Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

CarBoyCam said:
With regards to gymkhana. Give us a playground again, but with more simulation handling it should make it much better to practice slides and precision driving. There wasn't much of a training purpose to the DC compound in DiRT 3.

I have to agree with this, Perhaps a small playground area with some technical stage in it, or perhaps better create your own playground / test area?

As for rallying, WRC teams usually have some test days before and after a rally, they use part of an official stage or a location where they can test different set-ups, for example in Spain they test for Mexico, in Finland they do a other gravel test. in france a tarmac test,

In the CMR 05 game there where a few "mini" test games to upgrade your engine and stuff it was a kind of playground/ test track...
Would love to see something like that again, to upgrade your rally car, or test a new set-up, tires, exhaust, dampers etc etc..,

Same can be done for RX only they usually test on the same race tracks they race on, so that would be a lot easier.

But some mini "test/upgrade" games at a small technical playground at different locations would be awesome!
What do u think @tbtstt and @CarBoyCam ? 

tbtstt said:
CarBoyCam said:
With regards to gymkhana. Give us a playground again, but with more simulation handling it should make it much better to practice slides and precision driving. There wasn't much of a training purpose to the DC compound in DiRT 3.

I definately agree with this. A playground where all the cars can be used would be brilliant; a nice big open space (and perhaps some tighter spaces) to play with cars and tweak car settings.

As for my wishes for the new game, a focus on rally and rallycross is my main hope. I would like to see European style rallycross properly represented, with real tracks and the correct race format. Rallycross race weekends implemented like the F1 games (i.e. where you do qualifying, heats and finals) would be my dream scenario, but I'll be happy with real tracks!

As for the rallying I would like to see longer and more varied stages, along with the return of back-to-back stages and the service park (copying the format of CMR 2005's rallies would be perfect!).

For both rally and rallycross I would like to see appropriate cars in real liveries only. Concerning the rally cars I would like to see World Rally Cars covering the period 1997 - 2010 in game, as this was a major omission in DiRT 3 (in my opinion!).

I would also like to see Pikes Peak return (in mixed-surface and all tarmac forms), though only after the above wishes have been fulfilled!

I find myself agreeing with @tbtstt very often! :)

World RX is getting bigger and bigger and is now attracting some pretty big names, they're signing good TV deals and the racing is bound to be rather awesome!
What they're missing is a great game, where the format would be closely represented, tracks would be accurate and most important of all the handling will be exciting and authentic. I hope that they don't give the licence to someone inexperienced with offroad/rally/rx games as building it all up from scratch would be crazy.
But then again Liam Doran was recording some video footage when he visited Codies, Codies devs went to Hell in Norway so there's a good chance we'll WorldRX in the next game! Fingers crossed!

It seems to me that Codies are moving in the right direction. They're dropping hints on where the next games are heading, they're inviting community feedback and overall they want to make the games people want to play.

I've been left disappointed with recent official WRC games and also with the way WRC is promoted.

World RX on the other hand are doing all the right things - especially if Codies get to include official RX features into their next game :)

With regards to a playground/driving training space: that would have been great to have, but if I were to choose between a couple of great rally stages or a car park with cones I'd go for the stages! The time it takes artists to create locations is very long and it costs loads of money. I think most of us agree that content of tracks and stages is hugely important for the next game.

But some mini "test/upgrade" games at a small technical playground at different locations would be awesome!
What do u think @tbtstt and @CarBoyCam ? 

I remember the little tests in CMR 2005 and they definately would be a fun inclusion: but only for money/XP/content rewards. I personally would rather the cars come in one specification only, earning upgrades for them is a bit arcadey for my liking.

Just my opinion though! :) 

I hope pretty much none of the "skillz" type stuff that was in showdown, / gymkhana in DiRT3 make it into DiRT4.

I am kind of hoping that now the franchise has split, all that stuff is kept for showdown 2, and that will mean more racing content for DiRT4.

Whether this is going back to the Colin McRae Rally roots, or keeping with the truck racing etc I actually do not mind - I love both - I am just not a fan (aka really dislike) anything along the lines of tony hawks skateboarding / 1080p snowboarding / gymkhana type style games, or random "party" games modes.

in terms of handling, I actually really like the handing model of the cars in DiRT2 and 3, but if it chose to go a little more sim that is fine too.

Carrying over damage accross multiple races would be pretty cool as well.

***but for goodness sake bring back the dashboard view, I was gutted GRiD2 ditched that***

Azoresst said:

- Less Arcade, more simulation;
- New engine with realism and good sounds;

Pretty much all I want from the next game.

