Sign in to follow this  

Fastest platform?

Where did i say more fps makes your car quicker? 
Where did u get the idea i meant top speed or acceleration? ROLFFAMOA
That's where skillful reading comes into play. Not reading more or less into what was written if there was no hidden context.
I wrote PC as platform SHOULD be quicker as that was what OP asked about. SHOULD as that would mean theoretically faster lap times, because it should be easier to control the car etc. with responding time.
Your times don't mean anything, differences between platforms COULD be very small and as you are not the fastest driver there your driving can't be the benchmark.
And since it's just a matter of easier control of the car, fastest PC times could be just achievable in shortest time, thus if comparing times of platform's aliens and if they had same amount of time to spend on time trials, PC aliens SHOULD have more time for improving.

I thought i didn't have to explain that to you, you just so wise, coz others already wrote that and i didn't want to waste my keys on u, but it seems you need to be explained every simple thing.

Where did i say more fps makes your car quicker? 
Page 1.  
flowaangelz said:
PC should be faster coz of 60fps.

Where did u get the idea i meant top speed or acceleration?
How else are you going to get faster?

ROLFFAMOA -  makes no sense. 

That's where skillful reading comes into play. Not reading more or less into what was written if there was no hidden context.
I did not think for one minute there was hidden context.  I only read what you type. 

I wrote PC as platform SHOULD be quicker as that was what OP asked about. SHOULD as that would mean theoretically faster lap times, because it should be easier to control the car etc. with responding time.
What responding time? When I use the xbox, I move the trigger, the car moves...instantly.  If I move the thumbstick, my front wheels turn, immediately.
If im playing CoD, or Warface, my controller doesnt get me killed, If i pull the trigger....my gun shoots. (if the server recognises im shooting is another matter)

Your times don't mean anything, differences between platforms COULD be very small and as you are not the fastest driver there your driving can't be the benchmark.
Thats where your wrong again.   My times do mean something.  The OP asked ME, what I thought.  Seeing as I have the game on both platforms.   In order to determine whether or not one platform is faster than the other, you need a fair test. E.g Same driver, same car, setup and track.....oh look.....Ive already done it on Yas Marina.  I got 1.59.3 both platforms.   I dont have to be the fastest player on the game to say there is no difference.  Smoother gameplay, doesnt make faster lap times. 

And since it's just a matter of easier control of the car,
No sorry, its not easier. ..... its JUST smoother. 

fastest PC times could be just achievable in shortest time, thus if comparing times of platform's aliens and if they had same amount of time to spend on time trials, PC aliens SHOULD have more time for improving.
Irrelevant 

I thought i didn't have to explain that to you, you just so wise, coz others already wrote that and i didn't want to waste my keys on u, but it seems you need to be explained every simple thing.
You didnt - your wrong, and no amount of further digging is going to make you correct. 
Please dont try and explain it again. as there is nothing to explain.

@ Console users.........How many of you, notice a lag when using your controller???  You steer left......are you waiting for 10 mins for your car to turn left??

When you press the brake trigger, does your car just carry on, or does it start to brake??

Not once in 5 years of playing on an xbox, have I ever experienced controller lag.  All I play is racing and shooters. 

SVENOS said:
I never had problems with 'controller lag'? I even dont know about a controller lags lol
Exactly. lol
Do you think your lap times would improve with 60 FPS.....is 30FPS on the PS3 unplayable??

@flowaanglez just seems to have a "thing" about 60 FPS,  PC superiority I guess.  
Im not even looking at your link.....your wrong.  

OH wait a min,  Ive got a pc, and I dont feel all superior. 

Im willing to accept that users used to 60FPS will feel that 30 FPS is slower.  I can see the difference,  but It doesnt make me any faster.    

If It doesnt make me any faster, its not gonna  @Flowaangelz any faster.... and its not going to make @Svenos any faster. 

@Flowaangelz  The fastest player on the game, doesnt know what controller lag is........he plays on playstation,  at 30 FPS.   

What does that tell ya? 

Im gonna go so far as saying NO console user has had controller lag. It doesnt happen.  

Controller lag, no. I just have a bit of lag from my TV, but frame rate, regardless of how fluid it looks, doesn't make you faster or slower. At the end of the day, 1 second = 1 second.

1st of all, it started when i wrote that PC SHOULD be faster coz of more fps - THEORETICALLY. And take your time and watch my link and commentary below. 
I base my opinion on the fact that with more frames its just easier to get smoothness in your driving.
Let's say we have an alien player that tops every leaderboard. He is given a PC and a console. And 10 hours for setting a given lap time. IMO thanks to more comfortable experience with PC he SHOULD be able to achieve same time quicker, and use remaining time for improving that time. So his PC time should be faster than consoles.
Is it simple enuf for u RTA to get?

