Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mastering your setup

I presume you are taking car set up and not whether you should have a wheel versus controller type setup. Go Online, Google 'F1 2017 set ups' and start looking around, choose a setup for the car you are driving, aply it and drive. Then tweak it if you need (maybe more or less wing, camber) whatever it maybe. Its better starting from a setup that you can be confident is pretty decent and then adjusting minor things than using a default setup and trying to 'chase the car'. Doing it that way you normally change a few things at once and never quite know what changes made what difference  

I should also mention that i also presume that you understand what specific changes do i.e camber, suspension and such. If not then its better to take the time and understand what each thing does first to help you understand why your car is behaving the way it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VvTbfkLmU&t=1237s

TRL Limitless did a beautiful explainer video on setups.

I just run default balance myself since thats what the AI do then its even. For example at monza you can get a ridicilous speed advantage with a low downforce set up while AI stupidly uses balanced default. Same with monaco they do not go for more downforce.

Really wish they would set the AI cars properly.

pijin said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8VvTbfkLmU&t=1237s

TRL Limitless did a beautiful explainer video on setups.
Had seen that video. Wish he had given some explanation for adjusting settings for the calibration of the controller!

What specifically about the controller setup are you after? 
I had started a thread where I mentioned hat no matter what my setup, te AI cars streak past me on a straight. I was suggested to check he calibration settings of my controller. I did that yesterday. All of the settings (such as Throttle linearity, deadzone etc.) are set on 0 by default. I'm unaware which settings to touch & which to leave aside.

Oh okay, at the bottom of the advanced settings' there is a bar which shows how much throttle and steering is applied,, is it at 100% when you fully depress R2,, Or whatever you have assigned as the throttle? 

Oh okay, at the bottom of the advanced settings' there is a bar which shows how much throttle and steering is applied,, is it at 100% when you fully depress R2,, Or whatever you have assigned as the throttle? 
This is all what I saw:
Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Linearity - 0
Steering Saturation - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Linearity - 0
Throttle Saturation - 0
BrakeSaturation - 0
Brake Saturation - 0
Brake Saturation - 0
Below these, there are slider settings for Steering (which is in the middle), throttle & brake which are to the extreme left..

@Uday9479

You have still yet to answer, what does the accelerator box do when you apply full throttle? Is it giving 100%? Is it giving about 95%? 

Can you post a video of your laps even, I believe the HUD also has Accelerator and Brake input boxes so you can see what level of pressure is being applied. This was a fairly common issue in '16 and there are users this year who have had it, who followed the instructions and were able to increase Throttle saturation slightly to counter act a problem with their control pad.

FRACTURED said:
@Uday9479

You have still yet to answer, what does the accelerator box do when you apply full throttle? Is it giving 100%? Is it giving about 95%? 

Can you post a video of your laps even, I believe the HUD also has Accelerator and Brake input boxes so you can see what level of pressure is being applied. This was a fairly common issue in '16 and there are users this year who have had it, who followed the instructions and were able to increase Throttle saturation slightly to counter act a problem with their control pad.
Regarding Your 1st question - application of throttle, are You referring to when driving in Auto transmission or when in neutral at a standstill on the startline?
I play in 'Far Chase' view. I believe the HUD ain't visible in this.

If the HUD is not available then please check in the advanced settings as we have asked. Or change to T-Cam (Please, T-Cam Police stand down this is just to assist. I am not advocating T-Cam) as I know from T-Cam in the bottom right shows your throttle and brake inputs. 
It doesn't matter what transmission you are using as I only want you to check inputs :)
I have about two more explanations in me before I start tearing out hair.

People think there may be an issue with your pad not registering 100% throttle. Please let me know if you are understanding what I am saying.

FRACTURED said:
If the HUD is not available then please check in the advanced settings as we have asked. Or change to T-Cam (Please, T-Cam Police stand down this is just to assist. I am not advocating T-Cam) as I know from T-Cam in the bottom right shows your throttle and brake inputs. 
It doesn't matter what transmission you are using as I only want you to check inputs :)
I have about two more explanations in me before I start tearing out hair.

People think there may be an issue with your pad not registering 100% throttle. Please let me know if you are understanding what I am saying.

Will check all this with T-Cam & update You.
Appreciate Your patience.

Uday9479 said:
I'm not the most patient :)

I'm just hoping the issue is something simple like this so you can (hopefully) enjoy the game.

FRACTURED said:
Uday9479 said:
I'm not the most patient :)

I'm just hoping the issue is something simple like this so you can (hopefully) enjoy the game.
Guess what!!!!
I just made a small change to Throttle Saturation. Changed it to 5.
I played the event where Kvyat has to finish 6th or above. I saw the changes immediately. Not only was I able to overtake the AI cars (I chose the 2nd fastest default setup) but also was able to keep up with Verstappen (who was in 2nd place). Usually, any AI car would disappear in the distance but this time I was always in Verstappen's mirrors. I overtook him 1 lap before the chequered flag & finished in 2nd. Currently, am in 79th position in the event. I used a few flashbacks as I didn't pit & took a risk of continuing with the current tyres.
Question is shall I make any changes to Throttle Deadzone & Linearity?

