Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

CarBoyCam said:
With regards to gymkhana. Give us a playground again, but with more simulation handling it should make it much better to practice slides and precision driving. There wasn't much of a training purpose to the DC compound in DiRT 3.
I'd love to see a modern version of the rally school from Richard Burns Rally.

I was just looking at the wishlist on Page 3, and noticed it had 'No flashbacks' on it.

Now to me I think this is a bad idea. Particularly if you have some younger people playing the game.

For example I was playing split screen with my 11 year old niece the other day, and she kept crashing, but at the touch of a button she was reset back on the road, and could carry on (and crash again!) 

Just keep the option the same as DiRT3 where the player has the choice to have Flashbacks on or off and how many they can have.

Flashbacks is certainly a feature that should come back, it makes the game much more accessible for people than without.

Personally id vote for a > yes.

And no, i dont crash THAT much... :D

If you can't get Ken Block himself to sit down in front of a T500RS wheel and complete all of the Gymkhana challenges without rage-quitting (and get it on tape and post it on youtube) then you should omit Gymkhana from the next Dirt game. 

With an xbox 360 controller and assists + gymkhana-specific-assists turned on, most of the gymkhana stuff in Dirt 3 is quite easy. But I think many of the people who will pre-purchase or day-one purchase the next Dirt game don't play like that.

And why is it whenever Block or Pastrana or whoever else you could get does an appearance at a press event and sit down to play the game... it looks like they suck. If they were really involved and invested and cared about making a good game don't you think they'd make it a point to show more skill in their game at a press event?

Prawn01 said:
@Rallycamereman , I'm totally with you on the TV Style replays. Would be nice for taking screenshots and making videos for Youtube.
@Prawn01 and @Rallycamereman , I have to agree with the replays, but I have to admit , I didn't used it often,,, I just watched in once and then I never use it again... I think personally that codies should more focus at the game modes and the game it self instead of the replay ;-)
Many people use the replays to learn more about what they did right or where they messed up so they can get faster times in their next attempt. I think there should be 2 replay-style options. Cinematic which is pretty much how it is now and... I don't know what to call the other one. But the other one would be purely realistic camera angles set up specifically to help you see if you had good or bad lines and where you messed up.

Please just have a rally focused game, like the good old Colin McRae games but with up to date cars, handling, stages etc also more than 6 locations would be good

blockquote class="Quote">
Azoresst said:
... don't be so sure.
@justbiglee Wouldn't be great if you had two announcements on the same day ;)
No it would be a bloody nightmare :P

As much as I'd of loved to it wouldn't really be fair to either game, both deserve their day in the sun.
And when is the day of "next" DiRT game? :P
Nice try ;)
@justbiglee, announce it whenever you are ready, but I would prefer the actual RELEASE to be in 2015 rather than 2014

Also please make the next Dirt game available for sale in all countries via Steam. I have had to re-purchase Dirt 3 multiple times :'(

First steam wouldn't even show me the game in their store so I had to buy it from Direct2Drive. 

Direct2Drive went out of business, was bought by gamefly and then when I logged in to the new service the 1 game I couldn't re-download was Dirt3 :(

E-mailed custservice@codemasters.com about this and all they said was there was nothing they could do. :(

Travelled to the U.S. Logged in to steam and only then would steam show me Dirt 3 available for purchase. Bought it. Went back home and a few months later Dirt 3 just disappeared from my inventory.

Bought a new videocard only because it was supposed to come with a code for Dirt 3 and Dirt Showdown. There was no code in the box. :(

Please don't put me through this pain again with your next game. Just put it on steam and make it visible and purchasable globally!

Ahhhh, 'Dirt Mudsport' sooner rather than later, lovely!  Thanks justbiglee :)

The biggest mistake of the Dirt trilogy never fixed
Shortcuts, wallride, fake times...cheats
Is really discouraging that top 30-40 times for each stage are cheating
Many people buy the game just because of set a good lap time, that the real competition for some people, so PLEASE, no more cheat times!!!!!

Every track should have a absolute minimum time threshold. If the time is below that limit it should not be posted to the leaderboards. Instead a replay file should be uploaded somewhere the community can download and review it and if it seems like a genuinely fast time with no cheats it will be approved and posted to the leaderboards and a tiny patch/auto-update can be released to move the minimum time for that track down to 0.75 second less than the community verified world record. Any times less than 0.75 seconds faster than the previous
verified world record will go on the leader boards automatically. But any times more than 0.75s faster will need to be verified again. 

And/Or reset all world records every 6 months.

KickUp said:
Leaderboard issues are something I really want to address. I'm sorry there is nothing we can do about it in previous games but I am confident we can do something about it in future. As for cuts, I'm a little more torn about that. As a rally driver the fastest way is not always on the road. I do however think that we can employ some more crafty level design techniques to ensure that the cuts that are taken are more inline with what is seen in real life rather than cutting between trees in a forest. Risk versus reward is the key. Hope that sets your minds at ease.
Put some invisible "gates" on the tracks. Any car that doesn't pass through all the gates can't have it's time uploaded. I'm sure there'll be a way to hack around that but for the average non-hacker who just likes looking for cuts it would stop them... Maybe we could even show them their illegal time when they look at the leaderboards but nobody else would ever see them.

789ifyz said:
Why not? That would be fun.

I think I'd personally ram into it without bothering to slow down, (unless it's miles into a stage in career/tour mode, then I'd have flashbacks/rewinds turned off, and restarting a stage would break the momentum).
PETA would have a fit. 

