Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

@justbiglee, announce it whenever you are ready, but I would prefer the actual RELEASE to be in 2015 rather than 2014 
That's interesting to hear, what makes you say that  @789ifyz
I'd rather you tell us about the game this year and release it next year, like with DiRT 3 it was announced in September 2010 and release in May 2011. Don't want a half finished game being released straight after it being announced.

Codemasters, have you considered moving some of the requested features outside of the shipped game itself?

For example instead of trying to build a livery editor that can be used with an xbox controller you could instead build a website/web-app/smartphone-app that is a livery editor.

Even easier you could just give the community detailed specifications on how to make a proper livery and then have a website where we upload a zip file and code on the site just needs to validate the contents of the file. Then it goes into a waiting list and someone at codemasters or in the community will check it to make sure there's nothing vulgar about it and then it will show up in the game as a free download (console & PC). Also on PC we could just drop our own zip file into the game folder somewhere and use it personally if we don't want to share it with the full community. We could instead share it only with friends by e-mail/dropbox. 

It would be great if the process for modding the game was simplified.

You say you're building a new dirt game and updating Grid 2 based on user feedback. Have you considered taking a good long look at all the mods people have made for Grid & Dirt and just giving people the things they wanted so desperately that they figured out how to create a mod to make it happen?

A web-app would also be a good way to do MastaVonBlasta's asynchronous rally definition idea if implementing it within the game menu would take too long.

Ginginho said:
Whilst I am thinking of it, I'd like to be able to see the settings the host has set on any specific multiplayer game at the main 'list of multiplayer games available' screen - especially whether setup has been enabled (although not a fan of overly complex setup options, I only race multiplayer if setups have been enabled!). This could be achieved using some simple icons. Currently, having to join a game only to see that the host's settings aren't my cup of tea is a pain in the... ;)

I'm with you on that one. I only race multiplayer with setups on too. Hate the default setup.
Another thing that i'd like to see on multiplayer, is the ability to kick the host too. I mean I've joined so many games in the past where the host hasn't been active, and it's so damn annoying.

Just on the flashbacks thing that was brought up at the top of the last page, what if there was a better way rather than just rewinding a mistake? 

What if we could teach you how to take the corner better? 

Do you not secretly hate yourself every time you flashback? (I do it in Forza a lot and often regret it after, I feel like I should have just learnt from my mistake)

Just an idea.
How exactly would something like that work? Sometimes it's just silly things that make you crash, such as lack of concentration. Most of my crashes are just down to turning in to late.

I kept doing it on GRID2 I must admit.

I don't get the people who want this car and that car etc. - basically more content. What will you do with your shiny cars without good driving?
The only most important thing is physics.
It would be a shame if 2014's Codemasters can't make a game with a physics engine on par with the one made by 2004's Warthog.

I don't get the people who want this car and that car etc. - basically more content. What will you do with your shiny cars without good driving?
It would be a shame if 2014's Codemasters can't make a game with a physics engine on par with the one made by 2004's Warthog.
I kind of see why people want lots of cars, Forza and GT6 have kind of added to that kind of mentality (which isn't a bad thing).

Its a case of working out which people prefer, do you want to "collect them all" and have 100's of cars at your disposal or do you want a small collection of cars that you feel a real sense of ownership over?

justbiglee said:
Its a case of working out which people prefer, do you want to "collect them all" and have 100's of cars at your disposal or do you want a small collection of cars that you feel a real sense of ownership over?
A humble offering of familiar cars that you can tune yourself to suit specific rallys, rather than a massive garage to plough through trying to recall that elusive blue one that saved you seconds on the hairpin and handled Ouninpohja so well.

I do have a limited memory capacity though, so maybe i'm biased.

I just want to start by asking for NO baja buggies or any american form of off road racing.
Dakar Rally and vehicle classes maybe, 
Has to be a full compliment of Group B cars, INCLUDING THE LANCIA 037 (if possible lol)
S2000
R5
S1600
Group A
ERC Class??
Rallycross, modern and retro classes
A safari rally with safari spec rally cars (see Celica wrc safari as an example)
A collection of Modern era WRC cars from the last 15 years 
Longer, Mobil 1 Rally Championship style stages, longer Rallies
DIRT 1 style career mode, with a choice of possibly branching off to rallycross?
Use some old rallies like The Circuit Of Ireland (using 80's/90's stages)
A nod to the man himself, Colin McRae and maybe Richard Burns in the form of cars they competed in and/or a special Championship?