Fast lap came from smooth driving.
Smooth driving came from perfect car control.
Perfect car control came from frequency.
There is frequency:
  • of frames(game itself and display), so more frames - faster reaction on what is going on screen;
  • of "signal" wich was sent/receive from_input_device/to_game.
The more you sent and game receive and display it to you - the more smooth diving you have.
We know about monitor FPS, game FPS but we do not know about game "clock" for consoles and PC(also with diffent hardware).
I belive input devices have their own frequency and when they are connected to PC/console they can be limited by speed of this ports too(but ofc i think its more than enough for drive perfect).
Also we can have some soft troubles with our devices.

Anyway its useless discussion unless Loore give us info from devs but i guess its not worth.

Most PC input devices nowadays have a USB polling rate of 500/1000hz more than enough to keep up, PS3 has 100hz and Xbox has 125hz, this means that a PS3 controller has 10ms delay and Xbox has 8ms delay as opposed to the PC's 1ms delay, easily worked out by taking 1000 and dividing it by the polling rate.

So there is a small difference but probably not picked up in reality, but if you add an Xbox or PS3 to a TV which has let's say a 10ms response time that is going to make a bigger delay i.e PS3 20ms and Xbox 18ms, this is compared to a PC monitor which a gaming one has a typical 2ms response so added to a 1ms response on a mouse or wheel will make 3ms, quite a difference in response times between the two.

Although we are talking milliseconds and most people won't notice a lot of hardcore gamers would tell the difference, I can instantly tell the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS without knowing what it is set at, it is the feel of the game at a higher refresh rate.

Lets say you have a G25 connected to a PC and also connected to a console, if you did a lock to lock as fast as you could on the wheel a PC will always be faster than a console because of response rate, but this is steering (also applies to mouse) pushing a button would make less of an impact.

I would say the only way to test it is to plug a wheel in that will run on both and see which feels faster.

True or not....i can agree with flowa....in grid 1 i was faster on pc in some categories with cheap wheel like on xbox with fanatec...better handling...i DONT know how in GAS

The only difference that should be between the consoles and PC versions are the speed that the game accepts inputs (aka controller/wheel inputs) because usually those things are tied directly to the frame rate - i.e. at 30fps the game reads pad inputs 30 times a second, 60fps 60 times, etc.

The key here is that the underlying physics is the same across each platform - 1000Hz in terms of physics speed, and the physics behave separately to the frame rate. Nascar probably ties the physics to the frame rate (as some games such as Blur did) but Grid doesn't.

The only difference is that at a higher fps, controls are a bit more responsive. But, in the best-case scenario of same input device and same car/track, the times should be identical. That said - bugs on consoles mean that PC will be a -little- faster, because upgrades work properly - but that's just that.

The only difference that should be between the consoles and PC versions are the speed that the game accepts inputs (aka controller/wheel inputs) because usually those things are tied directly to the frame rate - i.e. at 30fps the game reads pad inputs 30 times a second, 60fps 60 times, etc.

The key here is that the underlying physics is the same across each platform - 1000Hz in terms of physics speed, and the physics behave separately to the frame rate. Nascar probably ties the physics to the frame rate (as some games such as Blur did) but Grid doesn't.

The only difference is that at a higher fps, controls are a bit more responsive. But, in the best-case scenario of same input device and same car/track, the times should be identical. That said - bugs on consoles mean that PC will be a -little- faster, because upgrades work properly - but that's just that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st and 2nd paragraph are wrong and 3rd is partly correct apart from the upgrades working on PC, they don't they have to be patched.

Polling rate of input devices and receiving devices determines how fast the console or PC receives input, i.e 100/125/1000hz, PC being the 1000. Which translates to 10/8/1ms delay in input to the console or PC. 0ms being the ideal, now throw in ms response times of TV or monitor and then throw in ms response times of your internet i.e ping and the numbers start to add up.

Consoles are pretty much fixed in terms of ms response times the only variable being ping and monitor.TV, (you can throw a wheel on a console that has a 1000hz poll rate on a PC but it will be limited by the consoles rate), the better your ping the more responsive the game will be, on a PC with a good connection you can achieve a really low overall ms delay with a high end PC, good internet, gaming mouse, wheel, monitor and even a keyboard and it will be more responsive, all input devices have a certain ms delay and it all adds up.

The physics, are we talking PHYSX or physics? If so the PHYSX in the game may be different on the PC due to the HD texture pack. The physics in as much as driving will be the same but using a controller or wheel the physics will be different depending on input device, a controller has only so much analogue movement on a stick where as a wheel rotates 900degrees so the axis will be different.

You can see this effect in game when someone is using a controller (not very well I add) they are twitching it around a corner, a wheel is more linear and you can hold an arc a lot easier.

