DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

I really hate exclusivivity deals with games, unless they are exclusive to the game *I* play.

Playing a little Assetto Corsa lately since RC 1 has been out, BTW: huge improvement, looking at some of the mods already and ran across this one:

http://youtu.be/ENU0FTP6DgQ

Haven't tried it myself yet.  But it seems like a nice try for the interim before the next DiRT.  AC seems to do a pretty good job with car physics.   Minus some of the over dramatic bumps, this mod looks good.  

AC's drift mode is spot on from my RL experience.

One thing that is very evident, you cannot take a predominantly tarmac race sim, and apply it to a rally game, no matter how good the mod is done.  There are too many elements that are missing and cannot be modded/added to the game.  Features like progressive dirt and dust buildup on the cars.  Mud, dust trails and some other visuals could be added, but their implementation would never be realistic and complete.  Obviously this biggest is the timing controls and codriver notes.  

Personally as far back as you can go with the Collin McRae series you always felt connected(?) with the road surface in some way.  You never felt like you where skimming over the roads.  So no matter how great a mod will be in a race sim, we can be assured that once the next DiRT is released nothing will compare to the dedicated rally sim experience.  In some ways it may be easier to mod a rally sim into a tarmac race sim, than the reverse (i.e. deleting or disabling features than trying to add new ones in).

Anyhow, I know this post is a little off topic, but to reign it in a little, has anyone played AC and maybe the mod?  What are your thoughts and experiences and does this change any of your wishlist for DiRT?  Any NEW ideas?

It just dawned on me, why don't we have this car in DiRT?

If Forza can get it, why can't a proper Rally game get it???  Colin McRae and Richard Burns started out in these, a lot of history there.  

gfRally said:

If Forza can get it, why can't a proper Rally game get it???  Colin McRae and Richard Burns started out in these, a lot of history there.  
The Legacy is a great call! (Though if I had to choose a Group A Subaru, I'd choose the Impreza! :smiley:)

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:

The Legacy is a great call! (Though if I had to choose a Group A Subaru, I'd choose the Impreza! :smiley:)

@tbtstt‌ 

Oh for sure me too, Impreza is my daily ride.  I kind of think the Legacy is ugly, but I would still like to see it in the game, as well as 22B and even the yet to be proven 2015 STI.   I would think that Codemasters has had a good relationship with Subaru over the years that these cars would be obtainable.  Licensing this stuff must be crazy expensive along with having a team modeling these cars, maybe just a pipe dream.  

I have been getting jealous of Microsoft and EA with their deep pockets giving them the ability to offer so many cars anymore. 

gfRally said:

Oh for sure me too, Impreza is my daily ride.  I kind of think the Legacy is ugly, but I would still like to see it in the game, as well as 22B and even the yet to be proven 2015 STI.   I would think that Codemasters has had a good relationship with Subaru over the years that these cars would be obtainable.  Licensing this stuff must be crazy expensive along with having a team modeling these cars, maybe just a pipe dream.  

I have been getting jealous of Microsoft and EA with their deep pockets giving them the ability to offer so many cars anymore. 

I personally don't want to see the 22B in the next game @gfrally: because the 22B isn't a rally car!  ;)

Ha, I love my Impreza, but I think you'd be hard pushed to argue that any Subaru is anything other than ugly! The Legacy has a lot of rally history though, so it would be great to see it in there if possible. 

I believe that Vermont will be switching to the 2015 (sedan) STI for the Rally America Championship, so hopefully any Open Class rally cars in any forthcoming game will reflect this (having said that, the hatch rally car has rather grown on me, so I'd be sad to see it go).

@tbtstt‌ 

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/2015-subaru-wrx-sti-super-production-rally-car-thrills-soa

and you are correct about 2015 for the new sti open car too,

yes i I miss the hatch as well, I have a love hate thing with the 2015, still not sure about looks.  

yeah I know some thing subarus are not really great looking, I don't know, some yeah, I think they just grow on my.  Lancia delta to me is really ugly but I appriciate its performance, but some thinks it's beautiful, each his own.  :smile: 

22b not rally?  

http://www.motormag.com.au/reviews/0905/legends-1999-subaru-sti-22b/

or or have I always misread this?  was the WRC car named differently?  if anything I mean subarus only 2door wrc car.

I do think there was a tweet posted by Jon Tucker months back that showed the STI wing and some sort of hint.  But I may be wrong.

gfRally said:
@tbtstt‌ 

22b not rally?  

http://www.motormag.com.au/reviews/0905/legends-1999-subaru-sti-22b/

or or have I always misread this?  was the WRC car named differently?  if anything I mean subarus only 2door wrc car.

I do think there was a tweet posted by Jon Tucker months back that showed the STI wing and some sort of hint.  But I may be wrong.
There is a lot of confusion between the 22B and the World Rally Cars of the era @gfrally. This is compounded by the fact that there are a huge number of online articles about the 22B that contain incorrect information. 

