Sign in to follow this  

Is there a point to engine overheating? or is it there for decoration?

Hatta or anyone who knows: Is there a point to engine overheating?
On some of the gameplay videos I have noticed the engine indicator in the HUD turns bright red when the engine gets hot. Is there any real consequence to this? does the engine blow? or is it merely for decoration?
I remember the same feature (if you can call it a feature!) was in F1 2010 but nothing happened if you ignored it.
For example if a driver in the current season of F1 ignores a component overheating there will be a consequence (Brakes will ultimately fail, Engine will blow, Battery will explode etc etc

Overheating does take away a degree of power from the engine.  You’ll certainly find it harder to overtake with a red hot engine, so pulling out of the slipstream and letting it cool will help.

In other words why yes, yes it is a decoration, just like most of what Codemasters puts into F1 games... Which isn't much to begin with anyways.

In other words why yes, yes it is a decoration, just like most of what Codemasters puts into F1 games... Which isn't much to begin with anyways.
I know what you mean. I would like to see Codies add these kinds of things in next gen version. It would improve the game and add consequences to people trashing the engine (especially when traction control is on full). Same with braking it would be cool being told by engineer to lift and coast to cool brakes otherwise they can fail. I understand Codies have to appeal to all types of gamers but these types of things should be available as an option for more sim orientated players. Also it would sort out the wheat from the chaff online being able to host races with higher level of simulation.
Besides where else are Codies going to go with the series? There's only a certain amount of times you can sell the same thing. If you look at FIFA and PES they have evolved over time from a basic 3 button football game to a complex game they requires multiple button combinations with ever increased detail to represent every detail of the real game. It's that detail that is missing in Codies F1 games. They've pretty much nailed the driving and physics now can we please have a game that mirrors the real sport....starting with a full race weekend etc

Well feel free to overheat your engine and suffer the consequences then. :P A loss of power (especially) online will still prove troublesome, admittedly not as much as an engine failure - but there is consequence. 

Hatta said:
Well feel free to overheat your engine and suffer the consequences then. :P A loss of power (especially) online will still prove troublesome, admittedly not as much as an engine failure - but there is consequence. 
Would the loss of power affect lap time more than going off the racing line to avoid the dirty air ?