Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

For me aspects of the older Colin McRae games are what I'd like to see back.

In the Dirt games they never told you what the road surface or weather is very well so there is little need to change tires or think about slicks etc. This always happened in the early Colin games and affecting set up a lot. It also felt like weather changed in stages in Colin McRae rally.....it may not have but it felt like it. Colin McRae Rally was very challenging and really good. In fact I never completed the UK rally. One thing that has been missing across all has been car failure in stages.....tyres coming off or failed electrics. Just never seems to happen. I loved V-Rally 3 also. The driving physics weren't as good (Colin/Dirt games alway win that in my opinion) but V-Rally an ok career mode of starting out and working up to WRC. The Dirt games to me felt very routine after awhile and very repeatitive.

Not sure if it is already mentioned but i would love to see ´Live Routes´ in the new DiRT game. Similar like the ones in GRID2, 20-40 km of live routes, ever changing and never knowing how the stage goes, when a hairpin is just around the corner. I think it would be an awesome addition to the game because the stage is never the same. 

hoonhead said:

Not sure if it is already mentioned but i would love to see ´Live Routes´ in the new DiRT game. Similar like the ones in GRID2, 20-40 km of live routes, ever changing and never knowing how the stage goes, when a hairpin is just around the corner. I think it would be an awesome addition to the game because the stage is never the same. 

Liking that idea. Online would be even more epic then as you wouldn't know what type of junction was coming next. Well you would if you listen to your co-driver ;)

Dirt wishlist:   5)Last wish: Please don't make us "earn" vehicles and upgrades. It's just a redundant chore and wastes my time (some racers are not beginners) not to mention I just paid cash for what should be top shelf racing right out of the box.  Codies makes the best racing games by far, in my opinion and i hope they just keep getting better. Good job codies!!
But surely that's part of the challenge? Unlock able content increases the playability of the game.

Dirt wishlist:   5)Last wish: Please don't make us "earn" vehicles and upgrades. It's just a redundant chore and wastes my time (some racers are not beginners) not to mention I just paid cash for what should be top shelf racing right out of the box.  Codies makes the best racing games by far, in my opinion and i hope they just keep getting better. Good job codies!!
But surely that's part of the challenge? Unlock able content increases the playability of the game.
How about unlocking/earning cars for free race and buying stuff for career mode and getting the career cars customised and upgraded the same way as in career available in a separate garage for whoever's signed in, like it is in Forza 4 (and probably 5), except career vehicles and upgrades must be purchased and maintained out of player's virtual budget. This way they'll be more personal collection compared to other available vehicles and player's own collection is collected neatly together all in one place.

I love every single idea that has been posted on here, however, the whole gymkhana thing with the new DiRT's has annoyed me, I or we want a full on focused rally game, perhaps real difficult stages such as Wales, as me being from Wales you know what true rallying is, also I would like to see the reintroduction of FWD cars, and not just the new R3s etc, I would like to see old Novas, Corsas, Clios, old 90's kit car, the lot, I love DiRT 3, but I only like it for the Rally part, anything else I dislike to an extent apart from trailblazer, please codemasters, take note to what we want, also I agree with @Rallycameraman‌ with the camera shots on the inside of bends and tighter hairpins, a real use for the handbrake and real life shots, also I would like to see a sort of junior class go on, for those who have just got the game can start out in a sort of WRC academy style championship where they battle in R2 cars, that would be seriously competitive, especially for those who are already good drivers, with mixed capabilities, that would be interesting, one last thing, my friends always want to know how I can drive in such a style without crashing and winning the stage, well many times I have suggested a sort of co-driver sit in mode, where the pace notes are still normally read to you but your friend is sat in the passenger seat, something I would really like as abit of showing of could be involved as well, even in online sessions that would be cool as the two of you could pair up to defeat others and take a championship or something alike

My list Customize your car will be very funny, then it will be very nice if we can buy our car and personalize it all the game, then we can win money in stages and after get a better car and sponsors.. But the important things for me is the RALLY MONTE CARLO and the AUDI S1.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mount Hood, tallest mountain in Oregon. Can see it from almost every stage on Saturday. Breathtaking. <a href="https://twitter.com/OregonTrailRly">@OregonTrailRly</a> <a href="http://t.co/gVo2ygmWy4">pic.twitter.com/gVo2ygmWy4</a></p>&mdash; Colin Clark (@voiceofrally) <a href="https://twitter.com/voiceofrally/statuses/461937564727787520">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Look, I know Rally isn't really a big American sport, I understand.  But our rallies are different in that they are a little faster (straighter) kind of like Finland I believe.  Anyhow look at the above scenery, this is from this weekends Oregon Trail Rally near Portland Oregon USA.  Everyplace in the world but there are are a few races here in the US that are beautiful to see.  Just posting my thoughts and hope that some of this makes it into DiRT4.  Oh also, these stages tend to be really dusty... long dust trails... LONG dust trails (hint!)