I think the most recent Driver: San Fran game had a magical feature where every NPC would somehow, someway, avoid being hit by the car at the very last micro-second. Would like to have that for spectators, marshalls, videographers, and wild-life. It still brings a smile to my face when I see people running across the road in Richard Burns Rally.

@thinsoldier‌ I am sure there is a DirtFish rally school connection possibility.. Can't complain they have subies... So I'm an automatic fan.. But Higgins Rally School is closer to codemasters offices (UK)

I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the next version of my fav game but I'm not as extreme as many of you - a fan of the games (D2&3) rather than the sport necessarily. I want a game that is challenging but, most importantly of all, it needs to be fun. Fun enough to be battling out the forum time trials with my lad or bringing the boys around for a laugh over a few beers. I don't want to see an arcade game but I'm not sure I want to see a full on sim - if I need to be spending hours going through tuning, recce stages and then blow out every time I run wide 30s into the stage, I'll be absolutely gutted. It won't be for me (nor likely the masses). It's a fine line and I don't envy Codies one bit.

Things I'd like to see:
Custom livery editor
Livery publishing
Improved sound - the sound of gravel flicking around the wheel arches in Assetto Corsa is amazing, those little effects all add up
Dynamic weather that alters the handling
Better representation of bumps and undulations
Better dust, dirt, rain effects
None of that gymkhana nonsense
Lydden Hill. I don't care if none of the other tracks are real-life but you need this one and all of the rallycross cars from that golden era (although Pikes Peak pre-tarmac would be nice)
More locations
No repeating sections of track
Assuming tuning is being expanded, a proper tuning guide that takes you through some basic changes and explains what has happened and how the car will react differently

Good luck to Paul and the team - they have an impossible mission!

PS... Been now for 2 weeks in New zealand and those roads are amazing..... Really should put the WRC rally of New Zealand in the new rallygame again!! Just did the southern east coast heading now to the west, and later northern island Auckland so thats where the real wrc stages are! 1 word; amazing over here!

Since people are leaving their wishlist for their perfect DiRT game I guess I should too.

So here it is:
Bigger differences between car classes (Group B didn't feel 'wily' enough, and most of the 4WD rally classes in general felt too similar)
Custom livery editor tied in with gameplay (sponsor objectives etc)
If Gymkhana returns, I want ONLY skill and speed competitions like in Showdown, NOT the style-based events in 3
More stages!
Narrower stages! The Monte-Carlo DLC was the only rally worth racing in DiRT3 and that makes me sad.
Full-blown championships, like in the Colin McRae games.
More co-drivers! Even if as DLC!

Gerbie said:
Flashbacks is certainly a feature that should come back, it makes the game much more accessible for people than without.

Personally id vote for a > yes.

And no, i dont crash THAT much... :D
Definately agree with this; Flashbacks make it easier for the casual gamers and can be switched off for those of us who like a challenge!

I've got yet another wish:

Asynchronous multiplayer mode where a rally can be defined for players to compete it whenever is suitable for them.

For example a player can define a rally by selecting stages, defining service schedule, car class, weather (dynamic or pre-defined). The stages can be either from one location or across all locations.

The rally would be given a name and would be easy to invite your friends or everyone to participate in. There should also be a feature where the player can save the rally set up for use later (kind of like set ups in the F1 game).

The key to this feature would be that the rallies would be completed be driving stage after stage (with car service in between) only ONCE (no re-runs) or with a specified number of re-runs (best time counts).
The total for the rally would be determined at the end and a leaderboard would be created.

Such a feature would be very much like a real rally where you don't really compete next your competition, but you drive when your time comes.

The challenge would come from pacing yourself to avoid crashes or non-finishes. Of course DiRT 3 allowed the user to define rallies when playing live online. This mode would allow the players to compete at different times and compare results.

I guess a number of games have such asynchronous (is that a right name?) multiplayer modes, but I think it lends itself perfectly to a rally game.

... don't be so sure.
Care to elaborate? :)

I'm confused Lee... How would a DiRT game fit into 2014 schedule?
I guess we could see an announcement in November about a 2015 release?

PS... Been now for 2 weeks in New zealand and those roads are amazing..... Really should put the WRC rally of New Zealand in the new rallygame again!! Just did the southern east coast heading now to the west, and later northern island Auckland so thats where the real wrc stages are! 1 word; amazing over here!

I would love to do that rally. Have you been / are you going to Whaanga Coast?

@justbiglee, announce it whenever you are ready, but I would prefer the actual RELEASE to be in 2015 rather than 2014 
That's interesting to hear, what makes you say that  @789ifyz

Just on the flashbacks thing that was brought up at the top of the last page, what if there was a better way rather than just rewinding a mistake? 

What if we could teach you how to take the corner better? 

Do you not secretly hate yourself every time you flashback? (I do it in Forza a lot and often regret it after, I feel like I should have just learnt from my mistake)

Just an idea.

@justbiglee, not sure but for some reason, it just feels... right. Of course, I wouldn't mind a preview and/or demo towards the end of 2014.

789ifyz said:
@justbiglee, not sure but for some reason, it just feels... right. Of course, I wouldn't mind a preview and/or demo towards the end of 2014.
@justbiglee, there are no formatting options on mobile for the forums and paragraph spaces are automatically deleted... Some fix in the near future?

Whilst I am thinking of it, I'd like to be able to see the settings the host has set on any specific multiplayer game at the main 'list of multiplayer games available' screen - especially whether setup has been enabled (although not a fan of overly complex setup options, I only race multiplayer if setups have been enabled!). This could be achieved using some simple icons. Currently, having to join a game only to see that the host's settings aren't my cup of tea is a pain in the... ;)