Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

Funnily enough I do. Hopefully i'm able to make a visit in May ;)

Hopefully one of the Devs can answer this question, but is it possible to include much more new, and varied features on next gen (PS4/XB1) than it was on PS3/360? If so, how much bigger could a rally game be on the new consoles? (hopefully that makes sense, it does in my head :)) )
I have the same question! I own a next-gen console and I like to know what this new consoles (and good PC's) can offer!

Perhaps an option to do recce would be good! I know it was also in RBR , ( have to be honest that i didnt really used it) but recce is still part of the rally sport ;-) what do u guys think should a recce option be in a rally game?
how would you want it to play though?
I will think about that! ;-) Crucial point is to make it still entertaining, sometimes I hate recce before a rally ,.. but its soo important when u maximum attack a rally stage!

Perhaps an option to do recce would be good! I know it was also in RBR , ( have to be honest that i didnt really used it) but recce is still part of the rally sport ;-) what do u guys think should a recce option be in a rally game?
I will think about that! ;-) Crucial point is to make it still entertaining, sometimes I hate recce before a rally ,.. but its soo important when u maximum attack a rally stage!
Maybe its just an option, if you want, but that would be the same a free play correct?  However if the track conditions changed after then it could be more integrated into the gameplay or career.  

What I mean by track conditions is this:  

Weather affecting the stage, i.e. rain would add mud and water (puddles?) on the road.  

This is really easier to type than to do, would be road changes after the first car, you could follow cars lines, or conditions could deteriorate on certain corners after a few passes (gravel/dirt buildup and ruts).  This is probably involving deformation of the model, but maybe you smart people can figure out a better way.

I like the idea of an option to recce the stages if the game is focusing on authenticity. I would like it to play that you are given a recce car (a road car or a recce rigged Mitsubishi Evo as Citroën uses in the WRC) to drive through the stages. You have to keep within the speed limits (80 km/h on WRC-events if I'm not wrong). If you go over, a warning comes up giving you three seconds to slow down, if not you are given time penalties towards the rally itself. When it comes to changing the notes, I think it could be good if the co-driver reads out the notes as you drive through the stage. For each note, the note itself comes up on the screen. If you want to change it you can change it within the parameters available. For example, if you come to a left hand corner which the co-driver reads as a three left plus, tightens two, you can change all parts of the corner. I don't think it should be possible to change a corner from left to right, that wouldn't do any good, but other than that it should be pretty open to make your own modifications. The process of changing the notes works by pausing the game or stopping the car, and doing the modification.

Any other ideas?

New suggestion from me. Not sure whether it'll be possible for DiRT 4 (if it's not there already), but maybe a future game... How about obtaining the Rally America license? Official stages like the 100 Acre Wood rally and so on?

I'd love to race 'alongside' Higgins and Pastrana in the WRX STIs! :)

Hi! My wishlist:
  • Realistic physics - like RBR
  • Better damage model
  • More rally groups for example: WRC, S2000, S1600, GrN, GrA, Kit-Car.....etc
  • Real stages and tracks
  • The game itself is oriented rally
  • But also contain rallycross
  • When you have finished the stage, then you go to the write point - like RBR!!!!
  • Launch control for WRC cars
  • If you fall off the road, do not put the game back ( game over or restart )
  • Realistic sounds
  • Realistic fan sounds, air horn
  • Possibly tyre puncture
  • Service park
  • Realistic start ( not green flag )
PS : Sorry for my bad English, but I'm from Hungary!!:)

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

@gfRally

The stage evolution would be my dream feature!

Stage surface would evolve depending on the weather ahead of the rally, number of cars ahead (R2 Fiestas may have very different conditions to WRCs) and current weather conditions.

I would also love if some unexpected elements were included like rocks, ruts, mud dragged onto tarmac. In addition development of a cleaner, more grippy line on gravel would hugely add to authenticity and to how modern rally is influenced by road conditions.

However, without a doubt such technology would require a lot of development work and balancing. 