Certain things I'd like included are

- Launch control for WRC Cars
- Unique stages (the occasional reversed stage is acceptable ;) )
- Real rally cross circuits.
- Tighter hairpins where possible.

And the biggest thing for me (certainly from my POV) is TV Style replays.

I don't want the camera rotating round the car, I want to see shots from a helicopter or the inside of a bend, or the exit of a corner. Mix it all up with on board shots, and I think the replays would look epic!

Oh and can I also add, I really quite enjoy Outbreak in DiRT3. It's a great fun game mode where you can, if you wish, just hoon a car around. If it was to be included in the next game though, i'd like to see the option to chose any class of car and maybe some more levels.

Oh and I also agree with @tbtstt with regards to Pikes Peak. I loved racing it on DiRT1 (I just hated the physics) so i'd love to see a return of the full hillclimb, and as Steve said with it being in current guise as full tarmac, and maybe when Vatanen did it in the 405, as full gravel.

@Rallycamereman , I'm totally with you on the TV Style replays. Would be nice for taking screenshots and making videos for Youtube.

I will put the wishlist we had at the old Codemasters forum (created by StrictlyDiRT3), as soon as possible online.
@justbiglee saved the list and I will put it in this thread shortly!

Prawn01 said:
@Rallycamereman , I'm totally with you on the TV Style replays. Would be nice for taking screenshots and making videos for Youtube.
@Prawn01 and @Rallycamereman , I have to agree with the replays, but I have to admit , I didn't used it often,,, I just watched in once and then I never use it again... I think personally that codies should more focus at the game modes and the game it self instead of the replay ;-)

• Narrower roads
  • RBR-like physics
  • Closer to simulation, but still a rally game.
  • Serious and simple design like CMR - no one speaking in menus like you're five.
  • Field of view adjustment.
  • Rally championship, rally-only career.

• Serious and simple design like CMR - no one speaking in menus like you're five.

YES! Please, please, pretty please Codemasters: no Christian Stevenson!

tbtstt said:

YES! Please, please, pretty please Codemasters: no Christian Stevenson!
I do agree with this too!

@Rallycameraman I could be wrong, but I don't think WRC cars have launch control in real life. From what I understand, then put it in first (with the clutch in), floor it and hold the handbrake. Then when the lights go out, drop the clutch, let off the handbrake and away they go. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is at present.

As for upgrades for the cars. Maybe perhaps have aero tweaks, stronger suspension to take more punishment over the hills of Finland? Also maybe turbos/engines which overheat less when full of snowbanks. :P

CarBoyCam said:
@Rallycameraman I could be wrong, but I don't think WRC cars have launch control in real life. From what I understand, then put it in first (with the clutch in), floor it and hold the handbrake. Then when the lights go out, drop the clutch, let off the handbrake and away they go. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is at present.

As for upgrades for the cars. Maybe perhaps have aero tweaks, stronger suspension to take more punishment over the hills of Finland? Also maybe turbos/engines which overheat less when full of snowbanks. :P
Yes they do have launch controle ;-) the C4 WRC has it for sure!

CarBoyCam said:
I don't know about the latest crop of World Rally Cars (the 1.6L cars), but the 2.0L cars definately had launch control. I read an article about the launch control on the last of the Impreza WRCars quite recently, which was describing how sophisticated the system was. Not only does it regulate the initial launch of the car, but it automatically upshifts from 1st to 2nd so the driver can concentrate on keeping the car in a straight line!

Rallycross supercars use launch control as well. If you watch onboard cameras before the start you will often see the drivers tweaking the launch revs. Thinking about it that would be quite a cool little feature to include in a game... ;)

The WRCars in DiRT 3 (the "Pro" class cars) actually have launch control, but you can't use it at the start line. If you come to a stop in the stage though, then hold the brake and accelerator down at the same time, the revs will be held. Release the brake for quick launch!

Certain things I'd like included are

- Launch control for WRC Cars
- Unique stages (the occasional reversed stage is acceptable ;) )
- Real rally cross circuits.
- Tighter hairpins where possible.

And the biggest thing for me (certainly from my POV) is TV Style replays.

I don't want the camera rotating round the car, I want to see shots from a helicopter or the inside of a bend, or the exit of a corner. Mix it all up with on board shots, and I think the replays would look epic!
We should probably get a camera man who likes rally in as an advisor, do you know any?

Ultimate wish: Less to none DLC content with a good loaded stock game like back in the day's that was worth every buck you spend on it.

Personally missing the day's were game dev's were not squeezing every penny out of someone's wallet.

