Sign in to follow this  

Project CARS

Hughesy said:
40% done lol. Just noticed that in the video it looks like it's stuttering. It wasn't when playing and was 60fps, but noticed I had pre rendered frames set to 3 for some reason, which has made Shadowplay recording go a bit weird, it's still fine though, but thought I'd point it out now. I'm thinking I should've uploaded it at 720p 30fps, but I wanted it to look good. Imagine how long it would take to upload at my native 2560x1440p resolution :flushed: Does Nvidia Shadowplay compress @RevolvingPrawn  ? As at 1080p doesn't look that sharp, I know I'm used to 1440p, but it does seem it uses some compression affecting quality.

Just doing a race with 30 cars on track, framerate tanks down to 45fps :(  Seems my 980 isn't that great, I'm slowly starting to doubt my purchase. There are two setting I can turn down to get 60fps but I don't want to. Still feels surprisingly smooth though, kinda like GT6 which can't keep a smooth framerate. Now do I buy a second 980 or stick with one, wait for better cards and sell this one...

Why did I give my brother that new gtx 970, could've sold it and got a second 980 today. He hasn't even used  his PC since I have him the 970, don't know why I bothered.
If you're only running the one card, sometimes a multi screen resolution can just destroy fps unfortunately. It might be due to that? 
It's only one screen @ 2560x1440p.

Edit: There's a problem somewhere, as without using any Vsync GPU usage still stays at 67%, CPU is the problem I think. I was about to restart my PC incase the new build that just installed caused the problem, but then rememberd I still have that video uploading lol.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
40% done lol. Just noticed that in the video it looks like it's stuttering. It wasn't when playing and was 60fps, but noticed I had pre rendered frames set to 3 for some reason, which has made Shadowplay recording go a bit weird, it's still fine though, but thought I'd point it out now. I'm thinking I should've uploaded it at 720p 30fps, but I wanted it to look good. Imagine how long it would take to upload at my native 2560x1440p resolution :flushed: Does Nvidia Shadowplay compress @RevolvingPrawn  ? As at 1080p doesn't look that sharp, I know I'm used to 1440p, but it does seem it uses some compression affecting quality.

Just doing a race with 30 cars on track, framerate tanks down to 45fps :(  Seems my 980 isn't that great, I'm slowly starting to doubt my purchase. There are two setting I can turn down to get 60fps but I don't want to. Still feels surprisingly smooth though, kinda like GT6 which can't keep a smooth framerate. Now do I buy a second 980 or stick with one, wait for better cards and sell this one...

Why did I give my brother that new gtx 970, could've sold it and got a second 980 today. He hasn't even used  his PC since I have him the 970, don't know why I bothered.
If you're only running the one card, sometimes a multi screen resolution can just destroy fps unfortunately. It might be due to that? 
It's only one screen @ 2560x1440p.

Edit: There's a problem somewhere, as without using any Vsync GPU usage still stays at 67%, CPU is the problem I think.
It could be bottlenecked by the CPU? Seems like a weird issue to have, but it could be if the game doesn't enjoy that resolution due to the rendering space? 

As far as Shadowplay compression, from all my files that I have from it the compression (if any) seems to be very minimal, I did however notice some issues if the game is going at a really quick pace. It's hit and miss, sometimes it has issues, sometimes its fine. 

Ahh, the fickleness of technology. 

My 3570k which is overclocked to 4.5ghz shouldn't bottleneck the 980 though. Think there might be a problem with the build rather than my PC. As even when I had a 780 (the rest of the system is the same now) I could race with 30 cars onscreen maxed at 2560x1440p 60fps fine. Once the YouTube video has finished I can explore the problem more. I would go on the private forum and ask, but it's a very hostile place, so I don't post on it anymore. 

Think ive sorted the problem, still isn't perfect, but it does seem to be a problem with the build rather than my rig. GPU usage is up and framerate doesn't drop lower than 55fps. I need to restart my PC once the upload is done, as sometimes Pcars doesn't work properly after an update without restarting the PC.

That is odd, you should have no problems running it then. Like you said it may be a build issue, sometimes the smalllest thing can change the FPS you get massively. 

Looking forward to the video being uploaded by the way  :)

That is odd, you should have no problems running it then. Like you said it may be a build issue, sometimes the smalllest thing can change the FPS you get massively. 

Yea I'm looking forward to it uploading, my beard will be fully grown by the time it finishes :joy: 53% done in around 6 hours. Wish BT would hurry up and enable the new cabinet so I can order fibre, been checking BT website several times a day since they fitted the new cabinet. Only just noticed you're a community manager, I'm slow like that... Are you new? If so welcome to the mad house o:)

Hughesy said:

Yea I'm looking forward to it uploading, my beard will be fully grown by the time it finishes :joy: 53% done in around 6 hours. Wish BT would hurry up and enable the new cabinet so I can order fibre, been checking BT website several times a day since they fitted the new cabinet. Only just noticed you're a community manager, I'm slow like that... Are you new? If so welcome to the mad house o:)
I look forward to see the progress of said beard!

