Sign in to follow this  

Flashbacks in online races Yes/No?

So as the thread title reads do you want Flashbacks in the online racing or not? My thoughts; my instincts tell me No as I believe it encourages reckless/careless driving as was evident in Grid 2. This feature is not set in stone, it would be quite simple for Codemasters to switch this on or off before the game releases so here's your chance to let Codemasters know what you think :)

As I'm unable to Edit my original post due no doubt to this forum being in beta here's further clarification about my original post above.

This vote is for Flashbacks in the Public Playlists and when I say Public Playlists I am not referring to Custom Playlists where various options are chosen by the Host. Public Playlists do not have a Host and have all options set up by Codemasters such as Car Damage On or Off. If a Host in Custom Playlists wants to add Flashbacks then so be it as we all have a choice if we want to join that race lobby.

Flashbacks are there, if you want to race without them then the custom playlists have all the options you need, as you said.

Official playlists will have flashbacks on.

custom playlist have big defect.. host kick, any hope to set an option to make a custom list with a kick-vote, let set as option this too

Ok thanks for the reply.

Can you say whether they are going to work the same way as in Grid 2 or will they be implemented differently at all?

Sorry, but I'm going against the trend.

If you want serious, 'hardcore' racing with proper drivers, when in the world do you think going on the quick lobby is a good idea? There
will always be the drivers who ram or whateva, so having a flashback to recover from the yobbos is incredibly useful, and removes a proportion of the pain of being rammed off. And it hardly encourages them to cause collisions. No flashbacks on F1, yet we still get plenty of imbeciles. Rammers will always ram.

Those complaining about flashbacks, obviously don't want to be rammed off. So you'd be better suited to being in your own custom lobby with your own rules and parameters, where yes, you can turn off flash backs. This sounds a heck of a lot more suitable for yourselves.

So really, yes, we do need flashbacks in the quick lobbies.

If you want serious, 'hardcore' racing with proper drivers, when in the world do you think going on the quick lobby is a good idea? There
will always be the drivers who ram or whateva, so having a flashback to recover from the yobbos is incredibly useful, and removes a proportion of the pain of being rammed off. And it hardly encourages them to cause collisions. No flashbacks on F1, yet we still get plenty of imbeciles. Rammers will always ram.

Those complaining about flashbacks, obviously don't want to be rammed off. So you'd be better suited to being in your own custom lobby with your own rules and parameters, where yes, you can turn off flash backs. This sounds a heck of a lot more suitable for yourselves.

+1 It is utterly annoying when some latex pig slams into you and takes you far into the gravel trap. We need flashbacks in quick lobbys.

It's my opinion that flashbacks has nothing to do in any racegame.
It's a mechanic for little children that cant stand they made an error or are caught up in someones other error so I voted no.
But I will be mainly hosting myself in custom events or joins friends session who have turned it off.
And we kick rammers faster then you can blinck an eye.  :D

I think that sums it up rather well.

Sorry guys, but if you want the ultra hardcore racing experience then the custom playlists are where you'll find a home, we really have given you a huge variety of options in there to really customise your racing experience.

It's a mechanic for little children that cant stand they made an error or are caught up in someones other error so I voted no.
But I will be mainly hosting myself in custom events or joins friends session who have turned it off.
blink* and really? If someone going full pelt into you as you slow down sensibly for a turn counts as an "error", I am Ryan Mckane!

TDDB said:
blink* and really? If someone going full pelt into you as you slow down sensibly for a turn counts as an "error", I am Ryan Mckane!
I think you are talking about delibrate rammers isn't it?
Thats why we need streaming text chat instead of that voice shit from steam (which I asume is the one in the game).
Because I wont use that and people who make a general mistake can make an apoligee thru the textchat.
Rammers will never make an excuse for that in my experience.
And I and think the friends I play with aswell will keep a list with users who delibartly chrashes.
So they can be recognised when they enter the session and kicked out on first oppertunity.

How do flashbacks online work?
If it's anything like GRID 2 or DiRT 3, you bonk the flashback button, and your car gets respawned from slightly further back from where you are, on the racing line, but ghosted for a second or two, with a rolling start.