Other than that: loads of different cars, and specially (long) rally courses.

The hunger to a awesome rally game has been going on for months now, and codies has what it takes, but can they deliver?
I certainly hope so.

We already had a wishlist at the old Codemasters forum, sadly we did not had time to save all the data we gather in the 3 years!,... created and maintenance by StrictlyDiRT3  but thanks to @justbiglee he saved this topic, so we can continue!

Sadly StrictlyDiRT3 didn't create a new account yet at this forum, so we still want to give him the credits for all the work! 

Because its such a long topic, I will try to split it up in 2 replies.

Updated wishlist:

- An experience that's real, authentic and pure.
- Serviceparks
- Test area - eg Higgins test area
- TC:s before stages and in service parks
- Staggerd starts but with realistic time between every car.
- Real "finish" in stages like in RBR.
- Create own liverys,
- Team Management
- Meet the press. (like in F1 2111 or like that)
- Real modern rallycars with true carmodel and skins.
- Real teams.
- Real car sounds.
- Real physics.
- Real pacenotes.
- Real life stages (or stages that feel real)
- Player made content
- Constant updates so the game never feels old
- Licenced events - ERC IRC WRC BRC etc
- Dynamic weather
- More mature game
- Longer stages
- More variaty in the stages
- Old cars like Group B
- Be accessible but also allow the options/scope to be a sim
- Real life car classes
- Progression where you work your way up through the ranks

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Be able to modify cars sounds files
Risk of retireing from stages with "tec", mechanical problems, and when we go off the road
See when the car in front of you goes off the road or retire (like in Dirt 3)
Much stage marshall, public/fans, media/tv-crew on stages like in real
Maps and stage info for every event to get the true feeling and maby a intro to every event
make us feel that we accual are a real pro rallydriver
Stage editors, a advanced for those who is really really good at it like some for RBR and one more simple for the amatuer but if it's one, go for the more advanced
include short road sections before every stage / TC (never been done and that would really do much for the realism)
Real championship with team,driver and co-driver championship points and stuff like that
A more advanced online mode with option for closed groups and championship mode
interact co-driver in some form (maby a more real AI co-driver who reads REAL pacenotes, talks to you before start of the stage, like how the first cuple of meters of the stage look like as in real, when its time to leave service, drive in to the TC and so on?)
Keep it simple and focus to get the rally part 100% accurate, no smash competition and like that as in Dirt 3!
Night,morning, midd-day,evening stages like in Dirt 3
option to choose between diffrent types of tires with real compund from D-Mack, Michelin and so on
A risk of destroy the tires or puncture if you drive off the road/ditches or drive to aggressive like in codies F1-sims
Diffrent typs of mix stages if the real ones look like that... gravel/tarmac and on snow let it be like often in real, gravel on some parts in the road
Make the stages look like a real rally road with "breaking marks", "slide marks" and even ruff in some parts
Team orders in championship mode
Shakedown before every event
Focus on quality rather than gimmicks!
Make the fans create their own liverys, stages, sounds and maby even cars like the modds to RBR to get the game to live forward when you at codies makes new games or make many updates with real liverys, stages/events, cars and so on, listnen to your fans who love the sport
Launch control and a switch from "road" mode to "stage" mode like the modern WRC-cars have and launch for N4 and so on (could be option for those who want's a hardcore-sim or for all without an option to switch it off)
Interact clutch option so we can use it in starts, hairpins and so on
interact to use after market handbreak, gearboxes and triple-screen
Real looking dust clouds after cars like in real that hang around in stages for a while... And then in som places when it's sunny,dry and not windy - "haning" dust! (never been done before) .....

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

interact "left foot breaking" / "Scandinavian flick" to the game and driver experience.
Real physics for it all as before or a option "switch" from easy,fun and arcade driving experience to "simulator" mode as in the creator of the game "RACE" from Sweden, as STCC, WTCC GTR and so on, so you can choose between a "lighter" sim or hardcore autentic rallysim mode in physics. And then it should be so near the real thing that acuall pro drivers can relate to their own real carhandel.
Long and medium sizes events with stages that is hard to memorize and to learn. You need to be good to drive after your co-drivers pacenotes to do good stage times.
A good and usfull community for gamers to share experiences, stages and addon/mods if we get this oppurtunity ofc.
Option to create and outfit your own driver with everything like background of the driver to the "look" of the person and choose between real overalls, shoes, gloves, helmets and so on (like in FIFA or NHL when you create your own person)
Have a system were you earn "money" to buy new cars, tires, fuel and so on
Championship mode as in the F1 games (F1 2011)
DLC to buy - real events from europe were the stages is copys from the real ones and the event it selfs (national championships events) and with "AI" who names is from the events and "drives their own cars"
Real cam option incar to only se the dash and windscreen for us who wants to play in sim mode with steeringwheel. And other great cam angle like between the seats, other drivers views without arms and steeringwheel, many diffrent outsides cams like diffrent sides of the bonnet, roof and so on. Heli-cam like in WRC or ERC. Co-driver cam.
Real looking camera views in replays like if we watch a real rally on tv.