Just cant wait for DIRT 4 lol, Proper, Ken Block free (Now he signed with ea/nfs) rally sim lol

cromie89 said:

Just cant wait for DIRT 4 lol, Proper, Ken Block free (Now he signed with ea/nfs) rally sim lol
I wouldn't mind if Ken Block was associated with the game, he does a lot of cool stuff to promote a genre of racing that I love. If there is some kind of value of having a known name on the packaging Ken is as good of a candidate as any other. That said, if Codies can bring back the good ol' McRae feeling I wouldn't exactly cry either. 

Or why not put Henning Solberg on the cover, he is a cool dude, just listen to him after finishing a stage! :) 

Just on the flashbacks thing that was brought up at the top of the last page, what if there was a better way rather than just rewinding a mistake? 

What if we could teach you how to take the corner better? 

Do you not secretly hate yourself every time you flashback? (I do it in Forza a lot and often regret it after, I feel like I should have just learnt from my mistake)

Just an idea.
@justbiglee

I would agree a teaching tool, would be great, and yes I feel guilty using flashback, so I rarely do.. I don't feel guilty reseting the event and starting over (and over thought)  :D

I kind of see why people want lots of cars, Forza and GT6 have kind of added to that kind of mentality (which isn't a bad thing).

Here is a thought for the wish list on that subject.  I don't know how licensing details are worked out, but you could offer manufacture program cars or 'shells'.  Ford does this with their Fiesta R2 Rally kit (by M-Sport), I believe Subaru does this via Vermont Sportscar (here in the states).  

So we start out much like some other race-sims with a plain starter car that has the lowest specs for the class we can afford (again here in the US Ford has a relatively inexpensive R2 program).  But this would be a factory fresh car, and not a grassroots car.  

I only really know well US rally and cars available to us here, so I am speaking from a US perspective just as a example.  

BUT, if you start out as a grass roots level, the budget car can be anything, but popular here are older subarus, i.e. legacys 89-94, volvos 1980s, Saabs 1980s, and a lot of BMWs 80-2000.  Maybe these cars show a little rust and abuse/history to start off.  It could cost money to beautify the car if wanted.  Maybe this is a level that you can get certain spare or donor cars for parts or shells.  

Not everyone can start out with 100k+ car and budget, besides fixing those cars cost more (in game too!).

Sponsorships could play a part in cash-flow too, contingencies could add to income.  Could start out as local small business donates to you a old volvo, that has their name on it.  The game then gives you a starter budget for maintenance and money for a beginner class at a rally school.  

Eventually getting more sponsors (decals) and working your way up.  You could also add your own heritage graphics (555) to your blue subaru, etc which you don't get money from but it makes it your car, but also adding sponsor stickers gets you income.  

Jumping way ahead you progress and show your worthy you could pursue a factory team/sponsor and get that support and budget.  Maybe get a ear-beating if you wreck to much! :-t

So you could progress though life as a rally driver.  

One thing that I haven't really liked lately with some of codies games is that you get your first race and can practically roll the car over the finish and immediately invited to a top team, or as soon as you enter your name you get the same reward.  I don't think it needs to be overly complicated but having a choice as to what team or class you join is a good starting point.  But a lot of times its predictable and 'canned' story branch that gets a little annoying, feels like you didn't really work for it, you did the minim and got a passing grade just to graduate, to a TOP TEAM.. whaooo... ugh not so gratifying.

So there are a few of my thoughts, as always I know balance needs to be made, but I don't think the above is out of reach or not fun.

I'd like to have longer and more stages per country like in reallife, about 10 stages(or more if there is enough time) and 13 minutes long or something. It would be harder and you need to set a beter strategy to end the rally well.

And to tone down the dificulty you could shorten the tracks and give them less tracks before a service stop or for the whole rally, for example 30% of the stage(about 4 minutes or something) and only 6 stages to drive. to shorten a stage, you just place the checkpoints somewhere else and put the service stop on a good spot in the 4 minute range.

Put the main focus on Rally and Rallycross.

More realistic roads in Width and put holes, also harder corners/sets of corners.

Looking at what they did with dirt2 and 3 I wouldn't have much hope, seriously.

