Sign in to follow this  

Designers/Artists show off your work!

On a forum full of car/automotive/motorsport enthusiasts, are any of you budding designers or artists?

For me, Car design is the perfect mix of my passion (cars) and skillset (drawing/sketching). Studying Automotive design at Uni, hope to be in full time employment in the future.

Here's a link to some of my designs: garyjpaterson.deviantart.com

Great thread! I think this should be used for anyone to show off any art they've done. We used to have something like this on the old forum and some of the stuff was awesome!

I'll try and get some images of my recent stuff together soon for you all to see.

#2, has Merc like rear lights. Nice mix of curves & angles

#3 looks like a Nissan, to me, while #1 reminds me of an Aston Martin!
Also, the some of the sketch lines are a bit confusing, like big sheets of metal coming of the car...

#1 Looks like a cross between an Aston Martin V8 Vanquish and a Nissan GTR, pretty badass.
#2 Deffo a Merc rear end. Maybe a little too short  and pointy for me but still cool.
#3 Easily my favourite. Love the curves and the way the roof becomes part of the rear. The only part I'm not big on is the pointy part by the front wheel arch, otherwise that'd make a gorgeous car.

I have some stuff to show you in the next couple of days hopefully, it's from my art A-level project and I hope you like it.

Hughesy said:
If its as good as those scissors above then I'm sure we all will :p
No surprise you love those "scissors"  :p
It was meant purely in a way that the scissors are like one of those pictures with the squiggles all over the place, where if you stare long enough you see a train or something. Everybody, stare at the scissors.

Hughesy said:
If its as good as those scissors above then I'm sure we all will :p
No surprise you love those "scissors"  :p
It was meant purely in a way that the scissors are like one of those pictures with the squiggles all over the place, where if you stare long enough you see a train or something. Everybody, stare at the scissors.
Yes of course bud :p  ;)

That looks awesome!, only ruined by the Ford badge :p

j/k

Mind you, if Ford made that I'd buy it! You have some serious talent ;) Looking at your blog and there's some awesome stuff on there. I love that little Renault, I'm pretty sure you'll be designing cars for a company at some point.

Can i ask, what do you learn in Automotive Design? Just left high school and having a gap year whilst i decide what to do and had been thinking about doing something like this

Can i ask, what do you learn in Automotive Design? Just left high school and having a gap year whilst i decide what to do and had been thinking about doing something like this
Tough question :smiley: Well, you learn how to design cars, i know rubbish answer. 

I study at Swansea Met Uni, although Coventry is the most well know for automotive design. I chose Swansea due to the fact its a much smaller course (around 20 people in our year), so you get a lot more one to one tuition.

A lot of it is self taught, i mean if you're not practicing sketching/rendering at home you're not going to be as good as those who do. You get taught all the practical skills, sketching/rendering techniques, clay modelling and also some theory such as Vehicle tech. The downside is you do have to learn some fairly irrelevant stuff, architecture movements and such.

I'd say most of the teaching is just done with practice, but the Uni gives to opportunity to practice with all the right facilities.

Tough question :smiley: Well, you learn how to design cars, i know rubbish answer. 

I study at Swansea Met Uni, although Coventry is the most well know for automotive design. I chose Swansea due to the fact its a much smaller course (around 20 people in our year), so you get a lot more one to one tuition.

A lot of it is self taught, i mean if you're not practicing sketching/rendering at home you're not going to be as good as those who do. You get taught all the practical skills, sketching/rendering techniques, clay modelling and also some theory such as Vehicle tech. The downside is you do have to learn some fairly irrelevant stuff, architecture movements and such.

I'd say most of the teaching is just done with practice, but the Uni gives to opportunity to practice with all the right facilities.
Aye, i sorta guessed you learned how to design cars :P 

Had a look on the uni website, looks like its quite a posh uni :L

Do you do a lot of 3d modelling and stuff on the computer?

Haha, believe me its not posh! Yeah we did a bit of Autodesk Alias, which is typically the software the pros use for modelling. Its fairly complex, and very different from 3D polygon modelling you usually see for making game assets. Some people put a lot of focus on 3D CAD modelling, and while i like it, im better at the clay modelling so i tend to stick to that.

Haha, believe me its not posh! Yeah we did a bit of Autodesk Alias, which is typically the software the pros use for modelling. Its fairly complex, and very different from 3D polygon modelling you usually see for making game assets. Some people put a lot of focus on 3D CAD modelling, and while i like it, im better at the clay modelling so i tend to stick to that.
Sounds an alright course. I prefer the 3D modelling to anything else, just find it so much easier and fun to use, although that Alias program looks a bit harder to master than Inventor was :L

Sounds an alright course. I prefer the 3D modelling to anything else, just find it so much easier and fun to use, although that Alias program looks a bit harder to master than Inventor was :L
Yeah i remember inventor, i wish all 3d modelling was as easy and intuitive as inventor.

Tried to go for more of a marker rendering look for this one.

http://garyjpaterson.deviantart.com/art/Photoshop-Practice-Shooting-Brake-496717971