Sign in to follow this  

2017 Pooji TV Japanese Grand Prix

I think they really need to sort out the Virtual Safety Car. At the last one (and I think the first one too just don't have the numbers), Verstappen was 2.x behind Hamilton, but by the end Hamilton was ahead by 5.x.

It's because the time gap between cars is dependent on speed, so when the cars enter VSC the gaps always increase throughout the field. 

To try and give an example - if you were stood by the side of the track and a leading car passes you at a certain point, and there's a trailing car 10 car lengths behind - the trailing car will take longer to get to you if it's going at 100mph compared to say 150mph.

@AMS97KRR It’s pretty pathetic isn’t it, he had a good reason for being late as his car was broken. 

I think they really need to sort out the Virtual Safety Car. At the last one (and I think the first one too just don't have the numbers), Verstappen was 2.x behind Hamilton, but by the end Hamilton was ahead by 5.x. Had that not been the case, Verstappen might have had an extra lap or so to battle Hamilton for the win. I get why VSC Is a thing, and I think it's a good thing, but this isn't the first time the gaps haven't been kept. It goes both ways too.

How are they actually enforced? Do the drivers just have a delta to follow? Or is it like slow zones at Le Mans where the drivers are actually speed limited?

I prefer the Le Mans approach, as the F1 VSC doesn't actually improve safety drastically in my opinion - a delta leads to drivers slowing right down then speeding up to get tyre/brake temperatures up, which means for a part of the sector, they are at practically racing speed. Why not just force them to put on the pit limiter, as at this speed the engines have enough power for the drivers to slightly ride the brakes to keep brake temps up and with the tyre temps, the brakes will heat them a little, and everyone will be in the same boat come the restart.

I think they really need to sort out the Virtual Safety Car. At the last one (and I think the first one too just don't have the numbers), Verstappen was 2.x behind Hamilton, but by the end Hamilton was ahead by 5.x. Had that not been the case, Verstappen might have had an extra lap or so to battle Hamilton for the win. I get why VSC Is a thing, and I think it's a good thing, but this isn't the first time the gaps haven't been kept. It goes both ways too.

How are they actually enforced? Do the drivers just have a delta to follow? Or is it like slow zones at Le Mans where the drivers are actually speed limited?

I prefer the Le Mans approach, as the F1 VSC doesn't actually improve safety drastically in my opinion - a delta leads to drivers slowing right down then speeding up to get tyre/brake temperatures up, which means for a part of the sector, they are at practically racing speed. Why not just force them to put on the pit limiter, as at this speed the engines have enough power for the drivers to slightly ride the brakes to keep brake temps up and with the tyre temps, the brakes will heat them a little, and everyone will be in the same boat come the restart.
@Hughesy and @VetteIfan thanks for your responses, cleared up my confusion. 

I agree the Le Mans approach makes more sense. VSC should be full course speed limited. That way everyone is slowed at the same time for the same length. With the current, you have the opportunity to gain or lose out, when you really shouldn't. Of course a full limited would have some advantages depending where on track you are when it comes into effect (going green coming on to the back stretch will be more beneficial than if you were in the middle of the back stretch). 

The problem with VSC in shorter races is that it creates too much of an advantage or disadvantage for a driver that there isn't time to over come it. In endurance races there often times hours to make up a second or two, but not in F1. It needs adjusting in my opinion. 

@Hughesy and @VetteIfan thanks for your responses, cleared up my confusion. 

I agree the Le Mans approach makes more sense. VSC should be full course speed limited. That way everyone is slowed at the same time for the same length. With the current, you have the opportunity to gain or lose out, when you really shouldn't. Of course a full limited would have some advantages depending where on track you are when it comes into effect (going green coming on to the back stretch will be more beneficial than if you were in the middle of the back stretch). 

The problem with VSC in shorter races is that it creates too much of an advantage or disadvantage for a driver that there isn't time to over come it. In endurance races there often times hours to make up a second or two, but not in F1. It needs adjusting in my opinion. 
The trouble I can see with slowing everyone down is that there will have to be a point on track when you have to be slowed down by, so drivers will slam on their brakes at the last minute to slow in time, and there is potential for the drivers behind to be caught out and crash into the driver in front, which isn't good for a virtual SAFETY car.

Personally, I dont see what is wrong with a normal Safety Car, it has worked well for the last decades and it makes the racing and strategy more exciting, albeit artificially.

Problem with the actual SC is that sometimes we simply don't need it, the issue can be fixed in a matter of moments as long as the pack is slowed.

So how many laps do you waste fixing the issue?

AMS97KRR said:
Problem with the actual SC is that sometimes we simply don't need it, the issue can be fixed in a matter of moments as long as the pack is slowed.

So how many laps do you waste fixing the issue?

I know, that is a problem, I suppose the other option is a red flag which wastes even more time - I suppose another solution is that the leader has to put on the pit limiter, but the cars behind only have to stay to a delta, so the leader effectively becomes the Safety Car without there being an actual Safety Car, but the chances are this'll still waste time, as it won't be totally safe until all the cars have joined the queue.