I am yeah :), First day was yesterday and I just got all my forum stuff set up this morning so I'm here now. I look forward to the madness! 

Hughesy said:

I look forward to see the progress of said beard!

I am yeah :), First day was yesterday and I just got all my forum stuff set up this morning so I'm here now. I look forward to the madness! 
Well you're posting in the wrong section then ;) Off-topic used to be amazing, but's it's just kinda died a slow death over the last 2 years :( The only madness now happens in The Game area with all the angry rabbits!

My beards taking a while to grow, @RevolvingPrawn though has a great beard in the making ;)

Back to Pcars, I just blew my engine 
:# 

Slow progress, 72% done :tired_face: At this rate it won't be finished until 10pm, it's only a 14 minute video for god sake... If I do anymore before I get fibre, I might drop it to 720p 30fps. :s

Just another 15% to go, think my guess of 10pm was right. Started it at around 9am lol, told you @RevolvingPrawn that YouTube wasn't wrong when it said 700+ minutes :#

Hughesy said:
Just another 15% to go, think my guess of 10pm was right. Started it at around 9am lol, told you @RevolvingPrawn that YouTube wasn't wrong when it said 700+ minutes :#
It's always been wrong for me :p 

Hughesy said:
It's always been wrong for me :p 
Maybe YouTube likes you

92% done.

This is from the private forum so I shouldn't really post this but hay ho. This is from the development director talking about graphics settings, seems an odd thing to say. He does only have a 680.

That guy a development director?! He's gaming on a laptop dude. A frickin' laptop. And he calls that a high spec gaming PC? The 680MX is a mobile GPU, the normal 680 completely smokes that thing. And telling people that extra graphics features are for screenshots is utterly ridiculous.

That guy a development director?! He's gaming on a laptop dude. A frickin' laptop. And he calls that a high spec gaming PC? The 680MX is a mobile GPU, the normal 680 completely smokes that thing. And telling people that extra graphics features are for screenshots is utterly ridiculous.
Now you can see where I'm coming from, when I said I was shocked with the things I've seen posted by them... :|

Yea man, that GPU is roughly on the same level as a GTX 660, I'd expect someone on the development team for a game like this to be running a 970 at minimum. I expect someone in that position to be wanting people to play the game at the best and highest settings possible.

Juice29 said:
How long left @Hughesy
It's finished the upload part, now says processing, so hopefully won't be long now bud :) It's been stuck at 0% for a minute now, so I hope it doesn't take too much longer... :#

Edit: Says 30 mins to process :s doh!

@Juice29  @RevolvingPrawn  @LiteralZero Here's the video that's taken me so long to upload. I didn't do qualifying so started at the back, with ai on the hardest setting. Didn't tune the car and wish I'd had, lots of understeer and a boot load of lift off oversteer, but it was fun to drive. On the second lap I should've backed out of a overtake and payed the price.

The other times I went off track was mainly because of the silly pit radio, it came on at the worst time and was extremely loud, so put me off. The stuttering is because of a setting ingame that Shadowplay didn't like when recording, so sorry about that, it is/was 60fps while playing. Hope you still enjoy it
:)  Towards the end I sturggled with front tyre wear. http://youtu.be/Aha1SHaBEOU

Hughesy said:
@Juice29  @RevolvingPrawn  @LiteralZero Here's the video that's taken me so long to upload. I didn't do qualifying so started at the back, with ai on the hardest setting. Didn't tune the car and wish I'd had, lots of understeer and a boot load of lift off oversteer, but it was fun to drive. On the second lap I should've backed out of a overtake and payed the price.

The other times I went off track was mainly because of the silly pit radio, it came on at the worst time and was extremely loud, so put me off. The stuttering is because of a setting ingame that Shadowplay didn't like when recording, so sorry about that, it is/was 60fps while playing. Hope you still enjoy it :)  Towards the end I sturggled with front tyre wear. http://youtu.be/Aha1SHaBEOU
Video was ace! Really cool to see, and I love the shape of those Clio cup cars! 

If you're still worried about file size and upload times etc, Have you thought about 720p 60fps? It should decrease your potential file size by a considerable amount but will still look good at speed. 

:smiley:

Yea I have thought about doing that. I suppose it would still look ok to others, it's just me as I've been playing at 2560x1440p for three years now. I'm going to do a test run and compare size & quality between 720p vs 1080p. If I uploaded at my native resolution, the game would be released before it would upload :joy: 

Glad you enjoyed the video, I might do some smaller ones today showing different cars. :)

Hughesy said:
Yea I have thought about doing that. I suppose it would still look ok to others, it's just me as I've been playing at 2560x1440p for three years now. I'm going to do a test run and compare size & quality between 720p vs 1080p. If I uploaded at my native resolution, the game would be released before it would upload :joy: 

Glad you enjoyed the video, I might do some smaller ones today showing different cars. :)
Going from HD to SD is a killer, whenever I watch SD stuff now it hurts my eyes  :p

I've honestly not seen that much about Project Cars recently, been keeping my eye on it as best I can but been really busy so its cool to see how the game is coming along.