Sign in to follow this  

Codemasters signs to do F1 games for 3 more years.

Very happy. But one thing occured to me. What if Codemasters decides to end its franchise? Who would take the roll of producing F1 games like Codemasters for better/worse. 

I have been very happy with F1 2017 - a great improvement in car handling. Looking forward to seeing the continued improvements. My personal focus would be on a good in-game telemetry system. Related to that - in this year's Singapore race the McLaren team was interviewed during it - and he said that 46 people were assigned to monitor telemetry during the race. 

I am new to the F1 series from Codemasters and I really enjoy it, yes there are bugs, yes there are faults, but it seems things are being addressed. Reading posts on this forum it seems F1 2016 had its bugs but lots of people were still playing it up to the release of 2017. Another indicator of a good game is the price it goes for a year down the line, seems to me 2016 held its price very well where a crap game would be be pumped out on the store shelves at a rock bottom price soon after launch. Good for you Codemasters, I for one am well chuffed you have been granted the license for the franchise for another 3 years

lol  ,  3 more years of frustration................. no thx... this was the last F1 Game from Codemaster for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes no difference to me.
After I'm done with '17... I'm done with F1 games.
I refuse to buy one as long as that abomination is being used on the cars.
So '18 onward, can do one.

Flazh92 said:
Who says they want to bring a game yearly?? What if they would work 2 years for the next F1 Game and give us only Livery updates as an 30 bucks addon? You don't know how their plan was but codies has the license for nearly a Decade now so I'd really welcome a change, since codies is going all in with those FIFA like updates..
Pretty sure, that FOM wants yearly releases, because MONEY. You can't debunk this, and you know it.
Flazh92 said:
One thing is for sure, if codies is going to give us an F1 Game EVERY year, don't expect major changes.. I mean how can they develop a "new" game within 6-8 Months while fixing all those bugs. They don't even listen to the community, like I posted before, I've never seen an developer on here asking what WE want as a community, because if we request something the answer will always be "we want to do that but in the future".
Of course I won't be expecting major changes. That's the minus side of yearly releases.The thing is: It would actually be better to allocate 2 different development teams to develop these games, this way they could have more than 6-8 months (like you said) to make the game, rather than game every 2 years and then "update" the game with livery add-ons, which I don't think is good idea AT ALL, because I think, that this whole paid DLC/add-ons (which in some cases were just major areas of the game chopped out just to get MORE MONEY out of gamers) are dumb af.

Well I seriously doubt anyone else could do any worse
*cough*EA*cough*

Personally don’t think this is a bad thing at all. CM have had a fair few years of experience in making F1 games and they have been getting better and better.

F1 2017 has the best feel and physics of any of the games in the series which is easily one of the most important aspects, something another developer could easily get very wrong. 
Dont get me wrong, 2017 is not “perfect” as such, it could potentially get close though depending on how many of the bugs in the game CM manage to iron out and fix over the next few weeks/months.
But even as it is I still find the game really enjoyable and love the deeper career/R&D and more technical aspects of parts wearing and failing more frequently. 

I do wish they could add even more depth to the career mode though and possibly incorporate GP3 and Formula 2 at the start, even if they were shortened calendars to still keep the main focus on formula 1. Maybe CM aren’t able to due to rights issues??
(can’t imagine why Liberty Media wouldn’t let them though, surely it wouldnt hurt to promote the other formula tiers/divisions?)

Also enjoying the classic cars but wish they could add a few of the classic circuits into the games too, even if it’s just as extras and not necessarily part of the career mode. 

As others have said, maybe due to the time constraints of releasing a new title every year doesn’t help. Can’t imagine CMs main selling point of F1 2018 being “exactly the same as last year, except less bugs, ... oh, plus added halo!”.
 In other words it can’t be easy to add new features as well as improve physics and graphics and have every bug ironed out completely, at least not with new titles released every year. I’m sure they’ll get there eventually but can’t help having such a tight schedule as they do.
Plus I think it would be naive to think another developers offerings wouldn’t come without bugs, plus with them being in the same situation of time constraints as CM are. 

I think CM need to invest in tuning track complexity to the console. I’ve driven tracks without a single flaw and others with many flaws. Tree details seems to be a recurring theme. 

Running PS4 Pro, motion blur 0, 1080P

I love the codemasters f1 games. F1 2017 is great fun and I think the SMS formula A stuff in project cars is poor really. Doing the open wheel career was frustrating.