Why not have multi-class results? You go to a real rally and there's everything from Nissan Micras to Fiesta WRCs to Grp B Metros. Let's say you're doing an S2000 rally and winning by miles, you'd still have something to race against if there were 5 or 10 WRC class times in front of you, maybe a few of them make mistakes and end up battling with the S2000s for overall position. You could also add some Grp N times or 2WD times that are slower than you. You don't have to show the other classes on stage like in Dirt 3, just make up some splits and stage times to show at the end of the stage like most rally games do.

I think it would be cool if they could allow some of the modding community to create their own vehicles and tracks and then these could get sent to to Codemasters for "approval" or something like that. After that they could be released in the same way as DLC is released and maybe half of the profit could go to the original creator and half could go to Codemasters. This way the creator has a financial incentive to create some really cool and original stuff and Codemasters has an incentive to go along with this since they will be losing out on money from not being able to make as much on their own DLC. I think this would be a really cool way to get a huge variety of new vehicles and tracks into the game and it also gives the modding community the ability to make some money off of their creations which I don't think they have the ability to do with any other game. I don't know if this would work at all but it would be really cool if it could.

doyley101 said:
Why not have multi-class results? You go to a real rally and there's everything from Nissan Micras to Fiesta WRCs to Grp B Metros. Let's say you're doing an S2000 rally and winning by miles, you'd still have something to race against if there were 5 or 10 WRC class times in front of you, maybe a few of them make mistakes and end up battling with the S2000s for overall position. You could also add some Grp N times or 2WD times that are slower than you. You don't have to show the other classes on stage like in Dirt 3, just make up some splits and stage times to show at the end of the stage like most rally games do.
I like that idea very much. Adds a touch more realism to the game that way.
It would be cool to do a rally like you do online or single player, with 5/6 different stages, but a whole range of cars mixed in to the results.

Maybe even a class structure could be implemented? So if you're doing a rally in a S1600 Clio for example, you'd be battling against other S1600 and 1600cc cars in your class, whilst you've got WRC and S2000 cars going for the overall win.

Just to give you an idea of what a varied leaderboard should/could look like in a game. These are the top 15 from the last BTRDA gravel rally here in the UK

Had a nice catch up with @Avenga76 here in Auckland! Soon i'll br back in Europe :)
It was cool to catch up with a fellow rally nut.

It would be great if in the next Dirt game there was an option to "save game" after each rally stage. Sometimes you just want to play one or two races and not 5+ rally stages without a save that can take a while.

The inability to save often is one aspect I really disliked in Dirt 3.

---------

Then of course as many others have mentioned there should be much more focus on Rally and having as much courses in as many different countries as possible.

Also make a career mode that only include Rally style events, no gymkhana or Baja buggies or other stuff that should be in a separate career mode, if at all in the game.

Lantea said:

It would be great if in the next Dirt game there was an option to "save game" after each rally stage. Sometimes you just want to play one or two races and not 5+ rally stages without a save that can take a while.

---------

Then of course as many others have mentioned there should be much more focus on Rally and having as much courses in as many different countries as possible.

Also make a career mode that only include Rally style events, no gymkhana or Baja buggies or other stuff that should be in a separate career mode, if at all in the game.

How many countries would you want though? It's not the official WRC game remember.

Just finished doing a time trial on every rally and rallycross track in Dirt 3. Here are a few random thoughts and hopes I had for Dirt4 while doing that.

The sounds from the cockpit are the most “informative”. But since i have a wheel I prefer to use the bonnet cam. There needs to be a way to have the cockpit style sounds available with the bonnet cam.

The bonnet cam would be more realistic if we could shift the camera to the left or right side instead of it being stuck in the middle.

Single player time trial/single race/practice should allow any car any track by default. We shouldn’t need a mod for that. Sometimes you want to drive a very slow car on the longest trailblazer track to get that “relaxed sunday drive” feeling. Sometimes you want to drive the fastest trailblazer or gymkhana car on the smallest rallycross track because it would be crazy fun. I think others in this thread have mentioned how fun it is to use any car any track in multiplayer.

Most of the rallycross tracks are not anywhere near as good as the tracks in Dirt 2. And I even have a few fond memories of some of the rallycross tracks in Dirt 1. IF there is any rallycross in dirt 4 I don’t think any rallycross fans would be upset if you just re-used the tracks from from Dirt1 and Dirt2.

