Sign in to follow this  

"Next" DiRT game wishlist!

More configuration possibilities like a FOV that's easy to setup from within the game. Also the possibility to set the exact time of day would be awesome.

Loved reading through that really old wishlist thread you found before DiRT 3 was even out! Interesting to see how your list has evolved over the years :)
I do loved reading it too , but it felt amazing to see that many wishes actually made it in the development of the DiRT series!
It makes us fans feel more part of the Codemasters games,
Really thanks for that opportunity @KickUp @JonTucker @justbiglee ! We really appreciate this!!
Have to admit that this do make a big different between Codemasters games and other rallygames

Cannot agree:
Less trucks;

Have to admit that I cannot agree with this, but I have to say this is my point of view and my opinion,

I think u should only focus at rally and rallycross the next game,

All the other gymkhana stuff, buggies trucks Pike peak etc etc  u should put in a Showdown game or different game.
Or a special Dakar game for the Dakar Rally.

The reason for this is that I think u should focus at 1 part of the sport ( Rally/ Rallycross) because els I think u don't put the attention at the right spot.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned the audio of the cars themselves yet, but I'd like to see improvements continue to be made there as well.

I thought the audio in both DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 was an improvement on the games that had preceeded them. If they are going to implement launch control in the next game I hope there will be suitable audio to match: especially in the case of rallycross cars, as the starts always sound incredible!

tbtstt said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned the audio of the cars themselves yet, but I'd like to see improvements continue to be made there as well.

I thought the audio in both DiRT 2 and DiRT 3 was an improvement on the games that had preceeded them. If they are going to implement launch control in the next game I hope there will be suitable audio to match: especially in the case of rallycross cars, as the starts always sound incredible!

The guys in audio are really passionate about what they do (just like we all are) and I honestly think we make some of the best sounding games out there. 

Just the other week I was outside with them recording some audio and they have this crazy expensive super high tech setup that has been developed in conjunction with a university and they way it works and captures audio blew my mind. I probably can't say much more, not for fear of letting anything about the game out (surprise we record cars!) just more a case for letting something slip about the tech that I shouldn't. I fully plan to have some kind of feature about it up on the blog/in a video/on a podcast when the time is right.

Again I'm in agreement with @tbtstt :)

Judging by the write-up from @justbiglee following DiRTy trip to Rally Wales GB the devs got to appreciate how the sounds reverberate in forests, open fields and how the engine note changes as the car approaches a spectator.

For me it's very important that the engine note gives the player clues to whether it's struggling in an uphill section or in case of turbo cars that it's about to go into a bit of turbo lag. 

I think Dirt 3 was a good step forward as it added sounds of rocks hitting wheel arches and some mechanical noises.
Hopefully audio design will still high up on priority list for the next game :)

tbtstt said:

The guys in audio are really passionate about what they do (just like we all are) and I honestly think we make some of the best sounding games out there. 

Just the other week I was outside with them recording some audio and they have this crazy expensive super high tech setup that has been developed in conjunction with a university and they way it works and captures audio blew my mind. I probably can't say much more, not for fear of letting anything about the game out (surprise we record cars!) just more a case for letting something slip about the tech that I shouldn't. I fully plan to have some kind of feature about it up on the blog/in a video/on a podcast when the time is right.

Sounds very promising! I believe there were a couple of members of the sound team present on the old forum, so fingers crossed they will sign up here as well.

As I mentioned above I thought there was huge progress made in the car audio (especially if you compare DiRT to DiRT 3); with the exception of perhaps one or two cars, all the cars with distinctive audio were clearly identifiably in DiRT 3.

Although I appreciate it might not be for everyone, I would love to have realistic audio on the interior camera angles, i.e.: more transmission whine and more engine noise!

I hope to see a step up in audio in the cockpit, like the sound of rocks and stones being thrown up underneath the car, the crunching of metal and cracking of glass during a crash!

I definitely agree that codemasters is one of the leading games studios on audio!

tbtstt said:

Yeah... real hi tech, lol

(stole this, sorry)

Again I'm in agreement with @tbtstt :)

Judging by the write-up from @justbiglee following DiRTy trip to Rally Wales GB the devs got to appreciate how the sounds reverberate in forests, open fields and how the engine note changes as the car approaches a spectator.

For me it's very important that the engine note gives the player clues to whether it's struggling in an uphill section or in case of turbo cars that it's about to go into a bit of turbo lag. 