I do want pcars 2 to be great.

Great, another 3 years of small little "babysteps" and reoccuring gamemodes of the past, another 3 years of empty promises like "it's in the list for future development", another 3 years of missing officiality and accuracy etc. etc. etc.

Seriously if we are truly honest with ourselves and compare Codies efforts to their competitors, nothing Codies offers in its F1 franchise is even remotely better than being a mediocre abomination of a casual f(iretr)uck - fest.

Old dinosaurs like Gp4 + F1 Challenge 99-02 + F1 CE + F1 97 have more quality, officiality and creativity in them than all of Codies F1 titles combined, and that's just sad to say the least.

Also to all complaining about PCars1, yes it had and still has lots of bugs but PCars2 is a ridiculously massive step up to PCars1, if SMS had the F1 licence for 2018 onwards i'm sure they'd easily be able to offer seasonal dlcs with updated cars and updated tracks, not to mention that they already have got at least half of F1s tracklist in their base game and that their physics and handling model as well as their gamemodes are far superior to Codies iterations in terms of racing and feeling the car.

All SMS would have to do is to properly put some gimmicks in the form of player individuality and upgrading your car into their game as well as offering a thorough tutorial mode / driving school for newcomers and scrubs, their career mode already has got all the missing bits and pieces that Codies never adressed (feeder serieses for instance) and their weather model / physics and handling model is a huge step up to Codies whilst not being too unfair to casuals and pad racers.

It's no rocket science at all to build the ultimate F1, or rather racing, "simcade", and having SMS as a competitor would force Codemasters to up their game drastically to be able to stay in the biz, a win win situation for everyone involved!

It's been 9 years with Codies and they are still running miles off the pace, if F1 2017 came out in 2012, this game would have been "revolutionary" but either way nowadays the competition is just too far ahead and i doubt Codies will be able to close that gap in very short 3 years.....

"It's no rocket science at all to build the ultimate F1, or rather racing, "simcade"..."

Oh, really? Pls do me a favor and make sure to PM me, when your perfect F1 game is ready. I'd be happy to buy it! 

Bunch of text written by LilBrown47, that's not really needed to make this thing so frigging long...
Yet again, how do you know, if Slightly Mad Studios would even be interested to make a Formula 1 game? The Formula A, or whatever it is in Project Cars aren't enough for an answer, so don't use it as a answer.

Ah. Then. Obviously FOM and Liberty Media then wanted to go with Codemasters. What's been done is been done. No need to whine about it afterwards. 

Other than that, I don't want to see SMS anywhere near the F1 licence, not that I would hate them, but I just don't trust them any more, than I trust Codies, because, no matter how much peeps here like and love SMS, it wouldn't be possible to do any worse, but neither any better on the same time frame, than Codies, and believe me, I bet, that Liberty Media, and FOM both want yearly release, not just release every 2 years, and then year after DLC or add-on update. Because, again give us your money.

Rocket league is better than this and that tells you all you need to know.

Whut!?!? You can now race a F1 season in Rocket League? 

"It's no rocket science at all to build the ultimate F1, or rather racing, "simcade"..."

Oh, really? Pls do me a favor and make sure to PM me, when your perfect F1 game is ready. I'd be happy to buy it! 
Geoff Crammond nearly build the perfect F1 game ages ago with some horrible hardware, if people like him happened to build another F1 title with todays technology we'd be completely shocked by the possibilities and chances that Codies did not care to take.

But the problem doesn't necessarily or ratger exclusively lie in Codemasters, it's first and utmost our ignorance and greed that enables these practices.

Why you might ask, because we continously keep on buying these "half-arsed" F1 titles and support these anti consumer practices voluntarily on a annual basis.

If people truly care about Codemasters and or the quality of their beloved F1 games, they'll need to realize that only a boycott is going to work out to make Codies understand that their efforts have been too little in such a long period of time, but by doing that the F1 franchise itself could possibly get endangered hence why my final words in my previous post tried to state that only some healthy competition will undo the damage that has been growing like cancer in Codies F1 franchise.

And seeing as Codies supposedly got the exclusivity of the F1 licence once again for the following 3 straight years, we can expect the same cycle to continue.

But of course mate keep on defending a company that is run by "suits" that only care about our hard earned money.....

