Jump to content Jump to content

Anyone using eye tracker?

SauloCirineu

I was looking at it and wondering, too. But I noticed from the Tobii website that it is designed for a single monitor, and I run three. Also, I am concerned that this may be one of those things that has a very narrow game range and will be something you roll your eyes about when you find it in a couple of months in the bottom of your sock drawer.
  • 1 month later...
Here's a Tobii update. I got mine about a week ago. I use triple monitors, which exceeds the Tobii specs. It works just fine in the center monitor, but falters in the left and right monitors. Fortunately, in F1 you're focusing your attention on the center screen anyway, so that's not a drawback at all. I like the eyetracking because it improves vision to the apex. I find it helps me stay on line and I'm not turning in early or late as frequently any more. I did have to move the monitors closer to the steering wheel so there is around 32 inches between my eyes and the screen. This bothered me at first, but I quickly got used to it. One last thing...I only drive in cockpit mode without any HUD or other crap on the screen and the CleanUI feature (which makes the MFD, for example, fade away when you're not looking at it) is great. 
I tried FaceTrackNoIR with rFactor 2 a few months ago, and my advice would be: don't do it.

I know it's not the same game, but the sensation would still be the same - it's very disorientating with your world moving, instead of just your head. It won't be possible to race well like this. I tried Oculus a few years ago, and it made much more sense to me, and driving was a lot more logical, as your world stays in the same direction, with only your head moving.

I know Codemasters don't support Oculus, but honestly I'd say between tracking and screen only, I'd recommend screen only. I got an Acer Z35 screen instead, so the extra width on the sides helps a bit.
Ho3n3r said:
I tried FaceTrackNoIR with rFactor 2 a few months ago, and my advice would be: don't do it.

I know it's not the same game, but the sensation would still be the same - it's very disorientating with your world moving, instead of just your head. It won't be possible to race well like this. I tried Oculus a few years ago, and it made much more sense to me, and driving was a lot more logical, as your world stays in the same direction, with only your head moving.

I know Codemasters don't support Oculus, but honestly I'd say between tracking and screen only, I'd recommend screen only. I got an Acer Z35 screen instead, so the extra width on the sides helps a bit.
I personally don't know if VR goggles would be that good for me, since I'd have to use all the buttons blindly.
Still a shame this kind of features is not available on consoles (with the exception of the PS4 of course) VR is not my thing (not yet) because it's not possible yet to adjust the oculus/focus which means I have to wear reading glasses using it. Without made me sick in no time. i do however think Ho3n3r (is that a new Star Wars caracter) is right.

Archived