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Qalify stage after some shakedown runs
a qualify cermoni like in real when you have to choose a starting position after how it goes in the qualify runs and when you pick starting position, you need to think tactic with your team, look at the stages in the event/ road conditions and wether forcast to get the right position to succeed in the event
have the option to choose from many real co-drivers from erc/wrc from diffrent countrys to read their pace-notes to us
let the stages get more and more destroyed after the cars pass by, espessily in corners and junctions
if you start first on the road, let it be clean and filled with much loose gravel and slippery as in real in gravel events and on snow events....And in snow, only slippery when you start first and when it's a "line" there will be extreme grip as in real. In tarmac clean, and after some cars, slippery in corners and junction as the car slide up gravel and grass on the road
Let it be seen that the cars in front of you has done all this!
Let it be "lines" in the road on gravel and snow stages after some cars, and there you have to drive to get the best grip, if you go out of the lines in these conditions, you drive in all the loose gravel or snow and you get some great slides and loose much grip!
A co-driver vocie editor or a game who is open to mod as RBR to get our own countrys co-driver voices if you cant create voices from many diffrent countries with real co-drivers.

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No "splitsigns" on the stages. As all erlier rallygames and even in RBR there is yellow TC signs when you got your splits, very unreal. Make that realistic insteed or only not use the TC signs for splits.
Wishes that you guys look back on your old games if you not can create "real" stages. We want real looking stages as we wrote on top of this list when it comes to roads,nature, effects, stage details and more, and in Dirt 1 for example there is som real good example in gravel sections of a real nice looking road and nature (only). Make that even more real then it's perfect.
Would be a nice graphic effect on some roads that there is diffrent typs of gravel, hard parts and soft parts with diffrent colour as in real. Darker for wet parts and dry gravel is light looking
As a wish for an event, BRC:s event in Wales Rally GB this year. (read that they are going to start after the WRC classes.
Would be nice to have a future like in EA:s Real racing 3 (only play that on Ipad). In that game, the oil level, brakes level and so on gets older and more bad after each race and you need to have an eye on the levels all the time and when it's get to low, you have to service your car and change all this things like on a real racing/rally car or street car. That would be a nice future to not only have to do the rally event service but after some events maby needs to change gears in your gearbox, put in new oil in your engine/gearbox/brakes, change your brake pads, make some updates in your engine if the engine has gone many SS miles and so on to not have the risk to retire in a event because you don't have check your car before the event

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Make a risk of get flat tires if you drive "ruff" or hit a stone inside a corner and so on, and the new wish from forum users, make the car suffer other damage if you choose to go the hole stage with a flat tire as in real on a long stage, make a tactic option in that case, to stop to change tire if you feel that it's a long way to the finish and the car will suffer alot if you don't.
With all damage on the car who is'nt cosmetic, make it cost alot of time on the stage as in real
make a option to choose to drive LHD or RHD in cars who does who come from countries there it is LHD or RHD cars (Im driving LHD cars in real and it feels very strange to drive RHD cars in games when in real there is a option to make that change!)
If there will be rallycross in the game, forum users want's licensed events from Rallycross RX (ERC) like in the rally parts there we want licensed events from the "old" IRC the "new" ERC, BRC or other national events. 

NEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WRC Ultimate Rallyteam idea " or something like that to get the game more "depth"
Proper/real equipment on the cars if there will be a Safari event and on night stages and so on. real looking equipment for every individual car like lightpoods and so on

In championship mode, let it be all real classes so you can see standings for the whole championship, If I compete in the R2 class, let there be AI who drives R3, R4/S2000 and WRC classes in the same time and co-driver and team standings as above. much info for the whole championship and events in it like retiering reasons and peneltys, stage times/splits and so on.

Jokerlap in rallycross rx mode if there will be some rallycross. 