For trailblazer tracks there should still be pace notes available. Like maybe in a practice mode there would be pace notes but in an actual trailblazer event there would not.  And for rally it should be possible to turn off pace notes if you want to. When I first got Dirt2 I let some 8 to 10 year old kids play it and they preferred to play it on mute. Within an hour they were matching or beating my best times without hearing any pace notes, without hearing anything. Pace notes were a turn off to them. There should be an option to turn them off.

There’s this one section in Michigan in Dirt 3 that feels very “real” very “out in the bush”. Dirt 3 rarely gives me that vibe. Dirt 2 did only slightly more frequently. But there was something about Dirt 1 that frequently gave me that “far out in the wilderness” feeling. I don’t know what it was but I’m begging your environment artists to go take a long look at Dirt 1 again and try to recapture that magic.

I have a mod installed that gives me some additional camera angles. I strongly prefer the 3 cameras it adds for cockpit view over the standard cockpit camera. It also adds front and rear facing birdseye views. These views were essential to me when watching replays to be able to get a perfect look at my driving lines and learn where I was having trouble and comparing my line to the cars ahead of or behind me.

It would be great if we could also spectate the AI in replays instead of being locked to only our vehicle. Live For Speed offers this feature I believe. Live for speed also has an amazingly good feature for steering with a mouse!

Please do not waste valuable time and resources on a fancy main menu system. I think the menu in Dirt2 and Grid2 had a spectacular visual style but the menus in Grid1, Dirt1 and Dirt3 were also very good and very quick and I think that actually makes them better. Although Dirt3’s menu system did have various places where it would pause and wait and waste time for no good reason. I would prefer a faster version of Dirt3’s menu over ANY other menu idea you might have.

On PC there needs to be better multiplayer chat interface.

The people at the sidelines at the starting line of a rally are so low quality. These are the only people you see clearly for an extended period of time (other than when you crash near a crowd). They should be higher quality. I mean, come on! The guy waving the flag has no shadow and his arm and the flag sometimes pass through the barricade! But the flag has a shadow! The humans just look so bad compared to the rest of the game. The ones at the starting line should be improved or removed.

Dirt4 Needs rain on camera/windshield effects like the F1 game.

I’ve just done every short rally in Michigan multiple times in a row now. They feel pointless. Pointlessly short. On a different day in a different car I might enjoy doing the same short section over and over for a few hours but today isn’t that day.

I love the speedometer in Dirt3. I also love how in Grid1 you could see the analog brake and throttle input around the speedometer. Being able to see that in people’s youtube videos was very helpful to me.

How many countries would you want though? It's not the official WRC game remember.
At least as many as there were in Dirt 2. And not necessarily "countries". Just varied locations would be good enough for me.

Dirt 2 had USA, UK, Morocco, Japan, China, Malaysia, and Croatia.

Within the USA Utah and L.A. were very different locations. 

Codemasters should bring the historic rallys back, put the circuit of ireland and the donegal stages into the next game, they should call it ( dirt rally legends ) have a list of rallying greatests drivers , for each driver have a list of rally cars they driving past the years between them, it be amassing if codemasters could do this.:)

I think for the online game play we should think about some new ideas, to keep the game more alive.
Something more then just racing/ rallying, more something to build your own career / charcter and level it by winning online races or something

Perhaps this is also nice to learn more about rallying for the new gamers,
to show in the game where its all about and what some changes do to the car:
For example what do u have to change when u go to tarmac? or have a lot of tarmac in a rally?

Tarmac Tech-Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_BlcS1xSTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkV37XJsCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvZFhEfY4M

Some car information, what special in it for a rally ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od-ZgVGQ4I4

Lantea said:

---------

As I said, as many as possible, it's always more interesting to race different tracks and each course in each country presents different challenges.

After watching the above videos posted by Thierry, it would be cool to have Argentina with the water splashes.

What I would like is more variety as far as the race courses go, in Dirt 3 it was quite limited.

I would rather have less car choice and more course choice if I had to pick one.

Perhaps this is also nice to learn more about rallying for the new gamers,
to show in the game where its all about and what some changes do to the car:
For example what do u have to change when u go to tarmac? or have a lot of tarmac in a rally?

Tarmac Tech-Special

Some car information, what special in it for a rally ?

@ThierryNeuville  

Those are pretty cool ideas.  My only suggestion to code masters, would be to make these quicker to the point.  *I* like them just as they are, but I know a lot of younger people that are impatient and would skip these quickly.