Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Winest Auto Singapore Grand Prix

11 missed calls from my father, a massive Hamilton fan.

Guess it's time to change my number.
Agreed, I broke up with my dad too when he said he preferred Coulthard over Hakkinen.

So I got back from BTCC at 11pm and thought I'd watch the race expecting to fall asleep because Hamilton was so much slower. Within a few seconds I burst out laughing, my day was already awesome, but that just made it perfect. :smiley:

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
As if Raikkonen would be allowed to take the win. And I still disagree. Banking points for second, so long as Lewis stayed behind, would have given him a six point lead leaving the race rather than being 28 behind. Championships are won with consistent podiums.
If he got in to the lead with Verstappen in 2nd then he wouldn't have had much choice but to take the win.

But no, that's wrong. You can't win a championship without winning races, and winning races where you've got a car advantage and you can inflict maximum damage. That's how ships are won. "Banking points" is what Vettel did at Monza and Spa. 

This is especially potent this year for Vettel seen as since Spain he's had a general car disadvantage and will probably have going forward.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, but I will point out that Hamilton won more races than Rosberg last year and still lost the title.

Jiggy said:
11 missed calls from my father, a massive Hamilton fan.

Guess it's time to change my number.
Agreed, I broke up with my dad too when he said he preferred Coulthard over Hakkinen.
A reasonable reaction for sure.

I once nearly burned down my school because 2 of my mates were Hill supporters. Some things can't be tolerated!

(But seriously, I still think Damon Hill is a plonker.)

Hughesy said:
So I got back from BTCC at 11pm a9nd thought I'd watch the race expecting to fall asleep because Hamilton was so much slower. Within a few seconds I burst out laughing, my day was already awesome, but that just made it perfect. :smiley:
I mean it's good for Hamilton but F1 as a whole lost out with the accident yesterday and we got a boring race instead of an interesting one.

AMS97KRR said:
Hughesy said:
So I got back from BTCC at 11pm a9nd thought I'd watch the race expecting to fall asleep because Hamilton was so much slower. Within a few seconds I burst out laughing, my day was already awesome, but that just made it perfect. :smiley:
I mean it's good for Hamilton but F1 as a whole lost out with the accident yesterday and we got a boring race instead of an interesting one.
Eh, it's Singapore. It by all probability would've still been a snoozefest. Especially with this year's regulations.

This thread has just the right amount of salt.

You're damn right, I'm salty. I've had to endure shit race after shit race this year and the one time Max looks likely to win, a wild Raikkonen happened.

CHARLES LECLERC IN NOW

It wasn't boring for Hamilton, Ricciardo, Bottas, Sainz, Perez or Palmer fans ;)

Not that Palmer actually has any fans.
Palmer might have a fanbase that consists of people who stopped watching, came back and assume he's Jenson Button turned dodgy.

Jiggy said:
It wasn't boring for Hamilton, Ricciardo, Bottas, Sainz, Perez or Palmer fans ;)

Palmer might have a fanbase that consists of people who stopped watching, came back and assume he's Jenson Button turned dodgy.
Maybe, but I'm more inclined to believe that his dad is his only fan :p

I'm a fan of Palmer, he's British so I'll always support them, but there's no way he deserves a top manufacturer drive.

Jiggy said:

Maybe, but I'm more inclined to believe that his dad is his only fan :p
You know what, I think his dad likes Will better.

MBKF1 said:
I'm a fan of Palmer, he's British so I'll always support them, but there's no way he deserves a top manufacturer drive.
IMPOSSIBLE

I'm a Ferrari fan and I would call Australia, Monaco and Hungary absolute snoozefests. Don't really see what difference it makes whom I support.

MBKF1 said:
As far as I'm concerned he doesn't even deserve his driving license.

My viewpoint on the crash is that Vettel was trying to test Verstappen's nerve and force him to lift (as Alonso did to Vettel in 2010) - as a racer, I would do the same thing. However, I would be watching my mirror and if he wasn't going to give in, I would straighten up at the last minute, and that is exactly what Vettel did (he was about 1 foot away from hitting Verstappen when he did this) - it isn't worth getting yourself spun to the inside to keep 1st place - 2nd beats a DNF!

Unlike Vettel in 2010, Verstappen didn't back out, he turned left slightly to avoid him - this is normally fine, but he clearly didn't have the awareness of checking his mirror to realise that Kimi was next to him, and at this level, there is no excuse for this. All Verstappen had to do was go straight, and ignore Vettel - if Vettel had hit him, there would be no doubt it was Vettel's fault, but as I said above, Vettel straightened up before he could hit Verstappen.

Add in to this Kimi's slight right steering movement, and there was only one outcome.

Personally, I agree with the stewards' decision that it was a racing incident, but I am very unhappy that Vettel took such a stupid risk, because whoever you support or if you are neutral, I am sure everyone wanted to see the title go down to Abu Dhabi, and clearly that is very unlikely now.