I know it's a big wish, but just like dynamic weather in F1 games such a system would have been hugely innovative in my view and a bit of a game changer.

Maybe something like the above will be in the games halfway through new generation of consoles

@gfRally

The stage evolution would be my dream feature!

Stage surface would evolve depending on the weather ahead of the rally, number of cars ahead (R2 Fiestas may have very different conditions to WRCs) and current weather conditions.

I would also love if some unexpected elements were included like rocks, ruts, mud dragged onto tarmac. In addition development of a cleaner, more grippy line on gravel would hugely add to authenticity and to how modern rally is influenced by road conditions.

However, without a doubt such technology would require a lot of development work and balancing. 

I know it's a big wish, but just like dynamic weather in F1 games such a system would have been hugely innovative in my view and a bit of a game changer.

Maybe something like the above will be in the games halfway through new generation of consoles
Stage editor through a rally in combination of a dynamic weather system would be the perfect circumstance for a real rally experience!

DiRT 3 had the count down lights so i guess they will use that for the next rally game.
They had both, count down lights and a green flag guy ;-) But in real there is a count down light , or a guy that count down with his hands ;-)

Perhaps as said before we can combine it with making your own pacenotes, that will make the rally game more authentic,
I can understand that some people like the pacenotes made by Nicky Grist / Paul Coleman/ Codemasters , so that should be the basic and people are able to skip the Recce part and continue,

But if u would like to make your own pacenotes, then u have to do the recce, in a normal car, ( as said before by @Benniz ) Just an Evo X or a Volvo or a normal 206, and with a maximum speed of 80 km/u and maximum 2 times each stage

I think this is a great idea, because almost every driver has different pacenotes, for example some drivers use for a corner what they cant "cut" the line : "Don't cut" , other drivers use fictional word for it like "Sek"or only mention when to cut.

I think if u created once ur "pacenotes" for a stage u should be able to save it, so the next time u drive that rally u can load your own pacenotes,

Ofcourse with different dynamic weather conditions, and starting position u should ajust your pacenotes, but that's up to the driver what he would like.

What do you think from it guys? I think this will make the rally game more authentic and let people who don't know that much about rally and still play the game know what to do with the information from your co-driver.

Result --> everyone will drive faster.

But as I mention before too, I think for the next game the most important things are: Dynamic weather condition, Authentic rally rules, and Changing stage conditions

PS> Just see Recce as an Free practice / qualification in the F1 games, U don't have to do it,.. but if u do it will give u a great advance in the race!

@ThierryNeuville 

I think all of us hard core rally guys would love these ideas, and I do think they are great. But we do have to remember this will be sold on consoles (with little or no change to the game) and also to "normal" people, I had to wiki what a normal person is... not me :)   Attention span has to play a factor as well, many do not have much of this either.

Anyhow so for Codemasters to sell a product, it has to be fun for a majority of players.  Remember strong sales = future titles, longer support, more DLC, etc.  

I am sure Codemasters has a lot of ideas that are easy to implement, but affect gameplay, so are not worth pursuing.  

My challenge is to think about it from the perspective that you have a friend that knows nothing about rally racing, and you have to talk him into spectating a rally with the potential of eventually driving a stage.  Here in the USA, rally isn't a mainstream sport, the American series has only just this past weekend made it to major tv sports channel after many years of it not being on tv, so I have a lot of 'selling' to do to get some friends interested in the sport.  So to sell someone that knows little about the sport on a game, that has a lot of detail (recce, changing stage conditions, writing your own pace notes, etc) how would this be implemented to be FUN to someone in this category, again remembering this is where the majority of sales will be coming from.

I know we have a unique connection to the DiRT team here, so if we are really passionate about a feature we would like to see, WE need to sell it to them.

I am really just being a DEVILS ADVOCATE here, not criticizing anyones idea, just giving something to think about. 

DiRT 3 had the count down lights so i guess they will use that for the next rally game.
They had both, count down lights and a green flag guy ;-) But in real there is a count down light , or a guy that count down with his hands ;-)
Can't remember seeing a flag guy he might be behind the barriers at the start line?