#SpeakWithYourWallet

Geoff Crammond nearly build the perfect F1 game ages ago with some horrible hardware, if people like him happened to build another F1 title with todays technology we'd be completely shocked by the possibilities and chances that Codies did not care to take.

But the problem doesn't necessarily or ratger exclusively lie in Codemasters, it's first and utmost our ignorance and greed that enables these practices.

Why you might ask, because we continously keep on buying these "half-arsed" F1 titles and support these anti consumer practices voluntarily on a annual basis.

If people truly care about Codemasters and or the quality of their beloved F1 games, they'll need to realize that only a boycott is going to work out to make Codies understand that their efforts have been too little in such a long period of time, but by doing that the F1 franchise itself could possibly get endangered hence why my final words in my previous post tried to state that only some healthy competition will undo the damage that has been growing like cancer in Codies F1 franchise.

And seeing as Codies supposedly got the exclusivity of the F1 licence once again for the following 3 straight years, we can expect the same cycle to continue.

But of course mate keep on defending a company that is run by "suits" that only care about our hard earned money.....

#SpeakWithYourWallet

Geoff did it in a time where it was much easier to develop a game by yourself. Would be impossible with today's technology to do it alone. You would at least need a team. And even then I highly doubt they could make a better game. I think you really underestimate developing a game nowadays. 

Not sure what to think of this. There's two sides.

Codemasters have been doing F1 games for quite a while now so have the experience and are well known to those who deal with the license stuff in F1. I remember Steve Hood, who used to be a big paty of the F1 series, that a few years in, CM were now known in the paddock and familiar in the paddock so that helped make things smoother.

However, that's not enough reason for them to stay, although obviously they are doing just that for 3 years. F1 games have not progressed as I or many here hoped in 2010. Being asked questions in press conferences after races was so great, and after 2010 we never saw that again. 2011 was really good, I loved the menus of 2011 (and 2010) and from 2012 on for a few years, it felt like more of the same, more or less. 2015 put us back at square one and here we are now.

Ultimaately, I enjoy the gameplay which is the most important thing. But I see complaints many years about multiplayer which is disappointing and CM keep doing the same cutscenes and stuff like that. It feels pretty static. Stuff like Championships mode doesn't interest me so I don't see it as a plus. Classic cars are cool but without classic tracks I don't think they're really worth it, and even with tracks they're not that necessary to me personally.

I've not played Assetto Corsa, but many comments I red about the Ferrari is how well its modelled, the detail, energy recovery and so on. Could they really extend that detail to a full grid, every single year? I have my doubts. The "career" is not much of a career from what I know. More like races grouped together. And as a sim how would they cater to a more mainstream audience?

Similar with SMS. I realy enjoyed Project Cars 1, been very lookeing forward to 2 which I'm currently downloading. But the attitude of Ian Bell and many on the official forums including mods is disappointing. For example, how Ian in that 7 or so hour video reacts to it being called simcade is ridiculous. He's the owner of it all and he arrogantly dismisses him, telling him to f off and saying to not give him that ****. Being honest is one thing but there can be such thing as too much. Scripted weather in career is disappointing too. I'm not demanding it be linked to real-time weather or any of that. The defence of "Our way is still really good" from a few people on the forums is surely trying to spin it as a positive. Adding predictability to a racing/sports game is rearely, if ever, a good thing.

Overall, I'd have doubts about Kunos and SMS handling the F1 license. It's a massive responsibility. Only developer I would actually be quite interested to see with it is EA. A long time has passed since they last had it and they are vastly experienced with sports games.

Geoff did it in a time where it was much easier to develop a game by yourself. Would be impossible with today's technology to do it alone. You would at least need a team. And even then I highly doubt they could make a better game. I think you really underestimate developing a game nowadays. 
@Raalte

Mate of course he'd need a team, lol. 

Still nothing changes the situation that Gp4 is still better in some aspects compared to the newest entry of Codies F1 title (attention to detail / advanced weather model as well as a advanced physics and handling model / officiality etc.), and even some of the current competitors on the console market offer much more as they are directly competing with each other (Forza series / GT series / PCars series) hence why it's not inconceivable to assume that other studios could do at least a bit more with their already existing base platform of a game if Codies iteration feels so stagnant and empty.

