Sign in to follow this  

McLaren engine bug still persists for your teammate

Question

So after the mclaren glitch I have done a whole season fully upgraded my engine power and have noticed a massive improvement I can actually hold cars off and pass cars on straights etc. However my teammate Alonso will get passed by every car on the grid, cars like Saubers and Toro Rosso's who have slower cars than me now will rocket past him and when he's in DRS etc will be losing ground to almost everyone. Even when I come up behind him on a straight I can put it in lean revs and almost coast by him. I feel like the engine upgrade bug still persists for my teammate as in qualifying he gets consistent top 10 but will drop to the back of the grid immediately within five laps of the race starting and get passed by almost everyone whenever there is half a straight? Either this bug persists still with mclaren engine upgrades for AI cars or for some bizarre reason he is so much slower in the race compared to other cars than qualifying but why is this?

I still have no update to provide, sorry. I appreciate that's going to be frustrating but that's the situation as it stands.

F1Support said:
I still have no update to provide, sorry. I appreciate that's going to be frustrating but that's the situation as it stands.

Can you at least go and find out if there is any intention to correct it? Stringing us along with "nothing to report" goes down like a fart in a lift if the answer is eventually going to be "sorry folks time to move on to 2018"...

It's November after all.

@F1Support are you aware that there is a problem with teammates performance?
Yes, we know exactly what the issue is. The problem is that the solution isn't trivial.

FRACTURED said:
F1Support said:
Can you at least go and find out if there is any intention to correct it? Stringing us along with "nothing to report" goes down like a fart in a lift if the answer is eventually going to be "sorry folks time to move on to 2018"...

It's November after all.
That is the official position. I felt an update to say there was no update was marginally better than continued silence on this issue.

Thankyou for finally giving us some sort of update! I am glad the issue has been officially aknowledged.

I hope by trivial that does not mean its going to be too big an issue to fix because that will leave us with a broken career and not beable to take a lower team to the top since only 66% of updates will work and we all know lack of engine development can hinder a good chasis (mclaren is an example)

As a customer I will not accept we will fix it for next because we hear this year after year only for bugs to continue to exist. @FRACTURED  once copied and pasted somewhere all issues from old games that still persist.

I understand its a big fix but at the end of the day somebody testing the game before release should easily have seen the issue in terms of overall game quality as in works out the box this has been the worst in the series for a good while.

F1Support said:
Yes, we know exactly what the issue is. The problem is that the solution isn't trivial.

FRACTURED said:
F1Support said:

It's November after all.
That is the official position. I felt an update to say there was no update was marginally better than continued silence on this issue.
Thanks for the update. Hope you will fix it soon.

Thankyou for finally giving us some sort of update! I am glad the issue has been officially aknowledged.

I hope by trivial that does not mean its going to be too big an issue to fix because that will leave us with a broken career and not beable to take a lower team to the top since only 66% of updates will work and we all know lack of engine development can hinder a good chasis (mclaren is an example)

As a customer I will not accept we will fix it for next because we hear this year after year only for bugs to continue to exist. @FRACTURED  once copied and pasted somewhere all issues from old games that still persist.

I understand its a big fix but at the end of the day somebody testing the game before release should easily have seen the issue in terms of overall game quality as in works out the box this has been the worst in the series for a good while.

Especially since the whole  R&D point is to take a bottom team and upgrade them over many seasons to win the WDC and the constructors. I cant understand how such a bug that effects the point of the game gets passed though QC.. Do bug testers actually test an 'out of  the box' copy or do they use the 'developer' copy?  It seems to me that all this could have been avoided simply by codemasters taking the retail copy and playing it a week before release.
I don't want to hear about beta testing. Take a damn copy that you are going to sell to the public, sit there and play 4 or 5 seasons.
I understand the pressure to release a game like this on time but i would have much rather the game be a month later in a better working condition than we received it.

@F1Support you say you know what the issue with the team mate bug is, can you give us an idea like you did with the 'falling to far behind sc'?? that was actually pretty refreshing when you came out and mentioned about the code thinking everyone was already in the que, it helped me understand where the problem was. 

They have given an update. Which is what 90% of the posting was requesting. You now know there is no quick fix and no plans to release one in near future. It sucks but that's the way it is. No point banging on about it asking further questions anymore. Live with it or play something else. Give it a month and ask for another update. 

