Sign in to follow this  

A.I Difficulty

A question for you @Hatta....... Are the expert AI the same this year? Or have they been made even more challenging? I hope they are just that bit tougher this year!! :) Cheers!!

A question for you @Hatta....... Are the expert AI the same this year? Or have they been made even more challenging? I hope they are just that bit tougher this year!! :) Cheers!!
We know they've been playing around with the difficulties but it's also possible I suppose that the higher levels could have been left alone and just the V Easy mode added.

Going off past games id guess they would be tweaked abit as each year they do get quicker. Id love to see a 1.5-2 sec difference just so when your in a top team you can actually have some close battles with the AI.

Although I'm unable to find the source now, I believe Steve Hood answered a question regarding AI pace on Twitter. He told that their pace is improved and that they will set faster lap times, around 2 seconds per lap, than in F1 2013.

Although I'm unable to find the source now, I believe Steve Hood answered a question regarding AI pace on Twitter. He told that their pace is improved and that they will set faster lap times, around 2 seconds per lap, than in F1 2013.
Which would be pretty unrealistic if they would follow 2014 lap times.

Tourgott said:
Which would be pretty unrealistic if they would follow 2014 lap times.
Yeah, I hope it means that the AI are faster in a relative way. Normally, in qualifying, the AI is driving faster than the fastest lap time ever set in Monaco, so I hope they have adjusted the cars to match the real life performances more than before.

Pretty safe to say it's 'All' exactly the same as last year. No scrub that....All the F1 games codies have made!

In F1 2013, the AI's fastest race laps are within 1-2 seconds of their qualifying lap. The gap should be more like 3-4 seconds.

The AI need plenty of work in this game. More independent drivers who make mistakes, as well as lap times. The lap times, I believe, may be due to the fact that the physics aren't realistic. 

My belief is the AI run within the parameters of the physics defined by the engine. They push these physics as they drive on the track but don't exceed them. The physics aren't realistic enough to force the AI (as well as the players) to be slower, hence setting faster lap times than you see IRL. 

Or, we could be accelerating faster than the cars IRL do. Or we could be navigating corners quicker than they do. Without looking into the actual AI system and physics engine, and taking a look at real data, we really don't know.

They are using the same physics engine model as the previous titles so I don't see how they would have been able to fix any of these AI pace concerns.

F1 2013 I would start the race on legend, then 8-9 laps in once my tyre wear kicked in and the ai's pace only got faster, I would save the race and exit to main menu, adjust the difficulty to expert and jump back into the race.

This was the only way I could get a decent competitive race.

Hope I dont have to do that in 2014 but probably will

The AI have been retrained to deal with the performance of the new cars.  We’ve also paid particular attention to their behaviour when off the racing line, reducing their urge to brake excessively.  

Hatta said:

The AI have been retrained to deal with the performance of the new cars.  We’ve also paid particular attention to their behaviour when off the racing line, reducing their urge to brake excessively.  

That's good news Hatta!!! Are the AI generally faster this year on legend difficulty too?

Hatta said:

so when we see a video of bahrain gameriot gameplay, why are they breaking so early for turn 10? Gameriot hit the back of them multiple times.

Hatta said:

In every video I've seen so far the AI look like they're braking stupidly early! They are almost an obstacle! 
In my observations so far I'd say the AI tends to brake stupidly early on the easier difficulties. Dont forget most of the released video's display intermediate or professional AI. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LxYQ8kkDbw
Judging the way this guy is driving I would guess this is legend AI. It looks way better regarding braking (and AI pace).

Maybe they messed up the lift and coast so AI is slowing down way too early (which would be very bad because the too early braking of the AI was always one of the main problems of the game).

@Matt

Yeah thats because the AI is still subpar in lap 1. And in your examples your forgetting this guy is overtaking lesser cars driving a Williams. He couldnt pass a Ferrari which is on par/better than the Williams tier wise. His fastest lap is on par with Mercedes & RBR and just a few tenths faster than Alonso.

@Matt

Yeah thats because the AI is still subpar in lap 1. And in your examples your forgetting this guy is overtaking lesser cars driving a Williams. He couldnt pass a Ferrari which is on par/better than the Williams tier wise. His fastest lap is on par with Mercedes & RBR and just a few tenths faster than Alonso.
Yes and if you take into account the race at Bahrain from gamerio,t the difficulty was only on expert with assists on, so that may explain why the cars were slower into turn 10! To me the game looks good.... Just wait til you play it before being harsh. I think you'll find the game quite challenging @Matt!!

ai should be tougher and are there alot of different outcomes for who wins each race on the calender etc. or is it always the same ?

I hate to say this but just steal the AI from Grid Autosport.  The ai is much better at racing you, sometimes too aggressive, but that is better than passive.  And the AI is actually pretty difficult on the highest setting.

NickDahy said:
I hate to say this but just steal the AI from Grid Autosport.  The ai is much better at racing you, sometimes too aggressive, but that is better than passive.  And the AI is actually pretty difficult on the highest setting.

I agre e with you on that but it's a good Ai pace wise but they'd still need to turn down the aggression as F1 games generally aren't raced like that.

unless you're playing F1 2013 or your name's Pastor Maldonado :p

Simple way to stop this, race online in a league, AI will never be as good as real drivers.

Easy to say when you have lots of spare time and can practice 20/30 hrs on one track. I did like it when I was in a league but some ppl practice up to 4 hrs a day on the same track just for a race on any given day which imo is boring as hell! I like practice but the limited time I do play my consoles I want to have fun not drive the same race twice in one day for a week just so im competative for my league race. The AI do look better after the second lap (pace) it just seems that when they are all close they are really slow making overtakes far to easy for the player. I still think a mid field team is going to be the way if you want a challange for those wins but guess I wont know untill Ive seen what kind of pace I have with 14