They should be alright as they are I don't think you should have to touch them.

Deadzone is only useful if your trigger is registering input when there is none (more common to see this with users who use right analog for throttle on pad (sounds strange but people often map it this way, its pretty effective).

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/throttle-linearity-brake-linearity.117974/

Some info from last years game that should give you an idea of what they do!

Good to hear that you seem faster now...but did you already check ulif your controller registers the full 100% ?

That is what fractured tried to make clear.

You can check this either in t-cam while driving (red and green bar) or at the advanced settings... When you press your throttle or brake these sliders will move to the right, is this 100% for you?

Your qoute:
Below these, there are slider settings for Steering (which is in the middle), throttle & brake which are to the extreme left..

SgtKubica said:
So, basically one question. How do I find a setup that works/is suitable for me?
On time trial, I use the setups of a racer called Beasthas - he's always near the top and his setups are well balanced and suit me (I have a classic smooth style, I'm not super late breaker or a lairy drifter)! 

But these set ups can't be used in the career, as they don't look after the tyres enough to get decent tyre life... After much experimentation, I have concluded that NOTHING beats the preset options in the set ups.  Over a race distance, no amount of tinkering overs any benefit. Its a placebo I reckon. I'll post what I use when I have time.

FRACTURED said:
They should be alright as they are I don't think you should have to touch them.

Deadzone is only useful if your trigger is registering input when there is none (more common to see this with users who use right analog for throttle on pad (sounds strange but people often map it this way, its pretty effective).

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/throttle-linearity-brake-linearity.117974/

Some info from last years game that should give you an idea of what they do!
I tried the event again & this time I overtook Verstappen much earlier to take P2. I was even closing on Hamilton who was in P1.
The majot difference that I'm seeing is better traction & acceleration. I used to hardly touch 300km/h on the main straight (even with DRS) but now I was regularly touching that speed. I also realised that when behind an AI car, i was getting a better slipstream than before.

Good to hear that you seem faster now...but did you already check ulif your controller registers the full 100% ?

That is what fractured tried to make clear.

You can check this either in t-cam while driving (red and green bar) or at the advanced settings... When you press your throttle or brake these sliders will move to the right, is this 100% for you?

Your qoute:
To see whether it's registering 100% output, I had to stick my eyes to the screen. Most of the times it was full but at times it would go a little lower. Could be when upshifting earlier or when negotiating a turn in a higher gear.
This was the 1st time I felt competitive enough since buying the F1 2017 game. I thoroughly enjoyed the event that I played twice in the past hour.
Appreciate all the suggestions (not to mention patience) that came along.

If the throttle is still a little 'twitchy' even when you have the button fully depressed, up the saturation 1 or 2 more, put the dead zone back to 0 tho

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game now. Because of my default calibration settings, every TT or championship race I took part in, it was a disaster.
Today, I took part in the mini championship (where the entire calendar is covered with 1 shot qualy & 5 laps to race). I drove Spain, Monaco, Canada & Baku. I came in 3rd & 4th for the 1st two where for the latter 2, I won. This was not conceivable earlier.
I tried qualy in Austria & came 3rd. Before Spain when I used to take part in qualy, I used to not qualify higher than 18th as all AI cars would zoom by on the straights.
All this feels like a revelation now.

Preset set up downforce levels that work for me on Career (Level 102, Ferrari, PS4). I've tested these extensively in practice sessions and these give the best overall race pace imo. Generally, I think its best to run as much downforce as possible without sacrificing too much top speed - so you may think some of these are on the high side. But I feel that over 60 odd laps it's better to have a car easier to drive, especially as the tyres wear. 

Australia - High
China - Low
Bahrain - Medium
Russia - Low
Spain - High
Monaco - Ultra High
Canada - Low
Baku - Ultra Low
Austria - Medium
Silverstone - Medium
Hungary - High
Spa - Low
Monza - Ultra Low
Singapore - High
Malaysia - Med
Suzuka - Medium
USA - Medium
Mexico - Low
Brazil - High
Abu Dhabi - Medium

Preset set up downforce levels that work for me on Career (Level 102, Ferrari, PS4). I've tested these extensively in practice sessions and these give the best overall race pace imo. Generally, I think its best to run as much downforce as possible without sacrificing too much top speed - so you may think some of these are on the high side. But I feel that over 60 odd laps it's better to have a car easier to drive, especially as the tyres wear. 

Australia - High
China - Low
Bahrain - Medium
Russia - Low
Spain - High
Monaco - Ultra High
Canada - Low
Baku - Ultra Low
Austria - Medium
Silverstone - Medium
Hungary - High
Spa - Low
Monza - Ultra Low
Singapore - High
Malaysia - Med
Suzuka - Medium
USA - Medium
Mexico - Low
Brazil - High
Abu Dhabi - Medium

Thanks. I still have to start career. I'm now focusing my time on TT's & championship races. I'm in midst of the 1st championship, where I'm driving a '17 car around current tracks with 1 shot qualifying & 5 laps for the race.