How do flashbacks online work?
If it's anything like GRID 2 or DiRT 3, you bonk the flashback button, and your car gets respawned from slightly further back from where you are, on the racing line, but ghosted for a second or two, with a rolling start.
LOL - I simply can't imagine this for a online race..
Maybe for F1 Stars or something, but in a "semi-sim" car game? =;
I might have missunderstood what this game is about.

So basically gives people the option to drive how they like at the start with very little consequences.  Also theres nothing more annoying than driving along and a few ghost cars flashing in front of you.

Never been a fan of flashback in online.

Loore said:
Flashbacks are there, if you want to race without them then the custom playlists have all the options you need, as you said.

Official playlists will have flashbacks on.
So Codies did not learn the lessens from GRID 2 online. :(

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? With flashback online, that just encourages the griefers to do more damage, not less. Griefers where taking players out, use a flashback and end up in front of player they took out and headed on to their next target. :(

Good PC players will be staying away form the public playlists. There goes your longevity for GRID Autosport when after a month, players going online find the playlist with only a few players in the lobby or no players at.

Griefers will not care about the damage they do to their car, if they still can cause mayhem online. Look like I will be waiting for a Steam summer sale again to pickup GRID Autosport, to do some GRID style derby racing, where we love to tear apart Griefers. There no whinny in a derby race, anything goes.

Loore said:

Sorry guys, but if you want the ultra hardcore racing experience then the custom playlists are where you'll find a home, we really have given you a huge variety of options in there to really customise your racing experience.
I agree I like to have a flashback ready for me if I make a mistake and if I was  to platy online I'd only play in a lobby that had them as I'm not particularly good and I mostly play for fun

Loore said:

Ok well as in GRID 2, when some decides to block you from overtaking, or has done something to piss you off, with flashbacks, I can T-BONE that person, hit them in the right spot so it does take them out, and hit flashback just as I do it.  Allowing me to flashback 1st, thus gaining the place.   Thats the reason it shouldnt be there, That is how it gets used in Grid 2, and if you leave it in the public playlist, it will happen on Autosport.   85% of the poll says, no to flashbacks. 

Codemasters, this is the time to be taking this feedback in,  Forza - no  flashback. NFS - no flashback, PGR series, no flashback.  

The only people who want flashbacks in, are not your Hardcore Racing fans, and will no doubt lose interest in the game after a short while. Grid 1 didnt have them,  Everyone loved Grid 1, and wanted Grid 2 to be the same, but with more cars, tracks, and better graphics.  Leave flashbacks to custom lobbies. 

Dont cater the game so a noob can play it.  Make the game, and if people suck at it, they have to get better or stop playing.  The whole risk of having a crash is something that adds to the feel an excitetment of the race,  With a flash back,  what does it matter if you crash? 

I dont want to crash, every time I do a race, im trying to get the best, smoothest lap I can. Always trying to improve, Thats part of the long term appeal of a good racing game.  

You say you were not happy with the feedback from GRID 2, well HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOO here is the chance not to screwup again.  Its a small thing, thats has a very very big negative impact. 
Seriously, LEAVE THE FLASHBACK OUT.  

Loore, please stop assuming that a custom lobby is the answer.  I dont want to play in a custom lobby, Its just not the same.  Maybe if your a casual gamer that only wants to race your friends custom is good.  But I want to be in the public playlist where anyone can join, good or bad.  Flashbacks will turn your public lobbies into ramfests, and your will be reading lots of angry feedback.  

Your feedback community is telling you NO.  The customer is always right.  No Flashbacks please.  Thanks. 

And no I wont play in a custom lobby, if there are flashbacks, they will be used the same as Grid 2. 

Seriously 14% wants flashback, 

85% dont want them.  

Its really very simple CM.  

Your going to ignore 85% of the people who are paying money to you again, after GRID 2.  

Does that make good for good reviews or feedback.  

It basically says to the community 85% of our opinions dont matter, but we'll take your money thanks. 

Fix that attitude CM