A. It might be a problem with Azure though, had trouble with GT3 cars around there and the Formula A car was fine at Monza.
first time I have heard that setups don't save, they save ok for me. the standard setting for azure is no good but if you cant save a custom setup you're pretty much screwed online.

dirt3joe said:
dirt3joe said:
Formula A are pretty much F1 cars AFAIKT. When I played them straight off I found them very hard. There is also a lot of screen judder/camera shake. I can't figure out whether that's because the track is bumpy and it's really like that or it's frame stuttering.
you know you can change that in the display settings? plenty advice about that on the official forum.
Thanks.

Yeah - it's a complex game and I'm sure there are loads of things on their that I could alter that would make me happier with it - I will check out the forum. I did try to turn it off, but it wasn't obvious where to do it from the huge array of settings.

I'm not sure whether I like camera shake or not. To me it makes the races more exhausting, but my guess is that that is how it is in real life. Clearly there are different levels of realism that people want - after all no-one wants someone storming into their house and breaking their legs with a cricket bat every time they go into a barrier.

I think re things like the camera shake, this is where they maybe screwed up on the default settings for console. I think it may have been you who suggested that a game should have all the sophistication in, and options for people to reduce those settings if they find it too challenging. That makes sense to me. But where they seem to have failed is making it easy for people to find the simpler settings and have global configurations that meet the more casual users requirements. it would be a shame if they lost all the revenue available from the casual user base because of some relatively simple coding that wasn't done in the UI.

the game is realistic straight out the box, if you want to dumb it down ,for want of a better phrase, that's up to you. I changed a few things myself when I started the game but nothing major, adjusted the sun flare and bloom, adjusted the audio settings as it was way too loud and remapped the control pad to better suit myself.

yeah check the forum man you will find plenty advice and the option menu aint that complicated as long as you know what you want to adjust.

dirt3joe said:

Well I did say that here :smile: 

"Had only about 10 hours worth of play so far, so too early to make too many statements."

So they are my initial impressions. Probably more time than quite a few reviewers put into the game.

I don't think my impressions are particularly negative so far, it's a good game, it's just that the game is not the eighth wonder of the world that some seem to claim it is. It has quite a few issues beyond what I've already stated.

And if the game is aimed at the sim racing enthusiast, then I think there is a big questionmark over whether releasing it on console is that smart a move. Most sim racers are on PC's with wheels. Most console players are likely to be casuals with controllers. If you look on Amazon it's taken a heavy bashing on the review side because it seems like this wasn't anticipated (schoolboy error if you ask me
that's fair enough but surely people who bought the game knew it was a full on simulator before they bought it. I done plenty research before buying it and its pretty much what I expected. its not like SMS were advertising it as an arcade game even although with changing a lot of settings you can have it more arcade like than sim like.

Never had the setups not save throughout development, and never since release. I think it's good they released a sim on consoles, as there's no technical reason why the current consoles couldn't run it (which was always the excuse by developers) although Race Pro released on 360 was awesome back in the day. I always see people on consoles moan that there's not enough racing sims for them to play, so now they have their wish. Although a lot of console players use a controller, SMS made no secret that playing with a wheel would create a lot better experience. I'm sure more tweaks will be added to make using a controller better than it currently is. 

The ai aren't the best, but show me one that is. The GTR/race series has ai like GT, a train that doesn't battle. Forza 5 has similar ai to Pcars, yes it uses data from players, but that actually creates very agressive ai due to the way a lot of players race like. The less said about Rfactors ai the better.  I'd still rather have this overly agressive ai compared to ai that doesn't fight at all (like the F1 series)

could not have said it better myself, @hughesy im not sure why people are having problems with the controller as im using it and never tweaked the settings at all, works fine for me and im able to lap at top 10 pace on the leaderboards. sure its twitchy as hell with standard setup but a few tweaks to the car setup and its fine for me, I especially found that slowing the steering rack improved it immensely for me anyway. I also like the idea they done with the ai. quick question, after a race it tells me my lap data wont be saved for ai, is that for pc only? great idea saving clean fast laps from people playing the game and implementing that to the ai.