Empty promises by Codies are a petty standard we got used to as they don't fear any competition and as we blindly keep paying, some healthy competition is all we need.

Also developing a game on a annual basis is always going to be somewhat 'difficult' that's absolutely true, but Codies have been using the same engine for so many years, it's not like they do it all from scratch everytime a new F1 title comes out, using the same game engine for several years will make it more and more unlikely to create 'amateurish' mistakes yet here we are having a disaster of a launch once again.

I'm a 'hobby' programmer myself and accumulated a little bit of experience on a couple of projects back in my college days, and having a solid game engine as a base will make everything ten times easier.

Developing a game isn't as difficult as people tend to make it, especially in todays day and age where most game engines are super accessible.

I highly doubt that the ego engine is badly scripted to its core as Codies have got 30 years of experience on their belt right in the gaming branche itself, if that's not commendable i don't know what is.

@Raalte

Still nothing changes the situation that Gp4 is still better in some aspects compared to the newest entry of Codies F1 title (attention to detail / advanced weather model as well as a advanced physics and handling model / officiality etc.), and even some of the current competitors on the console market offer much more as they are directly competing with each other (Forza series / GT series / PCars series) hence why it's not inconceivable to assume that other studios could do at least a bit more with their already existing base platform of a game if Codies iteration feels so stagnant and empty.

Empty promises by Codies are a petty standard we got used to as they don't fear any competition and as we blindly keep paying, some healthy competition is all we need.

Also developing a game on a annual basis is always going to be somewhat 'difficult' that's absolutely true, but Codies have been using the same engine for so many years, it's not like they do it all from scratch everytime a new F1 title comes out, using the same game engine for several years will make it more and more unlikely to create 'amateurish' mistakes yet here we are having a disaster of a launch once again.

I'm a 'hobby' programmer myself and accumulated a little bit of experience on a couple of projects back in my college days, and having a solid game engine as a base will make everything ten times easier.

Developing a game isn't as difficult as people tend to make it, especially in todays day and age where most game engines are super accessible.

I highly doubt that the ego engine is badly scripted to its core as Codies have got 30 years of experience on their belt right in the gaming branche itself, if that's not commendable i don't know what is.

which promises? :D I never saw a developer around here asking what the community want  to have in the Game. Even if developing a game is difficult codemasters still would have enough time to give us some "big" features..

Let's see what they did this year for example. They added a skill tree and "tweaked" the gameplay a little bit and added classic cars. Thats it!

The Menu is the same, animations are the same, Career is basically the same im not feeling like im an F1 driver at all since they dont want to add things like interviews, walking through the paddock, celebration lap, driving to starting grid before race starts etc etc... Career mode feels more like a manager mode.

Gameplay is fine where it is now, but please bring more inovation to the franchise!

Rocket league is better than this and that tells you all you need to know.
That implies that something is seriously wrong with rocket league and even then it's a dumbass comparison.

Flazh92 said:
@Raalte

which promises? :D I never saw a developer around here asking what the community want  to have in the Game. Even if developing a game is difficult codemasters still would have enough time to give us some "big" features..

Let's see what they did this year for example. They added a skill tree and "tweaked" the gameplay a little bit and added classic cars. Thats it!

The Menu is the same, animations are the same, Career is basically the same im not feeling like im an F1 driver at all since they dont want to add things like interviews, walking through the paddock, celebration lap, driving to starting grid before race starts etc etc... Career mode feels more like a manager mode.

Gameplay is fine where it is now, but please bring more inovation to the franchise!

That's unfair. They do a survey (can't remember when it started but they definitely had it last year) to try to find out what the community wants.

No safety car in F1 2015 - people complained about it, so they added it in 2016.

The career was not deep enough in 2016, so they upgraded it in 2017. They added the classic cars because presumably that came out top in the survey.

They also implemented community testing/beta for the handling.

So the claim that they don't listen IMO is not true. What may be true to claim is that they don't implement all the things that are asked for (limited resources), or the things they do implement they don't do well enough.

For me the biggest recurring problem I see on here is multiplayer. But I can kind of understand why it is so difficult to properly test the multiplayer stuff, as many bugs may be due to local internet connection issues and not the netcode. Still, if they are serious about esports to me this must be the #1 priority. Handling at the moment there seems to be very few complaints about.

I don't want to see the licanse taken away from Codemasters, but i would like an open license with multiple F1 titles from different companies.