Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

Codemasters are working on more than one Rally game to be released according to the hints :)
More than one! I would file that firmly in the rumour tray.
Don't try to deny it ;)

I'm one of the few that actually loved the gymkhana in dirt 3, but only the playground, I wasn't much of a fan of the competitive stuff in the career modes, with the exception of the time attack bits. I thought the format was much better in showdown, it was just let down by the arcade handling and the assists you couldn't turn off.

I would quite like to see a return of at least some landrush in the new game, but if is sacrificed for good rally/rallycross/trailblazer gameplay then I wont be too disappointed ;)

I am a hardcore rally fan, I love the point to point stages but I have to agree I did like the Gymkhana, it was good as a get away from the competitive stuff if you know what I mean.
The time attack bits were good, it felt great when you put together not only a good quick clean run but also one that looked spectacular on the replays! :)

I want... 

More right hand drive models

H-shift and sequential moodel loads

More rally

Longer, narrower stages - the rare wide section is fine.

Large variety of surfaces and countries

'Levolution' due to other cars - stuff like gravel being thrown onto roads or stage deformation because of weather and/or crashes. etc.

Dynamic weather

Some freak/unexpected weather

Realistic weather effects

Livery editor

No overlap - the occasional reverse is ok.

Full pikes Peake

Multiple day rally with service parks after every few stages

Carried damage 

More levels of damage - damage should have real consequence, but for more casual players they should be able to tone it down to something like the previous dirt games.

Multiple handling models to choose - default can be a balance of arcade/sim but there should also be an option of simulation

Optional Auto-reset.

Its been suggested that i post this here:

Inspired by the Raid events in DiRT where you are driving huge Dakar Rally style support trucks:

What if there were a 'minigame', ie not being the main attraction of the game, but just a cool fun side misssion, where you have to race as fast as possible in your massive Dakar Support Truck to your broken down teammate, repair it and carry on racing. Points will be awarded for your finishing position, as well as your repaired teammates position!?

Don't know if thats a silly idea or not, but i'd enjoy it! Let me know if anyone else likes the sound of this.

Make auto-reset optional - i want to be able to fully enjoy crashes.

More physical map - if i tumble downhill, i should roll several times before being stopped by a tree or something, instead of being reset after a few rolls or falling through the map.

Add more forks and 'confusing' and twisty sections - i should be able to take wrong turns or 'get lost' and, if that happens, i want to lose all the time it takes me to realise, turn around and get back on track instead of being reset straight away.

LOADS more particles and also particles affected by weather e.g. rain makes them soggy and dense while intense heat leads to dust staying longer.

reflect the trails in the mirrors too - if there's lots of dust being kicked up, it makes no sense for me to still be able to see what's behind me.

some optional road/city segments between stages - maybe add some other AI and police who could cause delay if your car is not road legal (too damaged or for some other reason not road legal) which could lead to stage penalties for arriving late.

Some repairs may take too long and also cause delays - again, late starts and penalties for arriving late.

Make some sort of playground to chill out in with local, splitscreen and online multiplayer, and bring some of the previous online modes back.

Make only the rally compulsary, anything else you add should be optional.

gfRally said:
Ill keep adding to this Post as I find stuff:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/329373/dirt-4-will-focus-on-authenticity-after-showdown-says-codies/

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dirt_3/news/codemasters_developing_multiple_rally_titles_for_2014.html
This page has good info: http://n4g.com/channel/dirt-4

CarBoyCam said:
With regards to gymkhana. Give us a playground again, but with more simulation handling it should make it much better to practice slides and precision driving. There wasn't much of a training purpose to the DC compound in DiRT 3.
You ain't seen this then I take it?

http://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM

The whole point of the free roam was to learn how to do mad stuff like that then take it to Outbreak or Transporter even Cat and Mouse.

Nothing annoys people more than the little 180 spin off a ramp and head the other way stunt (0:44 onwards). they sail straight over your head and you can escape. or the backflip up to the top ramp inside (@ 05:30) or the transfer that follows just after it.