Officially there were 424 22B's (400 for the JDM, 24 for export). Of the 24 export cars, 16 were for the UK, 5 for Australia and 3 were prototypes. As with a lot of Subaru limited edition runs though, some of the numbers are a little hazy. It was originally stated that there were three #000 prototype cars (which were given to Colin McRae, Nicky Grist and David Lapworth), however a #000 was recently identified in the STI Mitaka showroom, which implies there were four #000 cars (I have subsequently read that David Lapworth actually got #400, but that's not been verified).

Numbers aside, the 22B was released in 1998 and was designed to emulate the look of the 1997/1998 Impreza World Rally Car. The two door, wide arch, Impreza World Rally Cars were on stages for well over a year before the 22B hit showrooms though. Even the name is a homage to the rally car: "22B" is hexdecimal for "555". 

Prodrive used a "S" number to designate the various generations of Impreza World Rally Car they built. The '97-'98 World Rally Car was the S4, the '99 World Rally Car was S5, the '00 World Rally Car was S6... you get the idea. (Prodrive also used a similar system for their Group N cars, except they are identified by an "N" prefix, not an "S"). The only exception to the rule is the 2007 Impreza WRC, which was identified as the S12b WRC (rather than S13 as you would expect). The Japanese are a s
uperstitious bunch and so Prodrive avoided the number with their car designation! 

The 22B, as I'm sure you know, came with a 2.2L engine: WRC regulations of the era limited cars to 2.0L so, by its very nature, the 22B couldn't be a rally car. Incidentally, although they look similar, the S4 WRC and 22B have different panels. If you look at the two side-by-side you can see it, it's most noticeable around the front end and rear arches. 

Apologies for the long reply. Reading "OMG it's a 22B!" every time someone posts a picture of a two WRC Impreza niggles me, so I always try and post the correct information where I can! 

@tbtstt‌ no problem for the long post at all!  Its good to be educated, even if its something you THINK you know about and really you've been misled or misinformed.  The 22b hexadecimal for 555 is great trivia.

gfRally said:
@tbtstt‌ no problem for the long post at all!  Its good to be educated, even if its something you THINK you know about and really you've been misled or misinformed.  The 22b hexadecimal for 555 is great trivia.
If you like that @gfrally, then here is another useless bit of pub trivia for you: the bodywork of the first Impreza World Rally Car was designed by Peter Stevens, whose previous work included the McLaren F1. Peter Stevens was later employed to style the Prodrive P1 road car and Prodrive P2 concept.

Chances are you've already seen it, but if you haven't then give this a watch, it's a really good comparison between the Group N, early (S4) World Rally Car and Group A Imprezas...

http://youtu.be/DJvxo8Rt6Ao

...the S4 WRC is a world away from any road car. The only thing it really has in common with the 22B is that it started life as a two door (Type R) shell. 

Although the Group A car was the car Colin won the title in, the S4 WRC is still "the" McRae Impreza in my mind: would love to see it in game again!

What's hexadecimal for 4?

Also awesome post Steve, I never knew that.
Just checked: it's 4! :D

You're welcome Lee: always happy to supply useless Impreza trivia!

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
If you like that @gfrally, then here is another useless bit of pub trivia for you: the bodywork of the first Impreza World Rally Car was designed by Peter Stevens, whose previous work included the McLaren F1. Peter Stevens was later employed to style the Prodrive P1 road car and Prodrive P2 concept.

Chances are you've already seen it, but if you haven't then give this a watch, it's a really good comparison between the Group N, early (S4) World Rally Car and Group A Imprezas...

http://youtu.be/DJvxo8Rt6Ao

...the S4 WRC is a world away from any road car. The only thing it really has in common with the 22B is that it started life as a two door (Type R) shell. 

Although the Group A car was the car Colin won the title in, the S4 WRC is still "the" McRae Impreza in my mind: would love to see it in game again!

Watched the vid, actually saw another one, but it was no where near as informative, again thanks for the education.  Yes I agree the S4 is the car I mean, and yes it is 'the' McRae Impreza!  Defiantly add this to my wish list.

BTW @tbtstt‌ I sort of knew the S4 designation was for a Subaru WRC car (just confused how the name fit), but have you seen all the media laughter with Subaru releasing info on a NEW STI S4 or something like that?  The media is pointing to the audi S4 and asking why would Subaru name it that?  I guess they need to talk to you or read this thread to understand more :)  

gfRally said:

Watched the vid, actually saw another one, but it was no where near as informative, again thanks for the education.  Yes I agree the S4 is the car I mean, and yes it is 'the' McRae Impreza!  Defiantly add this to my wish list.

BTW @tbtstt‌ I sort of knew the S4 designation was for a Subaru WRC car (just confused how the name fit), but have you seen all the media laughter with Subaru releasing info on a NEW STI S4 or something like that?  The media is pointing to the audi S4 and asking why would Subaru name it that?  I guess they need to talk to you or read this thread to understand more :)  
I've seen some of the PR for that new Subaru WRX S4 @gfRally‌ and I have to confess I cannot see the reasoning for the name choice! The S numbers were/are a Prodrive designation (rather than Subaru), so I'm not sure they are significant enough to have been picked up by Subaru Japan and used to name a new model.