They will do what they have been doing since then:

a) Catering the cancerous casual audience only.

b) Many cars but only a handful of tracks. So what do you want those many cars for then?, to drive them on the same 4 tracks all the time?

c) Rally..., lol, still remember those dirt3 lies:

1)  Very short tracks.

2)  Tracks are too wide (on rally lol). Why?, to not put things too hard to the lazy slow brains of the casual beings, so important for them, so let's dumb down everything so the sheep is happy. And what about the rest of the audience?, nothing, you have to swallow It, like always. You swallow and the casuals win over and over again.

3) Oh, lots of cars and categories to choose from, but..., just four contries with a couple of repeated routes to drive on?, oh look!, stage two is stage 1 but now reverse and with rain (rain that didn't even affect handling, or snow), thanks for the variety!!

And I could go on.

Seriously CM, with Project Cars incoming, and the several AMAZING rally mods for Assetto Corsa that are yet to come, you will have to do your best in order to convince your old and true fan base from the CMR era that you really want to go back to your roots; fan base you have been kicking in the a** and ignoring for 3 times in a row already.

Surprise us with Dirt 4. Can you live up to that challenge actually?

dotmartin said:
cromie89 said:

I wouldn't mind if Ken Block was associated with the game, he does a lot of cool stuff to promote a genre of racing that I love. If there is some kind of value of having a known name on the packaging Ken is as good of a candidate as any other. That said, if Codies can bring back the good ol' McRae feeling I wouldn't exactly cry either. 

Or why not put Henning Solberg on the cover, he is a cool dude, just listen to him after finishing a stage! :) 

I've never really warmed to Henning; he has just never seemed as likeable a personality as Petter. It would be cool to see a new game supported by a recognised driver, but it certainly won't stop me buying it if there isn't a drivers name on the box!

cromie89 said:

Off topic, but give this a watch if you have a few minutes spare:

http://youtu.be/Vg2c7Pp7H0Q

It might change your opinion of Block; much of what he does is to keep his rally efforts funded.

I personally would like to see lots of cars in the next game - and obviously have the ability to drive them all - but a career mode where you have to buy (and perhaps maintain) a handful of cars could be interesting.

NB: When I say "lots of cars" in the next game, I mean lots of genuine rally cars: not just random cars to bulk up the numbers!

tbtstt said:

It might change your opinion of Block; much of what he does is to keep his rally efforts funded. 

That just reminded me of this interview with Ken from earlier this year, its worth a read and might change the opinion of some of the people that dismiss him right away.

justbiglee said:
tbtstt said:

That just reminded me of this interview with Ken from earlier this year, its worth a read and might change the opinion of some of the people that dismiss him right away.

Good link, I hadn't read that before. Block has a segment in the "Easier Said Than Done" documentary as well:

http://easiersaidthandonefilm.com/

I would say the film is essential viewing for any rally fan! 

I read this too, it is sad here in the US for rally.  However its finally getting TV coverage, we will see if it generates income for drivers and more spectators at the events.  But the typical US sports fan is a bit lazy.

hola said:

b) Many cars but only a handful of tracks. So what do you want those many cars for then?, to drive them on the same 4 tracks all the time?

1)  Very short tracks.

2)  Tracks are too wide (on rally lol). Why?, to not put things too hard to the lazy slow brains of the casual beings, so important for them, so let's dumb down everything so the sheep is happy. And what about the rest of the audience?, nothing, you have to swallow It, like always. You swallow and the casuals win over and over again.

3) Oh, lots of cars and categories to choose from, but..., just four contries with a couple of repeated routes to drive on?, oh look!, stage two is stage 1 but now reverse and with rain (rain that didn't even affect handling, or snow), thanks for the variety!!

And I could go on.

Seriously CM, with Project Cars incoming, and the several AMAZING rally mods for Assetto Corsa that are yet to come, you will have to do your best in order to convince your old and true fan base from the CMR era that you really want to go back to your roots; fan base you have been kicking in the a** and ignoring for 3 times in a row already.

I want to answer this directly as I can understand why there is a lack of faith when it comes to our ability to produce a title that speaks to what you want from a DiRT game.

As I have said before on this thread, I came to Codemasters to make the best Rally game ever made and I don't believe I have achieved that yet. A large number of factors contributed to the decisions that were made that shaped the evolution of the DiRT Franchise. I fought hard to get more Rally content back into DiRT 3 and to try and steer the game back towards the series roots but I will be the first to admit that, while the game was a commercial success, what we created fell short of many people's expectations for a proper rally experience.