I would actually ask really which is faster a wheel on a console/PC or a controller? this is interesting because with a wheel your arms are having to move physically more left to right than your thumb does, so the higher ms delay you see in a console with controller is evened out by the lower ms delay in the PC but using a wheel can your arms react as quick as your thumb?

In theory a controller on PC should be the quickest as you can avail of the better response on the PC with a better polling rate on the controller and your fast little thumb!

There are too many variables involved really to make an assumption but to me a good gaming PC, monitor and wheel combo should be the quickest of the lot or maybe consistent and more immersion I should say, maybe it is why they use PC's in simulators and not consoles, although with the new consoles it may be a bit more even.

Damn if Sony had allowed the G25 to work on the PS4 I would buy one for the next CM game if it is up to scratch.

There is input lag on consoles that I know about, especially with a TV. But that doesn't really slow you down any, because you become used to it, by pressing the buttons slightly earlier to the point where you don't notice the difference. If there was no lag, we'd make less mistakes and be able to correct them as they happen

There is input lag on consoles that I know about, especially with a TV. But that doesn't really slow you down any, because you become used to it, by pressing the buttons slightly earlier to the point where you don't notice the difference. If there was no lag, we'd make less mistakes and be able to correct them as they happen
Totally agree Rob, your brain adjusts to it and compensates, we are talking milliseconds as well so it's no biggy on a racing game as such but on twitch shooters it is HUGE, but the same applies when the input is faster you speed up to compensate or your reactions do.

It's a difficult one to call but I still stand by the fact if a person can be uber fast on a console with a controller they can be faster on a PC with a controller over time as you adjust to realising that you can react faster than before, it's all down to training.

To someone who is used to a controller and then switches to a wheel I can guarantee will be slower with the wheel initially but after the brain trains itself for the new input you will eventually get quicker than a controller, it's possibly why we don't have cars with console controllers in them lol.

Here is an example if you take the Eibach challenge for instance, PC top 5 are under 1.16.8 (fastest being 1.16.208) the fastest time on Xbox is 1.16.801 and PS3 is 1.16.885 so there are 5 players on PC quicker than the 2 top 1st players on consoles?

Sort of speaks for itself really, it would appear PC can be 1/2 a second faster..

Here is an example if you take the Eibach challenge for instance, PC top 5 are under 1.16.8 (fastest being 1.16.208) the fastest time on Xbox is 1.16.801 and PS3 is 1.16.885 so there are 5 players on PC quicker than the 2 top 1st players on consoles?

Sort of speaks for itself really, it would appear PC can be 1/2 a second faster..
We've established that the Eibach leaderboard doesn't show every time. Replay ran a high 1:15 on PS3. Please stop using that argument, unless you're going to admit PS3 is the fastest console solely because of this fact alone.

TUSMBOX said:

We've established that the Eibach leaderboard doesn't show every time. Replay ran a high 1:15 on PS3. Please stop using that argument, unless you're going to admit PS3 is the fastest console solely because of this fact alone.
I have used the Eibach challenge as an example as those are the times that are posted, I cannot see the racenet challenge actual times that are posted on PS3 or Xbox so please enlighten me, I can look at the racenet challenge times for PC then to compare my apples with your apples if that is where you are looking?

Well according to the racenet challenge the player that is 1st on the Eibach challenge with the 1.16.208 is actually is actually 4th on the racenet challenge with a 1.30.822, the top player on PC on racenet challenge has a 1.25.507 so you are saying that Replay is 10 seconds faster than the top PC player?? hmm I think not young Jedi...

I will gladly admit the PS3 is the fastest if someone can pull of a 10sec (legit) faster lap than the equivalent PC player.

I think maybe your apples are going rotten lol.

Well according to the racenet challenge the player that is 1st on the Eibach challenge with the 1.16.208 is actually is actually 4th on the racenet challenge with a 1.30.822, the top player on PC on racenet challenge has a 1.25.507 so you are saying that Replay is 10 seconds faster than the top PC player?? hmm I think not young Jedi...

Please tell me you're not serious. The 1:15 was last week's challenge in the R8. The 1:30.822 you're referring to is for the challenge in the Mustang, and that 1:25 is a fake.

Come on, bro.

Are right ok we have gone onto week 2 I forgot it went on a Tuesday.

Ok here are the stats for week 2 so we are now comparing the same apples, Eibach challenge PC 1.30.693, Xbox 130.727, PS3 1.31.860, fastest legit time on Racenet challenge for PC is 130.569, what do you have on the racenet challenge for the console?

same pattern on the Eibach challenge though in week 1 and 2, PC has more of an edge week one and less week two but still a small edge. We really need all the legit times off the Racenet challenge to compare