So its an acknowledged bug and is not a Trivial fix. Fair enough.

New game Development has likely already started. As its been proven that certain bugs are carried through each iteration of the game, what are the chances of any code which is to be implemented for '18 to correct existing issues, being tested as a patch for '17? 

At Least the One X version is looking well if still hampered by the same bugs. 

F1Support said:

FRACTURED said:
F1Support said:

It's November after all.

Yes it is better than no answer. But we still don't know if it's going to be fixed. That's what we want to know. There is no reason to play this game because of this bug. You have to look into that with the developers. We deserve an answer on this question. No answer is a no for me and no more Codemasters games for me. This bug is here since release so you have every reason to get it fixed. Even if it takes more time than you would like. 

F1Support said:

Ok, I know you are just doing your job and I stand up for codemasters, I don't need to be a genius to know its hard work, but the top telling their community workers there is no information to give is a disaster waiting. I am very patient for the game, but the top needs to start listening, I feel sorry for those who have to work with our appalling behaviour

How has this bug even been able to happen? Surely the coding which enables other teams to upgrade in sync would be the same for McLaren? 
How does a game even get released with this many bugs in it to start with? 
Absolutely shocking that you would allow people to buy your game at £50+ knowing it's nowhere near finished. 

jennyannem said:
Hi all,
I know you've all been asking about the teammate bug. Just to update you all: here at Codies we've spent a long time looking into this, and when the new R&D system was designed for F1 2017 certain constraints were placed upon the upgrades that the AI receive because of technical limitations. Our AI is trained to drive each car at each track, this is a time and computationally expensive thing to do for all the various combinations (track x car x weather x compound x tyre wear x fuel load). Training the AI to drive a car with many thousands of combinations of R&D parts applied by the player was deemed too risky and simply not possible in the time available so therefore the way that upgrades apply to the AI is not like for like with the player. Most of the time this system works well but in the case of engine upgrades it clearly has some deficiencies. The specific case of the McLaren because the Honda engine is down on power particularly highlights this issue. We’ve spent a lot of time looking at this issue, and, unfortunately it is simply not possible for us to fix this issue for F1 2017 because it would require too much time to fundamentally change the AI upgrade system, train all of the combinations and then test them adequately.
We apologise to those of you whose careers are being affected by this issue and will do everything we can to improve the AI upgrade system in the future.

Ok, so what they are saying is that this year's version of the game isn't an improvement, it's a sideways step! Last year your team mate would also receive the upgrades so you could take a team up the ranks, however this year you can't? But the r&d is more in depth. 

If that's the case then how do the r&d upgrades work for your opposing teams? Why do I see other teams improve there cars regularly throughout my career if these aren't actually being implemented in game? 

And telling us that it won't be fixed in this year's game is hardly an incentive to go and spend £50 on next year's one. 
Concentrate on the product that people have invested in. 
Why would I want to buy next year's game when you can't get this one right. 

gregger99 said:

Why would I want to buy next year's game when you can't get this one right. 
Well, to be honest, this question could / should have been asked the last few years too.

There were so many bugs in F1 2015 and F1 2016 that there were enough reasons to not buy 2017.

In my case, i though CM did at least a solid job patching f1 2015 (after its horrible start imo) and with dirt rally they were releasing a really good game (especially with its free content updates). i started to think they learned their lesson, f1 2016 and its tyre bug was a big let down for a long time (but at least they finally fixed this ...), so i gave them another chance for 2017 in my hope they would finally get it right.

2017 was a dissapointment too so far. with no patch for all the issues in sight it will be a very hard decision to buy another game on release (or at all).
cm should consider doing something like with 2013 / 2014 again, but use the additional time to finally fix their (old and in this case new) game. i dont need 20 more game modes if it already fails with its basics.

F1Support said:

FRACTURED said:
F1Support said:

It's November after all.
They acknowledge their own silence.... drop a line to appease the peasants and then revert to silence....
Slap in the face, delighted I got a full refund...these cowboys can do one!

To be honest I've come to the conclusion that the best way for them to deal with this issue now is to just increase the default straight line speed of Mclaren and Sauber. As long as all cars are doing between 204-198mph (may or may not be accurate top speed) by default then this issue can be reduced somewhat. At least then the Mclaren/Sauber teammate will actually stand a chance during the races if and when they're upgraded to the front.