Since DiRT3 I have had the opportunity to experience rallying first hand co driving in a 1995 Subaru Impreza, competing in a number of gravel rallies in Wales, England and Scotland. This coupled with the opportunity to get a group of highly talented individuals, including @jontucker working at Codemasters to help us shape the future of the franchise, has allowed us to hone in on what is truly important when creating an off road racing experience.

Very little in life can compare to the experience of travelling through a forest at speeds of up to 100mph and it is absolutely my intention to capture that experience with the next title. I agree that our tracks need to be longer, more technical and narrower but there is much more that we can do on top of that to help deliver on the experience that you and many others have been crying out for.

I honestly cannot wait to get this experience into your hands. I think it will be a huge leap in the direction that you and many in the community want us to go in. I accept it will not be perfect and that is why I want to get it in front of people so that we can listen to your feedback and refine the game to make it even closer to your expectations.

Please understand that I am a rally fan, a motorsport fan and a gamer too. I'm certain we want the same thing. I don't expect you to change your opinion based on what I am writing here but please have some hope that things will change.

KickUp said:
hola said:

1)  Very short tracks.

And I could go on.

I want to answer this directly as I can understand why there is a lack of faith when it comes to our ability to produce a title that speaks to what you want from a DiRT game.

As I have said before on this thread, I came to Codemasters to make the best Rally game ever made and I don't believe I have achieved that yet. A large number of factors contributed to the decisions that were made that shaped the evolution of the DiRT Franchise. I fought hard to get more Rally content back into DiRT 3 and to try and steer the game back towards the series roots but I will be the first to admit that, while the game was a commercial success, what we created fell short of many people's expectations for a proper rally experience.

Since DiRT3 I have had the opportunity to experience rallying first hand co driving in a 1995 Subaru Impreza, competing in a number of gravel rallies in Wales, England and Scotland. This coupled with the opportunity to get a group of highly talented individuals, including @jontucker working at Codemasters to help us shape the future of the franchise, has allowed us to hone in on what is truly important when creating an off road racing experience.

Very little in life can compare to the experience of travelling through a forest at speeds of up to 100mph and it is absolutely my intention to capture that experience with the next title. I agree that our tracks need to be longer, more technical and narrower but there is much more that we can do on top of that to help deliver on the experience that you and many others have been crying out for.

I honestly cannot wait to get this experience into your hands. I think it will be a huge leap in the direction that you and many in the community want us to go in. I accept it will not be perfect and that is why I want to get it in front of people so that we can listen to your feedback and refine the game to make it even closer to your expectations.

Please understand that I am a rally fan, a motorsport fan and a gamer too. I'm certain we want the same thing. I don't expect you to change your opinion based on what I am writing here but please have some hope that things will change.

DiRT 3 was a good mix between Rally, Rallycross and Head to head and even Gymkhana was good to let your hair down with a few mate so don't fix what ain't broken.

DiRT 3 was a good mix between Rally, Rallycross and Head to head and even Gymkhana was good to let your hair down with a few mate so don't fix what ain't broken.
lol

lol
DiRT 3 has a fair bit of rally stages.

If you look to rally games before 2000 and now, there where much more tracks and longer tracks back then and much more diffcult if i can remember correctly. I remember doing a rally of 20 - 25 minutes in Network Q Rac rally, i thought it was Chirdonhead. You needed to drive clean(what i wasnt able to do back then :P) to finish the rally. Nowadays i don't have that anymore.

Maybe they need to split the franchise one time they make a showdown part with gymkhana, drifting and that kind of stuff and the next time they make a rallysport part or something with rally and rallycross.

If you look to rally games before 2000 and now, there where much more tracks and longer tracks back then and much more diffcult if i can remember correctly. I remember doing a rally of 20 - 25 minutes in Network Q Rac rally, i thought it was Chirdonhead. You needed to drive clean(what i wasnt able to do back then :P) to finish the rally. Nowadays i don't have that anymore.

Maybe they need to split the franchise one time they make a showdown part with gymkhana, drifting and that kind of stuff and the next time they make a rallysport part or something with rally and rallycross.
They already created DiRT showdown with Gymkhana from DiRT 3 ;)

A 20 minute stage your hands would be sore after that haha