@gfRally you are right and its good to be the devils advocate and make us see the other side.
But perhaps we are looking in the wrong direction?

For example F1 isn't that popular in the USA as here in Europe and Arabic and Asia,
(Mostly all Manufactures and sponsoring are from Europe, Asia or Arabic)

But still the game was quiet extensive like there where ton of set-ups from the car, the looks from the tracks, authentic F1 rules etc etc etc.... and still the sales from the game where good!

They didn't focused at the USA right?

So why would a real authentic rally game not sell in Europe Arabic South America, Asia? 
( Mentioning the spectators at WRC Argentina, Dakar, rallies in Arabia (united emirates))

I think u should keep the rally game authentic and focus at the rally and rallycross aspect.
With Ken Block and many other stars compete in Rallycross in the USA and Europe I think its only a matter of time and in the USA will buy it.

And I think u have to be honest with me,
Europe, Asia and Arabia are more in to rally then the USA, because of all the European/Asian brands; ( VW, Citroen, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Skoda, Peugeot, M-Sport (Not or less supported by Ford), are putting a lot money in the sport ( not to mention the sponsoring from Arabia, Russia and Scandinavian)) are putting a lot of money in it!

Personally I only think that Rallycross can make it in the USA, because its short and u can watch all the action as a circuit
I do not think that rallysport will ever get that popular in the USA as it is in Europe, Asia and Arabic. Just because of the thought from an American, U cant see all what happens at a rally stage, as for NASCAR u can see all, ( on TV or in the stadion)

I think that is the biggest blockade.

That's also why we should focus at the European market instead of the USA. but that's my opinion.

Can't remember seeing a flag guy he might be behind the barriers at the start line?

That guy in the right has the green flag ;-)

That guy in the right has the green flag ;-)

Oh you mean the official

@gfRally you are right and its good to be the devils advocate and make us see the other side.
But perhaps we are looking in the wrong direction?

For example F1 isn't that popular in the USA as here in Europe and Arabic and Asia,
(Mostly all Manufactures and sponsoring are from Europe, Asia or Arabic)

But still the game was quiet extensive like there where ton of set-ups from the car, the looks from the tracks, authentic F1 rules etc etc etc.... and still the sales from the game where good!

They didn't focused at the USA right?

So why would a real authentic rally game not sell in Europe Arabic South America, Asia? 
( Mentioning the spectators at WRC Argentina, Dakar, rallies in Arabia (united emirates))

I think u should keep the rally game authentic and focus at the rally and rallycross aspect.
With Ken Block and many other stars compete in Rallycross in the USA and Europe I think its only a matter of time and in the USA will buy it.

And I think u have to be honest with me,
Europe, Asia and Arabia are more in to rally then the USA, because of all the European/Asian brands; ( VW, Citroen, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Skoda, Peugeot, M-Sport (Not or less supported by Ford), are putting a lot money in the sport ( not to mention the sponsoring from Arabia, Russia and Scandinavian)) are putting a lot of money in it!

Personally I only think that Rallycross can make it in the USA, because its short and u can watch all the action as a circuit
I do not think that rallysport will ever get that popular in the USA as it is in Europe, Asia and Arabic. Just because of the thought from an American, U cant see all what happens at a rally stage, as for NASCAR u can see all, ( on TV or in the stadion)

I think that is the biggest blockade.

That's also why we should focus at the European market instead of the USA. but that's my opinion.

Yes I see your point. And certainly I am looking at it from an American perspective, I was being narrow minded in that regard. Most American sports I really don't like, hockey is really the only mainstream sport I follow here. I am just always trying to do my part to get people interested here, just so I have some pals to hang with :). so I found a connection to Dirt here with the Rally America connection.