I spent most of my time there doin what's in that vid plus plenty more lunatic stuff like 360 spin through 2 containers in a row, finding new and interesting parking spots up in the rafters of the powerstation like this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125538184

The whole point of the freeraom was to practice car control, once you are able to pull off stuff like that your racing skills improve dramatically. When you push beyond the limits you become comfortable at the absolute limits of control plus you react better and faster when you DO go beyond them.

There's another good escape on the other side of the tunnel as well!

And I totally agree, practicing here paid off loads at winning in outbreak and transporter. I remember getting chased by a friend in outbreak, and I only escaped him by doing a crazy reverse spin through the 'washing machine' stunt area in the corner of the parking lot by the power station! I just spent hours practicing tricks and throwing my car through tiny gaps at high speed! I really hope to see some kind of return of this kind of stuff

Agree with the majority on here of basically a better simulation of rallying.

Longer and narrower stages is a must for me, watch clips of rally Portugal and Mexico the stages are so tight and twisty its a real challenge.

Another must is to not reset 5 metres off the track, personally any reset ruins it for me, I want to take a wrong turn at a junction and have to be able to make my own way back.

Finally Spectators hear them from inside the car, however don't make a mistake of putting them straight on at a 90 degree bend, that would never be allowed in real life!

Other then that just make it as realistic as possible!

I'm just so happy the forums are here again! This is a good thing, that way I don't have to disturb the team with my ideas. Instead I can leave them here. 

Also give more rally plx! 

I've just remembered some of what @KickUp mentioned months ago in an interview with a website. (does anybody have a link to that interview?)

Paul spoke about the need for the game to teach the player about the sport, car behaviour and dynamics, driving technique and surfaces. Many players do like the plug in and play aspects of recent games and the next game should also allow for it. However, a lot more satisfaction can be gained if the game presents a challenge aided by gaining knowledge about world of rally and rallycross.

I'm not sure how this can be implemented, but my wish is to see quite detailed technical information about rally rules, rally car types and classes and help with car setup. I kind of think of myself as quite handy in technical stuff and follow motorsport technology and would love to see some elements of technical info in the game.

I don't know if that would appeal to many players, but I'd like to think in general players want to be challenged and feel as if they're learning - in my view gaming with no learning or challenge can sometimes be a waste of time.

I realise that this would be yet another aspect of the game to research and implement for the devs, but if the game is heading for more authenticity and back to CMR roots perhaps this would fit in well.
There's more than that tucked around the internet - surprised you guys haven't found them all yet. I did see a guy on the PlayStation forums put together some bits but he was still missing a little.

I wonder who that was..  :-\"

Brilliant thread guys! Just had a read through it, and it's got me hyped again  :D

(I used to 'lurk' the old forums ages ago, first chance I've had to have a look at these new shinny ones)

I wasn't quite sure where to post rally videos...

What do you think of such a camera angle? Looks a bit high, but it definitely delivers a sense of speed! (Scary.)

http://youtu.be/I4Uyvebw3Fg

I wasn't quite sure where to post rally videos...

What do you think of such a camera angle? Looks a bit high, but it definitely delivers a sense of speed! (Scary.)

http://youtu.be/I4Uyvebw3Fg
I saw the thumbnail and thought "Oh cool, like the visor cams Simon Pagenaud does for IndyCar!" *Reads the title*. "Simon Pagenaud French Rally Visor Cam 2014".

...Man I love Simon Pagenaud.

Re the angle itself: pretty cool to watch for the sense of speed, as you say, but I'm not keen on the field of view. Certainly I wouldn't want to drive with an FoV like that. It's just too wide, and while that's handy for peripheral vision it's not great for looking down the road. If this was spread across three monitors though it would maybe be pretty cool if it was a bit lower and further forward. :)

dotmartin said:
I'm just so happy the forums are here again! This is a good thing, that way I don't have to disturb the team with my ideas. Instead I can leave them here. 

Hey no man, don't think that we love your ideas, you should post up that one for the cameras and see what everybody thinks :)

Any camera that Dirt 1/2/3 offers is fine with me though, no more actually needed, better game content on the other hand... hmm.... :D

You guy's should go full out on the next title. :)>-

dotmartin said:

Hey no man, don't think that we love your ideas, you should post up that one for the cameras and see what everybody thinks :)
Yeah, I guessed that was the case. Please direct me to them cameras! :)

Have you tried the Swedish DiRT Cake recipe I gave you? 

