Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Japanese Grand Prix

Recommended Posts

There was always one DRS-zone at Suzuka.
What a circuit. And probably one of the few things our Seb, Seb Vettel and I have in common: We all love this circuit.
I love watching races at Suzuka, but I can't stand driving the first sector on any game.
I agree @RevolvingPrawn Suzuka's one of my weakest tracks on the calendar as well and like you it's mostly that first sector that does me in going to be a nightmare in those new cars I think. The track also being quite narrow which doesn't leave room foe mistakes makes it a tough unforgiving place much like Monaco which again I don't like. I prefer high speed tracks with width which is why I probably tend to do best on the Tilkedromes as people call them around here as I'm particularly solid around Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@sjsharp2010 Well I wouldn't call it a weak circuit for me, I generally do pretty well there in VRL :p I just don't enjoy the first sector, it's no fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There was always one DRS-zone at Suzuka.
What a circuit. And probably one of the few things our Seb, Seb Vettel and I have in common: We all love this circuit.
I'm impressed you remember my immense love for Suzuka from our league racing days. On the other hand I did used to bleat on about it quite a bit haha. They were some races we had. 

Sadly I think the Seb Vettel's immense record at Suzuka may be slightly compromised this weekend. But the optimist inside me still hopes that if there's any place Seb could pick up a victory between now and the end of the season, Suzuka is certainly one of his better (if not best) chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@sjsharp2010 Well I wouldn't call it a weak circuit for me, I generally do pretty well there in VRL :p I just don't enjoy the first sector, it's no fun!
yeah it's that first sector that does me in too the rest of the lap I can handle just the first sector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caterham believes a new front wing that it will bring to the Japanese Grand Prix should lift it clear of main Formula 1 rival Marussia.

The Leafield-based team is hoping to raise itself off the bottom of the constructors' championship in a bid to secure lucrative commercial rights income.

It delivered the first part of an update package in Belgium in August, and team principal Manfredi Ravetto claims that new parts should keep Caterham pushing forwards from this weekend.

"We are planning to run a new front wing in Suzuka and this should allow us to catch, and to properly catch up, on the main mid-grid pack," he told AUTOSPORT.

"We don't see Marussia as a direct competitor any more.

"We expect to catch up on Sauber and Lotus."

Pretty big talk from a team with no points scored ever, who are on their 3rd team principal of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, that upgrade package really helped at Spa, didn't it...

You know there's only been one time this season where a Caterham has finished ahead of both Marrusia's, which was Singapore where Chilton had problems and Bianchi got mugged off by the safety car...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Something interesting I just found. I'm doing the race preview for my blog and I've found out that the all time lap record at Suzuka is held by Michael Schumacher set in the 2006 season. What happened in the early 2000s with the V10s for the record not to be set by them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fIsince08 said:
Something interesting I just found. I'm doing the race preview for my blog and I've found out that the all time lap record at Suzuka is held by Michael Schumacher set in the 2006 season. What happened in the early 2000s with the V10s for the record not to be set by them?
Nothing. With Schumacher at the wheel the 248 was just a beast around Suzuka. Until the engine blew up that is (sorry MSC fans). 

But anyway, add me to the club of people who think Caterham are just a tiny bit over optimistic about their new upgrade. The only way any update to the front wing would get them above Marrusia is if the current front wing was made of wood. Which, having said that for Caterham, it probably is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:
Something interesting I just found. I'm doing the race preview for my blog and I've found out that the all time lap record at Suzuka is held by Michael Schumacher set in the 2006 season. What happened in the early 2000s with the V10s for the record not to be set by them?
Nothing. With Schumacher at the wheel the 248 was just a beast around Suzuka. Until the engine blew up that is (sorry MSC fans). 

But anyway, add me to the club of people who think Caterham are just a tiny bit over optimistic about their new upgrade. The only way any update to the front wing would get them above Marrusia is if the current front wing was made of wood. Which, having said that for Caterham, it probably is. 
But Schumi was at the wheel of the 2002 and 2004 cars as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike96 said:
Speaking of Caterham..

https://twitter.com/Formula1Paddock/status/517364516506451968
That would make a great article for sniffpetrol.com!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"There have been unfounded and unsubstantiated rumours concerning actions against 1MRT, the entrant and owner of CaterhamF1.

 

An action was threatened yesterday against a supplier company to 1MRT. This company is not owned by 1MRT and it has no influence over the entry of CaterhamF1 or the entrant.

 

Also contrary to uncontrolled rumours, all operations are currently in place at Leafield and the race team is doing its preparation in Japan"


Caterham statement on the website, but High Court Enforcement Officers have this on their website: http://thesheriffsoffice.com/articles/breaking-news-impending-sale-of-a-formula-one-vehicle-and-equipment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mike96 said:
Speaking of Caterham..

https://twitter.com/Formula1Paddock/status/517364516506451968
"We don't consider Marussia our competitiors." OOOOOOOO, now I get what they meant by that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jiggy said:
mike96 said:
Speaking of Caterham..

https://twitter.com/Formula1Paddock/status/517364516506451968
"We don't consider Marussia our competitiors." OOOOOOOO, now I get what they meant by that.
And they said that their target now is Sauber and Lotus.. Now I get what they meant by that ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep, financial incompetence.


I do have to say, I want to laugh at Caterham, but I can't help feeling bad for the people who worked their asses off there and had to deal with mismanagement and several more examples of people taking their efforts and turning it into a joke. Oh well, at the end of the day, it's still F1 and this is also a part of it. Cruel world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jiggy said:
Yep, financial incompetence.


I do have to say, I want to laugh at Caterham, but I can't help feeling bad for the people who worked their asses off there and had to deal with mismanagement and several more examples of people taking their efforts and turning it into a joke. Oh well, at the end of the day, it's still F1 and this is also a part of it. Cruel world.
unfortunate but true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
F1 represents capitalism in it's most cruel form. The richest teams get more and more money, the ones struggling less and less until social Darwinism kicks in and we'll end up with only the top teams. However, it doesn't end there. Even with just top teams around, there'll have to be that one top team who'll struggle to keep up eventually ending up like all those HRT's and Caterhams.

Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It'll be an iPlayer race for me anyway. No chance I'm getting up at 7am or earlier on a Sunday :p
Why get up when you can stay up. Go out on Saturday night and when you get back just wait for the race to start. Problem solved. It has some flaws, but that's my plan :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×