Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2 observations (flashback+steering assist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcg04v6kTY#t=847

Skip to the 28 minute mark. You can have unlimited flashbacks this time. And if you look in the middle of all the assists: You can toggle steering assist on/off. I assume thats the steering assist used by pad users, (usually) unavailable to wheel users. 

Zap12341 said:
shame
Why? They are just making it more accessible for newer players, its not like you're forced to use the assist...
I think hes referring to the unlimited flashbacks, due to the fact steering assist is capital for pad users and far from being a n00b thing

Sure you can turn it off but most ppl just want to be quick not good at something. I have a mate who has been playing racing games for years, has a fanatec setup yet chooses to use all assists as it makes him belive he is a good driver. Its not like the console games are hard (even r1 in forza) with no assists but most ppl would much rather have a car they can nail the throttle and brakes down turn full lock and then think they are alonso lol!

The steering assist is different to what's applied to pads. This is an actual assist that will help those struggling with the game to race more competitively. :)

hola said:
so..., does this assist steer for them or something?
probably in a little way yes there is a similar assist in Grid Autosport as well I think. I would imagine it's a s the same type as there It's more for those that have disabilities like myself who play the game but as with everything else it can be turned off.

Hatta said:
The steering assist is different to what's applied to pads. This is an actual assist that will help those struggling with the game to race more competitively. :)
Thanks for clearing that Hatta, pad still faster than wheel - it's official.

Ugh, we need more clarity on this, Hatta.  What exactly does this do in technical terms, and is there still a hidden steering assist in the controls menu, or have you changed that for gamepad users to be the equivalent of "Override: Steering Wheel" with "Steering Linearity" at 100% to make it easy but not unfairly fast for a gamepad driver to get around the track.  I'm fine with this new steering assist option making the game feel like it did in F1 2013 with the hidden steering assist on, because we can turn it off if needed, but if what was there in F1 2013, is still there and tied to the controls menu, we're no better off.

The game looks decent, but why is the McLaren so dark at Singapore?

vtidixon said:
Sure you can turn it off but most ppl just want to be quick not good at something. I have a mate who has been playing racing games for years, has a fanatec setup yet chooses to use all assists as it makes him belive he is a good driver. 
And as long as he's having fun, so what?

vtidixon said:
Sure you can turn it off but most ppl just want to be quick not good at something. I have a mate who has been playing racing games for years, has a fanatec setup yet chooses to use all assists as it makes him belive he is a good driver. 
And as long as he's having fun, so what?
I agree everyone should enjoy the games the way they want to! The point I was making is most ppl wouldnt even think about turning it off if it makes them quicker online and able to win most races. I just think there should be more that makes you want to turn assists off not the other way around like it is now in most games (quicker with no skill). Many times ive made no assists lobbys yet no one joins as they are to happy mashing the throttle down several times coming out of a corner!

Problem with the pad steering assist is just leagues really. You create a No Assists League which is actually "No Assists Apart from Pad Steering" and then find that some of the wheel drivers have ditched their wheels because they are slower with it. Oh well, this year it looks like throttle control will be more important than steering. 

His fun will be short lived when he gets bored of easy wins. Challenging yourself is far more rewarding and much more fun 
But if he's been playing racing games like that for years, presumably he's not going to get bored any time soon...

His fun will be short lived when he gets bored of easy wins. Challenging yourself is far more rewarding and much more fun 
But if he's been playing racing games like that for years, presumably he's not going to get bored any time soon...

No thats the thing he does say they are boring if im not online :) Still some ppl never listen lol! Wasnt having go at assists users just pointing out they are way over powered so most ppl never turn them off so never experience the smile's that you get when you have several moments in a lap!

P and then find that some of the wheel drivers have ditched their wheels because they are slower with it. 
... or steering wheel users turn on the steering assist by setting override to gamepad.  Feels really weird, but makes you take corners perfectly every time...... still really hoping it's fixed and not possible in F1 2014

P and then find that some of the wheel drivers have ditched their wheels because they are slower with it. 
... or steering wheel users turn on the steering assist by setting override to gamepad.  Feels really weird, but makes you take corners perfectly every time...... still really hoping it's fixed and not possible in F1 2014
Exactly and then its not even racing, its just moving a wheel left and right.

Lol, yup...  Why am I not surprised?  I was really hoping this was them moving at least some of the assist gamepad's get in the corners into an actual assist, hopefully the gamepad steering assist is at least toned down a bit with this turned off...  in 2013 with a pad you can literally just got full lock on every corner and take every one of them perfectly, @hatta 's post implying that is not an assist is not a good sign...

I'm guessing this is probably actually just a way to have the assist gamepads get available to steering wheel users without having to overwrite the input type to be a gamepad and go full lock on every corner...  Which is great for people that need it, but codemasters really needs to give pad users a way to make the game more challenging for themselves.

We won't know what they've really done with pad slip assist until we get hold of it. Hopefully they have dumbed it down a bit. I think this would be quite easy to code. For instance, if the pad user has oversteered say 20 degrees past the perfect circle, then correct it to 10 degrees etc until it's balanced.

I would agree that with such an imprecise input device you should get some help, just not the silly level of assistance there is in F1 2012/13.