Longer and narrower stages is a must for me, watch clips of rally Portugal and Mexico the stages are so tight and twisty its a real challenge.

Another must is to not reset 5 metres off the track, personally any reset ruins it for me, I want to take a wrong turn at a junction and have to be able to make my own way back.

Finally Spectators hear them from inside the car, however don't make a mistake of putting them straight on at a 90 degree bend, that would never be allowed in real life!

Yeah, any reset ruins it for me, too.

And speaking of spectator noise, how about a some different types of non-vehicle AI? Like different types of spectators,

spectators doing different things, larger groups on iconic marks that are included in some stages, but don't push it as far as naked people running in the snow.

Also, how about some wildlife? some cows, bull, oxen?, and other creatures depending on the country/track. they are among the dangers rally drivers face.

And, some non-racing transport e.g. random bike/quadbike, horse-riders etc.

If you're the first car on the road, you could come across closed gates.

Some of these are bound to be frustrating, so maybe they could be optionally toggled in a 'hazards' menu like,

Animals    On/off

gates        On/off

riders/bikers on/off

Forgot to mention...

LOTS of mod support, like GRID 2 did.

provide livery tools, vehicle and track addition/construction tools, other stuff

Also, if you won't include a simulation handling model, then maybe give modders the means to make their own handling models and redistribute them among the more hard-core rally fans. would be much appreciated.

Or maybe add one in a patch

dotmartin said:

I might be a bit strange in that I care about replays, and enjoy watching them. Especially in the DiRT series when the car gets DiRTier and DiRTier. :) So my idea is for a replay or spectator mode that is based on how the sport of rally has been depicted on TV lately. Especially when following a Power Stage in WRC events. 

First you get to see the first contestant lines up on the starting line, and goes of at the end of a count down. Then you get to follow that car on the stage, preferably with onboard-, road side cameras and helicopter shots. When it is time for the next car to go, either you cut to the starting line, or there might be some kind of split screen or something of that nature, where you can see the next crew wait for the count down and the cut back to the first car. And so on. 

When the first car goes over the finish line the time shows up on screen and you get to compare that time to the next car making it's way on the stage. When the car crosses the finish line the times are compared and the fastest time gets to be compared to the next contender. 

I have found this to be a very nice way to follow a rally stage on TV, so I just thought it might work in a game as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Kfl34hOoI

789ifyz said:

Yeah, any reset ruins it for me, too.

And speaking of spectator noise, how about a some different types of non-vehicle AI? Like different types of spectators,

spectators doing different things, larger groups on iconic marks that are included in some stages, but don't push it as far as naked people running in the snow.

Also, how about some wildlife? some cows, bull, oxen?, and other creatures depending on the country/track. they are among the dangers rally drivers face.

And, some non-racing transport e.g. random bike/quadbike, horse-riders etc.

If you're the first car on the road, you could come across closed gates.

Some of these are bound to be frustrating, so maybe they could be optionally toggled in a 'hazards' menu like,

Animals    On/off

gates        On/off

riders/bikers on/off

I mean that all sounds crazy but can't imagine it being too difficult to execute really! When you approach a closed gate do you have a choice of ramming it or watching your co-driver go open it and argue with stewards later :)

The biggest mistake of the Dirt trilogy never fixed
Shortcuts, wallride, fake times...cheats
Is really discouraging that top 30-40 times for each stage are cheating
Many people buy the game just because of set a good lap time, that the real competition for some people, so PLEASE, no more cheat times!!!!!

There should be something against cheated times, like getting dropped automatically from top time boards if the sett time is far under an acceptable sett time (keep that time hidden from everyone) for a specific track.
If #37 does 1:24.34, its very strange if #36 ends up with 56 seconds all of a sudden.

The biggest mistake of the Dirt trilogy never fixed
Shortcuts, wallride, fake times...cheats
Is really discouraging that top 30-40 times for each stage are cheating
Many people buy the game just because of set a good lap time, that the real competition for some people, so PLEASE, no more cheat times!!!!!
I've got times in the top 20 (360) and I haven't cheated.