Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Japanese Grand Prix

Oh my, that's just awful. As you said Seb, the fact the JCB actually left the ground is crazy. I hope he makes a full recovery :(

That impact was awful! I really hope he recovers from that. The tractor was actually reversing at the time so he might've missed it if it wasn't. It doesn't even look like the car is slowing down as the wheels weren't locked or anything, very scary.

Hughesy said:
That impact was awful! I really hope he recovers from that. The tractor was actually reversing at the time so he might've missed it if it wasn't. It doesn't even look like the car is slowing down as the wheels weren't locked or anything, very scary.
I think it's safe to say we  all echo those thoughts

I'm confused, isn't the roll hoop part of the chassis and meant to be really strong?
What part of that is confusing for you?
The roll hoop is meant to be strong enough to not shave off like it did for Bianchi is it not?

I'm confused, isn't the roll hoop part of the chassis and meant to be really strong?
The roll hoop is meant to be strong enough to not shave off like it did for Bianchi is it not?
under normal circumstances in a normal crash yes but against a JCB it's not going to stand much chance

The roll hoop isn't built for that sort of impact.

tbh the only way I can think of that would have prevented Bianchi's accident would have been to send the safety car out first to neutralise the field and then recovered Sutil's car given we knew Sutil was fine anyway. I think under these weather  conditions in truth this should have been done anyway

tbh the only way I can think of that would have prevented Bianchi's accident would have been to send the safety car out first to neutralise the field and then recovered Sutil's car given we knew Sutil was fine anyway. I think under these weather  conditions in truth this should have been done anyway
Safety car did go out first then the Medical car.

Safety car/medical car going out was a reaction to Bianchi's crash

APR193 said:
Exactly the safety car should have come out when Sutil crashed not when Bianchi did

APR193 said:
Exactly the safety car should have come out when Sutil crashed not when Bianchi did
Easy to say that now. Car was well off track, was a clean impact with the wall no debris came anywhere near the track. I can't remember ever seeing a safety car in that sort of situation. It was a freak accident. Unfortunately now I fear they're going to go ott and bring a safety car out all the time

APR193 said:
APR193 said:
Easy to say that now. Car was well off track, was a clean impact with the wall no debris came anywhere near the track. I can't remember ever seeing a safety car in that sort of situation. It was a freak accident. Unfortunately now I fear they're going to go ott and bring a safety car out all the time
Agreed, that normally wouldn't be cause for a safety car, and it's way too easy to look back and say now there should have been one. But had Bianchi not crashed, it wouldn't have been abnormal for no safety car, nobody would even be talking about it now.
Saying that, I do think the procedures should be reviewed as to what happens in a yellow flag section.

I'm hoping that F1 can copy the yellow flag 60mph zones that were used at Le Mans. Honestly that seems like the best way to control a section of the circuit without breaking up the racing, whilst also keeping a certain part of the circuit a lot safer.

Former F1 doc Gary Hartstein made a good point in one of his blogs: double-waved yellows were being shown in the danger zone. They mean "slow down and be prepared to stop". If Jules was going fast enough to aquaplane, he wasn't obeying that.

This is not a criticism of him in particular - none of the drivers slow down enough for double yellows, because if you're the only one who obeys them properly there's a huge disadvantage when nobody else does. As Hartstein says: human beings are on track and at risk in double yellow zones. Before we start looking at knee jerk safety reforms, get the drivers respecting the safety systems that already exist. Get them obeying the 'spirit' of the law ("how slow must I go to keep everyone safe?") rather than the letter ("how many tenths must I slow by to avoid punishment?").

Britpoint said:
Former F1 doc Gary Hartstein made a good point in one of his blogs: double-waved yellows were being shown in the danger zone. They mean "slow down and be prepared to stop". If Jules was going fast enough to aquaplane, he wasn't obeying that.

This is not a criticism of him in particular - none of the drivers slow down enough for double yellows, because if you're the only one who obeys them properly there's a huge disadvantage when nobody else does. As Hartstein says: human beings are on track and at risk in double yellow zones. Before we start looking at knee jerk safety reforms, get the drivers respecting the safety systems that already exist. Get them obeying the 'spirit' of the law ("how slow must I go to keep everyone safe?") rather than the letter ("how many tenths must I slow by to avoid punishment?").
What is the normal speed for that section? He was doing 130 mph when he went off.

fIsince08 said:
Britpoint said:

What is the normal speed for that section? He was doing 130 mph when he went off.
Nico was doing about 160 mph in the dry in qualy at the same point. Given it was wet and Bianchi wasn't in anything like a Mercedes, he was probably pretty close to the limit as he was doing around 130mph at time of impact with the JCB

I think they need to reconsider the SC rules, every time the crane has to go into the circuit -> safety car.

Here's a better idea To those who watched Le Mans this year , wasn't the slow zone a good idea ? I think they should try and implement this in some way. At least when it's wet anyway. 

Le Mans is a massive track. F1 circuits are not.
Yes , but how would that make it any harder to implement ? If they're forced to but on the pitlane speed limiter between certain marshal posts it would be do-able. If anything , shorter circuits would  make it easier to implement. ( Unless I'm forgetting something)

I too think slow zones are generally a good idea. They're not for all situations, and drivers also simply need to remember to respect the flags properly, but slow zones are also extremely sensible, especially when there are workers on the outside of fast corners. They're fair, safe, effective and easy to enforce. They would be a welcome tool in any Race Control room.

The pit limiter sounds like a good idea. The thing is you have to find solutions that don't include constant SC's, driver safety is very important but at the same time, SC's all the time are not the answer, you could have races where it is really stop and start, leads constantly get wiped out, wasting laps behind a SC, which always stay out 1 or 2 laps too long. Imagine if you had 4 or 5 accidents, that could mean 4 or 5 SC's, which isn't the answer IMO, that would spoil it a bit. 4, 3 lap SC periods is 12 laps wasted. 

So yeah, pit limiter idea is good, it will keep leads in tact too. 

Here's a better idea To those who watched Le Mans this year , wasn't the slow zone a good idea ? I think they should try and implement this in some way. At least when it's wet anyway. 
I mentioned the same thing above, and @JensonBottom it doesn't matter how big the track is. I still consider it to be a better idea than pushing the safety car out, cars frantically pitting, and then still going at high speed to actually catch the safety car.