Sign in to follow this  

Fuel saving and techniques!

Interesting video from AAVARA about the fuel saving in 2014..... There were questions here in other threads about the red light on the gear change and what it meant. It seems if you change gear when this light comes on, and not the green/red/purple lights as before, you save fuel but lose lap time, whereas if you rev with the lights by not shifting early you have more performance and lap time but burn much more fuel!! Looks interesting...... Looking forward to this more and more with the tricky handling and stratagy!!! :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-pIV1y_FI&list=UU-46hTnlyW3aCwjHs2acDzg

Hi Hammymansel

i believe due to the patch this has changed and the red light lights up like in 2013?

Burnnie said:
Hi Hammymansel

i believe due to the patch this has changed and the red light lights up like in 2013?
Hi mate........... Ahh really?? so it was a glitch more than anything else...... At least it's been fixed! :) I hope it takes nothing away from the challenge of fuel saving!!

dont think it was a glitch, the red light was set at the optimum to save fuel as demonstrated in the video above

Burnnie said:
dont think it was a glitch, the red light was set at the optimum to save fuel as demonstrated in the video above
Ok i see......... But that makes me think why couldn't they integrate that into the game as another thing to adjust in a race, to fuel save you could use the original pre patch 'rev indicator' and to push on the now patched rev system!!! It would be good and a way to tell the difference!!

So just to clarify, after patch: to save fuel you have to up-shift when the red leds are on, and to go faster you up-shift on the purple leds? (disregarding the blinking)

No DoctorMuerte, before the patch it was to save fuel when the red light came on, post patch is just a rev limiter indicator 

Very interesting, thanks for posting.  I was going to take a pass at the game this year, but I might change my mind as this adds a new strategy.

Burnnie said:
No DoctorMuerte, before the patch it was to save fuel when the red light came on, post patch is just a rev limiter indicator 
I understand, but how do you save fuel by shifting "early" then? Listening to the engine? Shifting even before the red lights showing up? Or the only way to save fuel is "lifting and coasting" technique?

So this red light no longer comes up to save fuel? That sounds better to me personally as it adds to the challenge. Much better not being "driver coached" by the game.

Doctor- Basically avoid hitting the rev limiter for each gear if you're fuel saving. Shift up when the rev lights are green. Also lifting and coasting. Lift off the throttle before the braking point. That is assuming the game works like real of course. (Not played the game or watched the above video). It worked in 2013 anyway.

I think it was a stupid decison to change the point at which the LEDs light up. They now light up like 15000 RPM is the best shift point, when in real life it is actually 12000 RPM. How in God's name is that an improvement? Just says that they don't give a crap about replicating the mechanics of the sport truly.