- Real stage length like minimum of 3 min up to over 8min
- Variation in stages/sections like said before
- Upcoming FIA World Rallycross championship if there will be any rallycross
- Custom car numbers on vehicles
- Dynamic / changing time mid race / stage (Evening to night, night to morning...)
- More depth to driving surface (deep mud, deep loose gravel...)
- Spend time points on repairs, tuning, and tire changes between races. Players get 30 minutes of service time and they can spend to their desire. Repairs cost the most time, etc. (online)
- No rewind/flashbacks
- Car paint customization
- Ability to jump a rallycross start, with appropriate response such as disqualify or forced stop and go penalty on driver
- Money system to buy cars, upgrades, custom parts
- Damage carried over to next stage/race unless fixed (singelplayer and Online mode)
- Tire selection based on weather conditions, temperature, and surfaces
- More Hud configuration options
- If rallycross, same realism as we rallynuts wish for in the "rally part of the game/sim"
- Test area like Higgins, Sweet lamb rally complex or DirtFish Rallyschool were you can test and drive your rallycars and rallycrosscars as well
- Get a chance to edit the camera position in replay mode like in WRC 3 for an example
- "mini achievements" would be nice in the "test area", a mode/ fun mode to "learn"/ to have fun. To get a option to only test your car or get all this mini achievements
- Much narrower roads like in real
- Bert de Jongs mad crock" livery for the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC 05 if that should be in the game/sim
- That it has the option to switch in more difficult physics models for the hard core fan
- That the game is flexible enough to allow career progression by doing just the rally options
- That it has at least a few difficult tight twisty turny tracks that the hard core fan can enjoy
- Someone wants physics like in Dirt 3, some wants physics option like in SimBin sims and some only wants one physic model - hardcore with no assists
- As said before, some compare the upcoming game with your F1 series and want it to be like the F1 games/sims, in career mode and so on
- As many stages in one rally, as it is in real, up to 15-20 stages in one event
- Service after 2-3 stages as said before
- limited amount of NEW tires in one event as in real
- A service park as in the WRC, BUT begin very small as in real to build up the career to get to the factory tents/service parks
- Have your own garage to work in between events and in the service area, have a option to go in to your service bus/caravan to do some paper-work, media, sponsors and so on 
- Someone wants to have the "option" in the real career mode to begin direct as a factory driver. No "locked" game/sim, free option
- Proper footage recorder
- Transport sections before the TC at stage start and after the finish TC in rally, drive up to your start position before your race and drive in to the pit after the race if there will be rallycross in the game
- Longer endurance experience
- At least one "real stage" in every single event in rally
- Good and real looking tarmac stages from maby Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Holland, France, Czech or - ERC, BRC, SRC or some other good national championship
- Stages from New Zealand, Wales GB, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, the Monte, Germany, Acropolis, Japan, Australia, Portugal, Argentina, and many many other amazing Rallies
- Livery of Eldik "Merwede Springs" for the Subaru Impreza WRC S14 if that car will be in the game
- Livery for the Fiesta WRC - Mads Ostberg 2012
- Livery of Petter Solberg C4 WRC
- No one wants a game looking and feels as WRC series of Milestone! 
- To see the setup options, from tarmac to gravel etc

What if we could have a interactive service park, where you during the service break can move around to the other players teams and check out their drivers comments, overall position and team stats? Say if you after every stage can submit a drivers comment via text or audio about how the stage went, then the other players can get this up live during the service break - either by checking in on the other teams, or getting it on a scrolling tab when doing repairs to your own car. This could give a little "media feeling" to the rallying experience. Of course, this appeals a lot more to the hardcore player, than the regular who wants to get to the next stage as fast as possible, but I think it could be interesting!

- Option to adjust cockpit cam

My wish list would be a longer career. I thought DiRT 3 career was awesome but I want it to be longer. And a cool game mode would be a cross country rally.

My 2 cents (worth 1cent)

I have posted these to various Facebook/twitter/Instagram discussions on DIRT, but just want to add them here as well.

what about having american or other events where stages would have the 'feel' of particular events with certain key parts (like a certain cattle fence/jump) much like the mine shaft in the Australian WRC (old) event. Same could be done with Canadian Rally Championship, bridges/jumps etc.

Another thought was different Career paths where you pick the 2 -3 (rally and rallycross, or raid and baja, etc) that you want to compete for a Career? Maybe you would have to manage the scheduling (i.e. you cannot pick 2 events on the same weekend). It could be done in a simplified way.

What does anyone think some sort of service tent or transit stage be part of it? I keep thinking that your damage on a stage should be reflected at a service stop counting against $$ you have earned? you choose what is necessary to complete rally? transit (abbreviated of course) could be a just for fun and not count for or against, but ad to the some realism.

Lastly I would really like to see the ability to save your replay.