Wow i hope, devs can read this! This are my wishies:

-More simulation, less arcade.
-Better engine and enviroment sounds
-Longer career with calendar of WRC and Rallycross Championship (mixed or not)
-Less trucks, its all about cars
-Less destruction contest, maybe gymkhana can stay, its fun.
-Training space or tutorial where you can learn how to drive a rally car
-Better cockpit view
-More rally and rallycross stages
-Press conferences like F1 games used to have

Well thats my list, i espect the quality like F1 games have, the attention to detail is important!

alot of the stuff i want is far from the arcadey  stuff when i play racing games i only play them if they are punishing if i screw up there's not alot of them out there dirt u can slam into a tree an still finish first the damage model is there but it doesn't really effect performance i even have to play f1 2013 with a severe damage mod other wise i cant play it..

Soo point form what i actually want and would buy if some of these things are considered.

>Narrow harder tracks (dirt 3 i felt every track was as wide as a highway and never needed to slow down)
>Dirt that is actually dirt, digs down makes tyre grooves etc, think other cars go before you it could slightly change the physics of the track for re-playability
>Less or no over the top gymkhana bs (i respect ken block but didn't some other game poach him, keep it gone)
>Longer races kinda get bored if i have to go through a loading screen every 1-2minutes OR if that is the case as rallys are in stages
make them meaning full connect them Service park to repair previous stage damage etc.

>Realistic speeds, handeling, mechanical failures
>More tracks if not real ones
> Weather effects that effect the handling more not just if its raining its slippery if its raining heavy puddles build up hitting them effects handling
>More trophy truck support, or other od trucks an bikes but if they are used include some long race equivalent to Dakar with multiple save checkpoints.
>^ include a long dakar race if possible, multiple checkpoints, classes, vehicles, this event should take a long time to finish think 24hour races in other games.
> Damage options if its set to realistic hitting anything should be a bad thing have options for full visual damage an less mechanical people if majority think its too much.
> Livery editor car customizing
> More focused career mode. (This is where livery editor an customizing comes in) start/manage a team / sponsors.
> Destruction derby, somethings in showdown were fun with a proper damage model, realistic speeds (as an option slow), mechanical failures dirt physics (wheels spinning) could be fun online to see who can last the longest.

Make a good game take your time, start fresh fit as much in it as systems will allow blow minds get everybody talking. I am probably asking for too much but this is because i really stick to old racing games over new ones, i really only play simulators (gtr etc) and a rally one would be a nice change
stuff i suggest is probably next to impossible and i know the game has to be playable by all not just the insanely die hard realism people otherwise sales get hurt.

Good luck lol! xXRariiXx

LONGER TOUGHER RALLY STAGES different stages each rally More jumps watersplashes hairpins More countries Shakedown before rally Service after 2 stages Cars do not repair during the rally :choice of tyres : advanced setup Co driver game mode : remove map for rally driver and co driver (friend has notes and map) : camera is on right side or left of car Current wrc cars and past rally cars Official liveries AND THE AUDI QUATTRO S1

I mainly agree with all the points on the list by now.

We want a good and true rally experience. Realistic long special stages from tarmac to gravel and snow. Always keep the rally ambience in mind. For me it's 25% about the track, 25% about the surrounding ambience and 50% about the physics and handling.

I want to race with as many rally cars as possible. From nowadays cars to the old gr.B and A cars. Old wrc cars too. I have an interesting point here. What about the Kit Cars from the 90's? Everybody seems to have been forget these cars but they where absolutely nice cars! In tarmac they where actually better than wrc cars. The Peugeot 306 Maxi, the Xsara Kit Car, the Megane Maxi, etc.. And the Kit Cars sound where THE SOUND of the 90's just like the Quattro was the sound of the 80's. Can you remember this?

Please, keep focused on rally. I would agree with some rally cross and hill climb too but mainly good old rally racing. 

Please Codies, let's make the best RALLY game ever!

SnailDirt said:
I mainly agree with all the points on the list by now.

We want a good and true rally experience. Realistic long special stages from tarmac to gravel and snow. Always keep the rally ambience in mind. For me it's 25% about the track, 25% about the surrounding ambience and 50% about the physics and handling.

