Sign in to follow this  

Affordable Wheel for Grid Autosport

Hi all
New here, but not to game forums.
i'm looking for an affordable (under $100) steering wheel (and pedals if possible)
for Grid Autosport through Steam and run on PC with Windows 7/64.

I was looking at SRW-S1, but it looks not to be supported.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Possibly a Ferrari F430, maybe a G25, Logitech Momo, G27 if you're lucky not too sure on other makes, I am sure someone can chime in, G27 is coming down in price due to lack of support with next gen consoles although you can get an adaptor for XBone I am not sure about PS4, either way the price has dropped so it is good for PC owners.

Don't go too cheap for a steering wheel. The return speed is very important to actually be able to play the game instead of fighting against the steering wheel bad return speed.

The return speed is what make the wheel return to direction of the front tires direction. When the Force feed back is too slow the car tend to still steer at a unwanted direction because the steering wheel belt mechanism kind of hold the wheel too tight which make driving unrealistically shocking difficult, because you go cheap.

Here a video which kind of refer of what I mean & you clearly see how the t500rs return like a charm.

http://youtu.be/ZTXF3Dtt5y0

MrDeap said:

Don't go too cheap for a steering wheel. The return speed is very important to actually be able to play the game instead of fighting against the steering wheel bad return speed.

The return speed is what make the wheel return to direction of the front tires direction. When the Force feed back is too slow the car tend to still steer at a unwanted direction because the steering wheel belt mechanism kind of hold the wheel too tight which make driving unrealistically shocking difficult, because you go cheap.

Here a video which kind of refer of what I mean & you clearly see how the t500rs return like a charm.

http://youtu.be/ZTXF3Dtt5y0

He asked for a wheel under a $100. I don't think that those are within the scope, I have had a G25 for around 6 years and have used and abused it for over I reckon 100k miles across games and the thing just keeps rocking, I mean mine has had really heavy use in a shed and is dusty, worn, I have worn the pedals to the bolts and it still keeps ripping my arms out.

For your budget I would be looking at a G25 personally, it works so well with this game with the right settings.

Possibly a Ferrari F430, maybe a G25, Logitech Momo, G27 if you're lucky not too sure on other makes, I am sure someone can chime in, G27 is coming down in price due to lack of support with next gen consoles although you can get an adaptor for XBone I am not sure about PS4, either way the price has dropped so it is good for PC owners.
thanks for the replies and the info.  these above can all be used with a PC?

If you want to buy new wheel for around 100$ then it must be Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT) and nothing else. It has 900 degrees of rotation, solid force feedback and is almost unbreakable.
No need to spend twice (or more) as much money for G27. And T500 is for enthusiasts with bigger wallet. 

At their respective price points all three wheels offer great value for the money (DFGT, G27, T500RS). If your budget is $100 I'd go for the DFGT as it's a great entry point to racing with a wheel.

He asked for a wheel under a $100. I don't think that those are within the scope, I have had a G25 for around 6 years and have used and abused it for over I reckon 100k miles across games and the thing just keeps rocking, I mean mine has had really heavy use in a shed and is dusty, worn, I have worn the pedals to the bolts and it still keeps ripping my arms out.

For your budget I would be looking at a G25 personally, it works so well with this game with the right settings.

I would stick on a gamepad instead of going with a cheap wheel. Not only it offer bad experience & it also make you a worst driver on the real thing which is even worst.

Cheap wheel in my opinion is a terrible value. You always fight against that belt mechanism. It tend to brake much more easily & the longevity is not good for the price in comparison to a 300$~ wheel (mechanism much more robust & less stressed too).

I have a G25 at the moment. It does the job, but I tried the T500RS & plan to swap for something with similar mechanism in the future. I had a Driving Force which had a very short life,  Driving Force Pro which still work but don't use it, because it so annoying to use & it scream like if I had violated something. The belt feel it start to slip a bit on the Driving Force Pro which the G25 is still healthy.

I have been using said Driving Force Pro (DFGT is just next, updated version) since 2008 with Codies games (Grids, Dirts) and also with rFactor and GT6. With not bad outcome, i could at least keep up with players that use better wheels. And i haven't had any probs so far. In contrary to G25/7 which have some issues i heard.
I wudnt't call it "cheap". It's a very good construction. If your are a racing gear purist then you may find it not worthy, but there are many people who use it with success in sim games.

G25 has all metal pedals, the problem with the DFGT is the plastic pedals can fail, I have tried both and for me the G25 is superior, it also has sequential shift which they removed from the G27, but it is all down to personal taste.

I have a G27 but only got it recently, Prior to that I had a DFGT.

TBH the FFB for the DFGT is far more informative than the G27, you can feel much more of whats going on underneath you....