I think Dirt 3 was a good step forward as it added sounds of rocks hitting wheel arches and some mechanical noises.
Hopefully audio design will still high up on priority list for the next game :)
@MastaVonBlasta (cool name BTW)

As many have read, I am pretty big on audio.  Graphics and Physics are Huge part of the game, but sounds can make up for a lot in a game.  I think it fills in some gaps that may not be able to be done visually at times.  For instance:

Does this not make you smile a little, and for me you overlook the dated graphics a little too.  Think about a movie like Transformers, like it or not, if they took sounds straight from the old cartoons, would it be as epic?  Just like music, sound stirs up emotion, changes the tone of a scene.  

I am in visual communications, pictures, fonts, design and text are how I make my living.  If I cannot grab attention visually, then I haven't done my job.  You cannot sell a product on a shelf with a sounds, you need visuals.  So I am not taking away from any other effort in a game, its all needed.  But for me sound makes or breaks a game.

tbtstt said:

Here the Audio boys from Codemaster at work for the Dirt3 game!
Recording a....... yes its the Audi Quattro from D3

Oh did I forget to mention I would like to see a co-up mode (online and offline) would love to run a rallyteam with a friend ( in game) guess that would be awesome! :D compete against manufacture teams!

I think a fun addition for realism and difficulty would be manual controlled windshield wipers. So when you go through water, or as dirt builds up on your windshield, you have to remember to use the wipers every once in a while.

I think a fun addition for realism and difficulty would be manual controlled windshield wipers. So when you go through water, or as dirt builds up on your windshield, you have to remember to use the wipers every once in a while.
That would actually be pretty cool.

That would actually be pretty cool.
Including horn, indicators "lights", lights of the lightpod, the heater ;-)

How many buttons do you guys have on your game controllers and steering wheels? :O :P

Having to operate so many things would be like Kubica at Janner Rally when he had no clue where buttons for lights were in the Fiesta :)

Well, horn in a RallyCar is a co-driver problem! Also the windshield wipers as well, for a little slapsh and dash. If my diver needs I clean the windshield. Both bottons are on my feet.

But controling the lights, lightpod, windshield wipers and the vent of the car would be cool! My G27 have 18 buttons and I don't use 16 for anything (one for pause, and one for camera in RBR).

Just a little question, for @justbiglee. The fitional liveries, you have a team for that or it's the marketing of companyes that gives you the idea how to do things?

How many buttons do you guys have on your game controllers and steering wheels? :O :P

Having to operate so many things would be like Kubica at Janner Rally when he had no clue where buttons for lights were in the Fiesta :)
Hehehe that's true, but lights / lightpod and wipers would be very handy in some situations!

Just a little question, for @justbiglee. The fitional liveries, you have a team for that or it's the marketing of companyes that gives you the idea how to do things?
Your liveries are amazing! ;-) Still waiting for my 2015 livery for the 206 Hehehe ;-)

Pretty cool. I never knew that about co-driver foot controlled wipers. Is that a pretty standard thing for rally cars now or are some wiper controls still consistently wheel mounted in cars?

Pretty cool. I never knew that about co-driver foot controlled wipers. Is that a pretty standard thing for rally cars now or are some wiper controls still consistently wheel mounted in cars?
Have to admit that my co-driver don't use the wipers or horn ;-) It depends in every rally car

Some of the cars use it, others not. The horn it's almost everytime at the foot. The wiper I only saw it on two cars. The 206 GTi trophee version that I navigate now and the Golf 3 Kit-Car ex VW. But the driver still have the wiper on the steering wheels column. At my foot only have like a things that clears the windshield with a splash of water and two/three whipes.

@ThierryNeuville, you're not forgotten my friend, but we're still in 2014 :P

Well, horn in a RallyCar is a co-driver problem! Also the windshield wipers as well, for a little slapsh and dash. If my diver needs I clean the windshield. Both bottons are on my feet.

But controling the lights, lightpod, windshield wipers and the vent of the car would be cool! My G27 have 18 buttons and I don't use 16 for anything (one for pause, and one for camera in RBR).

Ummmm its kind of a bit of both, not speaking for DiRT specifically but knowing what I know from another game we're working on we would create the livery for a company using their brand guidelines and colours etc (a good example would be the blue Intel livery in GRID 2). 

Some companies might have a more fixed idea of what they would like and we would work from that some might just say "go nuts", then they would either approve it for use or they might ask us to make changes. Its just a case of working together with them really, howing them lots of options and working from there.

Its kind of like when somebody (like a retailer or a website) writes dirt (in small letters). It drives me crazy it should be styled DiRT because that's what the brand is so the last thing any company wants if for us to make a car with their logo on it and not reflecting the companies own style.

That make sense?