I'm not sure if it's PC only,  maybe ask on the PCars  forum. Would be weird to have the feature display on the console version but not be enabled. Which console do you play it on? Do you have XBL Gold/PSN?

I tried to use the controller when I got my copy for my Xbox One, and I really disliked it. I just couldn't get to grips with it at all.

I've been told the recent update helps massively though so I need to try it again and get stuck into it to see if that helps a bit. 

Hughesy said:
I'm not sure if it's PC only,  maybe ask on the PCars  forum. Would be weird to have the feature display on the console version but not be enabled. Which console do you play it on? Do you have XBL Gold/PSN?
PSN m8, did ask on the forum but no reply.

I tried to use the controller when I got my copy for my Xbox One, and I really disliked it. I just couldn't get to grips with it at all.

I've been told the recent update helps massively though so I need to try it again and get stuck into it to see if that helps a bit. 
On XB1 people were moaning bitterly about the controller from day 1. Opinion seems to be that patch 1.3 makes it a lot better, although still not perfect.

I have no idea whether I am on patch 1.3 or not, but I suspect so. So far the controller is a bit sensitive, but workable on Option 3 for me. I haven't changed any of the default settings. Key is I think to start on something manageable like formula C on a big open track like Le mans. Then you calibrate yourself into the new sensitivity (compared with the average CM game). As in real life sticking yourself in the most powerful car on a tough track from time zero is not going to result in great performance.

I did a few laps of Le Mans in the Lotus 98T last night, and apart from the enhanced stick sensitivity, the car really didn't feel that much different from the F1 car in 2013. Maybe a bit more sensitive on the stick - stuff like bumpy tracks makes it a bit more difficult to play. Also I play F1 2013 with all assists off whereas I play PCars with many of the assists on.

Thing where PCars has stood out for me is in understeer and on some of the slower cars. The Clio has done some stuff that I have never experienced in GA in terms of the way the car has moved and I have managed to bring back under control, although these are comparitively rare events for me. I guess this must be "real physics" in action (?) .

Went on the Nordshleife for the first time last night. That is a well done track. I am keen to beat 6 minutes in the Formula A, but it's a scary ride.

Operator1 said:
Nice. Will try the game again once that releases. Then I'll rage quit because it's still to hot to play. Lol... 
I got the impression that the patch was due June 5th. But aparrently it has been delayed a couple of weeks...

Pitted during an online race, got a penalty for cutting the track. I know they're fixing it, but how things like that make it into games is still shocking.

Sounds like the 1.4 patch is out for PS4, not sure on other platforms. 

Patch notes here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Patch-1-4-Release-notes-OUT-NOW-on-PC-and-PS4

I'd give it a test and check out the changes but my PC started emanating burning smells when I was playing PCars last night :( Gotta figure out what caused it before putting too much load on it.

I'd give it a test and check out the changes but my PC started emanating burning smells when I was playing PCars last night :( Gotta figure out what caused it before putting too much load on it.
Mine has done that before, I'm about 99% sure that it was just dust on the GPU. Need to clean it more often :smiley: 

Mine has done that before, I'm about 99% sure that it was just dust on the GPU. Need to clean it more often :smiley: 

I'm very much hoping it was just that! I usually dust my PC every 2 weeks but the fan on the Nvidia reference cooler is a massive pain to clean lol. What I didn't mention though was that I quit out of the game and loaded up HWMonitor, scrolled down and I'm fairly sure GPU 2's temp had gone nuclear. It looked as though it said either 180c or 1800c, as soon as I saw 18 as the first 2 numbers though I immediately started holding down the power button and got my face next to the side panel window to see if the fan had stopped spinning. 

Tried both cards separately too to see if it was maybe just one of them had had some kind of failure and both seemed OK, normal temps and spinning fans for both. I've put them both back in but haven't booted up since last night, kinda putting it off because it's a little stressful after the amount I've spent on it lol. 

@Hughesy gave me a good idea though, he suggested it could be cables and my FP audio cable does actually rest along the top of the GPU that gets hottest so I'm gonna try routing it so it isn't touching and hope it was either that or dust.