I want to race with as many rally cars as possible. From nowadays cars to the old gr.B and A cars. Old wrc cars too. I have an interesting point here. What about the Kit Cars from the 90's? Everybody seems to have been forget these cars but they where absolutely nice cars! In tarmac they where actually better than wrc cars. The Peugeot 306 Maxi, the Xsara Kit Car, the Megane Maxi, etc.. And the Kit Cars sound where THE SOUND of the 90's just like the Quattro was the sound of the 80's. Can you remember this?

Please, keep focused on rally. I would agree with some rally cross and hill climb too but mainly good old rally racing. 

Please Codies, let's make the best RALLY game ever!
Ohh yhea i really loved the kitcars! And ofcourse the S1600's still my favorite cars! And to be honestly... I am currently trying to buy a Peugeot 106 Maxi S1600 ;) but still cost around 50.000 euro.... Little bit out of my budget sadly

>make the game purely rally based. >create your own liveries. >all of the latest WRC cars and some older WRC cars such as focuses and imprezas etc and also the proper rally classics( mk1 & mk2 escorts, Opel manta etc.). >rally career mode (start in 1.0 cars and work your way to the top maybe?). >realistic stages (especially British stages and rally's such as Wales rally GB. Would love to be able to play on stages that look and feel like my local stages!). >a British co-driver instead of American! >make the game for next gen (especially PS4!). >in career you should have a garage that you can walk around and look at your cars >more spectators and marshals on the stages (it's the little details like this that make it more realistic). >make night stages again. >give the cars realistic sounds. >this is a longshot but maybe drive between the stages?!(road sections). >make a service park where you can change the setup and prepare your car for the stages >ditch the gymkhana stuff. >more choices of interior view cameras. Sorry for going on but these are the things I think of when imaging what the best rally game would be like!! :D

I just have one more thing to say, and I know from a point of view of a developer it would be harsh, but, who knows... CMR2 it was moddable!

Why don't you create a moddable game. I know people in consoles will not be able to install this updates (or are they? Since I got my first PC I never used a console anymore). Even better, create a comunity forum run by you guys, and maybe one or two guys from outside Codemasters to be moderators. Consoles can handle DLC, why not let the comunity make content for DLC's.

RBR was out around the same time CMR4 was. I remember a big critic was that the game only had 8 cars to play with... and a bit crappy moddels as well. But 10 years passed since, and If I know correctly, RBR has know 286 cars to choose from, and at least other new 15 in the making! Ofcourse the quality of them it's not allways perfect, but there are some modders that can make professionals blush.

I think the main thing, is that you don't have to put a new game every two years on the market. If you make a solid game, you can put out DLC updates every year, and still get a lot of money with them!

Cheers

Here is something maybe the Europeans can chime in on.  Now I have only been able to attend rallys here in the US, so this is my only live exposure to it.  This is not my video, but just a bit of a random grab from youtube.  Is this what it is like on your side of the pond?  

This is from my 'home' rally, it is my favorite because of the time of year and location.  The first minute of sound is what I am focusing on, heck close your eyes and turn up the volume.  

Things I notice:

I little crowd noise 
Birds chirping
A little wind noise
 -- my favorite --- the quiet (relatively) and then the echoing in the distance of turbo chirps with a little bit of engine noise building excitement and anticipation, if there are turns or corrections then you hear the backfire and different exhaust notes.  Then comes the big gnarly sound of the car coming into view, then into the turn and finally the exit, and kind of the same thing all in reverse but a little different since the exhaust is facing at you pulling away into the distant forest...

Beethoven couldn't have produced a better symphonic experience!  hahaha  

With out looking, I can almost tell you who the first few cars are, many may be subarus but they all sound different, because they are TUNED differently.

Anyhow, for me, the fact that you can close your eyes and get some sort of emotion out of the experience, says that sounds defiantly are a large and underrated part of the over all game.

If I look harder I could find better footage with better sound, but the ambiance here is captured pretty well

go ahead try it!  close your eyes and listen. :)

Greg

PS. If someone here is tired of seeing my posts, just throw a stone at me, and I'll go away, I'll understand...