I've never read an official reason for why Prodrive started their S numbers at "4". My best guess is they used the number of the equivalent STi version. The Version 4 STi was when the Type R (two door) shell made its debut, and it was a Version 4 Type R shell that was the basis for the S4 WRC, so it seems a logical explanation.

I have long hoped that someone would put together a comprehensive book on the history of the Subaru Group A and World Rally Cars to answers these sort of questions, but it has yet to happen: one day hopefully!

Hmm just between the Scooby sounds , back fire and turbo sounds,...

I found some interesting thing what probally can be used to explain the pacenotes system to people who are not familiar with it. @justbiglee @kickup @jontucker , perhaps its useable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7EYVJL9XU&list=WL&index=8

Greets all. If this is the place for Dirt4 wishes, then my main wish would be: 
Earlier/faster called pace notes. (Maybe a few options for timing, ie std, early, very-early)

Happy programming.

Greets all. If this is the place for Dirt4 wishes, then my main wish would be: 
Earlier/faster called pace notes. (Maybe a few options for timing, ie std, early, very-early)

Happy programming.

Agreed. I would also love more detailed pace notes, or the option to choose how much detail you want in the notes. Having said this, more detail isn't needed on the dirt 3 stages as they're all pretty generic and simple. I would love more ruts, bumps camber, grip changes etc to make the stages feel more 'organic', sometimes the dirt3 stages feel too circuit-like and designed, rather than like true rally stages.

doyley101 said:
Having said this, more detail isn't needed on the dirt 3 stages as they're all pretty generic and simple. I would love more ruts, bumps camber, grip changes etc to make the stages feel more 'organic', sometimes the dirt3 stages feel too circuit-like and designed, rather than like true rally stages.
That's been my only complaint about the Dirt series.
It doesn't give me that "OMG, the road's trying to toss me into the trees" feeling I get with RBR and the WRC series.
Everything is too wide, too flat and too straight for that.

ARCNoOne said:
doyley101 said:
Having said this, more detail isn't needed on the dirt 3 stages as they're all pretty generic and simple. I would love more ruts, bumps camber, grip changes etc to make the stages feel more 'organic', sometimes the dirt3 stages feel too circuit-like and designed, rather than like true rally stages.
That's been my only complaint about the Dirt series.
It doesn't give me that "OMG, the road's trying to toss me into the trees" feeling I get with RBR and the WRC series.
Everything is too wide, too flat and too straight for that.
It will ;)

You don't want me reading them, I'd be the worst co-driver ever.

"Left at the tree... no wait your other left... no wait hang on I was right the first time"

"ohhh you should have gone right after that splash"

"I've drawn this squiggly line on my notes but forgot what it means"

"You probably shouldn't have hit that rock"

I'll leave it to @kickup

You don't want me reading them, I'd be the worst co-driver ever.

"Left at the tree... no wait your other left... no wait hang on I was right the first time"

"ohhh you should have gone right after that splash"

"I've drawn this squiggly line on my notes but forgot what it means"

"You probably shouldn't have hit that rock"

I'll leave it to @kickup
ROFL... thats my wife giving directions!

I know people have heaps of requests. I'll add my 2 cents.

Next Gen Graphics
Graphics were above par for last generation on Codemasters games. But since the release of the new consoles they have fallen a bit. Take a look at new racing games like Project Cars or Forza 5. I'm hoping Codemasters will step it up a notch and create something amazing for consoles and PC users alike. I am confident that Codemasters will deliver next-gen, they would be really stupid not too. 

A way to get realistic physics
I understand that  realistic physics which RBR is so famous for wouldn't cater for all players .However Codemasters could satisfy us hardcore fans quite easily. As the dev team mentioned previously, they have access to real world car data which the developers have fun with themselves, then modify to make the cars more accessible. The devs could include the realistic data by including it in the game initially, packaging it as DLC or even just releasing it to the community. 
They could include it in a number of ways:
- Include an option for realistic physics (something similar to RBR)
- Having lots of assists for casual players (enabled by default) and allowing us to disable them for a realistic experience.

User-created Content
Another point I would like to mention is hardcore fans like long, tight technical tracks. Its understandable that Codemasters can't include long technical tracks as that is apparently not what the majority of players want. Given Codemasters is openning up to modding and is now using Steam. This would be a perfect opportunity for Codemasters to support user created content in their games with Steam Workshop. Including a track editor  and allowing users to share and play others tracks creation would be really awesome. It would extend the life of game and allow users to create what ever stages they desire including long and technical stages. 

Codemasters really should pay attention to what the community says, because they are often right. For example Dirt Showdown was the complete opposite to what the community asked for (We all know how that game ended up). And Gird 2 lost touch with its sim side. Lucky Codemasters redeemed itself with Grid Autosport which is basically what the community asked for initially. I hope Codemasters have learnt from their mistakes as I believe they have a tough road ahead. The quality of racing games have stepped up a notch. Take a look at Project Cars for example. I really hope Codemasters can step up to the challenge and deliver something Awesome.